Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dear Jets-Bring Back the 80s Throwback Uniforms This Season

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4473564]We were going to tie it up at 24 with7 minutes left. Pittsburgh was sh*tting a brick, in the middle of an epic choke. That was not garbage time. The bad start pissed me off, too. But sh*t happens. I just don't understand the "we suck" mentality from you, you must be one of those people who believes all the negative bull coming out of the media[/QUOTE]

Unlike you, I've seen a few decades of the Jets being a laughing stock and I know what I see based on last season and this offseason and I smell what's coming.

Give me some credit. I'm rarely wrong.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4473586]Freeman Mcneil, Wesley Walker, Mickey Shuler, The Sack Exchange....[/QUOTE]

....yes, a season-here a season-there of occasional decent football in spurts. But add up the period between 1978 and 1996 and you're looking at an inconsistent horror show. A punching-bag for the Dolphins and Bills, a blown Sack Exchange opportunity, and horrific QB play.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473678]I love when so-called Jets fans read a few realistic posts that contradict their false fantasies, quickly jump to the wrong conclusion.

I've been a Jets fan since 1978, haven't missed a game [I]ever [/I]either live or on TV, I've cut two honeymoon's short to watch the team play, I've spent over $100,000 on tickets, PSL's, gas, tolls, concessions, you name it, and having committed 30 years on 4 seats at MetLife expect to pay out another $250,000 until my last game when I'm 80 years old and can't do it anymore.

[I]"Go root for someone else."[/I] LOL. I've got one for you- go pick a fight with someone else. Or, better yet, cut the Jets a check for $350,000 and [I]then [/I]you can question my loyalty vs. yours. Savvy?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Blah blah blah, you spent money going to games like the rest of us, my hero.

I'm not picking a fight with you, I'm pointing out that you don't speak for "all Jet fans over 40" as you like to start every opinion you have with.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4473687]Blah blah blah, you spent money going to games like the rest of us, my hero.

I'm not picking a fight with you, I'm pointing out that you don't speak for "all Jet fans over 40" as you like to start every opinion you have with.[/QUOTE]

1. I wasn't questioning your loyalty. You questioned [I]mine[/I].

2. I speak for myself. How you interpret my written word to represent "all Jets fans" is your problem, not mine.

3. There's an "ignore" feature. If what other posters write bothers you that much, I suggest you use it rather than spamming the board with personal attacks which, ironically, are a[I] bigger[/I] waste of bandwidth than the very posts you have negative reactions to.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1971/img0465iy.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473686]....yes, a season-here a season-there of occasional decent football in spurts. But add up the period between 1978 and 1996 and you're looking at an inconsistent horror show. A punching-bag for the Dolphins and Bills, a blown Sack Exchange opportunity, and horrific QB play.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

And we have won nothing after that either. No trophies = no trophies. I would prefer to remember the bright spots on move on. Seeing the Jets in those late 70's -80s uniforms is not going to trigger any sort of flashback reaction in me. I would prefer them over the titans garbage.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473683]Unlike you, I've seen a few decades of the Jets being a laughing stock and I know what I see based on last season and this offseason and I smell what's coming.

Give me some credit. I'm rarely wrong.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

If you turn out right and the Jets tank and Rex is canned I'll be the first to give you credit, but you better acknowledge my opinion was right if they have a good year, make the playoffs and Rex doesnt get fired. Deal?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4473694]And we have won nothing after that either. No trophies = no trophies. I would prefer to remember the bright spots on move on. Seeing the Jets in those late 70's -80s uniforms is not going to trigger any sort of flashback reaction in me. I would prefer them over the titans garbage.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/03/ovechkin-tongue.jpg[/IMG]

Agreed that [I]anything [/I]is better than the Titans. Forgetting the bad memories for a moment and focusing on style:

Instead of a rehash of the 80's green uniform which was about as plain and basic as it gets, I'd rather we do something completely modern and sleek, more like the Broncos or Cardinals or Vikings with side stripes, piping, a third color (silver, though some like black) etc.

Part of my issue is that all my favorite teams are in this "original nostalgia" groove. Yankees and Rangers and Jets. All have classic uniforms, none have an alternate at all (the Rangers do but that's not even close to what you'd call "modern", actually a take on their 1920's gear). Just [I]once [/I]I'd like something rakish and exciting, bring us into the 10's in style.

