Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: #Jets agreed to terms with former Dolphins S Yeremiah Bell, per Pro Football Talk.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does this help besides getting rid of smith? We dont have any safteys that can cover. Sorta like last year but better tacklers back there. I like the move, just we need some one to cover back there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4472107]Wow, I have to admit that I'm surprised that there's been nothing but support for this move so far. I'm sure someone will come in to throw salt on the move eventually, but seems that most believe this was a good choice.
    [/QUOTE]

Dusty Keller will not like this...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=boxman;4472100]I like the move. Brings depth and veteran presence to an area where we need it.[/QUOTE]

This guy can bring wood, we need more depth, this certainly helps.
    :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4472107]Wow, I have to admit that I'm surprised that there's been nothing but support for this move so far. I'm sure someone will come in to throw salt on the move eventually, but seems that most believe this was a good choice.

Agree with all - Bell brings AFC East experience and might be able to help the team out on 10-20 snaps a game, if not more. He should have a year left in the tank.[/QUOTE]
    Simpy put, he's durable, he's better at his position than Eric Smith and he provides a solid back-up to Landry who has a history of trouble staying healthy.

Hard to not like the move.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, baby! He's a beast, one more interchangable part

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SCITSCAT;4472124]This guy can bring wood, we need more depth, this certainly helps.
    :yes:[/QUOTE]

Yes, it certainly helps the defense and I understand that's Rex's sweet spot, but IMO the team still needs solid, viable back ups at QB & Center.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sign Jim Leonhard and cut Eric Smith and we are ok

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2nd generation jet fan;4472113]How does this help besides getting rid of smith? We dont have any safteys that can cover. Sorta like last year but better tacklers back there. I like the move, just we need some one to cover back there.[/QUOTE]

That's not what's he's going to be asked to do primarily. This really has little impact at the FS position, but provides us solid depth at SS where we have a health risk and a disaster named Smith.

Solid move, happy with it. Who's next? There's still cap room ;)

Otagwe is still out there, no?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4472153]That's not what's he's going to be asked to do primarily. This really has little impact at the FS position, but provides us solid depth at SS where we have a health risk and a disaster named Smith.

Solid move, happy with it. Who's next? There's still cap room ;)

Otagwe is still out there, no?[/QUOTE]

Good post. Solid depth, with starting experience. And I do think they're done signing Safeties. 6th rounder Josh Bush & Deangelo Smith will be the FS's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4472166]Good post. Solid depth, with starting experience. And I do think they're done signing Safeties. 6th rounder Josh Bush & Deangelo Smith will be the FS's.[/QUOTE]

IMO that's a bit risky asking those guys to step in and start. I think a guy like Otogwe would not only play decently enough, but would be a good mentor for the kids.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4472036]Bell may be old but he's been durable and an excellent physical presence.
    If we run a lot of 46 looks he really fits

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4671/yeremiah-bell[/URL][/QUOTE]

Wow, he's down from his peak in 2008 but his numbers last year were better than his 1st 4 years combined.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4472152]sign Jim Leonhard and cut Eric Smith and we are ok[/QUOTE]

Agree. For everyone whining that Leonhard sucks just wait until he brings all his knowledge of our defense and experience to Beladick and company, who have a history of picking up the guys we screw. IMO it would be disloyal not to bring him back and I wouldn't blame him for jumping at a chance to play and spill it all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4472153]That's not what's he's going to be asked to do primarily. This really has little impact at the FS position, but provides us solid depth at SS where we have a health risk and a disaster named Smith.
    [/QUOTE]

That's true. The thing is in the 3-4 and specifically Rex's defense you don't really have a FS, more like two SS. There basically the last line of defense and need to be good tacklers and hitters. Before the league became pass happy it worked but can be a liabilty now if you don't have a good pass rush let alone good corners or a safety like Ed Reed. Notice how over the last ten years a safety was picked in the first round? That was unheard of before that. Teams are looking for the next Ed Reed, who's not only an excellent SS but he also can cover on the weakside which makes the Ravens defense so good.

The Jets don't have a player like that and compound it with an average pass rush the safeties become exposed. Makes you wonder how this defense would be without Revis..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4472171]IMO that's a bit risky asking those guys to step in and start. I think a guy like Otogwe would not only play decently enough, but would be a good mentor for the kids.[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but how many S's can you have?

[B]Landry, LaRon SS
    Smith, Eric SS/FS
    Allen, Antonio SS
    Bush, Josh FS
    Bell, Yeremiah SS
    Smith, DeAngelo FS[/B]
    Wilson, Tracy
    Adams, Royce
    Lynn, D'Anton

Bolded will be on the team IMO. That's six.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Leonard may not be ready to play until August with his injury... If ever. Patella tendon ruptures are not fun to come back from

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to add more vet safety help. Would rather have a proven RT (Bell, Carey) than Tebow +4th and Bell (1.1 guaranteed) though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4472181]I see your point, but how many S's can you have?

[B]Landry, LaRon SS
    Smith, Eric SS/FS
    Allen, Antonio SS
    Bush, Josh FS
    Bell, Yeremiah SS
    Smith, DeAngelo FS[/B]
    Wilson, Tracy
    Adams, Royce
    Lynn, D'Anton

Bolded will be on the team IMO. That's six.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you'd then cut Smith

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad signing but if something happens to Landry and we have Bell and Eric Smith as the starting safeties, it could get ugly. Gronk and Hernandez could set records.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Landry play some LB in passing downs.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice depth signing.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0dg-ZHbrII"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0dg-ZHbrII[/URL]