Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenrick Ellis Agrees to Plea Deal

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4471698]I worked in law enforcement for 12 years, if Kendrick is a first time offender, (which i don't know) there may be a good chance he just gets probation or a suspended sentence since he is only being convicted of misdemeanor assault & battery. Very rarely does a first time offender get & serve jail time for a misdemeanor.

If the plea deal specifically calls for him to serve the 90 day sentence, he will most likely serve no more then 60 days with gain-time for good behavior.

Jets DT Kenrick Ellis is expected to serve 90 days in jail after agreeing to plead guilty in exchange for a reduced charge of misdemeanor assault and battery.
    Ellis was originally charged with malicious wounding after breaking the jaw and nose of a man during an altercation on the Hampton (Va.) University campus. A native of Jamaica, Ellis will avoid deportation after the deal. He would miss training camp and return in late August if he serves the full 90-day sentence.

[URL]http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football[/URL][/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the info but the reports that have already been posted a few times in this thread indicate that he will serve 45 days with a possible reduction for any time served.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4471608]Goodell can't touch him. He wasn't in the NFL when the incident happened.[/QUOTE]

You think?

Go ask Terrelle Pryor.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471792]You think?

Go ask Terrelle Pryor.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.tehgladiators.com/images/eds-short-bus.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4471657]Why do you post complete crap?[/QUOTE]

That's too funny.

Go have another glass of kool aid.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4471777]Terrelle Pryor was a completely different situation.

Had to do with eligibility plus the NCAA had already given him a 5 game suspension. He wasn't given a flyer simply by entering the Supplemental Draft.[/QUOTE]

I am well aware of the circumstances that surrounded Pryor and Tressel. The NFL was trying uphold the NCAA's punishments, basically giving them more power for the future. He did not want the NFL to appear to be a safe-haven for NCAA violators.

However, my point was that the precedent has been set for players/personnel to be suspended by the league for things they have done while outside of the league.

I would not be surprised either way. I do not believe he should be suspended, however Goodell has been expanding the power of the commissioner and his jurisdictions ever since he took the job.

Apologies for not explaining myself better in the previous post.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4471617]Poor Pats fans..[/QUOTE]

WTF does this have to do with Pats fans?

Obsessed much?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4471801]I am well aware of the circumstances that surrounded Pryor and Tressel. The NFL was trying uphold the NCAA's punishments, basically giving them more power for the future. He did not want the NFL to appear to be a safe-haven for NCAA violators.

However, my point was that the precedent has been set for players/personnel to be suspended by the league for things they have done while outside of the league.

I would not be surprised either way. I do not believe he should be suspended, however Goodell has been expanding the power of the commissioner and his jurisdictions ever since he took the job.

Apologies for not explaining myself better in the previous post.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised either only because Goodell is obviously attempting to become Pete Rozelle on steroids.

My take is that Pryor was facing a suspension either way. It was his choice to go Supplemental and enter the league. I suppose Goodell saw that as an attempt to [U]circumvent the system[/U] and felt Pryor shouldn't be rewarded. That reward being primarily financial in nature IMO.

Ellis, on the other hand, has already been punished financially. As a result of his "incident," he fell down the draft board and lost millions of dollars.

The fact that the incident occurred while he was still playing college ball coupled with the obvious impact it subsequently had on his draft status should result in no action by Goodell. Completely different factual basis and circumstances than Pryor's.

If Goodell did try to suspend him, I would expect a ground-breaking lawsuit. JMO.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4471788]Further to Jordy's point, the issue with Pryor had direct consequence and correlation with the ongoing effort by the NFL and NCAA to join forces and promote policies to protect player and college football against sanctions of players receiving monetary gain or benefits.

Ellis' issue was an off the field legal matter. I doubt seriously that the NFL or Goodel can do anything with Ellis, maybe a visit to ensure the player realizes the NFL policies for players who get into legal trouble.

It is funny watching some of our Pat fan contingent pray Ellis gets suspended. That's a good thing, they must realize the Jets got a steal when selecting the player.

Fear noted.[/QUOTE]

I saw Ellis play last year, and he looks like a better version of Kris Jenkins in his prime. Without this legal matter hanging over his head, he is primed to become one of the best DL's in the NFL. :yes:

[QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4471813]WTF does this have to do with Pats fans?

Obsessed much?[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=patman;4471541]This is a guy who is going to play pro football for 50,000 grand a year. The rest will be going to his lawyer and the plaintiff.

I bet the plaintiff is biggest ellis fan in the world. Two years from now Ellis will be a FA, if he plays to his potential the guy will be rich.

No doubt that he will be suspended by the league.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4471817]I wouldn't be surprised either only because Goodell is obviously attempting to become Pete Rozelle on steroids.

My take is that Pryor was facing a suspension either way. It was his choice to go Supplemental and enter the league. I suppose Goodell saw that as an attempt to [U]circumvent the system[/U] and felt Pryor shouldn't be rewarded. That reward being primarily financial in nature IMO.

