Thread: Landry skipping OTAs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Landry skipping OTAs

Jenny Vrentas put this on twitter yesterday....

Jets SS LaRon Landry (Achilles') has not been a regular participant in the team's offseason conditioning program.

[B][I]Landry has been to the facility since he signed in March, but he "has not been regularly participating in training or meetings." The New York beat writers don't know why. It's no secret that multiple teams passed on Landry in free agency because the medical exams on his Achilles' were so poor. The Jets surprisingly guaranteed virtually all of Yeremiah Bell's contract as insurance.[/I][/B]

Not sure why he wouldn't be here for OTAs, especially to get familiar with the other DBs even if he can't go 100%. While I wouldn't be happy losing the $900K signing bonus (especially seeing Reggie Smiths 1 year deal with Carolina), we can dump landry before week 1 if he isn't healthy. Contract info is below:

S Laron Landry signed a 1 year contract worth a possible $3.5 million dollars with the New York Jets on March 19, 2012. Landry received a $950,000 signing bonus and will earn a $109,375 roster bonus for every game that he is on the active 46 man roster. Because Landry was only active for 8 games this season only 8 weeks of roster bonus money will be charged to the salary cap in 2012. If he exceeds 8 games active the difference will be deducted from the Jets remaining cap room after the completion of the 2012 season. His base salary is $900,000.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    OTAs are, in the end, optional and there was word that we might stay away weeks ago. That said, the fact that they guarenteed Bell's salary seems to imply that the Jets aren't confident hat Landry is going to be their solution to one of those safety spots.