Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Quinton Coples be better than Shaun Ellis?

I would hope that hes better than Ellis.

QC is an absolute beast. Rex has an eye for defensive talent. I am convinced that the Jets D will be top 3 this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]But Adam Schien said that if he ends up like Ellis its not enough...[/QUOTE]

Schien is absolutely right. Another sean ellis would be a huge disappointment. We need an Elite pass rusher. If we are moving to the 4-3, then coples needs to be that guy.

[QUOTE=Woody56;4474993]Shaun Ellis was never an elite pass rusher, but he was elite in that aspect for 3-4 DE's. Coples is a homerun if he can produce like Ellis did.[/QUOTE]

This.

I can't believe that people don't recognize how good Ellis was, and for how long.

[QUOTE=J.D.;4475037]QC is an absolute beast. Rex has an eye for defensive talent. I am convinced that the Jets D will be top 3 this year.[/QUOTE]

Then why did Rex allow cutting Maybin?

That said I like the promise of this years D to be better than the 2009 D. A lot better!

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=jeT.MAC;4474895]Jets could have a BEAST on their DL.:D :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan i hope

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Pavilion;4474898]I think if he plays close to his potential then absolutely but Ellis was the definition of consistency.

But yes I think Coples will be much better than Ellis simply because he's faster, stronger, bigger, and more of a threat than Ellis... So long as he puts it all together[/QUOTE]

AGREED!

---
    I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?am5lnz[/url]

[QUOTE=ucrenegade;4474907]I hope he will be..............ellis was very consistent but besides a few pats games was not too dominant............

Imagine the bookends we could have had if abraham did not want to be such a diva......[/QUOTE]

i guess you missed a few years of ellis's career.

he was consistent and the best player on our dline for years.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4474989]What about N'Dumakong Suh?[/QUOTE]

Or suh would be fine

I think wilkerson is more reminiscent of shaun ellis, I think coples if lives up to his potential could be a julius peppers/JPP type of pass rusher

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=cant wait;4475108]I think wilkerson is more reminiscent of shaun ellis, I think coples if lives up to his potential could be a julius peppers/JPP type of pass rusher[/QUOTE]

Good comparisons on both players, I agree

[QUOTE=cant wait;4475108]I think wilkerson is more reminiscent of shaun ellis, I think coples if lives up to his potential could be a julius peppers/JPP type of pass rusher[/QUOTE]
    Good point. Wilkerson has the potential to be even stronger than Ellis and is already a significantly bigger man. Both these titans can bat down a fair number of passes at the line of scrimmage. If Coples could equal Peppers or JPP that would be fantastic.

depending on his work ethic and passion for the game, he could be either the next julius peppers or the next jamaal anderson. perennial pro bowler or a colossal bust.

Hall Of Fame
    Ellis was an [B]11 year player for us.[/B] One of the best 1st round picks the organization has ever made. Was able to play well in both the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. He did whatever the coaches asked of him.

Can Coples be better? Yes. He has the potential.

Will he be? That is entirely up to him. But setting the bar for him to be an 11 year player is pretty high expectations.

BTW, I agree with those of you who think Wilk is more like Ellis than Coples.

Initial reaction is "no." S Ellis was a warrior and a survivor. Lasted through numerous HCs and positions. Never complained and appeared to be a gentleman and a pro.

While Coples appears to have more athleticism, his work ethic and attitude have been questioned.

If Coples can be as hard working and team oriented as Ellis was over a 10 year career then we are looking at a player who will most likely be beter than Ellis.

Stay tuned.....

Hall Of Fame
    This thread is premature given the fact that Coples has played ZERO downs in the NFL. It is equivalent to saying that you hope you are going to have a big d1ck when you grow up to be a man. Who doesn't want that?

Personally I hope that every single one of our draft picks AND our UDFAs turn into world beaters. I have that same aspiration every year.

Ellis is no longer with the Jets, therefore, by definition he is a piece of garbage and always was.
    By contrast, Coples looks like the best defensive lineman to ever play the game. Pick a name,any name, even HOFers - he's better. Faster, stronger, quicker, smarter.
    I understand the folks at Canton have already sent out feelers to discuss early induction. He's just that good.
    I remember hearing the same nonsense about Gholston AND Sanchez. Can anyone actually perform other than Revis, Mangold and Brick? Really? Who?

Here's HOPING. That's alll it is. And to quote a great coach: "Potential. That means you haven't done sh*t yet".

Coples bigger than Ellis?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4475029]I would hope that hes better than Ellis.[/QUOTE]

+1

Pretty much my reaction. Ellis was a good long time Jet, went to the Pro Bowl a couple of times, and was a generally good player. That said, he was no difference maker.

Presumably, we're all hoping Coples is a game changing beast.

[QUOTE=Austin;4475434]+1

[B]Pretty much my reaction. Ellis was a good long time Jet, went to the Pro Bowl a couple of times, and was a generally good player. That said, he was no difference maker[/B].

Presumably, we're all hoping Coples is a game changing beast.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Diehards will know the level of consistency that Ellis brought to the table, but to the more casual fan he will be remembered mostly for Miracle and the Meadowlands Part 2 and a couple of great games against the Pats.

Would be nice if a few years down the road the name Coples was synonymous with sacking the QB.