Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Jets, Quinton Coples agree to four-year deal

New York Jets, Quinton Coples agree to four-year deal

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8292b43d/article/new-york-jets-quinton-coples-agree-to-fouryear-deal?module=HP11_breaking_news[/url]

[QUOTE]New York Jets and their first round draft pick Quinton Coples have reached an agreement on a four-year deal, according to a club source.

Coples was selected No. 16 overall out of North Carolina.

Coples is tied for third in Tar Heel history with 24 sacks, including 17.5 in his last two years, despite having four position coaches and two head coaches during his college career.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know the financial details?

EDIT: [url]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7943242/source-new-york-jets-quinton-coples-agree-terms-four-year-deal[/url]
    Last edited by GreeneWarMachine; 05-17-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The Jets have to hit on this pick, absolute must. The drafting has been shaky the past few years. Rex should spend a ton of time with Coples, Sparano should do the same with Sanchez.

Updated OP with Cimini article
    Last edited by GreeneWarMachine; 05-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

I look for this guy to make a name for himself, and boost his value..which certainly bodes well for the JETS..

He is a beast.

All Pro
    I love the rookie contracts now. 9 mill over 4 years certainly isn't peanuts - but it's hardly a taste of that NFL "big money" and hopefully helps motivate (i know it shouldn't) young guys to keep it at full throttle upon coming into the pros.

All League
    Glad to see this signing is out of the way.

Why isn't it 5 years?

[QUOTE=movethechains;4471570]Why isn't it 5 years?[/QUOTE]

I think they are all 4 years now with 5th Year team option

Veteran
    Jets sign first-round pick Coples

The Jets have signed a four-year deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples, a DE from North Carolina who was selected 16th overall in last month’s NFL draft. The deal is fully guaranteed, has a standard team option for a fifth year, and is worth about $9 million total, according to a league source. Coples had 17.5 sacks his last two seasons with the Tar Heels, and Jets’ coach Rex Ryan already has said Coples will start for the Jets this season.
    The team also announced the signing of seventh-round pick Antonio Allen, a S from South Carolina. That means the Jets only have two unsigned draft picks, third-rounder Demario Davis, a LB from Arkansas State, and seventh-rounder Jordan White, a WR from Western Michigan.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4471535]The Jets have to hit on this pick, absolute must. The drafting has been shaky the past few years. Rex should spend a ton of time with Coples, Sparano should do the same with Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

AGREED. Jets have been looking for a pass rush for a long time now. It'd be nice if they finally had the goods to put the QB on his a$$.

Hall Of Fame
    Got to love the new CBA with these rookie deals. IMO, best part of the CBA.

Its nice to know (especially for us) that a bad pick is not going to cripple the cap.

Does anybody know if they addressed rookie contract holdouts in the CBA? I mean lets say a 2012 rookie wants to hold out in 2014, what happens?

[QUOTE=movethechains;4471570]Why isn't it 5 years?[/QUOTE]

Part of CBA deal. All deals are 4 years now.

Looking forward to see how they use him. Defense could be very special this year.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4471573]I think they are all 4 years now with 5th Year team option[/QUOTE]

was one of the concessions in the new CBA. In exchange for rookie salary slotting, no more 5 - 6 year contracts. It's a tradeoff. Rookies are signed very easily (no more rookie holdouts) but in exchannge they get to negotiate for larger contracts sooner than they used to.

I am loving the new CBA for this reason alone. The days of rookie holdouts are gone apparently.

signed this beast!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4471590]Jets sign first-round pick Coples

The Jets have signed a four-year deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples, a DE from North Carolina who was selected 16th overall in last month’s NFL draft. The deal is fully guaranteed, has a standard team option for a fifth year, and is worth about $9 million total, according to a league source. Coples had 17.5 sacks his last two seasons with the Tar Heels, and Jets’ coach Rex Ryan already has said Coples will start for the Jets this season.
    The team also announced the signing of seventh-round pick Antonio Allen, a S from South Carolina. [B]That means the Jets only have two unsigned draft picks, third-rounder Demario Davis, a LB from Arkansas State, and seventh-rounder Jordan White, a WR from Western Michigan[/B].[/QUOTE]

I am happy that Coples is signed but Tanny needs to get Demario Davis locked up, this kid is going to be the steal of the draft.

Can't wait to see him playing in Jets Green & White.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-18-2012 at 05:43 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4471573]I think they are all 4 years now with 5th Year team option[/QUOTE]

Yup...franchise type deal for 5th year, I think.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4472365]I am happy that Coples is signed but Tanny needs to get Demario Davis locked up, this kid is going to be the steal of the draft.

Can't wait to see him playing in Jets Green & White.[/QUOTE]

How long can a 3rd rounder holdout Arod?

[QUOTE=Paradis;4471545]I love the rookie contracts now. 9 mill over 4 years certainly isn't peanuts - but it's hardly a taste of that NFL "big money" and hopefully helps motivate (i know it shouldn't) young guys to keep it at full throttle upon coming into the pros.[/QUOTE]

This, plus all the concern about whether or not a player is going to holdout pretty much goes out the window. It's a much more peaceful transaction.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4472398]How long can a 3rd rounder holdout Arod?[/QUOTE]

Exactly - holdouts are a thing of the past...we can rest easy these days.