Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Article of why we got coach Sparano!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Article of why we got coach Sparano!!!

Yes the following Article repeats stuff we have heard before but isn't good to hear some good news concerning the Jets!!!!!

Updated: Sun., May. 20, 2012, 3:16 AM
    Boisterous Sparano brings accountability to Jets’ attack
    By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 3:16 AM, May 20, 2012

Posted: 12:42 AM, May 20, 2012

Jets practices have a new soundtrack in 2012. The voice of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano can be heard above all others, barking out commands and corrections as the Jets players learn his offense.

Even the guys on the other side of the ball have noticed.

“Sparano is loud,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said last week.

And it isn’t just bluster. Jets players have now spent five weeks with Sparano, and several of them said there is not just a new playbook but a raised level of accountability with Sparano calling the shots.

“He definitely runs a tighter ship than I’ve seen from anyone before, and he’s not going to let anyone slip up,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “I think that’s when problems do arise. It’s going to continue. You can tell it’s not just a one day or an OTA thing, this thing is going to keep on going and going, and I think we need it.”

The Jets hired Sparano in January after six seasons with Brian Schottenheimer in charge of the offense. For most of the Jets offensive players, Schottenheimer is the only coordinator they have played under in the NFL.

The Jets offense fell to 25 th in the league last year, and it was clear that a change needed to be made. The Jets labeled Schottenheimer’s departure as mutual, but it was clear the organization was ready for someone new.

Sparano comes to the Jets after four seasons as the Dolphins head coach. He comes with a reputation for loving to run the ball. Sparano’s no-nonsense style surely

appealed to Jets head coach Rex Ryan, as well. After a 2011 season that was torpedoed by in-fighting among the offensive players, Ryan needed a firm hand to clean up that side of the ball.

“He gets after guys,” Revis said. “I think that’s maybe something Rex wanted to bring to the offense for a coach to get after guys and make sure they’re accountable for what they’re doing on the offense.”

Sparano’s demeanor will mean little, of course, if the offense stumbles on the field. The Jets players have said they are picking up the offense quickly. A theme does seem to be developing when you talk to players — run, run, run then run some more.

[B]“It’s a different mentality with Coach Sparano. He’s the type of person that’s like, if you can’t stop him, he’ll keep doing it,” running back Joe McKnight said. “That’s the kind of mentality I think if we had last year, I think we could have done better. We were just thinking so much last year it made it more easy for us this year.” [/B]

McKnight said the players breathed a sigh of relief when they saw Sparano’s playbook. The play calls are simpler and the players do not have as many adjustments on the line of scrimmage. Schottenheimer’s offense contained options for players depending on how the defense lined up. Sparano’s philosophy seems to be more about running the called play and challenge the defense to stop it.

[B]Ryan raised eyebrows in January in a radio interview when he said even he found the language of Schottenheimer’s offense confusing. [/B][B]Sparano has simplified things. For example, offensive linemen now concentrate on one part of a play call rather than the entire thing.[/B]

[B]“It’s similar to the system that I ran when I was in Pittsburgh, so pretty much everything that he’s brought in is kind of more making sense to me now,” receiver Santonio Holmes said. “Being in Coach Schottenheimer’s offense, it was a little difficult to understand and learn everything on the fly.” [/B]

And if players forget the offense, they know Sparano will remind them — loudly.

“You would think most guys when they’re yelling they’d lose their voice eventually,” Keller said, “but his just keeps on going. ”

[email]brian.costello@nypost.com[/email]

There you have it !!! And I for one LOVE IT!!! I especially think that the bolded parts are very telling!!!:eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sprags?

And this proves once again what a POS Schitty really was. Let's hope it translates on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4473290]Sprags?

And this proves once again what a POS Schitty really was. Let's hope it translates on the field.[/QUOTE]

Coach Sprags is just his nickname but I totally agree isn't it just a little scary what it says about Schotty...:eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4473292]Coach Sprags is just his nickname but I totally agree isn't it just a little scary what it says about Schotty...:eek:[/QUOTE]

Im all for hoping he does well, but 'sprags' has a pretty rough body of work at Miami

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bolded parts only proves what i have thought for quite some time.The Players on the Jets for the most part are not the brightest bulbs in the sockets,and when you combine that with their lack luster willingness to study,learn and execute,you get what we got.

A fall guy.

How is it that this guy Schottenheimer can be said to have the most predictable offense in the league,yet his players are telling the world their couldn't understand it because of it's presnap adjustments.

How is it that the people who didn't practice this offense are able to diagnose it so much quicker and better than those who did on a daily basis.

A box of rocks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4473292]Coach Sprags is just his nickname [/QUOTE]

It is?

Thought it would be Spags, if anything.

Oh well.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;4473298]Im all for hoping he does well, but 'sprags' has a pretty rough body of work at Miami[/QUOTE]

Here is your 1 saving grace.

Sparano was the HC of the Dolphins,not the OC.It was not his offense,he just over-saw the team.

Atleast that's what i am hoping,LOL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;4473298]Im all for hoping he does well, but 'sprags' has a pretty rough body of work at Miami[/QUOTE]

The dolphins were not an easy out prior to his last seaon. They were competitive despite lack of talent at some positions. You would assume that would translate to the Jets offense..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was not impressed by the mess in Miami. Show me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4473300]The bolded parts only proves what i have thought for quite some time.The Players on the Jets for the most part are not the brightest bulbs in the sockets,and when you combine that with their lack luster willingness to study,learn and execute,you get what we got.

A fall guy.

