Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Lal and HUNTER praise Santonio

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Lal and HUNTER praise Santonio

Per Rotoworld via NY Post:

Jets WRs coach Sanjay Lal indicated that Santonio Holmes has been "very eager, very football-hungry, very competitive" in offseason practices.

"He's been great," added RT Wayne Hunter, who feuded with Holmes last season. "He's been doing extra stuff that people wouldn't believe. He's been doing extra with Mark. He's been doing stuff that he hasn't done in the past. He's been a team player, and it's been a good change." Holmes is an outstanding value at his current mid-ninth round ADP.

I was completely anti-Holmes a few months back and wanted him gone. But after cooling down a bit, I have decided to give him a clean slate for this coming season. Hunter, too. All the Jets and coaches, actually. But if Holmes sulks again, they need to can him. Looking forward to a hungry Holmes ... here's hoping they all play nice this season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    whole story here:

Santonio impresses new Jets wide receiver coach
    By BRIAN COSTELLO

When Sanjay Lal took the job as Jets wide receivers coach he heard all of the stories about Santonio Holmes.

The Jets season had just ended a few weeks earlier with Holmes sitting on the bench in Miami for the final two minutes after fighting with teammates on the field. Holmes was labeled a “cancer,” there was speculation the Jets might get rid of him and the relationship between he and quarterback Mark Sanchez had deteriorated.

Lal decided to ignore all of it. The 42-year-old coach, who spent the last five years with the Raiders, wanted to make his own evaluation.

“A lot of things I had read or been told occur every day on every NFL sideline,” Lal said. “They’re just not shown. I can honestly say I’ve had to manage receivers between plays, between series, very similar things. It truly is because the good ones are so competitive they just want the ball. What makes them good is that quality, so there is frustration attached to it at times.”

Lal spoke with Holmes a few times after taking the job, but they could not discuss football until the offseason program began in April. For the past five weeks, Lal has gotten to watch Holmes work up close. Lal said Holmes has been, “very eager, very football-hungry, very competitive.”

The coaches have been able to work with the players on the field for the last three weeks. Other than Holmes, the Jets receivers are very inexperienced. Lal has leaned on Holmes to tutor the younger players.

“He loves coaching technique as much as I do,” Lal said. “So, when we go out there he’ll take his rep and then he’ll help with the technique with the rest of the guys. He knows what I’m looking for. He sees it a lot through my eyes and I see it through his eyes. It’s a good synergy I’d say.”

Lal is not the only one who has noticed Holmes’ contributions on the practice field.

“He’s been great,” said tackle Wayne Hunter, who was one of the players who fought with Holmes in Miami. “Santonio has been great. He’s been doing extra stuff that people wouldn’t believe. He’s been doing extra with Mark. He’s been doing stuff that he hasn’t done in the past. He’s been a team player, and it’s been a good change.”

Lal replaced Henry Ellard, who spent three seasons as the Jets receivers coach. The Jets receivers had a down year in 2011. Holmes and Plaxico Burress never clicked with Sanchez. Derrick Mason was shipped out after the first month of the season. The receivers room was a problem for the Jets.

The group underwent a makeover this offseason, starting with Lal. The Jets also let Burress walk, signed Chaz Schilens and then drafted Stephen Hill in the second round of last month’s draft.

Hill could be the team’s second receiver. His biggest hurdle is adjusting to the NFL after playing in a triple-option offense at Georgia Tech.

“I think physically he’ll be OK,” Lal said. “Because he’s a blank slate physically he doesn’t have a lot of bad habits. Mentally is where the challenges will come. He’ll see looks and coverages that he might not have seen before. So, the mental side of the game is where his challenges will come.”

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow is impressing, holmes is impressing, Sparano is impressing, Hunter is impressing. All is well in Jetland. Until the 1st loss that is.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471854]Tebow is impressing, holmes is impressing, Sparano is impressing, Hunter is impressing. All is well in Jetland. Until the 1st loss that is.[/QUOTE]

That's every team around the league right now. Don't you think last season could be somewhat of a wake up call? Jets lost games in Rex's first two years and it didn't seem to be a problem. The locker room didn't collapse. Last year was one of those years. It happens. In sports, at work, in life, it happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471854]Tebow is impressing, holmes is impressing, Sparano is impressing, Hunter is impressing. All is well in Jetland. Until the 1st loss that is.[/QUOTE]

and what else is new? All teams are doing this at this point in the pre season. You act like this kind of pre season rhetoric is unique to the Jets. Oh... I get it... you will seize any and every opportunity to bring your dark cloud of negativity to the board. Your mission in life apparently. You are a pathetic fan. Why not just go away? Permanently.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of this should surprise anyone. When the jets were on hard knocks, Holmes looked like a mentor to the young WRs. Holmes issue is being a team player in pre-season or when the Jets are in the AFCCG, it's when things go bad that you have an issue. Either way, he is too talented to just cut and has plenty of big plays in him. Hopefully, he starts off hot this year and Sanchez gets him the ball consistently.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]All teams are doing this at this point in the pre season.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what my post meant. But you somehow turned it into me being negative. You should change your outlook on post reading. You seem to want to find the negative in things.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471854]Tebow is impressing, holmes is impressing, Sparano is impressing, Hunter is impressing. All is well in Jetland. [B]Until the 1st loss that is[/B].[/QUOTE]

isn't THAT your negative point?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471900]Exactly what my post meant. But you somehow turned it into me being negative. You should change your outlook on post reading. You seem to want to find the negative in things.[/QUOTE]

yeah, you're never negative! What were we thinking? :rolleyes:

