Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Mark Sanchez must do to keep New York Jets' starting job

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Snell41;4472822]With all due respect, when a team is winning games while the offense is averaging 16 points a game, I'd say the surrounding cast is doing a hell of alot more than you think. Also, tell me how bad Tebow's surrounding cast is after this season with Manning at the helm. Tebow had Moreno, McGahee, Thomas, and Decker which rounds out a pretty damn solid offense. Sanchez's WR's were Cotchery, Stuckey, and Smith. they gave him Edwards, he played better. They gave him Holmes the following season, he played better. They took away Edwards and replaced him with a guy who has no business being on the file except in the red zone and yet he still played even better. Sanchez has improved every season. The whole team, including Sanchez, imploded in the last 3 games of the season. It seems guys like you base your entire judgement of Sanchez on those last 3 games.[/QUOTE]

Thomas and decker may be good this year but as rookies they both had a case of the dropsies and they both had to get used to the speed of the nfl coming from college that is not a excuse just facts. Denvers defense did play alot better as the season went in but I think alot of that has to do with tebow stepping up and players started believing in him. It does not matter if sanchez throws for 5000 yds but still has 32 tds and 28 Int's plus 6 pick 6's and we are 9-7 I would not call that a success. I would rather have tebows 2600 yds 16 td's 6 Int's and a 10-6 record but maybe that is just me. Also i am comparing tebow and sanchez not manning and tebow even I know that is utterly retarded........

You can not compare one of the best QB's ever to tebow or sanchez neither belongs in the same sentence, however tebow and sanchez can be compared.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472831]Thomas and decker may be good this year but as rookies they both had a case of the dropsies and they both had to get used to the speed of the nfl coming from college that is not a excuse just facts. Denvers defense did play alot better as the season went in but I think alot of that has to do with tebow stepping up and players started believing in him. It does not matter if sanchez throws for 5000 yds but still has 32 tds and 28 Int's plus 6 pick 6's and we are 9-7 I would not call that a success. I would rather have tebows 2600 yds 16 td's 6 Int's and a 10-6 record but maybe that is just me. Also i am comparing tebow and sanchez not manning and tebow even I know that is utterly retarded........

You can not compare one of the best QB's ever to tebow or sanchez neither belongs in the same sentence, however tebow and sanchez can be compared.[/QUOTE]

I'm not comparing Tebow to Manning. I'm just saying the players around Tebow did not suck. Not by a long shot. In fact I would take their RB's and WR's over ours right now in an instant. Before the final 3 games last year Sanchez was 22TD's 11 INT's. If the team didn't implode and he carried that average he would have ended up with 28 TD's and 14 INT's. You wanna get rid of a kid we've developed for 3 years who will now be entering his prime over his poor play in 3 games that's your prerogative. I think it's ignorant and short sighted, but you're entitled to feel that way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Snell41;4472848]I'm not comparing Tebow to Manning. I'm just saying the players around Tebow did not suck. Not by a long shot. In fact I would take their RB's and WR's over ours right now in an instant. Before the final 3 games last year Sanchez was 22TD's 11 INT's. [B][SIZE="6"] If the team didn't implode[/SIZE][/B] and he carried that average he would have ended up with 28 TD's and 14 INT's. You wanna get rid of a kid we've developed for 3 years who will now be entering his prime over his poor play in 3 games that's your prerogative. I think it's ignorant and short sighted, but you're entitled to feel that way.[/QUOTE]

This is the whole point a good or franchise QB would have raised his game and carried the team to get them back believing and this just furthers my point.

Tebow took a team that was playing horrible and getting ready to fall apart and he gave them something to believe in that is what I want in a QB.

A leader that will rally the troops like tebow not a so called leader that blends into the background and gets lost waiting for someone else to step-up like sanchez.

your right the team imploded which meant mark no longer was working with a top supporting cast...........which is my whole point when the team needed him most he let the wr's quit on him and did not take control of the team........

Like I said I have no doubt that if we are clicking on all cylinders he can succeed but so can rex grossman and trent dilfer.

My issue with him is if we lose a cylinder in any aspect of the game he can not get it done.

Hell even chad henne could have won 1 game out of the last 3.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow really elevated his team and his own play, going 9/26 and 0TDs in the 45-10 curbstomping in the playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4472812]By what measure? Total yards rushing? LOL

Remember all those 2-yard TJ gains up the middle?

That was the OL.

The big yardage happened around the edges where the OL was completely avoided.

Also, has nothing to do with pass protection or the passing game.[/QUOTE]

Sacks and QB hits have something to do with pass protection and the passing game.

