Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics going le ghey

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4475185]This is so stupid, and nothing but a manipulative publicity stunt. Even worse is turning an established character. If its one of the popular heroes, I may stop buying DC (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc).

What effin nonsense.[/QUOTE]

:steamin: Rainbow Lantern!

[B]DC Comics Green Lantern relaunched as gay superhero[/B]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][QUOTE]One of DC Comics oldest heroes is super-coming out.
    The original Green Lantern - a DC Comics mainstay for the past 70 years - will be revealed to be a gay man in next week's issue of "Earth 2."

Alan Scott - formerly a married father of two who first appeared in 1940 - tips readers off to his sexuality early on in the comic when he gives his boyfriend a welcome home kiss.

"He's very much the character he was. He's still the pinnacle of bravery and idealism. He's also gay," "Earth 2" writer James Robinson told The Post.

The Emerald Guardian's sexuality was rebooted along with the rest of his fictional universe as part of DC's "New 52" initiative aimed at rejuvenating their characters.

Robinson said he decided to make the change because making the character young again meant erasing Scott's gay superhero son out of existence.

"The only downside of his being young was we lose his son, Obsidian, who's gay. So I thought, 'Why not make Alan Scott gay?'" Robinson recalled. "That was the seed that started it."

He ran his idea by the bosses at DC, "who signed off on it without hesitation."

Robinson, a British writer who lives in San Francisco with his wife, is no stranger to gay characters - he wrote DC's "Starman" comic in the 1990s, a groundbreaking title that starred a homosexual superhero. He said the only agenda he's pushing is reality.
    "It's a realistic depiction of society," he said. "You have to move with the times."

He said he did hope the character - who's the most powerful member of DC's superteam, the Justice Society - would be an inspiration.
    "He's a type-A personality who doesn't hide in the shadows," Robinson said.

"I hope he's a positive figure. If there's some kind of kid out there who's reading the comic and who's worried about the person he is, maybe it will give him a positive sense of who he is. Or maybe a different kid will read it and decide I don't need to bully some kind of kid in school," Robinson said.
    While a gay wedding in Archie Comics earlier this year and impending same-sex nuptials in a Marvel X-Men comic have recieved a small amount of backlash from angry parents, Robinson said he's not worried about that because "that kind of negativity is stupid and outmoded."
    "We should be preaching love and tolerance," he said.
    "Earth 2" No. 2 goes on sale Wednesday.

The character is different than the more modern Green Lantern, ladies' man Hal Jordan, who stars in his own comics and is a member of an extraterrestrial police force called the Green Lantern Corps. Jordan's also part of DC's Justice League with Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, the Flash and Aquaman.

In the current "New 52" continuity, the Alan Scott Green Lantern and the Justice Society operate in a different universe than the Justice League. Robinson said in the "Earth 2" universe, Scott is the sole Green Lantern, and "the strongest, most important super-powered character" in the world.

Speculation in the comics community about which DC character would be revamped as gay was at a fever pitch in recent weeks, most notably at [URL="http://www.bleedingcool.com/"]www.bleedingcool.com[/URL].
    [/QUOTE]Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/dc_comics_green_lantern_to_be_revealed_Yt2uNktuzmrrWSbkIRIDbO#ixzz1wY3er2Kv[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pandering and indoctrination. Very sad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4481764]:steamin: Rainbow Lantern!

[B]DC Comics Green Lantern relaunched as gay superhero[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Wayne Chrebet is gay now?

Huh.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4481768]Pandering and indoctrination. Very sad.[/QUOTE]

Marketing and Sales is more like it. Very capitalist.

These issues will sell. That is why they exist.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4481877]Marketing and Sales is more like it. Very capitalist.

These issues will sell. That is why they exist.[/QUOTE]

You really think a gay Green Lantern will sell more comics than if he was straight in the same story? Really? Why? Do you know anyone that would buy a comic for this other than to have the first issue because they somehow think it could go up in value?

Do you think young boys are not buying other comics because their characters are straight? I don't see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4481877]Marketing and Sales is more like it. Very capitalist.

These issues will sell. That is why they exist.[/QUOTE]

disagree: gays will buy as a show of support, a few issues at most (if not one only).

long time readers will see it as the sellout it is, and take corrective action. It will be a loser eventually

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4482075]disagree: gays will buy as a show of support, a few issues at most (if not one only).

long time readers will see it as the sellout it is, and take corrective action. It will be a loser eventually[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll see. I think your quite naive tbqh, as to how these kinds of hobby/collectable markets work, and the value of controversy/marketing/mediacoverage, but no worries.

