Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: #Jets agreed to terms with former Dolphins S Yeremiah Bell, per Pro Football Talk.

Jets Insider VIP
    ESPN New York reports the Jets signed S Yeremiah Bell to start.

Beat writer Rich Cimini expects the Jets to enter Week 1 with a starting safety tandem of Bell and LaRon Landry. We expect Landry to man free safety with Bell slotting in at strong. That presumes Landry (Achilles) will make it onto the field, of course. Eric Smith will be first in line if/when Bell or Landry falter.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
    May 19 - 2:43 PM

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4472839]
    [B]Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter[/B]
    May 19 - 2:43 PM[/QUOTE]

I'll give that it's due attention.... :banned:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4472849]I'll give that it's due attention.... :banned:[/QUOTE]

Blame Rotoworld

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4472855]Blame Rotoworld[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you or Rotoworld - Dick Cimini is just worthless.....

The signing of so many SS is to keep up with the Pats TE's I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Leonard as well to implement some FS packages. It all makes sense now..Beef up the Dline to stop the run play coverage with 2 fast linebackers and 4 Dbacks with one being a LB/S safety types

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4472856]I don't blame you or Rotoworld - Dick Cimini is just worthless.....[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm just glad Eric Smith's starting days appear to be over. Don't care who reports it.

[QUOTE=JETFAN1;4472178]That's true. The thing is in the 3-4 and specifically Rex's defense you don't really have a FS, more like two SS. There basically the last line of defense and need to be good tacklers and hitters. Before the league became pass happy it worked but can be a liabilty now if you don't have a good pass rush let alone good corners or a safety like Ed Reed. Notice how over the last ten years a safety was picked in the first round? That was unheard of before that. Teams are looking for the next Ed Reed, who's not only an excellent SS but he also can cover on the weakside which makes the Ravens defense so good.

The Jets don't have a player like that and compound it with an average pass rush the safeties become exposed. Makes you wonder how this defense would be without Revis..[/QUOTE]

i guess it would be crazy suggesting putting revis in that ed reed-s position one day?? just a thought? if we can never find that guy..cro isn't the tackler that revise is..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ryan10;4472936]i guess it would be crazy suggesting putting revis in that ed reed-s position one day?? just a thought? if we can never find that guy..cro isn't the tackler that revise is..[/QUOTE]

Ronnie Lott was a CB for his first 5 years before he switched to Safety.. And he made All Pro as a rookie CB..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ryan10;4472936]i guess it would be crazy suggesting putting revis in that ed reed-s position one day??[/QUOTE]

... if by "one day" you mean in 2026 and pay him at a top S payrate then no, it would not be crazy ...

l_j_r

I guess we'll see if athleticism can trump football intelligence. What I mean is, in regards to athleticism, Bell has always been a much better player than Leonhard. But Leonhard made up for this with his ability to be the defensive QB more or less.

At least early on Bell will not be able to make the defensive calls I wouldn't think. So will his athleticism allow us to stay competitive while he's learning the calls on the job? Time will tell.

And for all of those that do not understand why we so agressively repaired the Safety spot, look at the obvious. Did you really think Rex Ryan, a defensive HC, would let this problem continue? Rex knows that the key to beating the Patsies is properly defending the middle of the field. Landry and Bell should help out immensely in that department.

Jets Insider VIP
    PLEASE GOD

no more threads based solely on the speculations of Dick Semen-i

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4473100]I guess we'll see if athleticism can trump football intelligence. What I mean is, in regards to athleticism, Bell has always been a much better player than Leonhard. But Leonhard made up for this with his ability to be the defensive QB more or less.

At least early on Bell will not be able to make the defensive calls I wouldn't think. So will his athleticism allow us to stay competitive while he's learning the calls on the job? Time will tell.

And for all of those that do not understand why we so agressively repaired the Safety spot, look at the obvious. Did you really think Rex Ryan, a defensive HC, would let this problem continue? Rex knows that the key to beating the Patsies is properly defending the middle of the field. Landry and Bell should help out immensely in that department.[/QUOTE]

This isn't directed at you Maine but I am not sold on Cimini's prediction that Bell & Landry will both start.

