Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Heading to see the Jets, need some help

  1. #1
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Heading to see the Jets, need some help

    Hi Guys

    I'm a Jets fan in England, been bleeding green since 1986, and have seen the Jets live once, in Cleveland, in the early nineties. I recently split from my wife, sold my house, and thought, 'sod it, I'm going to a Jets game this year'.

    So, I have a ticket for the Nov 22 game v the patsies, flight is booked, and my hotel is sorted.

    So, what's the best way for me to get to the game? Should I get there a few hours before? What's the best way for me to enjoy the experience? I'm on my own, but am a friendly guy who likes getting to meet new people. My hotel is at 401 7th Avenue.

    What should I do? Suggestions on where to shop for Jets gear, where to eat, where to have some fun all appreciated

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely get there a few hours early so you can tailgate, meet up with a bunch of us.

    A few years ago they finished a rail line into the Meadowlands so you can just grab the train, no muss no fuss

    Hope you enjoy, and of course remind us closer to the actual game.

    There's so much to do in Manhattan, how long is your stay and what are you in to? And what kind of food do you like?

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    Hi Guys

    I'm a Jets fan in England, been bleeding green since 1986, and have seen the Jets live once, in Cleveland, in the early nineties. I recently split from my wife, sold my house, and thought, 'sod it, I'm going to a Jets game this year'.

    So, I have a ticket for the Nov 22 game v the patsies, flight is booked, and my hotel is sorted.

    So, what's the best way for me to get to the game? Should I get there a few hours before? What's the best way for me to enjoy the experience? I'm on my own, but am a friendly guy who likes getting to meet new people. My hotel is at 401 7th Avenue.

    What should I do? Suggestions on where to shop for Jets gear, where to eat, where to have some fun all appreciated
    For a second, it looked like a Craiglist ad...

    enjoy!

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    Hi Guys

    I'm a Jets fan in England, been bleeding green since 1986, and have seen the Jets live once, in Cleveland, in the early nineties. I recently split from my wife, sold my house, and thought, 'sod it, I'm going to a Jets game this year'.

    So, I have a ticket for the Nov 22 game v the patsies, flight is booked, and my hotel is sorted.

    So, what's the best way for me to get to the game? Should I get there a few hours before? What's the best way for me to enjoy the experience? I'm on my own, but am a friendly guy who likes getting to meet new people. My hotel is at 401 7th Avenue.

    What should I do? Suggestions on where to shop for Jets gear, where to eat, where to have some fun all appreciated
    First off, congrats on the trip and coming to the US to see the team.

    The specific game you've chosen has some challenges, mainly that it's the national Thanksgiving holiday and almost every restaurant will be closed and almost every fan will be arriving to the game after he's spent the day entertaining with family. Renting a car might be a challenge, public transportation very crowded. Many of us are unhappy about hosting the Thanksgiving game for these reasons, especially the Patriots contest. This is a Jets home game, but it's on a Thursday night and it'll feel very different than the usual Sunday game at 1pm.

    Not sure what day you're getting into town, but if you're here the day before (Wednesday) you'll be able to get your Jets shopping done quietly- the day after Thanksgiving (Friday) is a difficult day to be in the city because there is a mad frenzy of Christmas shopping that causes huge lines at the major stores, lots of traffic too.

    Call your hotel, ask a lot of questions. We're here to help.

    SAR I

  5. #5
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    Hi Guys

    I'm a Jets fan in England, been bleeding green since 1986, and have seen the Jets live once, in Cleveland, in the early nineties. I recently split from my wife, sold my house, and thought, 'sod it, I'm going to a Jets game this year'.

    So, I have a ticket for the Nov 22 game v the patsies, flight is booked, and my hotel is sorted.

    So, what's the best way for me to get to the game? Should I get there a few hours before? What's the best way for me to enjoy the experience? I'm on my own, but am a friendly guy who likes getting to meet new people. My hotel is at 401 7th Avenue.
    What should I do? Suggestions on where to shop for Jets gear, where to eat,
    where to have some fun all appreciated
    Hi I'm also a UK based Jets fan. I went to see the Jets V San Diego last season. We stayed on 42nd street. I got the bus from the main depot they ran a game day $10 return. You have to tail gate, I'd recommend tail gate Joes.
    Check his web site, all you can eat and drink BBQ. I hit there a couple of hours before the kick off was penty time. Jets gear well Jets store on 50th. Although I found Modells sports store which is ubiquitous in the city to be great.
    Even Macey's had a reasonable selection of gear. Have fun I had a great time.

