Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Mark Sanchez must do to keep New York Jets' starting job

[QUOTE=Snell41;4472194]My honest opinion, if Sanchez has a season relative to below, he will be booed out of town:

4900 yds, 29 TD's, 16 INTs 61% comp
    4100 yds, 29 TD's, 12 INT's. 61% comp
    4600 yds, 27 TD's, 20 INT's, 63% comp
    4000 yds, 21 TD's, 14 INT's, 63% comp
    3600 yds, 20 TD's, 12 INT's, 57% comp

That's Eli, Ryan, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Flacco's numbers last year. Every single one of those performances will leave the door wide open for some sort of criticism. Eli's or Rivers-too many INT's, Ryan-not enough yards, Ben-not enough TD, yds, and too many INT's, Flacco-flat out gets him benched, orinically Flacco is looking for top 5 money with those numbers.

It's the nature of the beast, Jets fans have zero patience and ridiculously high expectations of a young QB. If Sanchez doesn't have an Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees season there will undoubtedly be a large contingent of Jets fans who want him gone.[/QUOTE]

100% dude ...... I've learned to be disgusted by most Jet fans by just being on this forum. I've seen the kid play lights out with no help and be killed on here. My only issue is that we won't see this type of production out of Sanchez cause we're going back to ground and pound 4 real now. Also there's no receiver corps to help him put up these numbers. Santonio is coming off a terrible year. I don't care how good his attitude is if he can't consistently get separation who cares. The rook as the #2 receiver? That is not an upgrade over Plax believe it or not. Kerley the #3 receiver? Keller again? The team hasn't upgraded on offense the way you'd like to see. With the surrounding pieces around Sanchez right now he doesn't have the help. The running backs are also garbage as well. McKnight is a change of pace guy who to me is only a 3rd down guy. He can bulk up 50 pounds and keep his speed don't care. He can't protect the ball. Greene is arguably one of the worst backs who's team has them as a every down back.

If we upgrade at running back and get anybody better than Greene, get another receiver that's credible, and we strength the depth at O line to protect the kid ... At best I see 3600, 25 TD's, 13 INt's .... if the team stays the way it is now then dead all those numbers. It'll be ugly and we'll be playing 2000 Ravens/Sanchez's rookie year ball. Yuck

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4472260]Are you kidding me?

I'd gladly take that kind of production from Sanchez.

If he cracks the 60% mark in completions and throws for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TD's...I'll be happier than a pig in ****. And so will the majority of Jets fans.[/QUOTE]

Do you read these forums? I would venture that 25% of fans hate Sanchez regardless of what he does. They wildly claim that Sanchez is just pure garbage and refuse to acknowledge anything good about him. They will find fault in any of the seasons I posted without a doubt. Add those to the huge Tebow fanclub that is now onboard who could care less about the Jets, they just want to see their guy starting, and you have a giant pressure cooker. It's just the nature of the situation that was created with Tebow. A decent season like the ones I posted are just not going to cut it anymore. Sanchez will have to be all world or the criticism will continue.

Also, do you go to the games at all? I am not a season ticket holder but I do try to get to 3 or 4 games a year. The "fans" at the stadium are ridiculous these days. You would hear Sanchez sucks chants going on before kickoff. Trust me, there's no slack at all for Sanchez. Playing good won't cut it with these idiots. He'll have to play lights out.

Well at least NFL dotcom is not adding to the *controversy* cough cough sput sput..pfft pfft

"Said Sanchez: "He's been great. Everything is as advertised."

The Jets provided transcripts of the interviews, which totaled 4,899 words and included 42 combined uses of the word "great," uttered 23 times by Tebow, 19 by Sanchez."

*uttered* (unlike uddered) by Kim JOnes article on the 11th

wtf does how many times someone says "great" have to do with anything ?
    Last edited by Ryan's Revenge; 05-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ryan's Revenge;4472648]Well at least NFL dotcom is not adding to the *controversy* cough cough sput sput..pfft pfft

"Said Sanchez: "He's been great. Everything is as advertised."

The Jets provided transcripts of the interviews, which totaled 4,899 words and included 42 combined uses of the word "great," uttered 23 times by Tebow, 19 by Sanchez."

*uttered* (unlike uddered) by Kim JOnes article on the 11th

wtf does how many times someone says "great" have to do with anything ?[/QUOTE]

great great great great great great great great
    :D:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4471942]Win!![/QUOTE]

^this

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TJ;4471870]Sanchez could drastically reduce the number of sacks by getting rid of the ball quicker in the pocket. Rather than waiting for receivers to uncover on deeper routes, Sanchez can dump the ball off to his running backs in the flat to avoid coverage sacks.
    [/QUOTE]

... good article, thanks for posting ...

... the quote above i have a problem with though ... while sanchez does need to show improved accurancy on his dumpoff's to the rb ... but ...

