Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jets starting front four defense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4475016]tell em grammar queen![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4475018]almost had it right ...Coples will be in the inside and Mo outside ... they'll mix it up but this will be the base line up. Messed up the grammar on purpose for the grammar queen![/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://emotibot.net/pix/4799.jpg[/IMG]

Glad you're back. Really.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    in passing situations I'd like to see:
    pace
    wilk
    coples
    dixon

you could rush 4 with maybin lining up off the edge too, I don't really see pouha/devito getting a pass rush at DT in a 4-3

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. That 4-3 package could be deadly if the consituent parts are firing on all cylinders. Geez Mayhem, Sapp tearing off the edge and even Davis shooting the gaps would be devastating. Even a corner or safety blitz becomes viable.

Rex's defensive myriads could be rocking the house in 2012.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4475018]almost had it right ...Coples will be in the inside and Mo outside ... they'll mix it up but this will be the base line up. Messed up the grammar on purpose for the grammar queen![/QUOTE]

No way. Wilkerson spent his career in college playing DT and thats what he would be in a 4-3, while Coples spent a lot of his college career as a DE. Coples would only play DT on a 4 man pass rush package like

DE Pace
    DT Wilkerson
    DT Coples
    DE Maybin

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4474965]Coples best year in college was when he played inside[/QUOTE]

Coples is going to be moving all over the line, he is big & versatile enough that he won't have any set position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4475129]Coples is going to be moving all over the line, he is big & versatile enough that he won't have any set position.[/QUOTE]

Granted but still his best production to date has been inside playing against the guard

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigJet85;4475053]They will be thats the funny thing.[/QUOTE]

That said a lot now unless you are smoking something in which case you should share:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;4475126]No way. Wilkerson spent his career in college playing DT and thats what he would be in a 4-3, while Coples spent a lot of his college career as a DE. Coples would only play DT on a 4 man pass rush package like

DE Pace
    DT Wilkerson
    DT Coples
    DE Maybin[/QUOTE]

That's how I see it too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;4475126]No way. Wilkerson spent his career in college playing DT and thats what he would be in a 4-3, while Coples spent a lot of his college career as a DE. Coples would only play DT on a 4 man pass rush package like

DE Pace
    DT Wilkerson
    DT Coples
    DE Maybin[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

And that is a pretty badass front four on passing downs, well at least way better than any front four we could have posed in the last three seasons. I think it has a great deal of athleticism coupled with a nice blend of speed, quickness, and power.

Surely Pace would be LDE and Maybin RDE, but who would be LDT -- Wilkerson or Coples?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devito won't ever be on the edge. He's a DT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Coples is inside on 4 man fronts, then Maybin/Pace/Thomas etc. will be the DEs... No way Wilkerson is lined up as a 5 technique in pass rushing situations.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=endgameeugenics;4475425]Devito won't ever be on the edge. He's a DT.[/QUOTE]
    That's what he does best - stuff the run. Out on the edge is a waste of his talents and creating a self inflicted problem. Leave him at DT where he flourishes

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4475431]If Coples is inside on 4 man fronts, then Maybin/Pace/Thomas etc. will be the DEs... No way Wilkerson is lined up as a 5 technique in pass rushing situations.[/QUOTE]

Agree, but I don't think anyone lines up in a 5T in four man fronts anyway...at least ones on passing downs since you're not trying to occupy blockers or two gap on the edge. It would likely either be 7T or wide 9, something (like you said) would be better off for Pace or Maybin to do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4474965]Coples best year in college was when he played inside[/QUOTE]

The is what everyone has said, but he wasn't chop liver as a senior when he played DE.. A lot of teams focus on you when you have a level of success like he did in his junior year.

I think they let Wilkerson and Coples take edge and pouha and DeVito (who is versatile) on inside..

theire 4 man fronts will have multiple looks.... I am sure Wilkerson and Coples will have opportunity to rush from inside.. Still have Pace, Maybin as outside Pass rushers..... along w/ nickel and dime packages.

Dixon is another rotational player... Would love to see something from Ellis....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rexipus Rex;4476038]Agree, but I don't think anyone lines up in a 5T in four man fronts anyway...at least ones on passing downs since you're not trying to occupy blockers or two gap on the edge. It would likely either be 7T or wide 9, something (like you said) would be better off for Pace or Maybin to do.[/QUOTE]

Well if there's no TE a 5 pretty much is a 7...

But I agree, it seems that we'll be doing some "wide 9" stuff based on what Rex and co. have been saying.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4476650]Well if there's no TE a 5 pretty much is a 7...

But I agree, it seems that we'll be doing some "wide 9" stuff based on what Rex and co. have been saying.[/QUOTE]

[nitpicking] Not exactly. 5T means you line head up on the lineman. 7T means you're shading on one side of the lineman and in a gap.. [/nitpicking]

Other than that minor detail, we're on the same page. In fact, I did see Mayhem in a little bit of Wide 9 last year