Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vrentas Again (46 Defense)

All League
    Another link to an article on the creation of the 46 defense:

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/08/02/layden.excerpt/index.html[/url]

When Rex and the Jets talk about the 46 I think they are talking about broad concepts: 8-in-the-box, delayed blitzed, disguised blitzes, overloads on one side of the line.

But I do have to say that the personnel is really favorable for a "true" 46 this year. You'd have Wilkerson, Pouha, DeVito lined up TNT against the interior lineman and then Coples wide on the weak side. Scott, Harris, Davis, Landry in the box. The only weakness is at FS and not having a third LB (Scott) you trust in zone coverage, which you could cover up, as one poster suggested, by swapping him for a nickel back (Wilson).

I like that 4-2-5 personnel group hybridized with a 46 formation a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4471269]When Rex and the Jets talk about the 46 I think they are talking about broad concepts: 8-in-the-box, delayed blitzed, disguised blitzes, overloads on one side of the line.

But I do have to say that the personnel is really favorable for a "true" 46 this year. You'd have Wilkerson, Pouha, DeVito lined up TNT against the interior lineman and then Coples wide on the weak side. Scott, Harris, Davis, Landry in the box. The only weakness is at FS and not having a third LB (Scott) you trust in zone coverage, which you could cover up, as one poster suggested, by swapping him for a nickel back (Wilson).

I like that 4-2-5 personnel group hybridized with a 46 formation a lot.[/QUOTE]

+1, good post

[QUOTE=Tackleem;4471269]When Rex and the Jets talk about the 46 I think they are talking about broad concepts: 8-in-the-box, delayed blitzed, disguised blitzes, overloads on one side of the line.

it seems the moves this offseason reflect that with the signing of landry and the picks of coples, davis, bush and allen. It should be really fun to watch the D develop. It seems the O will be better run and simplified too. I'm ready for training camp now!:yes:

Jets Insider VIP

Excellent thinking here!!!!

Really nice post!!!!

All Pro
    More Jets football information in that one article than everything Cimini or Manish have written all off season.