Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Story: Bell's addition can solidify 46 defense

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4473599]Absolutely that's why the Jets defense is predicated on their great CB's that all excel in man to man defense.

Rex Ryan and the Jets philosophy on offense and defense is predicated on opposing teams spending a lot of time preparing for their multiple offenses and defenses. On offense Tebow just adds to this. Expect to see this when Tebow is on the field, when Tebow lines up the could be n the 21 (two RB and 1 te) as a rb or TE or the 12 (one RB or TE), Tebow will offer the Jets much diversification to keep d-coordinators up late at nights. On defense expect to see the same lots of 3-4, 4,3 and 46.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here BBJ. Since teams are throwing more these days (Arena League?) you need more speed in the backfield. While having that speed, the need is still there to stop the run.

This D will take teams out of their regular (throwing) offense.

They Giants win because of their pass rush. The Jets will have to win because of their pass coverage

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets D under Ryan was excellent when we had a True FS. Rhodes in 09 and Lowery in the playoffs in 10.

The reality is we don't have to build a D to beat the Pats. They are in our division. If we come in second we have to go through someone else. If we come in first we need to go through someone else. Building a D to match up to the Pats 2 TE set doesn't necessarily give us a D that can beat the Steelers or Baltimore both teams that can beat the Pats.

In an era where the league is protecting skill position players, and the TE's are becoming big WR, a rangy FS is still my prefrence over the SS.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 05-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;4473414]I still don't see who is our FS cover guy on the roster. Bell, Landry & Smith are all SS and our problem is getting burned in the middle of the field.

The Defense still needs to add an elite edge rusher[/QUOTE]

We still need a rangy FS, hopefully one of the 2 rooks can step up and be meaningful contributors in that regard.

I believe with the titans on the DL, Jets can take on multiple blockers along the line and give Mayhem, Davis etc unimpeded shots at the qb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4473509]If you know Rex's style you know the Jets aren't going to be a 46 defense on every play. And if you know Rex's style you know this won't be your typical 46 defense. The man is creative. We're going to see some things we've never seen before. Who knows, maybe Rex is on his way to inventing a new defensive trend. You know, just like the Pats are with their 2 TE attack.[/QUOTE]

LOLOL..... we have a long way to go to become an elite organization that decides to invent things on the field except for humorous press releases.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4473619]I agree with you here BBJ. Since teams are throwing more these days (Arena League?) you need more speed in the backfield. While having that speed, the need is still there to stop the run.

This D will take teams out of their regular (throwing) offense.

They Giants win because of their pass rush. The Jets will have to win because of their pass coverage[/QUOTE]

Coples and Maybin may have something to say about that, as does Wilkerson, Davis, Dixon, Pace and perhaps even Sapp (don't sleep on Dowtin either). I think the Jets pass rush will be vastly improved this year. I know they have to do it on the field but this is the most talent we have had on the defensive line and maybe the most speed at linebacker we have had, since Rex has been here. Add that to our coverage ability and I think the "Sack Exchange" may be making a comeback. :)