Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Laron Landry missed first ota

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4474773][I]tanny says he [U]should be[/U] ready for regular season [U]but will be a challenge[/U][/I]
    [I][/I]
    Please excuse me if I'm reading too much into that statement.

Based on history, that's Tannyspeak for "I really have no idea" or "It's not very likely."

I hate to rain on the Koolaide parade but some of us have 42 years of reasons to be skeptical.[/QUOTE]

I don't like it either, it's a pretty big risk of 1.7mm. But if I remember Landry had offers from a few teams, I imagine the jets had to up their ante and step a little out of their comfort zone to get him. Let's hope he is ready to go

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4474738]The bottom line is, it was a misguided signing.

Why guarantee a guy $1.65M or so when you obviously didn't know if and when he could play?

To now say as a GM that you're not sure if he will be ready to go by opening day...

Assinine.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. We do not have all the info that Mr. T and Rex have at their finger tips. It's easy to label their decisions as bad or misguided before the season has even begun. But they are in positions of responsibility and I have faith in them. They are human and can make a mistake but they pay for their mistakes with job losses. All fans can do is eat crow when they are wrong.

---
    I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lwonsu[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4474768]Guaranteeing a guy $1.65M and not knowing for sure that he will even be able to suit up for Game 1 isn't assinine (yes, and I spelled it that way for a reason)?

I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

And when did Edwards get hurt last year? Was it before the season started?[/QUOTE]

Considering there was talk that the Jets feared his bad knee was much worse than was let on and he ultimately missed much of the season with a bad knee, I'd say yes, before the season.

But who cares, at this point he still hasn't played a game since his injury and you've been crying for the jets to sign him.

You make it sound like he was given 16.5 mil, not 1.65 mil. Which is peanuts. What is this the 1980's where you're scared of a 1.65 mil contract and don't appreciate that the rest of the contract is based on playing time.

Learn the game already and stop crying over every friggen move.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-22-2012 at 11:21 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4475086][B]Considering there was talk that the Jets feared his bad knee was much worse than was let on and he ultimately missed much of the season with a bad knee, I'd say yes, before the season.[/B]

But who cares, at this point he still hasn't played a game since his injury and you've been crying for the jets to sign him.

You make it sound like he was given 16.5 mil, not 1.65 mil. Which is peanuts. What is this the 1980's where you're scared of a 1.65 mil contract and don't appreciate that the rest of the contract is based on playing time.

[B]Learn the game[/B] already and stop crying over every friggen move.[/QUOTE]

Considering you're the guy who adamantly claimed that Edwards had NO support from his teammates after his DUI when an article I posted showed otherwise, I don't necessarily take your "assertions" as fact. Please excuse me if I don't. I know you would like all of us to give you "message board notice" and all, but that ain't gonna happen.

So now what do I need to learn about the game? Because the numbers aren't scary enough? I'm very aware of the contract terms. I don't like the signing and the guarantees to a guy who has apparently evolved into a player who has now cast doubt as to whether he will even be ready for opening day, much less worrying about how many games he will last on his bad achilles. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, you don't give signing bonuses to players unless they are healthy enough to play or you feel that they will at least be ready to go by the start of training camp.

As for Edwards, I still don't understand how the Jets were aware of his knee injury almost 2 months [U]before[/U] he hurt it in the 2nd game of the 2011 season?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4474335]We don't know the details dude, for all we know he spoke to Rex and wanted to continue to rehab at his home and he got the team's blessing. If that's not what happened, you're still overreacting. These are voluntary.

And if you have evidence that Landry's been a problem in the lockerroom, please post the articles, because I have not heard that.[/QUOTE]

Where is Homles? "He is supporting the military in Europe:
    Where is Cromartie? "Family issues" (one wife did fake a suicide)

Nice straightforward explanations.

Where is Landry?
    I heard family issues
    Don't know when he'll be physically ok
    Uh well these things are voluntary

Maybe you don't equate a disapearing act with arrogance and a me first attitude like I do, but aren't you at least getting the feeling they don't have a real explanation and he just didn't show up?

[URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_s_laron_landry_absent_fro.html"]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...bsent_fro.html[/URL]

Another OTA workout has gone by without the presence of newly-acquired safety LaRon Landry and [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/laron_landry_absent_for_start.html"]while he hasn't had a significant presence at the team's facility[/URL] his teammates and coaches don't seem to be overly concerned.
    "I don't think so, the report we got is that he has family issues and that was that," Darrelle Revis said. "I didn't get any other insight on it and I haven't talked to him. But I heard it was family issues and once he gets back then he'll be on board for us."
    When asked, Rex Ryan talked about [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/03/new_jets_safety_laron_landry_s.html"]Landry's season-ending injury last year[/URL] and alluded to his absence being a medical issue: "The thing about LaRon is obviously he had a significant injury but we're excited to get him up to speed hopefully by training camp he's ready to go," he said. "I'm not sure medically when he'll be cleared but certainly he has the physical attributes you look for."
    He then added that OTAs are voluntary, when pressed on whether Landry's injury was the main factor in his absence.
    "These are voluntary type things," Ryan said. "I think we're so used to (good participation), we've probably had as many guys in our program this year and the first two as anybody in the league but it is a voluntary thing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4477353]

Where is Landry?
    I heard family issues
    Don't know when he'll be physically ok
    Uh well these things are voluntary

[/QUOTE]
    I agree. I have extreme doubts that his absence is due to "family issues."

