Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Leonhard: Should the New England Patriots Consider Signing Him?

Jim Leonhard: Should the New England Patriots Consider Signing Him?

Don't want to see this but Belicheat always thinks outside the box.

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1186369-jim-leonhard-should-the-new-england-patriots-consider-signing-him[/url]

Depth wins championships.

The New England Patriots have seemingly embraced this notion, signing more free agents than any other team in the NFL this offseason. Aside from quarterback, the Patriots have signed at least one free agent from every position group, building talented depth throughout the entire roster.

However, the safety position still remains thin, with Patrick Chung, newly signed free agent Steve Gregory and second-round draft choice Tavon Wilson the only locks to make the roster.

While Chung has flashed the ability to be a top-tier safety at times throughout his three-year career, he has yet to prove he can stay on the field, having his last two seasons hampered by injury.

Wilson certainly looks the part with a thick frame, standing at 6'0'' and weighing 205 lbs, but his abilities are yet to be seen and should not be depended on to start in the event of an injury.

So who is there to step in should projected starters Chung or Gregory go down next year?

Sergio Brown? Josh Barrett?

I certainly hope not. These two played some of the worst football at the safety position I have ever seen.

If he can make a full recovery from a knee injury he suffered last December, the Patriots should strongly consider signing former New York Jets safety Jim Leonhard.

The Jets have boasted a top 10 pass defense over the last three seasons, and Leonhard has played a integral role in that success.

Described by Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis as the "quarterback" of the Jets secondary, Leonhard is an intelligent veteran who was a leader of an elite secondary over the last three years.

The Patriots young secondary could benefit from the addition of a veteran presence and could certainly use the depth.

While the uncertainty of Leonhard's health definitely presents some risk in a potential signing, Leonhard should come relatively cheap given said risk.

Why not sign him to a short deal and see how it pans out in training camp? Let him come in and compete, and even if his knee becomes an issue, perhaps he could land on the PUP list and bolster the roster later in the season.

Even a limping Jim Leonhard is better than a healthy Sergio Brown or Josh Barrett.

With the Jets signing safety LaRon Landry earlier this offseason and the recent news that they will also be signing safety Yeremiah Bell, Leonhard's time with the Gang Green looks to be over.

The Patriots should be interested in a depth-enhancer like Leonhard. And Leonhard might just jump at the chance to join the team that swept his former squad a season ago.

This sounds to me like thinking inside the box.

Jets Insider VIP
    Stopped reading when I saw Bleacher Report in the link.

All League
    If the Pats did sign him, it wouldn't be for any "inside info" he might have on the Jets. I think by now BB has a good idea what Rex is doing (and visa versa) and info on "calls" and such would be mitigated by the simple fact that with Leonard now on the Pats, they are likely to be changed.

No Leonard to the Pats would be more a function of his health and how the Pats feel about how the current safeties on the roster look in OTA's and into TC. Given his injury, I think he's more likely to sign AFTER TC begins.

BTW- perhaps a more interesting signing might be the Jets signing Andre Carter as better, more well rounded pass rush option. Now THAT would be a coupe

Jets Insider VIP
    Hes slow, small, aging and injured. I hope they sign him.

I don't want him if they run into depth issues mcCourty or Allen can play Safety,

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4473171]If the Pats did sign him, it wouldn't be for any "inside info" he might have on the Jets. I think by now BB has a good idea what Rex is doing (and visa versa) and info on "calls" and such would be mitigated by the simple fact that with Leonard now on the Pats, they are likely to be changed.

No Leonard to the Pats would be more a function of his health and how the Pats feel about how the current safeties on the roster look in OTA's and into TC. Given his injury, I think he's more likely to sign AFTER TC begins.

[B]BTW- perhaps a more interesting signing might be the Jets signing Andre Carter as better, more well rounded pass rush option. Now THAT would be a coup[/B]e[/QUOTE]

It also would make no sense given the talent and depth the Jets have added to the team at the position.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4473172]Hes slow, small, aging and injured. I hope they sign him.[/QUOTE]

SMH.

Thanks a lot Tanny- you ****** it up again- letting another under-appreciated player go just so the Pats can scoop him up and he can have a career year there.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4473187]SMH.

Thanks a lot Tanny- you ****** it up again- letting another under-appreciated player go just so the Pats can scoop him up and he can have a career year there.[/QUOTE]

Is this another Woodscrub rant? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4473187]SMH.

Thanks a lot Tanny- you ****** it up again- letting another under-appreciated player go just so the Pats can scoop him up and he can have a career year there.[/QUOTE]

Shuan Ellis says hi

If the Pats do sign him, I hope he breaks both his legs. Karma is the worst.