[B]The Jets offensive line was ranked:[/B]
    [B]11th[/B] in terms of fewest sacks in [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKS_ALLOWED&tabSeq=2&season=2009&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true"]2009[/URL]
    [B]4th[/B] in terms of fewest QB hits in [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2009&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true"]2009[/URL]

[B]9th[/B] in terms of fewest sacks in fewest sacks in 2010
    [B]4th[/B] in terms of fewest QB hits in 2010
    Last edited by jxc; 05-19-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: repaired a search and replace gaff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472857]This is the whole point a good or franchise QB would have raised his game and carried the team to get them back believing and this just furthers my point.

Tebow took a team that was playing horrible and getting ready to fall apart and he gave them something to believe in that is what I want in a QB.

A leader that will rally the troops like tebow not a so called leader that blends into the background and gets lost waiting for someone else to step-up like sanchez.

your right the team imploded which meant mark no longer was working with a top supporting cast...........which is my whole point when the team needed him most he let the wr's quit on him and did not take control of the team........

Like I said I have no doubt that if we are clicking on all cylinders he can succeed but so can rex grossman and trent dilfer.

My issue with him is if we lose a cylinder in any aspect of the game he can not get it done.

Hell even chad henne could have won 1 game out of the last 3.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Statistically Mark Sanchez does not hold up at all. He's not accurate, doesn't have great arm strength, and does not make good decisions.

So that leaves the Jets with what, intangibles? Leadership? He was brought here because he demonstrated leadership before he was drafted.

He hasn't shown much since.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Snell41;4472848]I'm not comparing Tebow to Manning. I'm just saying the players around Tebow did not suck. Not by a long shot. In fact I would take their RB's and WR's over ours right now in an instant. Before the final 3 games last year Sanchez was 22TD's 11 INT's. If the team didn't implode and he carried that average he would have ended up with 28 TD's and 14 INT's. You wanna get rid of a kid we've developed for 3 years who will now be entering his prime over his poor play in 3 games that's your prerogative. I think it's ignorant and short sighted, but you're entitled to feel that way.[/QUOTE]

This...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Goodfellaz;4472865]Tebow really elevated his team and his own play, going 9/26 and 0TDs in the 45-10 curbstomping in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Even I realize he will not win them all duh.............He made some rookie mistakes towards the ends by elways own admission he was pressing all athletes have a funk once inawhile it is the nature of the game...........

The question is can he adjust? That we do not know

we do know know that sanchez can not............3 years in the league and he still can not read a defense or make a pre-snap adjustment. Like I said sanchez could throw for 5000 yds have 46 td's but if he also has 39 Int's and 8 were returned for a td and we were 8-8 or 9-7 that would not be a successful season to me.............I am sure it would be for alot on here but my goal is to win a SB not have a QB that has a 60 pct passing rating.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Snell41;4472848]I'm not comparing Tebow to Manning. I'm just saying the players around Tebow did not suck. Not by a long shot. In fact I would take their RB's and WR's over ours right now in an instant. Before the final 3 games last year Sanchez was 22TD's 11 INT's. If the team didn't implode and he carried that average he would have ended up with 28 TD's and 14 INT's. You wanna get rid of a kid we've developed for 3 years who will now be entering his prime over his poor play in 3 games that's your prerogative. I think it's ignorant and short sighted, but you're entitled to feel that way.[/QUOTE]

Be careful there. Moreno got hurt in the 8th game against KC and was out for the year. The only receivers of note were Eric Decker, a great guy, but certainly wouldn't be considered a threat by anyone, and Demaryius Thomas, a second year player who was coming off an injury.

Coming in to the 2011 season, Decker has 6 (SIX) career NFL catches and 0 NFL starts and Thomas had 22 catches and 2 starts.

As for Willis McGahee, coming in to 2012, he'd only managed 900 yards over the previous 2 seasons.

We could then look at the offensive line of Denver and it gets really ugly there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472823]the easiest measure would be to ask any player that played in the nfl or watched the game of football could tell you we had a top oline his first two years.[/QUOTE]

I watched Sanchez run for his life for three years.

What games were you watching?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472878]Even I realize he will not win them all duh.............He made some rookie mistakes towards the ends by elways own admission he was pressing all athletes have a funk once inawhile it is the nature of the game...........