How is it that this guy Schottenheimer can be said to have the most predictable offense in the league,yet his players are telling the world their couldn't understand it because of it's presnap adjustments.

How is it that the people who didn't practice this offense are able to diagnose it so much quicker and better than those who did on a daily basis.

A box of rocks.[/QUOTE]

Unless, because it was so confusing to run, Sanchez tended to go with the "easiest" option, which was also the most obvious to the defense (that's usually how "deceptive" offenses are run -- make the defense think you're doing one thing, then do another. Problem is, we ended up doing what they thought we would . . .)

Of course, pure speculation . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Shotty had to go.....this new, simpler offense seems to blend well with REX.

The chemistry may be better , hopefully so will the results.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The play calling is what made it predictable.Schottenheimer was a one trick pony as a play caller.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsman1;4473322]The play calling is what made it predictable.Schottenheimer was a one trick pony as a play caller.[/QUOTE]

Explain something to me.That article stated by the players that the offense had adjustments presnap by the QB and the skilled players based on what was presented to them by the defense.They got a play,but when they came out of the huddle,and got to the LOS.They had the option to make adjustments based on what they saw and they practiced this during the week.

Where's the predictability.

A box of rocks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am holding on to the fact that Miami was not a talented offensive team. hey had no Qb and very few talented players on O. They did ok under Spags all things considered. I'm not in love with him as the OC but anyone should be a big step up over Schitty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What many people tend to forget is this.

Chad Pennington
    Before Shotty
    2002-03 15games [B]104.2QBR [/B][B]68.9%[/B]208.0YPG[B]22TDS6INT[/B]
    2003-04 10games 82.9QBR 63.6% 213.9YPG13TDs12INT
    2004-05 13games[B] 91.0QBR [/B]65.4%205.6ypg[B]16TDS9INT[/B]
    2005-06 Not enough games to matter

Shotty era
    2006-07 16games 82.6QBR64.5%209.5YPG17TDS16INTS
    2007-08 9 games 86.1QBR[B]68.8%[/B]196.1YPG10TDS9ITS

Miami (Spags)
    2008-0916games [B]97.4QBR[/B]67.4%[B]228.3YPG[/B][B]19TDs7INTs[/B]
    Not enough games to matter he was hurt not Spags fault.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 05-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4473292]Coach Sprags is just his nickname[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. You might be confusing "Sprags" with "Spags," Steve Spagnuolo's nickname, and every time you use it, I get confused thinking you're talking about Spagnuolo for some reason. :confused: I've never heard anyone call Tony Sparano "Coach Sprags."

But more to the point, I'm with you on Sparano! Wasn't too sure about it when he first came on board, but everything I hear about him makes me more and more excited. Finally an offensive coordinator who really holds the offense accountable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4473335]What many people tend to forget is this.

Chad Pennington
    Before Shotty
    2002-03 15games [B]104.2QBR [/B][B]68.9%[/B]208.0YPG[B]22TDS6INT[/B]
    2003-04 10games 82.9QBR 63.6% 213.9YPG13TDs12INT
    2004-05 13games[B] 91.0QBR [/B]65.4%205.6ypg[B]16TDS9INT[/B]
    2005-06 Not enough games to matter

Shotty era
    2006-07 16games 82.6QBR64.5%209.5YPG17TDS16INTS
    2007-08 9 games 86.1QBR[B]68.8%[/B]196.1YPG10TDS9ITS

Miami (Spags)
    2008-0916games [B]97.4QBR[/B]67.4%[B]228.3YPG[/B][B]19TDs7INTs[/B]
    Not enough games to matter he was hurt not Spags fault.[/QUOTE]

oh and lets not forget what he did with Reggie Bush. His #s with Tedd Ginn or Greg Camarillo. He can at least get production out of guys other can't. Don't know what he can do here but it has to be an improvement

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4473328]Explain something to me.That article stated by the players that the offense had adjustments presnap by the QB and the skilled players based on what was presented to them by the defense.They got a play,but when they came out of the huddle,and got to the LOS.They had the option to make adjustments based on what they saw and they practiced this during the week.

Where's the predictability.

A box of rocks.[/QUOTE]

There were too many options, so the players defaulted to option A, the easy, predictable one. The scout team isn't going to be able to disguise themselves the way a real one will. If you're not sure what you're looking at, you go with option A.

It also requires everyone to be on the same page. If Sanchez sees one thing, Holmes sees another, Plax sees something else, and Keller sees what Sanchez saw, then you're going to have guys looking to run 3 different plays. [B]Actually, that probably explains why there were so many times where we saw 2 and 3 receivers running to the same spot on the field.[/B]

The same thing on the offensive line in pass protection. Hunter sees one thing and Keller sees something else. Keller goes out on a route when Hunter was expecting to have help. He's caught off guard and is now at a disadvantage against the pass rusher.

Stuff like this was why the Colts were so hyper specific about the players they acquired on offense. The passing game is based on sight adjustments that produce variations of a (relatively) limited number of "base" passing plays. They had to make sure that any receivers they brought in were capable of making these reads. Brandon Stokely comes to mind. Peyton could make a good receiver out of anybody, but only if that receiver could run the offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Sparano is firey, he was always very animated on the sideline when he was the HC of Miami and he will bring some passion to the offense - something they never had under Schottenheimer.

I think the tandem of Rex & Tony Sparano is going to give this team alot of fire & passion.

Something that was sorely missing last season.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-21-2012 at 05:48 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never seen Sparano referred to "Sprags" anywhere else but here.

Don't know where that comes from.

Closest thing is Steve Spagnuolo who has been referred to as "Spags."