I guess that sounds better than "no comment" or "I'm not at liberty to discuss that."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact is that these OTA's are VOLUNTARY, and players don't have to show, OR give any reason why they didn't show. Brian Waters has never shown for a "voluntary" OTA in any of his 15 years....and he didn't show for this one either.

HOWEVER given that he is coming to a new team and all, you would think that Landry would show up, if only for the team meetings and a show of support to his new team. Given his injury situation, I doubt anyone thought he would be ready to get on the field now. The Pats has several people who didn't get on the field for the Pats OTA's but showed for the meetings

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4477400][B]HOWEVER given that he is coming to a new team and all, you would think that Landry would show up, if only for the team meetings and a show of support to his new team[/B]. [/QUOTE]
    This is the part that bothers me.

Unless there's some extraordinary rehab facility that he HAS to be at to get his achilles better and it's too far away from the Jets facility, I believe he should be there. That's my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of prima donna's unless they are superstars who are the best of the best on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry is essentially another high-round draft pick.

:ontome:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This dude just needs to chill with bodybuilding and stick with football. Or maybe the other way around...

[IMG]http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/dc-sports-bog/StandingArt/landrygiant0212.jpg?uuid=yzo4gF5BEeGaOCcdGz7-jw[/IMG]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4477414]This is the part that bothers me.

Unless there's some extraordinary rehab facility that he HAS to be at to get his achilles better and it's too far away from the Jets facility, I believe he should be there. That's my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of prima donna's unless they are superstars who are the best of the best on the field.[/QUOTE]

There are extraordinary sports medicine and rehab facilities here in the Phoenix area. Laron stopped by the restaurant I manage last Sunday night but I was off so I missed him. I'll be sure to ask about his rehab if I see him before he heads east.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AzJetFan;4478731]There are extraordinary sports medicine and rehab facilities here in the Phoenix area. Laron stopped by the restaurant I manage last Sunday night but I was off so I missed him. I'll be sure to ask about his rehab if I see him before he heads east.[/QUOTE]

Thank You.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4477414]This is the part that bothers me.

I'm not a big fan of prima donna's unless they are superstars who are the best of the best on the field.[/QUOTE]

Id take it a step further and say the signing was a complete failure. Landry has shown a few flashes of brilliance, but at many times has looked lost in pass coverage. When u throw in his injury record, i think the salary could have been used in different areas of the team. Namely O-line and RB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    May 27

two full months plus until the first session of summer training camp

"prima donna" "complete failure"

the tribe has spoken

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Landry signing for the simple fact that the guy is arguably one of the Top 5 safeties in the game when healthy. Aside from Polamalu, he might be the best box safety out there.

The question is, is he going to make it through 6 games or 16+ games?

Either way, it was a nice signing given that it was a 1 year deal.

He either stays healthy and we look into re-signing him, or we let him walk at seasons end and maybe pick up a comp pick in the process.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AzJetFan;4478731]There are extraordinary sports medicine and rehab facilities here in the Phoenix area. Laron stopped by the restaurant I manage last Sunday night but I was off so I missed him. I'll be sure to ask about his rehab if I see him before he heads east.[/QUOTE]

Inside information.....only available at your local AZ restaurant. Be sure not to leak anything confidential.:rolleyes::D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4478757]May 27

two full months plus until the first session of summer training camp

"prima donna" "complete failure"

the tribe has spoken[/QUOTE]

Some in the tribe say this, yet what were the options.

Because if they didn't sign a safety they would be complaining that we didn't address the position and were stuck with Smith, or Leonhard or both.

This board is full of whine.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the SOJF tribe

immediate decisions made on the spot

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4478780]Some in the tribe say this, yet what were the options.

Because if they didn't sign a safety they would be complaining that we didn't address the position and were stuck with Smith, or Leonhard or both.

This board is full of whine.[/QUOTE]
    You're right. Better to sign Landry, who may not even be ready for the regular season, than to wait and sign someone who can play.

I'm all for addressing the safety issue. But address it with a viable option. Not a hope and a prayer. Because that's what it is at this point with Landry.

Let's say the season starts. Landry can play. He gets hurt, because he's suceptible to getting hurt. No surprise. In fact, expected. Then what? Then you're screwed. That's what.

[QUOTE=sg3;4478784]the SOJF tribe

immediate decisions made on the spot[/QUOTE]
    Are you active more than you're banned?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Jwp07QElyvk/TH174CiUgKI/AAAAAAAAAOw/1O5O5zxBJrc/s1600/2010.8.31+DeadHorse.png[/img]