Thread: Owners vote thigh, knee pads mandatory in 2013; other things

Owners vote thigh, knee pads mandatory in 2013; other things

Associated Press story:

ATLANTA -- The NFL has made thigh and knee pads mandatory equipment for the 2013 season, something the players' union could oppose because the move was not collectively bargained.

Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, chairman of the competition committee, says Tuesday at an owners meeting that because this is a playing rule, the league can implement it unilaterally.

The owners also voted to move the trading deadline from after Week 6 to after Week 8, and to allow one "marquee" player placed on injured reserve to return to practice after the sixth game and to the lineup after the eighth game. That player must be on the 53-man roster after the final preseason cut.

The pads rule won't go into effect until 2013 so equipment manufacturers can work on safety and comfort.

going old school with the pads.

All League
    Note to owners: Thighs and knees don't get concussions.

Mandate a mouthguard rule.

All League
    [QUOTE=NYJCAP2;4474731]Note to owners: Thighs and knees don't get concussions.

Mandate a mouthguard rule.[/QUOTE]

===========================================

Mouth pieces are mandated, good point on the pads though.

it'll be just like high school

Add in the horseshoe neckroll and it will feel like the 80s again

Jets Insider VIP
    Knee pads?

We need ANOTHER new rule for Tom Brady's benefit? :rolleyes:

I like the notion of requiring a degree of protection. matter of fact, I would not oppose use of knee braces for interior lineman...

Concussions is another story.. but have to say that form tackling and technique play a role..

All League
    [QUOTE=NYJCAP2;4474731]Note to owners: Thighs and knees don't get concussions.

Mandate a mouthguard rule.[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding that players stopped wearing knee, thigh, and hip pads so that they can run faster.

If making them wear more restrictive clothing slows them down a little, it might help a little. Not much, but you never know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4474754]Knee pads?

We need ANOTHER new rule for Tom Brady's benefit? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

:rotfl: nice one

I'd like to see the NFL require players to snap all 4 of their helmet chinstraps. It seems like every game at least one player loses his helmet during play. And the action doesn't stop when that happens. Talk about a dangerous situation.

Why can't they make a rule that every player has to wear the helmets that protect the best against concussions? I know the players think they look goofy, but if everybody has to wear them, who cares.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4474870]Why can't they make a rule that every player has to wear the helmets that protect the best against concussions? I know the players think they look goofy, but if everybody has to wear them, who cares.[/QUOTE]

Was it Tasker or Kelso that wore that huge, hideous Kazoo-looking thing for Buffalo? I'd rather get wheeled around in a wheelchair before I wore one of those.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4474840]It is my understanding that players stopped wearing knee, thigh, and hip pads so that they can run faster.

If making them wear more restrictive clothing slows them down a little, it might help a little. Not much, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

+1. My thoughts exactly

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4474754]Knee pads?

We need ANOTHER new rule for Tom Brady's benefit? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

he is the HEAD quarterback no?????

[QUOTE=FreemanMC;4474884]Was it Tasker or Kelso that wore that huge, hideous Kazoo-looking thing for Buffalo? I'd rather get wheeled around in a wheelchair before I wore one of those.[/QUOTE]

They have better looking ones now.