Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Price Tag on Patriotism

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

A Price Tag on Patriotism

[URL="http://www.creators.com/opinion/mark-shields/a-price-tag-on-patriotism.html"]http://www.creators.com/opinion/mark-shields/a-price-tag-on-patriotism.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]

Will Rogers was wrong. The legendary humorist, speaking of the responsibilities each of us has as a citizen of this nation, once observed, "America is a great country, but you can't live in it for nothing." Unless, it turns out, you're Eduardo Saverin, the 30-year-old co-founder of Facebook, who just before that company launched its initial public offering, which would make him a multibillionaire, renounced his American citizenship and moved to Singapore.

To be fair, according to Tom Goodman, Saverin's New York-based spokesperson, "Eduardo recently found it to be more practical to become a resident of Singapore since he plans to live there for an indefinite period of time." That is, take your choice, bull, baloney or bunkum.

Today's capital gains tax rate in the United States — which is one-half of what it was when conservative Icon Ronald Reagan was president — is just 15 percent. But compared to Singapore's zero capital gains tax rate, it must look irresistible to those who put profits over patriotism.

Some conservatives who seem to hate taxes more than they love America even praise expatriate Saverin for renouncing his U.S. citizenship. Forbes' John Tamny, who covers "the intersection of economics and politics," writes that "wise minds could very credibly proclaim him (Saverin) an American hero for doing what he did."

Let us review the story up to now. Fleeing kidnapping threats against his wealthy family, Eduardo Saverin, at the age of 13, came to the United States from Brazil, his country of birth. He became a U.S. citizen and graduated magna cum laude from Harvard, where he met the two other co-founders of Facebook.

Among the rights the United States provided to her adopted son Eduardo Saverin was security from personal danger, the freedom to become whatever his talents and hard work would permit him to be, copyright and patent laws to protect his invention and a court system to guarantee those protections.

You can call Saverin a genius, an extraordinary entrepreneur and a capitalist success.

What you cannot call Saverin is a patriot. Ungrateful to the country that gave him safe harbor and a new life, Saverin put a price tag on patriotism and, rather than pay the taxes dues on his unfathomable fortune, chose to get himself a change-of-address card for Singapore.

This is the thanks he gives to the people and their government that welcomed him and guaranteed that the air he would breathe and the water he would drink were clean, that the food he ate and medicine he took were healthful, and that he and his family were protected by the world's best military.

It is beyond kind to call someone who greedily grabs all that his new U.S. citizenship gives him and then refuses to give back what he owes a freeloader. No, this loathsome behavior is instead parasitic.

Fifty years ago, a young American president told the world that "to assure the survival and the success of liberty," he and his fellow countrymen "will pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship." Today, for Eduardo Saverin and his apologists in the tax-avoidance club, to be a citizen is all about your rights and nothing about your responsibilities. And if you don't like any law, you can just do what to the rest of us is truly unimaginable — and renounce your American citizenship.

To find out more about Mark Shields and read his past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate web page at [url]www.creators.com[/url].

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

COPYRIGHT 2012 MARK SHIELDS

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]It is beyond kind to call someone who greedily grabs all that his new U.S. citizenship gives him and then refuses to give back what he owes a freeloader. No, this loathsome behavior is instead parasitic.
    [/QUOTE]

Funny, that line from your article sounds ALOT like Illegal Immigration to me, less teh Citizenship part. Note that Illegal Immigration is, wait for it......illegal, and the parasitic grabers not citizens at all.

Is what this chump doing legal? Yep, it sure is.

You don't have to like the legal behaviors of others. But you do have to tolerate it.

Otherwise, work to change the law. And maybe the Govt. will actually enforce it....well, maybe.

Whining about it won't help.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4473165]Funny, that line from your article sounds ALOT like Illegal Immigration to me, less teh Citizenship part. Note that Illegal Immigration is, wait for it......illegal, and the parasitic grabers not citizens at all.

Is what this chump doing legal? Yep, it sure is.

You don't have to like the legal behaviors of others. But you do have to tolerate it.

Otherwise, work to change the law. And maybe the Govt. will actually enforce it....well, maybe.

Whining about it won't help.[/QUOTE]

Mr Shields is not calling for the Government to do anything. Unlike the Anti-Illegal immigrant movement. He is just pointing out the shelfish behavior of a greedy d!ckhead.

as much as I wish he was paying taxes on his income, he's not doing anything corporations don't do every day.

