Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Kenrick Ellis Agrees to Plea Deal

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BUD329;4474510]So here's a question for the draftniks out there. If the other 31 teams knew before the draft that the total outcome would mean missing 5 days of train g camp in his second year where would Ellis have been drafted?

What kind of a draft "bargain" does that make him?[/QUOTE]

I'm no draftnik, but my guess would be 2nd round. Even without the felony charge, he had some issues at South Carolina that raised some character red flags and probably would have kept him out of Round 1.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BUD329;4474510]So here's a question for the draftniks out there. If the other 31 teams knew before the draft that the total outcome would mean missing 5 days of train g camp in his second year where would Ellis have been drafted?

I'm not sure that this guy was a first rounder, legal problems or not. People say he has first round talent, but he's raw. That doesn't mean that he was otherwise projected to be in the first round. He's totally unpolished and needs a lot of work to get up to speed in the NFL.

More than anything, I think his legal problems caused some teams to drop him off their board completely, not so much that his draft stock plummeted. I can't see a guy like him (judging by what we've seen from him) taken in the first round - he was not really NFL ready. Perhaps he dropped 1/2 a round. Still worthwhile, but I'd say the jury is still out on him. The NFL jury that is. He avoided the other one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but Dontari Poe went 11th overall because he threw up 44 bench reps. Ellis "only" did 26, but has 3 inch longer arms, bigger hands and a better vertical and 3 cone (lol) than Poe. But the most important thing, while both guys are listed at 345 (or so), Ellis actually made plays in college and flashed potential. Poe did nothing in freaking Conference USA. There was a chance Ellis would have went pretty high

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4474528]Not sure but Dontari Poe went 11th overall because he threw up 44 bench reps. Ellis "only" did 26, but has 3 inch longer arms, bigger hands and a better vertical and 3 cone (lol) than Poe. But the most important thing, while both guys are listed at 345 (or so), Ellis actually made plays in college and flashed potential. Poe did nothing in freaking Conference USA. There was a chance Ellis would have went pretty high[/QUOTE]

Ellis is an inch taller than Poe and they have the same weight. He also jumped three inches higher than Poe, three inches shorter in the broad jump, and was .06 seconds faster in the 3 cone drill (which tests outside pass rush moves) But:

Poe put up 44 reps on the bench. Ellis did 26.
    Poe ran his 40 in 4.98 seconds. Ellis ran a 5.19.
    Poe had a 4.56 short shuttle. Ellis had a 4.88

Bottom line, Poe's speed and strength numbers were what made him a first rounder. With Ellis, people saw him more as a mid-second player (on talent alone). Picking him up at the end of the third was a steal

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Tom Brady insulted his girlfriend.

Just sayin' :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4474514]I'm no draftnik, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so my guess would be 2nd round. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for your insight.

:rolleyes::P

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Mayock on Kenrick Ellis: "I don't think Kenrick Ellis is going to get out of the second round.."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is just a big bundle of potential right now and he should be able to throw himself into this season with a passion once he is all done with these other distractions.

I am looking forward to seeing Ellis cause some disruptions this year and forcing the hand of the coaching staff in terms of playing time. That would be an excellent result. Kenrick Ellis got more snaps because the other team could not handle him.

While we certainly do not want any of our players getting into trouble with the law or with the league office it also does no harm if your DT has a mean streak. Look at Vince Wilfork or Albert Haynesworth on that score.

Anyone anointing Ellis to be the next coming of Kris Jenkins or anyone else for that matter based upon practically zero playing time in 2011 is smoking something. Maybe he turns into a monster but we really have not witnessed any of that yet.
    Last edited by EM31; 05-22-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;4474676]
    While we certainly do not want any of our players getting into trouble with the law or with the league office it also does no harm if your DT has a mean streak. [/QUOTE]

let's hope the clink doesn't make him see the light and soften him up. Surely not in 45 days

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;4474676]He is just a big bundle of potential right now and he should be able to throw himself into this season with a passion once he is all done with these other distractions.
    [/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that his distractions aren't over yet - the civil suit is next.... While it's not deportation, I have to imagine it's pretty stressful...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of factors that impact when a player gets drafted: Physical tools, mental tools, "motor," intangibles, potential, and off field issues.

With players like Ellis (with his problems at South Carolina and the felony charge), each team has to make its own risk/reward evaluation. Some teams are very risk averse on character issues, other teams like the Raiders tend to favor the misfits of the world.

With the exception of Andrew Luck, every single player drafted was passed on by other teams before they were ultimately picked.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    So here is the actual break down of Ellis's sentence:

Under the plea agreement, Ellis was sentenced to 179 days in jail, [B]with 89 suspended. The 90-day sentence gets cut to 45 based on good behavior under Virginia law. He also received two years of unsupervised probation.[/B]

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_lineman_going_to_jail_ftJckyaHnyBjdHWKwii6rO#ixzz1vimk2VOG[/url]

Not a bad deal for Ellis and I doubt he would have received any jail time at all had he not put the guy in the hospital.

Unsupervised probation is nothing like probation in the traditional sense, unsupervised means he will not have a probation officer to deal with whatsoever.

As long as he keeps his nose clean from here on out, he should come away from this none the worse for wear.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-23-2012 at 11:27 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4472722]If he actually winds up doing jail time [U]it's unlikely he will get probation with it[/U].

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4475604]So here is the actual break down of Ellis's sentence:

Under the plea agreement, Ellis was sentenced to 179 days in jail, with 89 suspended. The 90-day sentence gets cut to 45 based on good behavior under Virginia law. [U]He also received two years of unsupervised probation[/U].

[/QUOTE]

You called it.