Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Weatherford on Sanchez - by our favorite blogger

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;4471807]wonder what our 4th string long snapper from 2 years ago thinks of sanchez? hope cimini tracks him down[/QUOTE]

+1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4471739]Cimini article from ESPN:

"I like Mark -- I think he's a very talented quarterback -- but from my standpoint, I haven't seen a lot of maturation," said Weatherford ...

[b]But as the years go on[/b], I think you're expected to mature, skill-wise, and also mature as a leader, and to be honest with you, as much as I like the guy, [b]I just haven't seen that.[/b]"[/QUOTE]

Of course not. LOL

Weatherford played for 5 teams in 6 years and hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to make such an observation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Braumeister;4471881]Do you think he'd laugh if you had a stroke?

I know I would.[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there will be a bounty on that Johnny Knoxville-lookin' punk.

POSSIBLY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    can't weatherford is very credible. sounds like some payback since he took some good hits for the jets failures when he was punter. but some of what he says rings true. sanchez knows enough to say the right things but it is doubtful that it is more than just lip service. that's okay if it's in front of the media but he needs to take control of his team. schitty sure couldn't. right now tebow has much greater leadership skills than sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Punters aren't football players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4472305]Punters aren't football players.[/QUOTE]

If they suck, you will care about them on the football field. A lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471975]I have seen Sanchez for 3 years. I have watched him start 53 games. I do not need to see anymore to realize that he is not the right qb for this team. Can he be a good qb on another team? Maybe. But its not happening here.

Give Tebow a shot now. But the Jets will do this the roundabout way and we will see tebow as our starting qb come october.[/QUOTE]

Take the bet I offered ucrenegade, if Tebow starts in October or sooner, I'll take a year off from posting. If not, you take a year off. An injury to Sanchez doesn't count of course. He pu$$ed out, but I'm sure you're in right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4472362]Take the bet I offered ucrenegade, if Tebow starts in October or sooner, I'll take a year off from posting. If not, you take a year off. An injury to Sanchez doesn't count of course. He pu$$ed out, but I'm sure you're in right?[/QUOTE]

nah never pussed out a sig bet is one thing but taking a whole year off is to much.............esp when people have lots of screen names now their is no control for that kind of bet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4472302]can't weatherford is very credible. sounds like some payback since he took some good hits for the jets failures when he was punter. but some of what he says rings true. sanchez knows enough to say the right things but it is doubtful that it is more than just lip service. that's okay if it's in front of the media but he needs to take control of his team. schitty sure couldn't. [b]right now tebow has much greater leadership skills than sanchez.[/b][/QUOTE]

Based on what? His stint in Denver with Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472372]nah never pussed out a sig bet is one thing but taking a whole year off is to much.............esp when people have lots of screen names now their is no control for that kind of bet.[/QUOTE]

Ok fair enough, how about a charity bet. Doesn't have to be much $25, winner chooses where the money goes to. Loser has to post proof.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16;4472232]:eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

Tell me that motherf*cker doesn't deserve to be treated like garbage. I dare you.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4472318]If they suck, you will care about them on the football field. A lot.[/QUOTE]

That's great kid, but they aren't football players.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4472362]Ok fair enough, how about a charity bet. Doesn't have to be much $25, winner chooses where the money goes to. Loser has to post proof. [/QUOTE]

Make it fifty and donate my winnings to the board ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4472540]That's great kid, but they aren't football players.[/QUOTE]

People who play in football games are football players to me. Hate on kickers and punters all you want, but they often decide the outcome of the trench battles between the only ones you consider football players. That must piss you off... non-football players deciding the outcome of football games.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4472559]People who play in football games are football players to me. Hate on kickers and punters all you want, but they often decide the outcome of the trench battles between the only ones you consider football players. That must piss you off... non-football players deciding the outcome of football games.[/QUOTE]

I read on here somewhere that Matt Prater won all the clutch games for the donkeys last year..

If I could pick a position to be in the NFL, not sure it wouldn't be punter.. seems like a decent spot to get a ring without the distinct risks involved with some of the other positions... :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    More from Weatherford posted in the NY Post:

[I][COLOR="Navy"]Apparently not enjoying seeing “Weatherford rips Sanchez’’ headlines after his critique went public, Weatherford went to Twitter to try to smooth out the rough edges of his comments.
    “Dear bloggers, Mark Sanchez will make people forget about Tebow, but the competition will sharpen him. He has what it takes to be great,’’ Weatherford wrote.
    Later, he wrote: “They definitely took it out of context. I have a lot of respect for Mark Sanchez.’’
    and that “Mark’s a great competitor and close friend.’’He also wrote that he spoke to Sanchez about the remarks.[/COLOR][/I]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4471739]Cimini article from ESPN:

Mark Sanchez has received a lot of criticism this offseason, the latest coming from an unlikely source -- the punter.

Wait, make that the ex-punter.

New York Giant Steve Weatherford, whose 15 minutes of fame have lasted five months, questioned Sanchez's maturity this week during an NFL.com podcast.

"I like Mark -- I think he's a very talented quarterback -- but from my standpoint, I haven't seen a lot of maturation," said Weatherford, making the media rounds this week because the Giants received their Super Bowl rings. "When you're a quarterback and you come in, and you're expected to be the face of the franchise, and you're expected to lead the team.

"That's a lot to take on as a rookie. But as the years go on, I think you're expected to mature, skill-wise, and also mature as a leader, and to be honest with you, as much as I like the guy, I just haven't seen that."

Weatherford has been removed from the Jets for a year. He was Sanchez's teammate in 2009 and 2010, when they reached back-to-back AFC Championship Games, but the Jets decided not to re-sign Weatherford last offseason. He landed with the Giants and, lo and behold, he was a pivotal player in their championship run, landing a new contract.

Weatherford also was critical of Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff at various points during the season.[/QUOTE]
    Is it too late to put a leaguewide bounty on this jackass? I'd like to put up some cash, anyone interested?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4471739]Weatherford also was critical of Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff at various points during the season.[/QUOTE]

... this alone removes him from my "value this guys opinion" list :yes: ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=R. Tyme;4472681]More from Weatherford posted in the NY Post:

[I][COLOR="Navy"]Apparently not enjoying seeing “Weatherford rips Sanchez’’ headlines after his critique went public, Weatherford went to Twitter to try to smooth out the rough edges of his comments.
    “Dear bloggers, Mark Sanchez will make people forget about Tebow, but the competition will sharpen him. He has what it takes to be great,’’ Weatherford wrote.
    Later, he wrote: “They definitely took it out of context. I have a lot of respect for Mark Sanchez.’’
    and that “Mark’s a great competitor and close friend.’’He also wrote that he spoke to Sanchez about the remarks.[/COLOR][/I][/QUOTE]

Did Weatherford mention that it took him 6 years to develop into a punter worthy of a multi-year deal?