Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dear Jets-Bring Back the 80s Throwback Uniforms This Season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4472645]I disagree.

I'm a bit of a Jets clothing fashionista and after 30 years of green it was nice to have some blue in the wardrobe. And only those-in-the-know understand who the Titans are, so it's like some cool club I'm in, only diehard NFL'ers getting the gist.

Point being, I don't like the Titans gear on the Jets but I do like the Titans gear on me. Nothing wrong with some throwback duds for the fans, just keep it off the players.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Fashionista? I dont think thats the correct term for a male SAR. Unless......
    But i agree with you. its nice to wear my Titans revis jersey around pittsburgh and get weird looks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4472600]It's a horrible idea for anyone over the age of 40 who a) make up the majority of PSL ownership and b) have nothing but bad memories of losing seasons and nightmares of Marino and Kelly.

Burn those uniforms.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

WELL PUT...... NOTHING post 1986 is memorable IMO.....why stop there. NOTHING post 86 to 97 is memorable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4472684]What about the '81, '82, '85, '86 and '91 teams that made the playoffs?

Don't try to speak for anyone but your miserable, whiny self[/QUOTE]

You tell em Mohegangreen!!
    :rockon::rockon::rockon::clapper::clapper: :director:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4472645]I disagree.

I'm a bit of a Jets clothing fashionista and after 30 years of green it was nice to have some blue in the wardrobe.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

quite the phag for a public bus rider.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4472670]I was born in 1984. The first Jets coach I knew was Rich Kotite. I should have seen the writing on the wall back then.[/QUOTE]

You had a small taste of the pain. You missed the 'good' stuff from 1978-1994, we were terrible.

Those uniforms remind us of the horror of Richard Todd, the Buffalo wildcard loss, the Roughing the Passer in Cleveland, Marino-to-Duper, Kelly-to-Everyone, the Fake Spike, the works.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4472684]What about the '81, '82, '85, '86 and '91 teams that made the playoffs?

You have 300 posts in 9 years. You don't know me, and I know enough not to care about your opinion.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4472687]We almost came back and won in Pitt, if not for Schotty rearing his ugly head at 24 -17, 1st and goal, all the momentum was ours. We would have won if we tied it up. It was not over at halftime[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/h1-1.jpg[/IMG]

The game was a comical blowout, the scoring coming in humiliating garbage time. At any moment Pittsburgh could have turned up the scoring, they simply didn't need to until the very end.

Rex Ryan lost that game, not Brian Schottenheimer. I hated Schottenheimer, but I wasn't drunk during the game. I was paying attention. Try it some time.

Since you think we played well enough to win, PM me. I'll give you a good deal on one of these.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 05-21-2012 at 12:18 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4472692]Blah, blah, blah, you don't speak for anyone but you're miserable self, so stop with the "anyone over 40" rhetoric. You don't know sh*t.[/QUOTE]

I'm not miserable at all, quite happy in fact.

But I know when our 15 year run is over, happened at 8-5 last year. The Oakland and Denver games were the start, the Giants and Dolphins game were the Big Finish.

Make sure in Week 6 when Rex Ryan is fired and Mark Sanchez is benched you come back here and apologize. I won't hit you with the "I told you so", that's not my style. Savvy?

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4472808]Really?? Green defines the Jets. Blue defines the Giants, Patriots, Bills (aka our enemies) and countless other teams.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/afltitans.jpg[/IMG]

Like I said, I liked the Titans stuff because it was an inside-joke, a bit of a secret club of fans who knew what the NY Titans were and what they became.

It was (is) cool to put on NY Titans gear no matter the color simply because it shows you're a diehard Jets fan, hardcore to wear that stuff. I had Titans stuff off of eBay years before the Jets decided to embrace it. Wore a Titans t-shirt and hoodie and cap to the stadium, people got it, it was good.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473434]I'm not miserable at all, quite happy in fact.

But I know when our 15 year run is over, happened at 8-5 last year. The Oakland and Denver games were the start, the Giants and Dolphins game were the Big Finish.