Fact is, "long time readers" will bemon it, and still keep buying (as they always do). But non-readers will buy it in droves compared to any other random GL issue. Same for Marvels loltertiarycharacter gay wedding issue.

Personally, I though DC's stable of Heroes were all gay as gay gets anyway, from Superman to Batman on down. Gay all round. :dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does that mean Ryan Reynolds is going to be an ghey in Green Lantern 2?

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this on WWTDD. Ew.

[IMG]http://cdn.wwtdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/green_lantern_is_gay_now.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4482097]I guess we'll see. I think your quite naive tbqh, as to how these kinds of hobby/collectable markets work, and the value of controversy/marketing/mediacoverage, but no worries.

Fact is, "long time readers" will bemon it, and still keep buying (as they always do). But non-readers will buy it in droves compared to any other random GL issue. Same for Marvels loltertiarycharacter gay wedding issue.

Personally, I though DC's stable of Heroes were all gay as gay gets anyway, from Superman to Batman on down. Gay all round. :dunno:[/QUOTE]

1. Me naive? I beg to differ. A collectable is worth only what a buyer is willing to pay, and this is a niche market. Superman's death would be worth more, but even that is not a goldmine.

2. Long time readers still buying? After an established character with a following is all of a sudden a pole smoker? You underestimate nerd anger.

3. As opposed to Marvel? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4482099]Does that mean Ryan Reynolds is going to be an ghey in Green Lantern 2?

_[/QUOTE]

Not with Blake Lively around. :banana:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He does look a bit flaming.

[IMG]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120601020954-green-lantern-earth-two-issue-2-cover-story-top.jpg[/IMG]

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get what the fuss is all about....Ace and Gary have been around for a while.

[QUOTE=ucrenegade;4475297]Our society is wussifying men it is sad............I went to my step-son's class yesterday for rewards day and they do childrens zumba now supposedly a get fit movement for kids.............it was embarrassing they had these boys and girls dancing to a song called whip it which I think it is pretty much a girls song because the chorus is I whip my hair to it.

That and now they tell kids don't stand up to bullies?

[B]When I was in school if the males wanted to work out they joined sports teams of some sort.[/B]

If someone was bullying you then you said meet me after school behind pudgies on the railroad tracks you whipped each others ass then you became friends...........

Society itself is becoming more and more ghey I feel bad for my grandchildren and even worse for my great grand children someday.[/QUOTE]

Organized sports? Are you mad?
    Last edited by crasherino; 06-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4482110]1. Me naive? I beg to differ. A collectable is worth only what a buyer is willing to pay, and this is a niche market. Superman's death would be worth more, but even that is not a goldmine.[/quote]

Yes, naive.

Controvery + Media Coverage often = Sales Records. The topic, honestly, is usually irrelevant.

[QUOTE]2. Long time readers still buying? After an established character with a following is all of a sudden a pole smoker? You underestimate nerd anger.[/QUOTE]

I assure you, nerd that I am, I know it all too well. I also know it's 99.9% full of ****. Nerds do two things, they talk a bag of **** about something.....they buy/watch/play it anyway, so they can talk more **** about it later.

[quote]3. As opposed to Marvel? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Superman and Batman probably work best is a gay-on-gay Sitcom type storytelling medium tbqh. The gay is strong with Batman especially, gay, bondage and sadomachistity.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4482102]Found this on WWTDD. Ew.

[IMG]http://cdn.wwtdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/green_lantern_is_gay_now.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

So corny lol "let's keep love, let's get out of here"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. Now Batman has another hero to play grabass with besides Robin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not even make it more positive...HIV+ that is

Doiby Dickles is turning over in his grave
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 06-01-2012 at 10:06 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly won't be purchasing any of this rubbish

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4483335]I certainly won't be purchasing any of this rubbish[/QUOTE]

Yeah but now I will.

so it's A wash.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't there multiple Green Lanterns?

Is this really an "established" character, or just a new Green Lantern no one has been introduced to? Sounds like a cop out/publicity stunt using Green Lantern, tbh.

If there's some panels with some cornhole action...sure, I can see the ire, but until then...wtf cares?