Savarin is teaching liberals a lesson conservatives have been screaming about for years. Money is mobile. People that have it will do anything within the law to keep it. When states like Illinois and New York enact "millionaire taxes" and high taxation compared to other states the money that can leave the state chooses to leave. The higher tax rates by default lower revenue because the tax base shrinks. This is an I told you so moment for conservatives. The writer has it wrong. Is Savarin a jerk? I don't know, maybe. Who cares. The lesson in the portability of money is a stark one. This is precisely why our corporate tax code needs to be modernized.

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4473324]Savarin is teaching liberals a lesson conservatives have been screaming about for years. Money is mobile. People that have it will do anything within the law to keep it. When states like Illinois and New York enact "millionaire taxes" and high taxation compared to other states the money that can leave the state chooses to leave. The higher tax rates by default lower revenue because the tax base shrinks. This is an I told you so moment for conservatives. The writer has it wrong. Is Savarin a jerk? I don't know, maybe. Who cares. The lesson in the portability of money is a stark one. This is precisely why our corporate tax code needs to be modernized.[/QUOTE]

And that is the counter-point.

Two things.

Earn a $ billion via stocks and the Government taxes 15%. That leaves you with $850,000,000.00.
    That isn't enough?

It'd truly be a cryin' shame if Singapore's authoritarian government changed the rules and stripped him of all that cash.

[QUOTE=Buster;4473386]And that is the counter-point.

Two things.

Earn a $ billion via stocks and the Government taxes 15%. That leaves you with $850,000,000.00.
    That isn't enough?

It'd truly be a cryin' shame if Singapore's authoritarian government changed the rules and stripped him of all that cash.[/QUOTE]

Actually the State of California would take an additional 10%. If I'm a rich guy about to take a capital gain wouldn't it be prudent to at least change residency to an income tax free state? The point is to understand the motivations of people. They want to keep their money. If there is a tax loophole they will use it.

[QUOTE=Buster;4473386]
    [B]That isn't enough?[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Define "enough".

Most people make more than they "need" and therefore could technically give more.

It's easy to point a finger at the other guy, but it's also a cop-out . . .

(not you personally, just liberals in general)

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4473396]Actually the State of California would take an additional 10%. If I'm a rich guy about to take a capital gain wouldn't it be prudent to at least change residency to an income tax free state? The point is to understand the motivations of people. They want to keep their money. If there is a tax loophole they will use it.[/QUOTE]

I understand that some folks a sh!theals. I do. Everyone is different. Some folks are ratF@ck j@rkoffs and some folks are actually appreciative of what the USA has done for them.

To me there is little difference between having $1,000,000,000 & having $700,000,000.

But that's me. I can get by on 10 mansions and 50 cars. And I love the USA. Not everyone does. They just take and take and [U]feel entitled[/U]. The type of people who say: “thanks for the BJ! I’m leaving with mouthwash and you can’t have any”

All League
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4473400]Define "enough".

Most people make more than they "need" and therefore could technically give more.

It's easy to point a finger at the other guy, but it's also a cop-out . . .

(not you personally, just liberals in general)[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, OCCH....Just don't complain about the lottery winner who still collected the $100 in food stamps.

His immigration would have never happened witout the USA
    Harvard University would not exist without the USA
    FaceBook would not exist with out the USA.

Go ahead beat us out of tax revenue that you never-ever be able to spend.

Mr Saverin you are awesome!

[QUOTE=Buster;4473407]Fair enough, OCCH....Just don't complain about the lottery winner who still collected the $100 in food stamps.

His immigration would have never happened witout the USA
    Harvard University would not exist without the USA
    FaceBook would not exist with out the USA.

Go ahead beat us out of tax revenue that you never-ever be able to spend.

Mr Saverin you are awesome![/QUOTE]

And why does he still get the food stamps? Because we've created an entitlement society that's grossly out of hand.

I never said I approved of his actions -- they do put self above country. But I'm tired of people complaining how some don't give ENOUGH when there are too many not giving ANYTHING, but still thinking they are "entitled" to stuff . . .

All League
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4473409]And why does he still get the food stamps? Because we've created an entitlement society that's grossly out of hand.

I never said I approved of his actions -- they do put self above country. But I'm tired of people complaining how some don't give ENOUGH when there are too many not giving ANYTHING, but still thinking they are "entitled" to stuff . . .[/QUOTE]

It is hard to give when there are no jobs. In case you haven't noticed we are in a 'tight' job market. The unskilled are in a bad spot. Do you think mass starvation of the bottom 5% of our population will cause the economy to grow?