So my vote: Yes, give us an alternate. Yes, use the 80's Jets flying-script logo, but put some real design thrust behind it, make it modern. I put the Capitals jersey pic up there as a good example. The logo is straight from the 70's but the blocking, striping, piping, coloration.....strikingly modern. Do that for the Jets, I'll own [I]two [/I]jersey's.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 05-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4473699]If you turn out right and the Jets tank and Rex is canned I'll be the first to give you credit, but you better acknowledge my opinion was right if they have a good year, make the playoffs and Rex doesnt get fired. Deal?[/QUOTE]

Definitely. And here's a better idea: Let's respect each other opinions. It's fine to disagree, but there's a way to debate that doesn't devolve into personal attacks.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 05-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473688]1. I wasn't questioning your loyalty. You questioned [I]mine[/I].

2. I speak for myself. How you interpret my written word to represent "all Jets fans" is your problem, not mine.

3. There's an "ignore" feature. If what other posters write bothers you that much, I suggest you use it rather than spamming the board with personal attacks which, ironically, are a[I] bigger[/I] waste of bandwidth than the very posts you have negative reactions to.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

When you start a comment with "as all jet fans over 40 should know," you better be right or you're getting called out. End of story

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473710]Definitely.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Cool

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4473717]When you start a comment with "as all jet fans over 40 should know," you better be right or you're getting called out. End of story[/QUOTE]

I [I]am [/I]right.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473723]I [I]am [/I]right.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Here we go again...:-(

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473710]Definitely. And here's a better idea: Let's respect each other opinions. It's fine to disagree, but there's a way to debate that doesn't devolve into personal attacks.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Personal, smersonal. Grow a set, if youre putting out comments expect debate

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4473692][IMG]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1971/img0465iy.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Awesome pic, Klecko movin in for the kill

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473707][IMG]http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/03/ovechkin-tongue.jpg[/IMG]

Agreed that [I]anything [/I]is better than the Titans. Forgetting the bad memories for a moment and focusing on style:

Instead of a rehash of the 80's green uniform which was about as plain and basic as it gets, I'd rather we do something completely modern and sleek, more like the Broncos or Cardinals or Vikings with side stripes, piping, a third color (silver, though some like black) etc.

Part of my issue is that all my favorite teams are in this "original nostalgia" groove. Yankees and Rangers and Jets. All have classic uniforms, none have an alternate at all (the Rangers do but that's not even close to what you'd call "modern", actually a take on their 1920's gear). Just [I]once [/I]I'd like something rakish and exciting, bring us into the 10's in style.

So my vote: Yes, give us an alternate. Yes, use the 80's Jets flying-script logo, but put some real design thrust behind it, make it modern. I put the Capitals jersey pic up there as a good example. The logo is straight from the 70's but the blocking, striping, piping, coloration.....strikingly modern. Do that for the Jets, I'll own [I]two [/I]jersey's.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

The Vikings went from one of the best uniforms in the league to one of the worst. All of that piping and swoops aren't stylish, they're crap. They look like bad AFL uniforms.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4473746]The Vikings went from one of the best uniforms in the league to one of the worst. All of that piping and swoops aren't stylish, they're crap. They look like bad AFL uniforms.[/QUOTE]

Again, we're talking [I]alternates[/I] here, something we wear twice a year at best. Looking at this list of potentials, I'll take #4:

1. NY Titans (blue and mustard)
    2. NY Jets 1980 (pure white on green)
    3. NY Jets 1990 (black accents)
    4. NY Jets Modern (redesign the whole thing)

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473765]Again, we're talking [I]alternates[/I] here, something we wear twice a year at best. Looking at this list of potentials, I'll take #4:

1. NY Titans (blue and mustard)
    2. NY Jets 1980 (pure white on green)
    3. NY Jets 1990 (black accents)
    4. NY Jets Modern (redesign the whole thing)

SAR I[/QUOTE]

No way. There's nothing wrong with the simplicity of an understated design. Incorporating silver and black is the equivalent of '90s drop-shadowing jersey numbers -- it looks trendy and dated even when it's popular.

You know who has the best alternates in the NFL (and it pains me to say this)? The Patriots. White helmets, red shirts, white pants, and the angry looking player in the 3-point stance on the helmet. Classic, simple, perfect. Their regular unis, with all the design elements you prefer, are terrible.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4472645]I disagree.

I'm a bit of a Jets clothing fashionista and after 30 years of green it was nice to have some blue in the wardrobe. And only those-in-the-know understand who the Titans are, so it's like some cool club I'm in, only diehard NFL'ers getting the gist.

Point being, I don't like the Titans gear on the Jets but I do like the Titans gear on me. Nothing wrong with some throwback duds for the fans, just keep it off the players.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Where can I get Titans gear? Would like a sweatshirt but can't find any? Any ideas?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GeorgeSauer;4473783]Where can I get Titans gear? Would like a sweatshirt but can't find any? Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Very hard to find it now. I paid $300 to a JI member to buy his off of him.

eBay is your only hope. Check often.

SAR I