Eric Smith has been the guy that makes the calls in Leonard's absence, that in and of itself gives him an edge coupled with his extensive experience in Rex's system, he will be tough to shake out of the starting line-up unless one of the other safeties clearly outplays him.

Just because Dick Cimini put it out there (somewhat prematurely I might add) that Bell & Landry will be the starters, certainly doesn't make it so - he has put his foot in his mouth quite a few times before.

Landry is a big question mark in my opinion, this guy has alot to prove after getting hurt last season and refusing to get surgery. Not showing up to OTA's (voluntary or not) certainly calls his health into question.

In my opinion, we have a long off-season & pre-season to go before the starting line-up on both sides of the ball is set in stone.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-20-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4473100]I guess we'll see if athleticism can trump football intelligence. What I mean is, in regards to athleticism, Bell has always been a much better player than Leonhard. But Leonhard made up for this with his ability to be the defensive QB more or less.

[/QUOTE]

So he went from being a "JAG" to a guy who has always been a much better player than Leonhard.

Interesting.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4473108]This isn't directed at you Maine but I am not sold on Cimini's prediction that Bell & Landry will both start.

Eric Smith has been the guy that makes the calls in Leonard's absence, that in and of itself gives him an edge coupled with his extensive experience in Rex's system, he will be tough to shake out of the starting line-up unless one of the other safeties clearly outplays him.

Just because Dick Cimini put it out there (somewhat prematurely I might add) that Bell & Landry will be the starters, certainly doesn't make it so - he has put his foot in his mouth quite a few times before.

Landry is a big question mark in my opinion, this guy has alot to prove after getting hurt last season and refusing to get surgery. Not showing up to OTA's (voluntary or not) certainly calls his health into question.

In my opinion, we have a long off-season & pre-season to go before the starting line-up on both sides of the ball is set in stone.[/QUOTE]

I would think that will be settled during training camp. I assumed Bell will start based on the fact that Leonhard looks like he's no longer with us and Eric Smith was terrible in his place. But who knows?

Jordy thinks he's an excellent player because he went to the pro bowl in 2009. Like the pro bowl is the tell tale sign of greatness in a player.:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4473359]I would think that will be settled during training camp. I assumed Bell will start based on the fact that Leonhard looks like he's no longer with us and Eric Smith was terrible in his place. But who knows?

Jordy thinks he's an excellent player because he went to the pro bowl in 2009. Like the pro bowl is the tell tale sign of greatness in a player.:D[/QUOTE]

Direct your comments to me Mainejet.

You just got finished saying that Bell "has always been a much better player than Leonhard" after saying in the beginning of the thread that he's a "JAG."

Truth is, you have no clue. Don't blame me for your ignorance and your misguided statements.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    My brother is a Dolphin fan and he is utterly dismayed that they got rid of their two best players from last year - Marshall on O and Bell on D. He was pretty pissed off about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Landry not at OTA's again today.

Makes the Bell signing that much more critical IMO.

I'm not impressed with what I'm hearing with respect to Landry so far.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4473775]Landry not at OTA's again today.

Makes the Bell signing that much more critical IMO.

I'm not impressed with what I'm hearing with respect to Landry so far.[/QUOTE]

I'll be worried if he misses time in Training camp. Right now, not so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4473792]I'll be worried if he misses time in Training camp. Right now, not so much.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jenny Vrentas]Landry never made clear offseason training arrangement w/Jets [B]but he did say he'd be at OTAs + mini-camp and do as much as possible[/B][/QUOTE]

This is why I mentioned it.

That's what concerns me.

My prediction? Landry and Bell are nominal "starters" at best. We're actually going to see the top five safeties split snaps roughly evenly, with Bell and Bush (hunch) seeing slightly more snaps than Landry, Allen, and Smith -- but only *slightly* more.

This is going to be the most rotated group on the team, ahead of even d-line. Against run heavy set

You'll see lots of standard nickel and lots of "big nickel" -- three safeties, including two SS/'Spur' types -- to stay flexible against two TE sets that can mask run/pass.