  6. #6
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers all, I'll remind again closer to the game. I know it's thanksgiving, but I really wanted to come to an important game, I figured the Pats was a good bet.Would be good to meet some of you guys before the game, my new customised jersey arrived today as well, I wish the game was tomorrow!

  7. #7
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Definitely get there a few hours early so you can tailgate, meet up with a bunch of us.

    A few years ago they finished a rail line into the Meadowlands so you can just grab the train, no muss no fuss

    Hope you enjoy, and of course remind us closer to the actual game.

    There's so much to do in Manhattan, how long is your stay and what are you in to? And what kind of food do you like?
    I've been to Manhattan before and done all the tourist stuff, this is a football centred trip. I'd like to try some US places for food, Burgers, BBQ, that kind of stuff

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    I've been to Manhattan before and done all the tourist stuff, this is a football centred trip. I'd like to try some US places for food, Burgers, BBQ, that kind of stuff
    Haven't been back to my home of NYC since last fall. You now have me starving for some good ole greasy bar food. Oh well, instead I am going to the gym. crap. I haven't lived in NY in over 10 years so I will have to dust off my black book of delicious grub spots and get back to you. I am sure many others on this board will have excellent selections.

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    Cheers all, I'll remind again closer to the game. I know it's thanksgiving, but I really wanted to come to an important game, I figured the Pats was a good bet.Would be good to meet some of you guys before the game, my new customised jersey arrived today as well, I wish the game was tomorrow!
    ....on that note, of wishing the game would come sooner, have you considered switching to the home opener vs. the Bills instead?

    If it's too late, forget it, but the atmosphere for the 13:00 Bills game in September will be very different, probably a better experience for you overall if you can swing it. I understand the draw of the Patriots, but a night game in November on a holiday Thursday just won't be as intense as opening Sunday.

    SAR I

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    ....on that note, of wishing the game would come sooner, have you considered switching to the home opener vs. the Bills instead?

    If it's too late, forget it, but the atmosphere for the 13:00 Bills game in September will be very different, probably a better experience for you overall if you can swing it. I understand the draw of the Patriots, but a night game in November on a holiday Thursday just won't be as intense as opening Sunday.

    SAR I
    Def consider another game if you want to tailgate and such. a lot will be late arrivals for the Thanksgiving night game, myself included and I am usually there when the gates open.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Duffyme picked a great game, in my opinion, and the holiday buzz in NYC is awesome.

    The only other game to consider is probably Miami, but Jets at home versus NE for their second matchup is huge, especially late in the season.

    Could be our "SB" and definitely no comparison to an average Thursday nighter.

    Of course, if the weather is fuct all bets are off.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    my family and friends are thinking Thanksgiving at the Meadowlands. I know most have traditional T-giving with their families every year, but mine is definitely fired up for a change of pace holiday this year. And it's the Pats! Plus jetrider is correct, NYC during this time of year is pretty unique and awesome. A black Friday up close and personal! ha!

    It'll be alright jets fans. 1 home Thanksgiving game every couple decades is OK. Imagine being a Cowboys or Lions season ticket holder? Every year! Especially for the Cowboys with that late afternoon start.

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    my family and friends are thinking Thanksgiving at the Meadowlands. I know most have traditional T-giving with their families every year, but mine is definitely fired up for a change of pace holiday this year. And it's the Pats! Plus jetrider is correct, NYC during this time of year is pretty unique and awesome. A black Friday up close and personal! ha!

    It'll be alright jets fans. 1 home Thanksgiving game every couple decades is OK. Imagine being a Cowboys or Lions season ticket holder? Every year! Especially for the Cowboys with that late afternoon start.
    The difference is that there is no other city in the United States that has as much traffic as New York, and where the Meadowlands is located the ability to get there intersects and impacts every bridge and tunnel and highway to anyone getting to/from New Jersey.