All League
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4473197]If the Pats do sign him, I hope he breaks both his legs. Karma is the worst.[/QUOTE]it certainly worked out horribly for Danny Woodhead, ;)

All League
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4473185]It also would make no sense given the talent and depth the Jets have added to the team at the position.[/QUOTE] Ray, all the Jets have added at the OLB position is Thomas, who couldn't rush the passer BEFORE his injury. Yes you have a nice untested and untried prospect who could rush the passer from a 4-3 set at DE, but who is on the other side (assuming Coples turns out to be a viable pass rush threat)? And who is the depth??? Oh I forgot the Jets don't need depth. :rolleyes: Never mind. The Jets are just too good to pick up a first team all pro.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4473201]it certainly worked out horribly for Danny Woodhead, ;)[/QUOTE]
    ...whose role and effectiveness diminished in 2011 and will be a FA after the 2012 season.

[QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4473197]If the Pats do sign him, I hope he breaks both his legs. Karma is the worst.[/QUOTE]

Karma would be he gets the game winning interception to beat us to the playoffs. Are you suggesting he would be the disloyal one if the Jets snub him?

He's a leader and the playcaller, or has everyone forgotten how the D went to sh*t both games after his injuries?

Bring him back if only to mentor and backup.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4473203]Ray, all the Jets have added at the OLB position is Thomas, who couldn't rush the passer BEFORE his injury. Yes you have a nice untested and untried prospect who could rush the passer from a 4-3 set at DE, but who is on the other side (assuming Coples turns out to be a viable pass rush threat)? And who is the depth??? Oh I forgot the Jets don't need depth. :rolleyes: Never mind. The Jets are just too good to pick up a first team all pro.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

The Jets didn't add Thomas, he was re-signed. He'll probably be a starter, but Maybin will have a bigger role with the team this year. The Jets have prospects in Ricky Sapp as well at the position, and already have Pace.

Carter is more of a DE than an OLB, and the Jets have loaded up on the DL the last two years.

If Carter was so great, why aren't the Pats re-signing him? It isn't like the Pats were world beaters on defense last year :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4473208]...whose role and effectiveness diminished in 2011 and will be a FA after the 2012 season.[/QUOTE]It could be the case, Jordy, but we don't know. But if its the truth, he would have been a great pick who in every case, his production exceeded his cost.

But tell me this, Jordy, why is it that so many of the same Jet fans dismiss Woodhead and his 4.6 ypc in 77 carries and 18 catches, are so willing to embrace Joe McNight and his 3.1 ypc in 43 carries and 13 catches

By any measurable comparison, over the last 2 seasons Woodhead has been a much more productive RB.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4473246]It could be the case, Jordy, but we don't know. But if its the truth, he would have been a great pick who in every case, his production exceeded his cost.

But tell me this, Jordy, why is it that so many of the same Jet fans dismiss Woodhead and his 4.6 ypc in 77 carries and 18 catches, are so willing to embrace Joe McNight and his 3.1 ypc in 43 carries and 13 catches

By any measurable comparison, over the last 2 seasons Woodhead has been a much more productive RB.[/QUOTE]
    Like I said, Woodhead's role and effectiveness diminished in 2011 and he will be a FA after the season.

I wasn't comparing him to anyone.

He was and is the beneficiary of a program with a great QB.

All League
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4473231]:rolleyes:

[QUOTE]The Jets didn't add Thomas, he was re-signed. He'll probably be a starter, but Maybin will have a bigger role with the team this year. The Jets have prospects in Ricky Sapp as well at the position, and already have Pace.[/QUOTE] Thomas didn't play a down last season as was a UFA. So yes he is an addition from last year's team.

As for Maybin, last season I think he led the league in coverage sacks, but regardless it was a whole lot better than his previous 2 seasons. So it will be interesting to see if he takes the next step and becomes more than a mop up sacker.

As for Sapp, he is a total unknown, along the lines of the Pats' Markelle Carter

[QUOTE]Carter is more of a DE than an OLB, and the Jets have loaded up on the DL the last two years.
    [/QUOTE] He played a lot more OLB last season than expected and did surprisingly well both at setting the edge and rushing the passer.

I[QUOTE]f Carter was so great, why aren't the Pats re-signing him? It isn't like the Pats were world beaters on defense last year :rolleyes[/QUOTE] In all likelihood, if he's healthy with TC starts, they will. Before the draft I thought it was a 100% certainty that it would happen. But now the Pats have a plethora of guys who are 6'4 or taller and ran the 40 between 4.6-8 (Scott, Jones, Bequette, MCarter, Ninkovich, and Cunningham), that I think there is a 20% chance the Pats not re-sign him.

But for all I know, he might just retire.....or sign with another team. Bottom line, until he's healthy nothing will be know about the future of Andre Carter

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Jim helped Rex get his program underway here up north, I wish nothing but the best for Jim.