[SIZE="1"]in case you didn't know it, you are one of the top 5 negative posters on JI. Sorry to have to be the one to inform you.[/SIZE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to be able to recognize the good and bad, and this is as good as you can get presently. We could be reading article about how Holmes is uncooperative with the new staff and Hunter is out of shape. The direct opposite, all are being praised by the coaches. Today, all is good....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471900]Exactly what my post meant. But you somehow turned it into me being negative. You should change your outlook on post reading. You seem to want to find the negative in things.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you have a 6,000+ post history of negativity to base assumptions on :i_dont_kn

Maybe not 6,000+, actually... Any post about Chad would have been all rainbows and kittens...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting article.

Sure seems like Santonio is on board with the changes the Jets have made this off-season.

It's even more interesting when you factor in milsan's thread about his visit with Santonio, milsan mentions that Santonio is happy about the changes that have been made and hints that there new pieces in place that have made a dramatic turn for the better of the team.

Most of us all assume that only included Schottenheimer, and this is probably the biggest change, but not many are talking about the Jets' decision to also let go of their WR's coach last year, Henry Ellard.

I seem to recall Ellard and Holmes not having very good body language on the sideline last year, I wonder if his removal for the team was also calculated due to the issues in the locker room last year.

Think about it, the pieces that are gone from last year, Schotty, Ellard, and Callahan, those are 3 major pieces, and so far, the players are raving about their replacements, Sparano, DeGuglielmo, and now Lal, and vice versa.

We also know that not only did our offense struggle, but the WR play struggled, as did the OL. When you think about the struggles last year, many forget that it wasn't just with Holmes, Mason had problems and was eventually released, Burress was definitely up an down and didn't meet expectations, a lot happened at the WR position last year, again, much to consider and reflect on what really did happen last year that we still don't know about.

Much more to consider about the problems from last year, than just Schotty.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4471846]Per Rotoworld via NY Post:

Jets WRs coach Sanjay Lal indicated that Santonio Holmes has been "very eager, very football-hungry, very competitive" in offseason practices.

"He's been great," added RT Wayne Hunter, who feuded with Holmes last season. "He's been doing extra stuff that people wouldn't believe. He's been doing extra with Mark. He's been doing stuff that he hasn't done in the past. He's been a team player, and it's been a good change." Holmes is an outstanding value at his current mid-ninth round ADP.

I was completely anti-Holmes a few months back and wanted him gone. But after cooling down a bit, I[B] have decided to give him a clean slate for this coming season. Hunter, too.[/B] All the Jets and coaches, actually. But if Holmes sulks again, they need to can him. Looking forward to a hungry Holmes ... here's hoping they all play nice this season.[/QUOTE]

As diehard Jets fans, sadly, we have no other choice. We have no other WR on teh roster even in Holmes neighborhood as far as resume, obviously. While Hunter does not have much of a resume, we don't seem to have anyone better (yea Tebow!:rolleyes:)

We're gonna ride or die with both of these dudes in '12. Fingers crossed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    These are nice to hear and all but these are they typical offseason lovefest articles that don't mean a helluva a lot.

That being said, I'm not surprised to hear a lot of the stuff that Lal is saying about Holmes. While I have no doubt that he has true elements of the self-centered SOB that we saw at the end of the season, its not that simple to paint him with that brush and leave it alone.

We saw some very good stuff from him on Hard Knocks. He spent a lot of time with Joe McKnight talking to him about how to act, how to run a route and it really seemed like he was spending time on the technical side of the game. Not just a dude going through the motions just looking for a pay check.

I think there are elements of truth to the point that Lal is making - competitive athletes want the ball. And they want to win. Holmes came off as a cancer last year, and probably deservedly so. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that he is/will be a cancer to this team for the long term. He probably made some mistakes and decisions that he wishes he hadn't done. But, its very possible to move on from that and while these positive articles aren't really dispositive of anything, we certainly may see a very effective Santonio Holmes this year. Granted, its also possible that his true colors are that he's an ahole and that will come back - I think its likely, though, that the ahole side isn't the true Holmes. Only time will tell though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like

The team is 0-0 right now. We have a winning coach & major hardware in the company trophy case that gives us bragging rights over our neighbors across the fence at Metlife.

Why are you worried about losing?

[IMG]http://jetsrant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Screen-shot-2011-08-29-at-10.43.21-PM.png[/IMG]

:touchdown

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will Santonio have another melt down at some point in his Career? It's possible. Maybe even likely. ...Will it be in 2012 though? Nope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4471879]and what else is new? All teams are doing this at this point in the pre season. You act like this kind of pre season rhetoric is unique to the Jets. Oh... I get it... you will seize any and every opportunity to bring your dark cloud of negativity to the board. Your mission in life apparently. You are a pathetic fan. Why not just go away? Permanently.[/QUOTE]
    Tell him the guy needs to hear it...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Or you come on you tell us how its not true, that all is horribly wrong.

This time of the year with all the good news must be a living hell for people like you. Until that first loss, then you can puff your chest out like a proud father.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least our worst player is impressed !!! :)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, I used to like your posts. You do nothing now but ***** and complain now. If you don't want to root for the Jets, I suggest you become a Patriots fan.