Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banks

Banks

Is it a possibilty that the problem is there are 4 or 5 Super Banks in the US holding a vast majority of our dollars and that makes them to big to fail. How about declaring a monopoly and break the the banks up. More competition would keep them in order. Just a thought.

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;4471872]Is it a possibilty that the problem is there are 4 or 5 Super Banks in the US holding a vast majority of our dollars and that makes them to big to fail. How about declaring a monopoly and break the the banks up. More competition would keep them in order. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Why should a business be penalized for being successful? :confused:

You are asking for increased regulation?

I don't know of anything stopping banks from "competing."

[QUOTE=FF2;4471899]Why should a business be penalized for being successful? :confused:

I don't know of anything stopping banks from "competing."[/QUOTE]

But there a handful of banks that hold most of the US currency which can and has lead to corruption. I am saying spread the wealth to other banks. There will be no banks to big to fail. The regulations they have now aren't working why add more.

[QUOTE=FF2;4471899]Why should a business be penalized for being successful? :confused:

Well, here's where we totally agree.
    Competition: There are plenty of banks. Make them smaller and it makes them weaker. Will the European banks get smaller too to accommodate us?
    Other industries. break up Boeing? The only US commercial plane manufacturer.
    What is J&J's share of adhesive bandages. A lot more than any bank market share.
    Break up Coke and Pepsi?

Exxon and Walmart are bigger the banks. Break them up?

JPM lost maybe $3 Billion. That's shareholder money. JPM will still make $14-15 bill this year. How much was GM losing? Its' still there. For now, until Toyota and Honda recover from the earthquake and tsunami.

Every CEO I have seen on financial shows (they are non political) says "TOO MUCH REGULATION".

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;4471943]But there a handful of banks that hold most of the US currency which can and has lead to corruption. I am saying spread the wealth to other banks. There will be no banks to big to fail. The regulations they have now aren't working why add more.[/QUOTE]

How do you propose to make that happen?

The US government will simply tell them to give money to other banks? :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    Tyra is the only Banks that needs to have her size regulated.

Banks hate the govt until they f themselves and then they need the govt.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4472161]Tyra is the only Banks that needs to have her size regulated.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/kookylove/high-hat-wip.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;4472226]Banks hate the govt until the govt f's them and then they need the govt.[/QUOTE]

Fixed!

The US government.

When both parties supported bailing out the largest banks they overnight created the greatest concentration of banking in the fewest hands overnight.

The message is pretty clear, the government has given big banks a backstop that smaller competitors can't possibly expect. If the government has made it clear that big banks must survive at all costs why would the government allow smaller banks to take their business and put them in jeopardy?

Breaking up companies that ustilize predatory practices to become monopolies is illegal. No further legislation or regulation is needed.

I suspect the thousands of pages of "regulation" is about making real competion impossible. To big to fail is allready against the law in the US.

Jets Insider VIP
    Banks.

Charging you to use your own money. Taking your money and loaning it to other people for a higher interest rate than they pay you.

Banks.

Charging you when you overdraw but begging the government for help when they overdraw.

Banks.

Penalizing you when you pay off loans early. Because paying off a loan early is bad.

Banks.

The source of 60% of the country's problems. Let's suck them off.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4472770] If the government has made it clear that big banks must survive at all costs why would the government allow smaller banks to take their business and put them in jeopardy?.[/QUOTE]

In what ways does the government stop smaller banks from taking bigger banks business?

[QUOTE=FF2;4472948]In what ways does the government stop smaller banks from taking bigger banks business?[/QUOTE]

Good point but in general.... If a BIG bank can't fail, they take on bigger risk that a small bank can't.

Govt should allow capitalism to work and let a big bank fail, let a big auto maker fail etc...... Just my opinion.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4472961]Good point but in general.... If a BIG bank can't fail, they take on bigger risk that a small bank can't.

Govt should allow capitalism to work and let a big bank fail, let a big auto maker fail etc...... Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That's the way it's supposed to work.

[QUOTE=FF2;4472962]Agreed. That's the way it's supposed to work.[/QUOTE]

All of their shady ways of money making are tied together, one bank falls they all get hurt and we all suffer again.

The Government has created this monster. Then they try to regulate while they can't control themselves. Corruption from top to bottom. Clean it up real quick or we will the next Greece but who will bail us out! We can build stadiums for billionaires so I guess we can't or wont say NO!

[QUOTE=FF2;4472948]In what ways does the government stop smaller banks from taking bigger banks business?[/QUOTE]

More regulation takes more capital to comply a huge advantage for big players.

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;4472991]The Government has created this monster. Then they try to regulate while they can't control themselves. Corruption from top to bottom. Clean it up real quick or we will the next Greece but who will bail us out! We can build stadiums for billionaires so I guess we can't or wont say NO![/QUOTE]

The Greece comparison is a joke.

[QUOTE=cr726;4473016]The Greece comparison is a joke.[/QUOTE]

In what way. Thousands of Government employees, taxed to the eye balls, crooked politicians banks and people looking to the government to fix everything. Does that sound familiar? Teachers, Cops, Fireman, Construction,
    Bailouts for billionaires to build new stadiums. A school system that is terrible!

:mad:

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;4473037]In what way. Thousands of Government employees, taxed to the eye balls, crooked politicians banks and people looking to the government to fix everything. Does that sound familiar? Teachers, Cops, Fireman, Construction,
    Bailouts for billionaires to build new stadiums. A school system that is terrible!

:mad:[/QUOTE]

That sounds worse than Greece.

We have effectively made paper millionaires out of millions of retirees at the expense of the middle class.

The war on the middle class is actually being fought by the government.