Make sure in Week 6 when Rex Ryan is fired and Mark Sanchez is benched you come back here and apologize. I won't hit you with the "I told you so", that's not my style. Savvy?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Ok, how much? I'll put my money where my mouth is, you just love to ***** and moan about the Jets. Everything about them always sucks, so go root for someone else.

Anyone who claims to "speak for anyone over 40" should know to not to include Walt and Rex in their Hall of Shame.
    Just Sayin...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was never into posting over the years, just used to scan the board for some interesting reading. People like you, with your smug, know it all arrogance, have always drawn me in to comment. Plus, now I have an Iphone:-)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473432][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/h1-1.jpg[/IMG]

The game was a comical blowout, the scoring coming in humiliating garbage time. At any moment Pittsburgh could have turned up the scoring, they simply didn't need to until the very end.

Rex Ryan lost that game, not Brian Schottenheimer. I hated Schottenheimer, but I wasn't drunk during the game. I was paying attention. Try it some time.

Since you think we played well enough to win, PM me. I'll give you a good deal on one of these.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

We were going to tie it up at 24 with7 minutes left. Pittsburgh was sh*tting a brick, in the middle of an epic choke. That was not garbage time. The bad start pissed me off, too. But sh*t happens. I just don't understand the "we suck" mentality from you, you must be one of those people who believes all the negative bull coming out of the media

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Pack's throw backs too.

The 80's jets garb was lame. Keep the Titans.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4473429]You had a small taste of the pain. You missed the 'good' stuff from 1978-1994, we were terrible.

Those uniforms remind us of the horror of Richard Todd, the Buffalo wildcard loss, the Roughing the Passer in Cleveland, Marino-to-Duper, Kelly-to-Everyone, the Fake Spike, the works.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Freeman Mcneil, Wesley Walker, Mickey Shuler, The Sack Exchange....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4473586]Freeman Mcneil, Wesley Walker, Mickey Shuler, The Sack Exchange....[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Pete. Lions or Saints fans during that period should talk like him, not Jet fans we had quite a few great players and many years where we contended for a Super Bowl

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree here. I became a Jets fan in the late 70s and watched them through the '80s. Seeing those playoff-worthy teams get stronger and not quite get there strengthened my resolve as a Jets fan.

I think SAR was thinking of the majority of the 70s and then the Kotite years. The Jets fielded some competitive teams those 80s-early-90s years too. SOJ term comes into play as they all fell short despite showing promise, but the sack-exchange and a promising O'Brien lighting it up, the Coslet era had promise that fell short - mainly thanks to Buffalo beating them down twice a year every year. Those teams weren't league embarrassments by any means. We fielded some poor Jets squads with our current unis too, doesn't take away from them at all. It's not the uni, it's the team!

I keep saying it over and over - the Patriots were absolute garbage with the g@y patriot white helmet/red jerseys. One small glimmer on that era was getting to the Super Bowl only to star as the losers in the lost lop-sided laugher of a Super Bowl ever. They bring those unis out with Tom Brady, and well whattya' know... they still win! And they look cool. Not the Pats fans want to see them all the time, but as a changeup. Same with Tampa Bay. Those orange unis were reviled, but as a flashback a couple times a year, they're cool and a fresh change! I like our current unis but I grew up with those green ones and would love to see our current team in them a couple times a year. Not every game, but a few times would be sweet - But, the choices would be the white trim or black trim. I like both myself. Use both from time to time. And bring back that OOOLLLLD school green Jet on the white helmet once ina great while too. Don't some teams have multiple alternates? Why not? I get bored of the same uni every game!