Ellis, on the other hand, has already been punished financially. As a result of his "incident," he fell down the draft board and lost millions of dollars.

The fact that the incident occurred while he was still playing college ball coupled with the obvious impact it subsequently had on his draft status should result in no action by Goodell. Completely different factual basis and circumstances than Pryor's.

If Goodell did try to suspend him, I would expect a ground-breaking lawsuit. JMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.

I do not think it warrants a suspension and I do think it would set a bad precedent. As as you said, these are COMPLETELY different circumstances. But it is not crazy to think that it could happen. There seems to be a lot of grey area regarding the commissioners power. IMO there is too much room for interpretation by him.

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4471820]I saw Ellis play last year, and he looks like a better version of Kris Jenkins in his prime. Without this legal matter hanging over his head, he is primed to become one of the best DL's in the NFL. :yes:[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Ellis has potential, there is no denying it, and there is no denying he would have gone earlier in the draft if not for the legal matter hanging over him.

Ellis can now focus on developing his game and potential without the legal matter cloud hanging over him.

I just find it funny seeing all the Pats fans chime in making guarantees about suspensions, or as in the case of verbose Ken, writing a 5 page thesis' about how much trouble Ellis is in.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

1. No one knows for sure whether he can be suspended or not. It is correct to say that Terelle Pryor and Jim Tressel are different situations but they do indicate that its a new world we are dealing with. While those situations weren't regarding criminal conduct, they did involve conduct prior to NFL employment. So, will Goodell extend this new disciplinary approach to other types of bad behavior (including criminal behavior)? My guess is probably not in this instance, as its ultimately a misdemeanor for a first time offender. And, we've seen a lot worse in the NFL than a college fight. But its just a guess. We really don't know how Goodell is going to act in the future regarding these situations. I'm sure if someone asked Goodell, he'd say that its a case by case basis but he reserves the right to do what he pleases.

2. Ellis is probably going to have to pay a chunk of money to this dude. Considering he pled guilty in the criminal proceeding (the deportation possibility was big leverage, no doubt), he can't really argue liability. Now, its just a matter of damages. I wonder if Uncle Woody would be willing to pitch in to a settlement. That's not a circumvension of the cap, is it? ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patman;4471541]This is a guy who is going to play pro football for 50,000 grand a year. The rest will be going to his lawyer and the plaintiff.

[/QUOTE]
    Have you considered that the Jets (Woody Johnson) drafted Ellis fully knowing that he was going to be looking at some rather large financial obligations and decided at that point to draft him and provide financial "support?"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4471827]:rolleyes:

Ellis has potential, there is no denying it, and there is no denying he would have gone earlier in the draft if not for the legal matter hanging over him.

Ellis can now focus on developing his game and potential without the legal matter cloud hanging over him.

I just find it funny seeing all the Pats fans chime in making guarantees about suspensions, or as in the case of verbose Ken, writing a 5 page thesis' about how much trouble Ellis is in.[/QUOTE]
    LOL. AFC is one of the best posters on this board and certainly a helluva lot more objective about both the Jets and Pats than you could ever hope to be.

There was nothing wrong with what he said. In fact, he was waving pom poms for Ellis. Something you should embrace.

All League
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4471820]I saw Ellis play last year, and he looks like a better version of Kris Jenkins in his prime. Without this legal matter hanging over his head, he is primed to become one of the best DL's in the NFL. :yes:[/QUOTE]Of course he very well might become one of the best DL's in the NFL. But its kind of hard to say he's "primed" given that he was a healthy scratch for 11 of the Jets 16 games. That's a LOT closer comparison to Ron Brace than to Kris Jenkins "in his prime". I see you are practicing your hyperbole today.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4471835]LOL. AFC is one of the best posters on this board and certainly a helluva lot more objective about both the Jets and Pats than you could ever hope to be.

There was nothing wrong with what he said. In fact, he was waving pom poms for Ellis. Something you should embrace.[/QUOTE]

I know what he was doing, ****brick.

I responded in kind.

Put your Dick Tracy detective kit away, nobody asked for your help.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4471835]LOL. AFC is one of the best posters on this board and certainly a helluva lot more objective about both the Jets and Pats than you could ever hope to be.

There was nothing wrong with what he said. In fact, he was waving pom poms for Ellis. Something you should embrace.[/QUOTE]

Why waste your time?

RamRod is the biggest homer on this board and does not have a clue about the game of football.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471842]Why waste your time?

RamRod is the biggest homer on this board and does not have a clue about the game of football.[/QUOTE]

I love it when Tx jumps on Jordy's lap.

It's hysterical.

Desperate troll!

Hall Of Fame
    What is worse?

Whining or

Whining about the whiners or

Whining about the whiners who weren't even whining.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471842]Why waste your time?

RamRod is the biggest homer on this board and does not have a clue about the game of football.[/QUOTE]

And you're a POS who'll hopefully get hit by a bus later today.