It aggravates me that the only people who face blame is the little guy who took a little. The Guy who took us for $150+ million. He is a-ok
    Last edited by Buster; 05-20-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: they

If Obama has his way allot of money will be going overseas.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4473306]as much as I wish he was paying taxes on his income, he's not doing anything corporations don't do every day.[/QUOTE]

or for that matter..the MILLIONS of Americans across the country claiming tax free disability income, pensions, social security through "on the job" accidents. Shame for those truly injured on the job and truly disabled.

Then they go on to run marathons, become carpenters, electricians, security guards etc..

Collect pensions and or social security, pay no tax and utilize all the services of this country and PAY NOTHING.

I say all those at facebook should cash in and pay for the abuse cited below.

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/he_beating_the_system_V4MHAtqaCYh1DeuzX8PCDL[/url]

[url]http://www.firerescue1.com/health/articles/860738-NYC-mayor-unhappy-with-FDNY-disability-abuse/[/url]
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-21-2012 at 06:22 AM.

[QUOTE=Buster;4473413]It is hard to give when there are no jobs. In case you haven't noticed we are in a 'tight' job market. The unskilled are in a bad spot. Do you think mass starvation of the bottom 5% of our population will cause the economy to grow?

It aggravates me that the only people who face blame is the little guy who took a little. The Guy who took us for $150+ million. He is a-ok[/QUOTE]

So we just became an entitlement nation in the past few years?

I'm all for helping those in need, but we live in a society that says they are ENTITLED to that help, and I just don't believe that's a message that has helped our nation.

Push comes to shove, the rich haven't "taken us" for anything -- they are just manipulating the system the way many in our entitlement society are doing.

The question simply becomes which bothers you more, and for me I'll give the guy who's providing thousands of jobs a pass over the guy who doesn't feel like looking for one . . .

[QUOTE=OCCH;4473465]So we just became an entitlement nation in the past few years?

I'm all for helping those in need, but we live in a society that says they are ENTITLED to that help, and I just don't believe that's a message that has helped our nation.

Push comes to shove, the rich haven't "taken us" for anything -- they are just manipulating the system the way many in our entitlement society are doing.

The question simply becomes which bothers you more, and for me I'll give the guy who's providing thousands of jobs a pass over the guy who doesn't feel like looking for one . . .[/QUOTE]

It is sad the direction our country has moved in since Kennedy's "ask not what your country can do for you" speech. The only takeaway from this thread is a big I told you so for Librerals. Money is mobile. Punishing tax policy and Buffet rules will chase the big dollars away. They wont raise revenues. They will lose us money by chasing away the big producers and job creators and charity givers.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4473487]It is sad the direction our country has moved in since Kennedy's "ask not what your country can do for you" speech. The only takeaway from this thread is a big I told you so for Librerals. Money is mobile. Punishing tax policy and Buffet rules will chase the big dollars away. They wont raise revenues. They will lose us money by chasing away the big producers and job creators and charity givers.[/QUOTE]

Michael Bloomberg has that figured out.

BLOOMBERG: One percent of the people that live in the city, the households that file in the city pay something like 50% of the taxes. In a city that's about 40,000 people so, you know, a handful left, any raise would make it revenue neutral. The question is, "What's fair?" If one percent are paying 50% of the taxes, you want to make it even more? A little over half the people, half the households who file tax returns don't pay any taxes. And about 30% of the households that file get a credit from the government. The government sends them a check. That's the Earned Income Tax Credit.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-21-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Laughable article. So now paying excess taxes is patriotic!

"Yay America! Here's my money, take it and squander it at your will! I love you!"

Give me a break.

If people felt their tax money was being primarily spent to protect their freedoms, as it should be, instead of being wasted in every possible way, they might be a little more willing to give it here before spending it elsewhere.

Call me when the author (or any other lib) is voluntarily donating money to the government out of their sense of patriotism :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Buster;4473403]I understand that some folks a sh!theals. I do. Everyone is different. Some folks are ratF@ck j@rkoffs and some folks are actually appreciative of what the USA has done for them.

To me there is little difference between having $1,000,000,000 & having $700,000,000.

But that's me. I can get by on 10 mansions and 50 cars. And I love the USA. Not everyone does. They just take and take and [U]feel entitled[/U]. The type of people who say: “thanks for the BJ! I’m leaving with mouthwash and you can’t have any”[/QUOTE]

Did you LOVE your country enough to fight in a war? Actually put it on the line? If so, you can use profanities at those who wish to protect their money. If not, just another crybaby lib screaming at the rich.

All Pro
    I like the guy who paid an exit tax to skedaddle better 'n the lesion (sic) of parasites who pay nothing to come here and sponge exponentially while sending as much $ as they can out of the USA