Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Bell's addition can solidify 46 defense

New Story: Bell's addition can solidify 46 defense

With the addition of Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry and drafting Josh Bush and Antonio Allen late in the draft last month, the Jets have made a concise decision to put a stop team's beating them with their tight ends.

In the past the Jets have been among the bottom in the league as far as defenses against the tight end -- where their safeties have either been outweighed or outmatched against the surging trend of athletic tight ends. Now with Bell and Landry seemingly the team's starting safeties, with Eric Smith filling in when needed, offers a tough-guy attitude to...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/wesley_sykes/?p=1596]More...[/url]

Bad link...........

Nice article. With the signing of Bell I now believe (assuming Landry can stay healthy) the Jets is officially fixed and no longer are there any problem areas for our defense. Being top ten the last 3 seasons means there wasn't much that needed to be fixed anyway. But the Safety did look awfully bare last season.

I would expect the Jets defense to climb the statistical rankings this season. I figure they have a good chance at being the number 1 overall defense in 2012 like they were in 2009.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4473370]Nice article. With the signing of Bell I now believe (assuming Landry can stay healthy) the Jets is officially fixed and no longer are there any problem areas for our defense. Being top ten the last 3 seasons means there wasn't much that needed to be fixed anyway. But the Safety did look awfully bare last season.

I would expect the Jets defense to climb the statistical rankings this season. I figure they have a good chance at being the number 1 overall defense in 2012 like they were in 2009.[/QUOTE]

FS is still pretty thin and the LB's are still a bit of a question mark outside of harris

I still don't see who is our FS cover guy on the roster. Bell, Landry & Smith are all SS and our problem is getting burned in the middle of the field.

The Defense still needs to add an elite edge rusher

All League
    The 4-6 is NOT the answer Jet fans think it can be. You have to remember ALL of your history, and you guys are only remembering the Superbowl Bears part of it. That was an AWESOME defense and perhaps the most dominant team in NFL history because of it.. The Bears' 4-6 was new that year and clearly teams had no clue how to deal with it.

But the whole history is that opposing offensive teams eventually DID catch up and just 2 years later the "most dominating team in NFL history", was out of the playoffs and they remained also rans for most of the next decade.

Also remember that Buddy took his schemes to 2 cities as a HC, and never came close to duplicating he previous success in Chicago. IIRC he only made the playoffs twice in those 2 HCing stints, and never won a playoff game.

That's the beauty of the NFL. Teams tend to catch up to trends. It didn;t tale too long before defenses caught up with the :"wildcat". Now teams are all rushing to duplicate the Pats 2 TE success. BUT I have no doubt that within a few years defenses will evolve methods to limit its success. Its the nature of the game

Maybe the fact that it has been by and large abandoned for over a decade or two, it may surprise a few teams early on. IIRC only Jeff Fisher with the Titans still used aspects of the 4-6 with some of his good Titan teams early in the 2000's. But the blueprint on how to defeat the 4-6 defense is out there, and everyone knows it.

JMHO, but Ryan has been pretty successful the last few years using the system he learned with the Ravens (Marvin Lewis' system, which he ripped off from the Steelers, which is very simply a 1 gap 3-4 which highlights overloads and zone blitzing techniques) I don't see why he'd want to abandon what's been good for him, for his dad's system which has pretty much come....and gone.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4473420]The 4-6 is NOT the answer Jet fans think it can be. You have to remember ALL of your history, and you guys are only remembering the Superbowl Bears part of it. That was an AWESOME defense and perhaps the most dominant team in NFL history because of it.. The Bears' 4-6 was new that year and clearly teams had no clue how to deal with it.

But the whole history is that opposing offensive teams eventually DID catch up and just 2 years later the "most dominating team in NFL history", was out of the playoffs and they remained also rans for most of the next decade.

Also remember that Buddy took his schemes to 2 cities as a HC, and never came close to duplicating he previous success in Chicago. IIRC he only made the playoffs twice in those 2 HCing stints, and never won a playoff game.

That's the beauty of the NFL. Teams tend to catch up to trends. It didn;t tale too long before defenses caught up with the :"wildcat". Now teams are all rushing to duplicate the Pats 2 TE success. BUT I have no doubt that within a few years defenses will evolve methods to limit its success. Its the nature of the game

Maybe the fact that it has been by and large abandoned for over a decade or two, it may surprise a few teams early on. IIRC only Jeff Fisher with the Titans still used aspects of the 4-6 with some of his good Titan teams early in the 2000's. But the blueprint on how to defeat the 4-6 defense is out there, and everyone knows it.