And mind you, I'm not a purchasing lemming - this is coming from someone who never buys ANY of the jerseys (all of mine that I own were gifts). I'll get a hat when I see one I like (have more Jets hats than anything else) or a shirt every once in a while, but I make a policy of never buying jerseys because players come and go (some better than others, obviously) but the Jets are always my team, not the players.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4473564]We were going to tie it up at 24 with7 minutes left. Pittsburgh was sh*tting a brick, in the middle of an epic choke. That was not garbage time. The bad start pissed me off, too. But sh*t happens. I just don't understand the "we suck" mentality from you, you must be one of those people who believes all the negative bull coming out of the media[/QUOTE]

I agree. We got embarrased in the 1st half - we simply did not match their fire - but we almost executed one of the best playoff comebacks of all time! If not for Schotty calls on the goal line, we would've pulled it off and the perspective on that squad would've been entirely different! And I have never drank watching a game ever! That's watching every one for decades now - watching every play like it was our last (some of those that would DRIVE you to drink though, haha!).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChrisChrusher#40;4473657]I have to agree here. I became a Jets fan in the late 70s and watched them through the '80s. Seeing those playoff-worthy teams get stronger and not quite get there strengthened my resolve as a Jets fan.

I think SAR was thinking of the majority of the 70s and then the Kotite years. The Jets fielded some competitive teams those 80s-early-90s years too. SOJ term comes into play as they all fell short despite showing promise, but the sack-exchange and a promising O'Brien lighting it up, the Coslet era had promise that fell short - mainly thanks to Buffalo beating them down twice a year every year. Those teams weren't league embarrassments by any means. We fielded some poor Jets squads with our current unis too, doesn't take away from them at all. It's not the uni, it's the team!

I keep saying it over and over - the Patriots were absolute garbage with the g@y patriot white helmet/red jerseys. One small glimmer on that era was getting to the Super Bowl only to star as the losers in the lost lop-sided laugher of a Super Bowl ever. They bring those unis out with Tom Brady, and well whattya' know... they still win! And they look cool. Not the Pats fans want to see them all the time, but as a changeup. Same with Tampa Bay. Those orange unis were reviled, but as a flashback a couple times a year, they're cool and a fresh change! I like our current unis but I grew up with those green ones and would love to see our current team in them a couple times a year. Not every game, but a few times would be sweet - But, the choices would be the white trim or black trim. I like both myself. Use both from time to time. And bring back that OOOLLLLD school green Jet on the white helmet once ina great while too. Don't some teams have multiple alternates? Why not? I get bored of the same uni every game!

And mind you, I'm not a purchasing lemming - this is coming from someone who never buys ANY of the jerseys (all of mine that I own were gifts). I'll get a hat when I see one I like (have more Jets hats than anything else) or a shirt every once in a while, but I make a policy of never buying jerseys because players come and go (some better than others, obviously) but the Jets are always my team, not the players.[/QUOTE]

+ 100000000000

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChrisChrusher#40;4473664]I agree. We got embarrased in the 1st half - we simply did not match their fire - but we almost executed one of the best playoff comebacks of all time! If not for Schotty calls on the goal line, we would've pulled it off and the perspective on that squad would've been entirely different! And I have never drank watching a game ever! That's watching every one for decades now - watching every play like it was our last (some of those that would DRIVE you to drink though, haha!).[/QUOTE]

Lets just hope Sparano has that same feel Weis had, our offense was never better than when Weis was mixing it up with his playcalling.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4473548]Ok, how much? I'll put my money where my mouth is, you just love to ***** and moan about the Jets. Everything about them always sucks, so go root for someone else.

[/QUOTE]

I love when so-called Jets fans read a few realistic posts that contradict their false fantasies, quickly jump to the wrong conclusion.

I've been a Jets fan since 1978, haven't missed a game [I]ever [/I]either live or on TV, I've cut two honeymoon's short to watch the team play, I've spent over $100,000 on tickets, PSL's, gas, tolls, concessions, you name it, and having committed 30 years on 4 seats at MetLife expect to pay out another $250,000 until my last game when I'm 80 years old and can't do it anymore.

[I]"Go root for someone else."[/I] LOL. I've got one for you- go pick a fight with someone else. Or, better yet, cut the Jets a check for $350,000 and [I]then [/I]you can question my loyalty vs. yours. Savvy?

SAR I