Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenrick Ellis Agrees to Plea Deal

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SINYJets;4471433]Is the league going to suspend him?[/QUOTE]

It's his first offense so probably not.

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4471438]It's his first offense so probably not.[/QUOTE]

I hope not since it is due to an act that occurred before he was in the league.

Veteran
    Kenrick Ellis has had a legal case pending for his entire tenure with the Jets, but that case has wrapped up with a plea agreement, the victim's attorney said today.
    The Jets defensive lineman was due to face trial on a malicious wounding felony charge next week, but S. Howard Woodson said his client and the victim in the case, Dennis Eley, has reluctantly agreed to a plea agreement for a lesser charge.
    According to Woodson, the terms of the agreement are that Ellis will plead guilty to assault and battery, a misdemeanor charge. That plea will come with six months of active jail time, but per Virginia law, he will only have to serve half, i.e. 90 days in jail. He could also receive credit for time served.
    One potential complication with the case was that Ellis faced the possibility of being deported if convicted of a felony, because he is a U.S. permanent resident, ESPN New York reported. It appears that Ellis is now safe from deportation by pleading to a misdemeanor, though the Commonwealth's Attorney could not be reached to verify.
    The case stemmed from an April 2010 incident while Ellis was a student at Hampton University. The Jets selected Ellis in the third round of last year's draft despite his pending legal issues and said they were comfortable with the risk.
    Woodson said his client will likely continue to pursue a civil claim against Ellis. It was originally filed last year for $3 million, before being withdrawn because it was about to lapse. If refiled, the suit could be for less money given the outcome of the criminal case.
    Ellis declined to answer questions about his legal situation yesterday because the case was still pending.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Maury77;4471445]I hope not since it is due to an act that occurred before he was in the league.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that matters. Wasn't the QB from OSU suspended when he got to the Raiders due to stuff that happened in college?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He needs to work out while locked up and get his ass in shape. Wait, what???

Hall Of Fame
    Is this immediate or will they wait until after the season?

Jets Insider VIP
    90 day prison sentence for self defense.....and yet Belichick remains free. Go figure!

:shakehead

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=revischrist;4471429]Who cares at this point? From a football perspective I could care less. From a TMZ perspective i suppose it still matters.[/QUOTE]

Considering he'd have to take time to meet with lawyers, respond to depositions and interrogatories and possibly spend time in a courtroom for several days...I guess it's not important and wouldn't take any time away from his football actvities.

Not that everything is about football anway.

Man talk about baggage, that's why teams stay away from certain players...he's a Jet so I'm wishing him well.

sucks he will probably miss most of the offseason training + training camp. but at least it'll be over.

and maybe he'll get jacked in prison....

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4471398]Typically most courts will offer pro athletes a suspended sentence that he can serve probably next Feb-Apr. I doubt he serves anything this offseason.[/QUOTE]

As a Jets fan I'm happy, but as a person that really twist my balls good right there. Any other regular person doesn't have the flexibility to serve a sentence when its convenient to them, but athletes and entertainers can? They should have to follow the same rules everyone else has to follow.
    Last edited by dmitexxi; 05-17-2012 at 05:54 PM.

[QUOTE=AceBoy;4471481]Man talk about baggage, that's why teams stay away from certain players...[/QUOTE]

That's EXACTLY what we're hoping -- that this kid is the real deal, and the only reason he slid to us is b/c other teams didn't want to take the risk we did.

If it really turns out this is all behind him, we may have a MAJOR coup on our hands . . .:eek::yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4471469]90 day prison sentence for self defense.....and yet Belichick remains free. Go figure!

:shakehead[/QUOTE]

Lolz....we do hate the patsies don't we.....:P

Rookie
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4471469]90 day prison sentence for self defense.....and yet Belichick remains free. Go figure!

:shakehead[/QUOTE]

Tell us again who Belichick assaulted ?

Someone hit the nail on the head with regard to pro athletes vs blue collar guys and the USCJS .

This is a guy who is going to play pro football for 50,000 grand a year. The rest will be going to his lawyer and the plaintiff.

I bet the plaintiff is biggest ellis fan in the world. Two years from now Ellis will be a FA, if he plays to his potential the guy will be rich.

No doubt that he will be suspended by the league.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=patman;4471541]This is a guy who is going to play pro football for 50,000 grand a year. The rest will be going to his lawyer and the plaintiff.

I bet the plaintiff is biggest ellis fan in the world. Two years from now Ellis will be a FA, if he plays to his potential the guy will be rich.

[B]No doubt that he will be suspended by the league[/B].[/QUOTE]
    Based on what?

[QUOTE=patman;4471541]This is a guy who is going to play pro football for 50,000 grand a year. The rest will be going to his lawyer and the plaintiff.

No doubt that he will be suspended by the league.[/QUOTE]

Can the league suspend him for something that happened before he was even in the league? That's BS. Maybe if he lied about it and they found out after he joined but that's not the case.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4471551]Can the league suspend him for something that happened before he was even in the league? That's BS. Maybe if he lied about it and they found out after he joined but that's not the case.[/QUOTE]
    Before anyone goes any further, the Terrelle Pryor situation is completely different than Ellis'.

Hall Of Fame
    Cool outcome.

I wonder what specific charge he is pleading to.

Woody got his money's worth from the legal talent here. The DA, the Judge or the immigration and naturalization service could have decided to be hard nosed but it got worked out and smoothed over in favor of the Jets.

In a civil case you cannot "unplead" an earlier plea from a criminal case so whatever Ellis is pleading to here will be assumed to be true in the civil case. Ellis can assume he will be paying over some chunk of money to the victim (no longer "alleged").

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SINYJets;4471433]Is the league going to suspend him?[/QUOTE]

Can't. He wasn't in the league when it happened.