Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Kenrick Ellis Agrees to Plea Deal

From what I've read over the past few years, it takes three years for a D-Lineman to fully develop.

Luckily, this is just year 2 for Ellis. He should be seeing more snaps this season, especially in the 2nd half.

Next season will be year 3 for him, and if he's continuing to progress he should be a very nice addition to the line.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't so bad!

[QUOTE=GreenJoe;4473859]From what I've read over the past few years, it takes three years for a D-Lineman to fully develop.

Luckily, this is just year 2 for Ellis. He should be seeing more snaps this season, especially in the 2nd half.

Next season will be year 3 for him, and if he's continuing to progress he should be a very nice addition to the line.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't so bad![/QUOTE]

By fully develop do you mean reach his peak? Dline is one of the few positions (like RB) that you can come in and play at a high level straight out of college.

Ellis like all rookies was affected by the lack of a full camp, but by the end of the year he should have been up to speed.

All League
    [QUOTE=ozu;4473830]Updated info. He'll serve 45 days.[/QUOTE]

Even as I practiced criminal law, I thought that it was funny that the actual sentence was always a fraction of the sentence given by the court. At one point, we would negotiate with prosecutors and talk about ("3 for 1") as if it was normal.

As I understand it, Ellis would have gone higher than the third round if not for the issue of this criminal charge. Since that issue will now be behind him, we can hope that we're getting a quality young player who might be at the level of a first or second rounder.

Just imagine if that happens, and Coples turns out to be the real deal. And Wilkerson continues to progress.

Dreaming's ok, right? :O

[QUOTE=patman;4473868]By fully develop do you mean reach his peak? Dline is one of the few positions (like RB) that you can come in and play at a high level straight out of college.

Ellis like all rookies was affected by the lack of a full camp, but by the end of the year he should have been up to speed.[/QUOTE]

Translation : Yes, Yes, YES!!! Kenrick Ellis is a BUST!!! WOOOOOOOOOOT!!! (Hopefully he NEVER pans out!!!)

Sorry but that's what I get from your post, Pats fan. It may not be derived from THIS post of yours exactly but it's the underlying truth.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4473870]Even as I practiced criminal law, I thought that it was funny that the actual sentence was always a fraction of the sentence given by the court. At one point, we would negotiate with prosecutors and talk about ("3 for 1") as if it was normal.[/QUOTE]

You have a point. But I guess criminals are like department store shoppers on President's Day. They want to feel like they're getting a deal. ;)

[QUOTE=bullitt929;4473871]As I understand it, Ellis would have gone higher than the third round if not for the issue of this criminal charge. Since that issue will now be behind him, we can hope that we're getting a quality young player who might be at the level of a first or second rounder.

Just imagine if that happens, and Coples turns out to be the real deal. And Wilkerson continues to progress.

Dreaming's ok, right? :O[/QUOTE]

Not that far-fetched a dream. If everything pans out, those three could be as good or better than the Patriots' Seymour (Coples) - Wilfork (Ellis) - Warren (Wilkerson) line in its prime.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ozu;4473830]Updated info. He'll serve 45 days.

Quote:
    [QUOTE=;4473830]Originally Posted by @BrianCoz
    Per a plea agreement in Va. today, Jets DL Kenrick Ellis will serve 45 days in jail beginning June 15.

That info is from Ellis' attorney, Tim Clancy. If my math is correct, Ellis will miss the first few days of training camp.

Ellis won't miss any OTAs or mini-camp. Again, he won't go to jail until June 15. Pleaded to a lesser count of assault and battery.

Ellis entered an "Alford" plea, which does not admit guilt.

The specifics of the plea are 179 days in jail, with 89 days suspended, which leaves 90 days. In Va. that is cut in half so it is 45 days.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jordy;4473850]Thank you.

This is what a lot of us concluded would happen earlier in the thread without 12 years of law enforcement experience.

When does training camp start?[/QUOTE]

According to NFL.com, Jets training camp opens July 31st which means that Ellis could be there for the 1st day.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82108a5a/article/jets-could-be-afc-favorites-if-they-answer-key-questions[/url]

[QUOTE=crossfire;4473899]According to NFL.com, Jets training camp opens July 31st which means that Ellis could be there for the 1st day.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82108a5a/article/jets-could-be-afc-favorites-if-they-answer-key-questions[/url][/QUOTE]

Yup. They (Ellis' defense team) timed it on purpose...