[B]we do know know that sanchez can not[/B]............3 years in the league and he still can not read a defense or make a pre-snap adjustment. Like I said sanchez could throw for 5000 yds have 46 td's but if he also has 39 Int's and 8 were returned for a td and we were 8-8 or 9-7 that would not be a successful season to me.............I am sure it would be for alot on here but my goal is to win a SB not have a QB that has a 60 pct passing rating.[/QUOTE]

No you jump to the conclusion he can not, completely ignoring the fact that his progress is pretty much on par or better than most QB's with his experience. Sanchez has played some very good football at times, and he's played poorly at others. Pretty mmuch just as every other young QB does. Your expectations are so far out of touch with reality.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4472869]Sacks and QB hits have something to do with pass protection and the passing game.

[B]The Jets offensive line was ranked:[/B]
    [B]11th[/B] in terms of fewest sacks in [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKS_ALLOWED&tabSeq=2&season=2009&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true"]2009[/URL]
    [B]4th[/B] in terms of fewest QB hits in [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2009&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true"]2009[/URL]

[B]9th[/B] in terms of fewest sacks in fewest sacks in 2010
    [B]4th[/B] in terms of fewest QB hits in 2010[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Mark showed great mobility, didn't he?

He knew when to bolt - was a matter of life or death.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4472950]Yeah, Mark showed great mobility, didn't he?

He knew when to bolt - was a matter of life or death.[/QUOTE]

I get it. Mark Sanchez is a religion for you. You are going to believe what you are going to believe and no one is going to change your mind. :yes: I don't like disparage anyone's religion so I'll just let it go.

But this my opinion about the situation that is not aimed at you directly: at present the only advantage MS has over TT is a slightly better completion percentage. Don't get me wrong, they both are among the league's most inaccurate passers. However Tebow has had less time behind center in the NFL so the chances of him making a jump in pass completion percentage seems more likely. Especially since it seems to be the only thing he's lacking. An especially important thing, yes, but potentially fixable given that the whole team has an interest in fixing it.

If Tim Tebow improves his accuracy this off season there is absolutely no reason for Mark Sanchez to remain the starter. It's simply not justifiable from any angle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4472978]
    But this my opinion about the situation that is not aimed at you directly: at present the only advantage MS has over TT is a slightly better completion percentage.

If Tim Tebow improves his accuracy this off season there is absolutely no reason for Mark Sanchez to remain the starter. It's simply not justifiable from any angle.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell if you're a Jets fan that doesn't watch complete Jets games or just a Tim Tebow fan.

If you can't see that the OL sabotaged everything Sanchez and the offense tried to do, then you need a whole new football education.

If you think Tebow's performance in training camp should outweigh all the huge clutch plays Sanchez executed in actual games - playoffs included - then you need to stop drinking boat varnish.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4472592]100% dude ...... I've learned to be disgusted by most Jet fans by just being on this forum. I've seen the kid play lights out with no help and be killed on here. My only issue is that we won't see this type of production out of Sanchez cause we're going back to ground and pound 4 real now. Also there's no receiver corps to help him put up these numbers. Santonio is coming off a terrible year. I don't care how good his attitude is if he can't consistently get separation who cares. The rook as the #2 receiver? That is not an upgrade over Plax believe it or not. Kerley the #3 receiver? Keller again? The team hasn't upgraded on offense the way you'd like to see. With the surrounding pieces around Sanchez right now he doesn't have the help. The running backs are also garbage as well. McKnight is a change of pace guy who to me is only a 3rd down guy. He can bulk up 50 pounds and keep his speed don't care. He can't protect the ball. Greene is arguably one of the worst backs who's team has them as a every down back.

If we upgrade at running back and get anybody better than Greene, get another receiver that's credible, and we strength the depth at O line to protect the kid ... At best I see 3600, 25 TD's, 13 INt's .... if the team stays the way it is now then dead all those numbers. It'll be ugly and we'll be playing 2000 Ravens/Sanchez's rookie year ball. Yuck[/QUOTE]

Going back to the ground and pound will end this team. Going back to the ground and pound means they have no faith in Sachez's ability to be elite. Going back to the ground and pound will end Rex' reign as head coach. Going to what worked 3 seasons ago means Rex has learned nothing. This O line can' do what they did in Rex's first season.

Going to be a long season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4472910]Be careful there. Moreno got hurt in the 8th game against KC and was out for the year. The only receivers of note were Eric Decker, a great guy, but certainly wouldn't be considered a threat by anyone, and Demaryius Thomas, a second year player who was coming off an injury.

Coming in to the 2011 season, Decker has 6 (SIX) career NFL catches and 0 NFL starts and Thomas had 22 catches and 2 starts.

As for Willis McGahee, coming in to 2012, he'd only managed 900 yards over the previous 2 seasons.