... sanchez in 2011 often had very little time in the pocket before he had to throw ... i don't think it was a matter of HIS taking too long for the wr's to break ... it was the OL breaking down way too quickly ... i do think he can improve somewhat by stepping forward when the OL begins to break (last season his tendency was often to fall backwards an extra step or two) ... especially because the break was mostly with speed rushers around RT & occassionally around brick at LT ... the step up in the pocket would help brick & our RT use the speed rushers momentum to carry them past the pocket ...

... good read, thx! ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=TJ;4471870]
    1. Sanchez must avoid the negative plays.
    2. Take more shots down the field.
    3. Sanchez needs to focus on "connecting the dots."
    4. Let the playmakers do the dirty work.[/QUOTE]

I found it hilarious that all four are things Tebow is abysmal at.

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4472592]

If we upgrade at running back and get anybody better than Greene, get another receiver that's credible, and we strength the depth at O line to protect the kid ... [COLOR="Red"][B]At best I see 3600, 25 TD's, 13 INt's [/B][/COLOR].... if the team stays the way it is now then dead all those numbers. It'll be ugly and we'll be playing 2000 Ravens/Sanchez's rookie year ball. Yuck[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, Sanchez basically had those stats this year, 3474 yds, 26 TDs 18 Ints. So, without any changes in offense what so ever, if he'd just cut down on the mistakes, he would have the stats you mentioned.

The change in philosophy will lead to improved numbers believe it or not. There's nothing written that says you can't throw for 4K yards while being "ground and pound".

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4472334]Sanchez IS the starter- don't buy into the media's obsession with Tebow- if Sanchez were to get injured, we are in serious trouble since Tebow is not an accurate enough passer to be a starter in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

link? I think I would wait till after pre-season to say for sure..............If tebow really outplays sanchez in tc and pre-season I can def see tebow starting.

It is not like sanchez has a leg up on the offense they are both learning it at the same time..............My guess is whoever learns it the best, performs it the best , and gives the team the best chance to win will be the starter.

We can not say for sure who that will be I believe in tebow you obv sanchez guess we will see.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jets31;4472383]he can play terrible but if they win he is the starter. thats it just win. thats all that matters in this league.

you play awesome and lose you could be out.[/QUOTE]

you just explaind tebow perfectly but people on here says he still is not a QB? So if sanchez can win and look ugly well I guess the same could be said about tebow right?

[QUOTE=TJ;4471870]
    Although he has shown flashes of being a franchise quarterback while leading the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances in three seasons,[/QUOTE]
    I take issue with the statement [I]"[Sanchez led] the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances in three seasons".[/I]

In [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2009&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go"][B]2009[/B][/URL] the Jets had the [B]number 1 rated defense[/B] and [B]number 1 rated rushing attack[/B]. In passing? Well, our "flashes of being a franchise quarterback" had the [B]Jets ranked 31st.[/B]

In [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2010&seasonType=&Submit=Go"][B]2010[/B][/URL], the Jets had the [B]number 3 rated defense[/B] and the [B]number 4 rated rushing attack.[/B] Passing? [B]22nd[/B].

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jxc;4472776]I take issue with the statement [I]"[Sanchez led] the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances in three seasons".[/I]

In [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2009&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go"][B]2009[/B][/URL] the Jets had the [B]number 1 rated defense[/B] and [B]number 1 rated rushing attack[/B]. In passing? Well, our "flashes of being a franchise quarterback" had the [B]Jets ranked 31st.[/B]

In [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2010&seasonType=&Submit=Go"][B]2010[/B][/URL], the Jets had the [B]number 3 rated defense[/B] and the [B]number 4 rated rushing attack.[/B] Passing? [B]22nd[/B].[/QUOTE]

Don't forget he also had a top 5 special teams each year with washington returning kicks and then brad smith and cro taking over when he left.

oh they also had a top 3 oline both years.

basically all mark had to do in his first two years was not be a complete moron everything else was handed to him his first 2 years.

The bears made it to the SB with Rex freaking Grossman with the same formula mark had.

The bears had a great special teams with hester, a punishing defense, top oline, and a top running game

but just like sanchez when they tried having hester be more of a wr and lessened his special teams play and wanted to rex grossman to have more control the next year well you see how that worked.

[QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472774]you just explaind tebow perfectly but people on here says he still is not a QB? So if sanchez can win and look ugly well I guess the same could be said about tebow right?[/QUOTE]

First off he's wrong. Winning does not solve everything for Sanchez. Secondly, Tebow's season last year was still light years worse than Sanchez ever played. You can not ignore the fact that Tebow's offense averaged 16 points per game during his starts in the regular season. That resulted in a decent 7-4 record. I'm not even going to go into the gifts DEN received from opponents that granted them 2 wins. While Mark Sanchez certainly needs to improve, he is light years ahead of Tim Tebow as a QB. The problem is fans like you and certain others seem to think that Mark Sanchez is the world's worst QB, AND you seem to think that Tebow's "magic" is sustainable over a long period of time in the NFL. An offense that averages 16 points a game will never succeed over the course of a full season.

all sanchez has to is win or, more importantly, not be the cause for losing. the jets are not going to be built to have him pass for much more than 3200 yards in a season. he needs to avoid making the pick six play or getting strip sacked or just sacked for a huge loss. he needs to be able to come out and move the chains. 3 and outs just don't cut it.

imo schitty was the biggest problem last season. schitty did nothing to craft plays to the players strengths. he was such a little weasel it's hard to be objective. but he's gone and now it's up sanchez to buy into sparano and make the right plays.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Snell41;4472782]First off he's wrong. Winning does not solve everything for Sanchez. Secondly, Tebow's season last year was still light years worse than Sanchez ever played. You can not ignore the fact that Tebow's offense averaged 16 points per game during his starts in the regular season. That resulted in a decent 7-4 record. I'm not even going to go into the gifts DEN received from opponents that granted them 2 wins. While Mark Sanchez certainly needs to improve, he is light years ahead of Tim Tebow as a QB. The problem is fans like you and certain others seem to think that Mark Sanchez is the world's worst QB, AND you seem to think that Tebow's "magic" is sustainable over a long period of time in the NFL. An offense that averages 16 points a game will never succeed over the course of a full season.[/QUOTE]

that logic is not taking in account tebow NEVER had the surrounding cast to help him like mark unless you count college and he was pretty damn good there.

2nd i do not think sanchez is the worst I think he is what he is a QB that can win as long as he has a top 5 supporting cast but so could grossman.

Mark had the best gift a QB could ever have he rarely had to earn anything it was given him.

Tebow earned everything in the NFL where people like you say he could not succeed but he did.

He is not light years ahead with this type of offense we are going to run.............when will people realize he is challenging sanchez with a offense thatv is suited for his skill set.........That is like saying we will let sanchez challenge tebow in a shot-gun spread offense well of course sanchez would win it is his skill set but the type of offense rex and sparno want to run is tailor made for tebow to succeed and sanchez to fail............IMO

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jxc;4472776]I take issue with the statement [I]"[Sanchez led] the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances in three seasons".[/I]

In [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2010&seasonType=&Submit=Go"][B]2010[/B][/URL], the Jets had the [B]number 3 rated defense[/B] and the [B]number 4 rated rushing attack.[/B] Passing? [B]22nd[/B].[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY.

The OL/pass protection sucked in '09, '10, and never showed up in '11.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4472803]EXACTLY.

The OL/pass protection sucked in '09, '10, and never showed up in '11.[/QUOTE]

um the oline was ranked top 3 his first two years........;)

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472806]um the oline was ranked top 3 his first two years........;)[/QUOTE]

By what measure? Total yards rushing? LOL

Remember all those 2-yard TJ gains up the middle?

That was the OL.

The big yardage happened around the edges where the OL was completely avoided.

Also, has nothing to do with pass protection or the passing game.

[QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472798]that logic is not taking in account tebow NEVER had the surrounding cast to help him like mark unless you count college and he was pretty damn good there.

2nd i do not think sanchez is the worst I think he is what he is a QB that can win as long as he has a top 5 supporting cast but so could grossman.

Mark had the best gift a QB could ever have he rarely had to earn anything it was given him.

Tebow earned everything in the NFL where people like you say he could not succeed but he did.

He is not light years ahead with this type of offense we are going to run.............when will people realize he is challenging sanchez with a offense thatv is suited for his skill set.........That is like saying we will let sanchez challenge tebow in a shot-gun spread offense well of course sanchez would win it is his skill set but the type of offense rex and sparno want to run is tailor made for tebow to succeed and sanchez to fail............IMO[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, when a team is winning games while the offense is averaging 16 points a game, I'd say the surrounding cast is doing a hell of alot more than you think. Also, tell me how bad Tebow's surrounding cast is after this season with Manning at the helm. Tebow had Moreno, McGahee, Thomas, and Decker which rounds out a pretty damn solid offense. Sanchez's WR's were Cotchery, Stuckey, and Smith. they gave him Edwards, he played better. They gave him Holmes the following season, he played better. They took away Edwards and replaced him with a guy who has no business being on the file except in the red zone and yet he still played even better. Sanchez has improved every season. The whole team, including Sanchez, imploded in the last 3 games of the season. It seems guys like you base your entire judgement of Sanchez on those last 3 games.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4472812]By what measure? Total yards rushing? LOL

Remember all those 2-yard TJ gains up the middle?

That was the OL.

The big yardage happened around the edges where the OL was completely avoided.

Also, has nothing to do with pass protection or the passing game.[/QUOTE]

the easiest measure would be to ask any player that played in the nfl or watched the game of football could tell you we had a top oline his first two years.