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4473890]Not that far-fetched a dream. If everything pans out, those three could be as good or better than the Patriots' Seymour (Coples) - Wilfork (Ellis) - Warren (Wilkerson) line in its prime.[/QUOTE]

You're usually not one for hyperbole. First time for everything I 'spose.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4471620]Terrelle Pryor

Jim Tressel[/QUOTE]

Pryor was a completely different issue. They allowed him to enter the league in the supplemental draft with his agreement to be suspended. They could have easily told him to wait until next year, which would essentially be a 16 game suspension.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4473890]Not that far-fetched a dream. If everything pans out, those three could be as good or better than the Patriots' Seymour (Coples) - Wilfork (Ellis) - Warren (Wilkerson) line in its prime.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's wishful thinking, but I'm guessing you aren't wishing for that. Better than those guys is a pipe dream. Approaching those three would be more than enough for me.

Seymour and Wilfork are both HOF candidates and Warren, while perhaps a step below, was a top quality 3-4 DE prior to his injury issues.

IMO, those three guys were the quintessential 3-4 lineman.

[QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4473949]You're usually not one for hyperbole. First time for everything I 'spose.[/QUOTE]

I've been very hyperbolic lately about the Jets D-line. The talent's there for sure. Plus, it's the offseason, so why not err on the side of over-statement? :D

Good news. Hopefully he stays in shape while in the can.

Hit that weight room Kenrick and run laps in the yard.

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4474018]I've been very hyperbolic lately about the Jets D-line. The talent's there for sure. Plus, it's the offseason, so why not err on the side of over-statement? :D[/QUOTE]

I think this D-line has a chance to be something special. The quality of the talent reminds me of those sick Carolina Panthers d-lines from the early 2000's with Kris Jenkins and Julius Peppers. :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=ozu;4473830]Updated info. He'll serve 45 days.[/QUOTE]

Nowhere near 6 months as I said:

Jets DT Kenrick Ellis will serve 45 days in jail, beginning June 15, for his 2010 assault arrest.
    He'll only miss the "first few days of training camp," with league discipline possibly forthcoming. Ellis will serve 90 days behind bars all told, but the sentence appears to have been split. He's currently eligible to play in Week 1.
    Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter May 21 - 2:52 PM

[URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football"]http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    under the new CBA there are no practices allowed in the first 3 days of TC with two a days allowed after that 3 day period. So if TC starts on July 31 as it shows on nfl.com. Ellis will report on time and miss no days of training camp despite Dick Semen-i's claim

All League
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4473890]Not that far-fetched a dream. If everything pans out, those three could be as good or better than the Patriots' Seymour (Coples) - Wilfork (Ellis) - Warren (Wilkerson) line in its prime.[/QUOTE]Its possible, but I would question it.....of course

Coples - Seymour - Not a fair comparison. Seymour is 25lbs bigger and predominately a 2 gap 3-4 DE for the Pats during a time they played very little 4-3. Coples isn't built to play 2 gap 3-4. He's more of a 4-3 DE or a 1 gap 3-4 DE - Apples and oranges (BTW- few remember but Seymour spent most of his rookie year at NT)

Ellis-Wilfolk - Whether Ellis was a first round talent that got knocked down because of "situation" or a 7th round talent. Its irrelevant. All you know for certain about Ellis was he was only good enough to dress for only 5 of the Jets 16 games. Comparing him with Wilfolk at this point is ludicrous

Wilkerson - Warren - On a brighter note, I thought Wilkerson's first year was probably better than Warren's rookie campaign. From what I gather from comments here and around the league, Wilkerson started from day one and was a solid contributor all season. Warren was just a rotational guy his first year and didn't come into his own until his 2nd year.

A lot of Pats fans compared him to Warren (a compliment btw) and liked him a lot in that draft and hoped he'd be a Patriot.

BTW-the REAL Ty Warren is likely to be available before July as a cap casualty for the Broncos. I don't know what he has left after missing 2 full years, but he's not that old, and he's a good guy and at least WAS, a very good DE/DT

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4474291]Nowhere near 6 months as I said:

[/QUOTE]

LOL. Along with about 30 other posters.

Way to go out on a limb there ARod.

Thank goodness we had your 12 years of law enforcement experience to guide us through this difficult time.

Practice Squad

So Tanny's gamble paid off?

So here's a question for the draftniks out there. If the other 31 teams knew before the draft that the total outcome would mean missing 5 days of train g camp in his second year where would Ellis have been drafted?

What kind of a draft "bargain" does that make him?