We could then look at the offensive line of Denver and it gets really ugly there.[/QUOTE]

If you really want to see a different picture of TT you have to go back to the 2010 season, and his first starts..
    He came pretty close to a road win against the Raiders in his first start, broke one or two franchise records, and set or broke a few NFL records. He was throwing to Brandon Lloyd, and had Lance Ball, Eddie Royal and Spencer Larsen may have seen play in those games also.
    The second game they pretty much picked the Texans D apart ..it is very telling regarding TT's progress, and what he does when he has talent to go to..

Decker was a return man in 2010 I think.. Thomas was on IR ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4472701]Ummmm, Sanchez basically had those stats this year, 3474 yds, 26 TDs 18 Ints. So, without any changes in offense what so ever, if he'd just cut down on the mistakes, he would have the stats you mentioned.

The change in philosophy will lead to improved numbers believe it or not. There's nothing written that says you can't throw for 4K yards while being "ground and pound".[/QUOTE]

I know his numbers from last year. He'll cut down on the mistakes but he won't have 30 TD's cause we'll be using Tebow in the red zone and run a lot more. He'll throw for some more yards but I don't see it being dramatic like in the 4000 range. If the defense is as good as we all think it will be and the running game gets going the offense will be straight. There's no shot with this receiving corps that he has a ridiculous passing season. Sparano was brought in specifically to make this team a run first team and focus on ground and pound. I know a lot of you guys think that there's still hope for a 4200 yard season or so in this offense but Rex got to 2 AFC championships with this team by playing safe and depending mainly on the running game and his defense. Be prepared for some conventional play calls especially when we're up by 2 possessions and etc and playing the field position game.

So yeah I predict similar numbers from last year but a little better in regards to TO ratio. I think at best with the way the position players are as of now ... you can't hope for anything more. Don't overvalue the talent we have on offense. Kerley doesn't scare anybody, Santonio has a lot to prove, Keller won't magically turn into a primed Tony Gonzalez, & depth wise we're not better than last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4473010]I know his numbers from last year. He'll cut down on the mistakes but he won't have 30 TD's cause we'll be using Tebow in the red zone and run a lot more. He'll throw for some more yards but I don't see it being dramatic like in the 4000 range. If the defense is as good as we all think it will be and the running game gets going the offense will be straight. There's no shot with this receiving corps that he has a ridiculous passing season. Sparano was brought in specifically to make this team a run first team and focus on ground and pound. I know a lot of you guys think that there's still hope for a 4200 yard season or so in this offense but Rex got to 2 AFC championships with this team by playing safe and depending mainly on the running game and his defense. [B]Be prepared for some conventional play calls especially when we're up by 2 possessions and etc and playing the field position game. [/B]

So yeah I predict similar numbers from last year but a little better in regards to TO ratio. I think at best with the way the position players are as of now ... you can't hope for anything more. Don't overvalue the talent we have on offense. Kerley doesn't scare anybody, Santonio has a lot to prove, Keller won't magically turn into a primed Tony Gonzalez, & depth wise we're not better than last year.[/QUOTE]

This is the reason why no QB is ever going to throw for 4,000 yards with Rex as the head coach. Teams that throw for tons of yards continue to throw the ball, even when they're up by 9+ late in the game. If we're up by 9 with 6 minutes left and we get the ball back, we're calling 3 running plays.

We're going to measure Sanchez's performance based on turnovers, 3rd down success, and red zone TD%.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4472878]Even I realize he will not win them all duh.............He made some rookie mistakes towards the ends by elways own admission he was pressing all athletes have a funk once inawhile it is the nature of the game...........

we do know know that sanchez can not............3 years in the league and he still can not read a defense or make a pre-snap adjustment. Like I said sanchez could throw for 5000 yds have 46 td's but if he also has 39 Int's and 8 were returned for a td and we were 8-8 or 9-7 that would not be a successful season to me.............I am sure it would be for alot on here but my goal is to win a SB not have a QB that has a 60 pct passing rating.[/QUOTE]

Your posts remain incoherent to me.....

Please tell me the QB in NFL history who has performed better than Sanchez has during his first 3 years in which said QB only played in 16 college games prior to starting immediately in the NFL from day one?:rolleyes:

[B][SIZE="3"]ANSWER = NO ONE[/SIZE][/B]... but you take your time!!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!:eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4473034]Your posts remain incoherent to me.....

Please tell me the QB in NFL history who has performed better than Sanchez has during his first 3 years in which said QB only played in 16 college games prior to starting immediately in the NFL from day one?:rolleyes:

[B][SIZE="3"]ANSWER = NO ONE[/SIZE][/B]... but you take your time!!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Joe Flacco :)