Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY Name is Warfish, and I'm Going to Go See "Battleship" This Weekend

MY Name is Warfish, and I'm Going to Go See "Battleship" This Weekend

Please dear lord, don't be "Skyline II".

"Promethius" and "Total Recall" can't get here fast enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4472022]Please dear lord, don't be "Skyline II".[/QUOTE]

Worse than that...

If you're in the mood for some Sci-Fi stuff, go out and rent Mass Effect 3. You'd like it.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 05-18-2012 at 12:41 PM.

[QUOTE][B][U][SIZE="5"]Review: The captains of 'Battleship' deserve a medal[/SIZE][/U][/B]

By Lisa Schwarzbaum, EW.com

updated 11:03 AM EDT, Fri May 18, 2012

(EW.com) -- "Battleship" is a special-effects-heavy movie invented to extend the brand of a commercial board game -- suitable for ages 7 and up! -- in which two players move imaginary boats around a simple grid.

That part's not newsworthy. The surprise, for this veteran of board games, is that "Battleship" is also the rousing, engaging, and emotionally complex action war picture the silly 2001 action war picture "Pearl Harbor" only wished it could be. It's "Pearl Harbor" with greater intelligence, less hokum, and more aliens. For every line of howler dialogue that should have been sunk, there's a nice little scene in which humans have to make a difficult decision.

For every stretch of generic sci-fi-via-CGI moviemaking, there's a welcome bit of wit. Under the direction of Peter Berg -- the talented, ever-maturing filmmaker behind "Friday Night Lights" and "The Kingdom" -- "Battleship" is a sound vessel floating in Hollywood's oil-slick sea of "Transformers" sequels and vampire riffs.

The object of the original game is simple: Attack an opponent's ''fleet'' through a combination of mental strategy, deductive logic, and luck. The movie doesn't forget these low-tech roots. There's a nifty sequence in which sailors track incoming alien fighters using similar X-marks-the-spot skills. But before getting to the hardcore blow-'em-up portion of the humans-versus-aliens warfare entertainment, we are given time to invest in the relationship between Stone Hopper ("True Blood's" Alexander Skarsgård) and his younger brother, Alex (Taylor Kitsch from TV's "Friday Night Lights") -- the former a courageous Navy officer of great character, the latter a corner-cutting showboater who is about to have his character entirely re-welded through the Navy challenges that await him. (Kitsch does an admirable, controlled job of steering his character from screwup to leader.)

We understand that Alex loves a bombshell physical therapist named Sam (Brooklyn Decker), and that Sam happens to be the daughter of crusty U.S. Pacific Fleet commander Admiral Shane (Liam Neeson, barking but not biting). We see the emotional-zeitgeist logic in the special interest that Sam has taken in the physical rehabilitation of an Army veteran and amputee, authentically played by real-life Army vet and amputee Gregory D. Gadson. We appreciate the pop culture traffic jam that has musical glam girl Rihanna passing muster as a tough (yet cool!) fellow sailor. And we know to keep an eye on the conflict that rumbles at first between Alex and a Japanese officer (Tadanobu Asano) because Japanese-American hurts and fears left over from the real Pearl Harbor will be worked out before the movie is over for the benefit of boomers and assorted granddads in the audience.

It's only once we know all these things -- carbon-based touches not found in the Hasbro product -- that "Battleship" gets down to the business of hotshot combat between brave U.S. Navy fighters and aggressive alien visitors. (The invaders, by the way, appear to have studied "Transformers" fashion magazines to design their space-metal wardrobes.) Amid this fracas, there's a welcome mood lightener in the form of a gentle comic-neurotic turn by Hamish Linklater ("The New Adventures of Old Christine") as a deep-space scientist who has reason to regret his search for extraterrestrial life.

"Battleship" is gratifying that way. At the story's center are all the clanging fireballs a kid could want to watch whizzing across a computerized sky -- not to mention naval strategy and a fact-based demonstration of real destroyer-ship capabilities. And surrounding the alien rumpus, the filmmakers have built an unexpectedly sincere salute to the awesome responsibilities of today's U.S. Navy as well as to the heroic work of veterans who came before. For all that, the captains of this movie deserve a medal. B+ [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/18/showbiz/movies/battleship-review/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4472033][URL]http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/18/showbiz/movies/battleship-review/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9[/URL][/QUOTE]

The previews looked like the movie would be a lot of fun but that is the first positive preview I have read.