    Forget Jets fans- think about the typical family around 5pm trying to get to grandma's house for dinner. Slammed in Jets traffic in Jersey, through Manhattan, and on Long Island. I've got a 20 minute drive without any bridges or tunnels involved and I might not even go, it's going to be that bad.

    SAR I

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    Hi Guys

    I'm a Jets fan in England, been bleeding green since 1986, and have seen the Jets live once, in Cleveland, in the early nineties. I recently split from my wife, sold my house, and thought, 'sod it, I'm going to a Jets game this year'.

    So, I have a ticket for the Nov 22 game v the patsies, flight is booked, and my hotel is sorted.

    So, what's the best way for me to get to the game? Should I get there a few hours before? What's the best way for me to enjoy the experience? I'm on my own, but am a friendly guy who likes getting to meet new people. My hotel is at 401 7th Avenue.

    What should I do? Suggestions on where to shop for Jets gear, where to eat, where to have some fun all appreciated
    First thing to do, make sure your hotel is not the Hotel Pennsylvania. If it is, change it. There are plenty of hotels in the same price range which aren't as big a sh!t hole as that place.

    For whatever reason, that place is frequented by foreigners - they must have some arrangement with travel companies or the like. I have never heard one good thing about it and have heard everyone complain vocally about it.

  15. #15
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The difference is that there is no other city in the United States that has as much traffic as New York, and where the Meadowlands is located the ability to get there intersects and impacts every bridge and tunnel and highway to anyone getting to/from New Jersey.

    Forget Jets fans- think about the typical family around 5pm trying to get to grandma's house for dinner. Slammed in Jets traffic in Jersey, through Manhattan, and on Long Island. I've got a 20 minute drive without any bridges or tunnels involved and I might not even go, it's going to be that bad.

    SAR I
    Actually, the traffic on Thanksgiving Day/Night isn't all that bad compared to the traffic on Thanksgiving Sunday. A 4pm game on the Sunday after Thanksgiving could subject you to the worst possible traffic you've ever seen. I've done a fair amount of traveling on T-Day itself and its not so terrible. Especially at 6pm or so going to the Stadium. Most everyone is at their destination already. And you don't really need to worry about leaving the stadium at 11:30, its no different than any other night game.

    And, assuming BamaJet is from AL and is staying in NYC for the holiday, you can take the train and not have to deal with the traffic.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Actually, the traffic on Thanksgiving Day/Night isn't all that bad compared to the traffic on Thanksgiving Sunday. A 4pm game on the Sunday after Thanksgiving could subject you to the worst possible traffic you've ever seen. I've done a fair amount of traveling on T-Day itself and its not so terrible. Especially at 6pm or so going to the Stadium. Most everyone is at their destination already. And you don't really need to worry about leaving the stadium at 11:30, its no different than any other night game.

    And, assuming BamaJet is from AL and is staying in NYC for the holiday, you can take the train and not have to deal with the traffic.
    Actually from NY, fam has had tix since Day 1, but I did move to AL about 10 years ago. I'm hoping to be in town for that game. I used to live in NYC and get the bus from Penn Station, but that train does look convenient. That's what my brothers do. I agree that travelling on T-giving itself will be much smoother than Sunday in the metro area!

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    First thing to do, make sure your hotel is not the Hotel Pennsylvania. If it is, change it. There are plenty of hotels in the same price range which aren't as big a sh!t hole as that place.

    For whatever reason, that place is frequented by foreigners - they must have some arrangement with travel companies or the like. I have never heard one good thing about it and have heard everyone complain vocally about it.
    Follow this advice! HAd a friend from Ireland who stayed there and said it was a horrible dump.

    Oh, and now that you've split from the spouse, it would be a good time to post some racy pics here for us to judge her.

    thanks.

  18. #18
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    First thing to do, make sure your hotel is not the Hotel Pennsylvania. If it is, change it. There are plenty of hotels in the same price range which aren't as big a sh!t hole as that place.

    For whatever reason, that place is frequented by foreigners - they must have some arrangement with travel companies or the like. I have never heard one good thing about it and have heard everyone complain vocally about it.
    Oh crap, it is the Pennsylvania. I'll get on to changing that.

  19. #19
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, hotel cancelled. Any recommendations from people as to where I should stay?

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyma View Post
    OK, hotel cancelled. Any recommendations from people as to where I should stay?
    budget?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us