JMHO, but Ryan has been pretty successful the last few years using the system he learned with the Ravens (Marvin Lewis' system, which he ripped off from the Steelers, which is very simply a 1 gap 3-4 which highlights overloads and zone blitzing techniques) I don't see why he'd want to abandon what's been good for him, for his dad's system which has pretty much come....and gone.[/QUOTE]

What you fail to understand this is not the 1980's version of the 4-6, the modern version utilizes more DB's and less linebackers. It is predicated on having good edge rushers.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4473420]The 4-6 is NOT the answer Jet fans think it can be. You have to remember ALL of your history, and you guys are only remembering the Superbowl Bears part of it. That was an AWESOME defense and perhaps the most dominant team in NFL history because of it.. The Bears' 4-6 was new that year and clearly teams had no clue how to deal with it.

JMHO, but Ryan has been pretty successful the last few years using the system he learned with the Ravens (Marvin Lewis' system, which he ripped off from the Steelers, which is very simply a 1 gap 3-4 which highlights overloads and zone blitzing techniques) I don't see why he'd want to abandon what's been good for him, for his dad's system which has pretty much come....and gone.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is creating a new version of the 46 ... To deal with the tight ends ... As the article states.

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;4473414]I still don't see who is our FS cover guy on the roster. Bell, Landry & Smith are all SS and our problem is getting burned in the middle of the field.

The Defense still needs to add an elite edge rusher[/QUOTE]

The idea is that having dominant SSs hitting them at the line, will throw the timing off for the tight ends ... Thus less need for a cover FS.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4473420]

Hate to say it, but, I agree with you.

I would personally like to see Rex go back to that heavy overload style of blitzing 3-4 he ran the 1st year he was head coach, Rex seems to have shyed away from that after Peyton Manning lit us up in the AFC championship game.

With the personnel we have now on the defensive side of the ball I think we could really wreak some havoc and get to opposing QB's almost at will.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-21-2012 at 05:43 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4473453]Hate to say it, but, I agree with you.

I would personally like to see Rex go back to that heavy overload style of blitzing 3-4 he ran the 1st year he was head coach, Rex seems to have shyed away from that after Peyton Manning lit us up in the AFC championship game.

With the personnel we have now on the defensive side of the ball I think we could really wreak some havoc and get to opposing QB's almost at will.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is less of it, but you still see it mixed in. Rex is going to get the most out of his personnel. I look to this being our best year on D under Rex.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4473370]Nice article. With the signing of Bell I now believe (assuming Landry can stay healthy) the Jets is officially fixed and no longer are there any problem areas for our defense. Being top ten the last 3 seasons means there wasn't much that needed to be fixed anyway. But the Safety did look awfully bare last season.

I would expect the Jets defense to climb the statistical rankings this season. I figure they have a good chance at being the number 1 overall defense in 2012 like they were in 2009.[/QUOTE]

Pass me some of that moonshine...

So we shouldn't go with a defense that has worked in the past, but we should go with a defense that has worked in the past?:confused:

[QUOTE=OCCH;4473464]So we shouldn't go with a defense that has worked in the past, but we should go with a defense that has worked in the past?:confused:[/QUOTE]

:D

If you know Rex's style you know the Jets aren't going to be a 46 defense on every play. And if you know Rex's style you know this won't be your typical 46 defense. The man is creative. We're going to see some things we've never seen before. Who knows, maybe Rex is on his way to inventing a new defensive trend. You know, just like the Pats are with their 2 TE attack.

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4473427]The idea is that having dominant SSs hitting them at the line, will throw the timing off for the tight ends ... Thus less need for a cover FS.[/QUOTE]

Bump and run coverage is only effective if you can generate a pass rush. You throw them off of their route for a second but if the QB has 8 seconds to throw the ball then it really means nothing and then you have a SS who can't recover or cover the side of a brick wall.

Whatever version of the 4-6 you need good safties and good edge rushers. So some feel the Jets will go to this D given the fact the Jets don't have either of these. Pass the Kool Aid because this make me feel so good. Can't wait?!?!?:eek:

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4473425]What you fail to understand this is not the 1980's version of the 4-6, the modern version utilizes more DB's and less linebackers. It is predicated on having good edge rushers.[/QUOTE]

Also the corners are better in Man coverage than the Buddy had. The emphasis on using SS's is for speed over LB's.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4473529]Also the corners are better in Man coverage than the Buddy had. The emphasis on using SS's is for speed over LB's.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely that's why the Jets defense is predicated on their great CB's that all excel in man to man defense.

Rex Ryan and the Jets philosophy on offense and defense is predicated on opposing teams spending a lot of time preparing for their multiple offenses and defenses. On offense Tebow just adds to this. Expect to see this when Tebow is on the field, when Tebow lines up the could be n the 21 (two RB and 1 te) as a rb or TE or the 12 (one RB or TE), Tebow will offer the Jets much diversification to keep d-coordinators up late at nights. On defense expect to see the same lots of 3-4, 4,3 and 46.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4473519]Whatever version of the 4-6 you need good safties and good edge rushers. So some feel the Jets will go to this D given the fact the Jets don't have either of these. Pass the Kool Aid because this make me feel so good. Can't wait?!?!?:eek:[/QUOTE]

Aaron Maybin and Quentin Coples will get after the QB. I want to see Allen and Bush in at safety though