Jets Insider VIP
    Early word is Brooklyn Decker's performance is Oscar-worthy

36% on rotten tomatoes. 33% top critics.

I should mention, the wife is the driving force behind seeing it.

She likes the dude from "True Blood" in it.

Since I made her go see "Red Brains BAD, Blue Brains GOOD, Skyline the MOVIE!", I owe here a risky "this is probably going to suck a massive ton" choice.

So, here is hoping the special effects and Navy Ships vs. Aliens at least cool and explodey.

I like Popcorn, so it'll be all good either way.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4472066]Early word is Brooklyn Decker's performance is Oscar-worthy[/QUOTE]

No way. Rihanna will steal the show as the tough, give-em-hell female Navy officer.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4472028]
    If you're in the mood for some Sci-Fi stuff, go out and rent Mass Effect 3. You'd like it.[/QUOTE]

Not without 1 and 2... Pointless...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4472118]Not without 1 and 2... Pointless...[/QUOTE]

I was assuming he played the first 2.

I lost my XBox to the dark overlord of Red Ring hell....and my ME 1 & 2 save files. Just rented ME3 on the PS3 and wasn't entirely disappointed not having the save info. Friggin LOVED that first ground battle sequence on Earth to take out the Hades Cannon...the bright flashes of the cannon with everything shaking, even when peering through your reticle, and the noise of it so loud that you don't even hear your own gun firing. Very cool. Wish the game allowed you to replay specific missions after you beat it....

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4472134]I was assuming he played the first 2.[/quote]

I did not. Historicly, I'm not a big fan of those kind of single-player games. I've been an MMO player for many many years now, almost exclusively. It's only in recent years I've gone back to playing a few single-player style games like Skyrim.

My Sci-Fi game is EVE Online.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4472111]No way. Rihanna will steal the show as the tough, give-em-hell female Navy officer.[/QUOTE]

What an amazing opportunity for an A+ lesbo scene this one misses.

:drool:

Rihanna and Brooklyn starring in "Battleclit"?

All Pro
    To me, this is the kind of movie where you already know whether you'll enjoy it or not.

You know it's not gonna be a "great film" -- it's mindless popcorn fluff, but with state fo the art SFX type action.

A) Are you capable of turning off your brain for two hours and enjoying a movie even if the dialogue and acting is terrible and the plot only kind of makes sense?

B) Do you love CGI action spectacle in the vein of Transformers?

There have been a lot of bad reviews... But there have also been reviews like this:

“When the F-14s came out for a triumphant flyover, I looked around the room to find the moron who was applauding only to realize that it was me.”

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4472146]What an amazing opportunity for an A+ lesbo scene this one misses.

:drool:

Rihanna and Brooklyn starring in "Battleclit"?[/QUOTE]

This guy gets clit.

[QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
    robes de mariée , robes de bal, robes de soirée , robes mariées, robes de femmes , robes de demoiselles d'honneur

[QUOTE=opshopgoose;4472185]robes de mariée , robes de bal, robes de soirée , robes mariées, robes de femmes , robes de demoiselles d'honneur[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaaaaannnd How!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=opshopgoose;4472185]robes de mariée , robes de bal, robes de soirée , robes mariées, robes de femmes , robes de demoiselles d'honneur[/QUOTE]

This. Robes an' whatnot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Banning spammers is like going to the range to get my target shooting practice in.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4472090]I should mention, the wife is the driving force behind seeing it.

[B]She likes the dude from "True Blood" in it.[/B]

Since I made her go see "Red Brains BAD, Blue Brains GOOD, Skyline the MOVIE!", I owe here a risky "this is probably going to suck a massive ton" choice.

So, here is hoping the special effects and Navy Ships vs. Aliens at least cool and explodey.

I like Popcorn, so it'll be all good either way.[/QUOTE]

I never saw True Blood, but I recognize him as the Sargent in Generation Kill.
    [SIZE="1"]Wouldn't kick him out of bed (girl version of "I'd hit it" :P)[/SIZE]

Should be a fun movie, though I assume there's no story just a lot of action scenes and macho guys fighting aliens. Not that a battleship has any chance against a massive alien -- but who says these movies have to make sense? :D

Jets Insider VIP

Mods, personal attack!! :mad: