Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Sapp ran a 4.61 40 at the combine...

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475319]Actually, the point of the thread never addressed his ability or real good ability. It addressed his potential upside and the fact that he's a "track star." Al Davis drafted and signed a lot of "track stars." It didn't always work. In fact, it usually didn't.

No one knows what Sapp's "abilities" are at this point.

[B]Just because a poster cautions against getting too excited, you feel a need to come in and argue because why?[/B] Because it's not pom pom waving?

:shakehead[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Oh the irony

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JB1089;4475240]I remember disagreeing with you a lot during the regular season. Ever since the offseason started, I feel like I've agreed with most of what you said.

Add this to the list. I hope that people aren't actually expecting something out of Ricky Sapp. There's always a chance that something clicks for a guy and he becomes a good player out of nowhere, but you should never count on that happening. He's been around the league for a while (the average career is only 3 years long) and has barely gotten onto the field. There's a reason for that. And this isn't a Mabyin situation. Maybin was a high first round pick, Sapp was taken in the 5th round.

I don't even expect Sapp to be on the final roster. He could make it, I'm just not expecting it.[/QUOTE]

This guy is one of those guys that every team should have about 5 of on their preseason rosters. Guys that the team likes, but are still real long shots - guys with upside. If 1 of 5 make a real contribution, you are happy. Guys like Devito would be in the category of guys who stepped up from that group. Ditto Brandon Moore. Its one of the reasons that you don't want to trade away your mid to lower draft picks - sometimes its good to have a large quantity of long shots. It makes your odds of finding the diamond in the rough better.

On this current team, guys like Sapp, Mauga, Howard, Caleb S., and perhaps Patrick Turner could be in that category. If one of those guys develops into a consistent contributor for the Jets, I'll be happy. I'd say Aaron Maybin has just about graduated from that group into the "consistent contributor" group. But, I'd like to make sure that he wasn't a one year wonder before I put his name down in indelible ink (in my mind).
    Last edited by crasherino; 05-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4475328]:rolleyes:

Oh the irony[/QUOTE]
    Really? What exactly is ironic about that Ray Ray?

You have a specific reference?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4475290]Save your crap!

It doesn't make sense because it is redundant and obvious, and you didn't state anything new.

My response has nothing to do with seeing every Jets move as positive.

The point of the thread is that Sapp has ability, real good ability and potential, and he could very well factor into the team's plans this year that nobody has really talkeda bout. It's been mentioned in other threads, yet we continue to see posts about how the Jets haven't done this, they haven't addressed OLB, etc etc...

I'm well aware of his experience with the Eagles. The question is, did YOU bother to look up the history? Yes, he was injured, personal issues, etc... Sounds a lot like Maybin, doesn't it? That's worked out pretty well for the Jets. There is a laundry list of players that this same potential applies to.

The bottom line is if the player is now healthy, we are talking about another talent to be factored into the roster competition at the position, and it should be considered somewhat equal to adding a 2nd round pick at the position given his rating and draft profile coming out of Clemson. Ok, he's 25 years old, still a YOUNG player, in the era of a salary cap, teams need to find unconventional ways to add talent.

Sapp should be considered an intriguing prospect with potential, and ONE of the moves the team has made to address the talent and speed on defense, that was the point of the thread. Not to thump your chest about how much of a ****ign know-it-all you are, and how "objective" you can be.[/QUOTE]

I watched Sapp his whole career at Clemson, he got by with his speed. He was very soft and does not play the run well at all. He is a finesse speed guy who was under sized to play DE with the Eagles. I was kind of surprised they drafted him being that they play a 4-3. Sapp has been dealing with his knee injury since his Sr. year in college. He was never a hard worker at Clemson, and many did not like his attitude. I would find it hard to believe he is any where close to running a 4.6 anymore. At best if he stays healthy he could contribute on special teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4475384]I watched Sapp his whole career at Clemson, he got by with his speed. He was very soft and does not play the run well at all. He is a finesse speed guy who was under sized to play DE with the Eagles. I was kind of surprised they drafted him being that they play a 4-3. Sapp has been dealing with his knee injury since his Sr. year in college. He was never a hard worker at Clemson, and many did not like his attitude. I would find it hard to believe he is any where close to running a 4.6 anymore. At best if he stays healthy he could contribute on special teams.[/QUOTE]

But this is based on factual evidence, not speculation.

You are officially off the pom pom squad!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4475398]But this is based on factual evidence, not speculation.

[B]You are officially off the pom pom squad[/B]![/QUOTE]

LOL...I never knew I was on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4475401]LOL...I never knew I was on it.[/QUOTE]
    Oh, well, just in case you were!

I think the board needs to develop icons that can be put next to each poster's name indicating their "category." Maybe like a glass pitcher with green coloring filled to whatever level that poster represents. Now who determines that is up for debate. :D

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475412]Oh, well, just in case you were!

I think the board needs to develop icons that can be put next to each poster's name indicating their "category." Maybe like a glass pitcher with green coloring filled to whatever level that poster represents. Now who determines that is up for debate. :D[/QUOTE]

ray's should just be a pic of niagara falls with green water:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=barkus;4475461]ray's should just be a pic of niagara falls with green water:D[/QUOTE]
    Nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4475114]this is mind you with a bum leg that flared up and kept him sidelined in his rookie year (2010) then we got him in Sept and put him on the PS, so basically we got a young unproven pup with tremendous upside sitting on the bench, we let go Eddie Jones today another guy I liked, but he's nowhere near the athlete Sapp is. I'm excited to see this guy in action this TC and preseason, Sapp along with Maybin may eventually take over outside.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Slikmo...hard to get excited about this guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4475477]Sorry Slikmo...[B]hard to get excited[/B] about this guy.[/QUOTE]
    It's okay. That happens to a lot of guys your age. ;)

[QUOTE=Slikmojet;4475114]this is mind you with a bum leg that flared up and kept him sidelined in his rookie year (2010) then we got him in Sept and put him on the PS, so basically we got a young unproven pup with tremendous upside sitting on the bench, we let go Eddie Jones today another guy I liked, but he's nowhere near the athlete Sapp is. I'm excited to see this guy in action this TC and preseason, Sapp along with Maybin may eventually take over outside.[/QUOTE]

His twitch was only 1.21 and his explosive power only .88 on Waldo's formula. Not numbers that portend good things

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4475478]It's okay. That happens to a lot of guys your age. ;)[/QUOTE]

Rangers better win tonite or Im driving up to kick your a$$!!!;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4475290]
    It doesn't make sense because it is redundant and obvious, and you didn't state anything new.

Sapp should be considered an intriguing prospect with potential, and ONE of the moves the team has made to address the talent and speed on defense, that was the point of the thread. Not to thump your chest about how much of a ****ign know-it-all you are, and how "objective" you can be.[/QUOTE]

1. Are you saying that "obvious" things do not make sense? What world do you live in? It doesn't make sense b.c it is obvious? WTF does that mean? What is your Blood Kool-Aid Content? You are way over the limit.

2. Nobody knows what Sapp is, so how does he "address" the talent and speed on defense? He ran a 4.6 in a straight-line with no pads or football gear on OVER 2 PHUCKING YEARS AGO. What does that mean? It means nothing. Since then he has been hurt and has had a questionable departure from the Eagles.

Like I said in my other post. He is a nice piece to bring into camp. But to expect anything is silly. It is a win-win for the Jets. If he proves himself, that would be amazing. If he doesn't then that is OK too.

You might be the first person here to ever accuse me of trying to be objective. I don't know whether to be happy or mad.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4475493]Rangers better win tonite or Im driving up to kick your a$$!!!;)[/QUOTE]
    I'll be busy beating Potvin's wife!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4475522]1. Are you saying that "obvious" things do not make sense? What world do you live in? It doesn't make sense b.c it is obvious? WTF does that mean? What is your Blood Kool-Aid Content? You are way over the limit.

2. Nobody knows what Sapp is, so how does he "address" the talent and speed on defense? He ran a 4.6 in a straight-line with no pads or football gear on OVER 2 PHUCKING YEARS AGO. What does that mean? It means nothing. Since then he has been hurt and has had a questionable departure from the Eagles.

Like I said in my other post. He is a nice piece to bring into camp. But to expect anything is silly. It is a win-win for the Jets. If he proves himself, that would be amazing. If he doesn't then that is OK too.

You might be the first person here to ever accuse me of trying to be objective. I don't know whether to be happy or mad.[/QUOTE]

What you're not saying is that Ricky Sapp is the bestest.

Ray Ray deludes himself by saying that he doesn't necessarily believe that just because players are Jets, they are the bestest. But, in reality, he truly does and wants to believe that. He wants to believe that Ricky will be the Warren that we didn't get in 1995.

Old news. Ive been using Sapp on Madden 12, they released him, i was sad, then they re-signed him and been using him since....he is stupid fast, Speed rating like 86!!
    Harris, Sapp, Pace, Maybin and Thomas......no toss run plays on my defense.

But seriously....i hope all these new guys step up.
    We have tremendous speed at LB now.
    Pats not winning division this year, not with the punishment the Jets and Bills will hand out to those NFL Darlings!!

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475412]Oh, well, just in case you were!

I think the board needs to develop icons that can be put next to each poster's name indicating their "category." Maybe like a glass pitcher with green coloring filled to whatever level that poster represents. Now who determines that is up for debate. :D[/QUOTE]

this is actually a great idea...users can click each icon to vote what level it should be and the icon can represent an average

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4475554]this is actually a great idea...users can click each icon to vote what level it should be and the icon can represent an average[/QUOTE]
    In theory it sounds good but I'm afraid it would cause too much in-fighting if posters didn't agree with their characterizations.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4400702]Tanny has mentioned Sapp in interviews the past couple of months...I mentioned in a Westerman thread that I see Sapp as a possible replacement for Westerman's role...And I've posted about him...

[B]Ricky Sapp-A Name to Rember for '12 NY Jets?

[URL]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239919&highlight=ricky+sapp[/URL]

A pre draft thread on JI

[URL]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211359&highlight=ricky+sapp[/URL]

[/B][/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE=2]Clemson outside linebacker Ricky Sapp could be option for Jets in NFL Draft [/SIZE][/B]

[B]Published: Friday, April 09, 2010, 3:48 PM
    [/B]
    Rex Ryan was talking shop inside the Jets’ film room, showing off some of the nuances of the league’s elite defense, when Clemson outside linebacker Ricky Sapp came to this realization: [I]How cool would it be to play for this guy?[/I]

The 6-5, 252-pound Sapp, a projected late first-round/early second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, could be an ideal fit for a team looking for an edge pass rusher.

The Jets, of course, rolled out the red-carpet for 13-year veteran Jason Taylor this week in their search to boost their pedestrian sack totals (32) last season.

“Are you kidding me? I would love to be a part of that defense,” Sapp said today. “Just seeing what they do scheme wise -- and seeing the talented players that they have -- is exciting. ... Talking to (Ryan) and watching film with him, I could tell he’s one of those guys that puts you in the right position to make plays. I definitely want to be a part of that.”

Sapp bounced back from a torn right ACL injury during his junior year to record career highs in tackles (60), tackles for loss (5) and sacks (5) last season. His blend of athleticism and smarts makes him an attractive option for the Jets at the 29th overall pick.

Sapp, who met with Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and a few players this week at the team’s practice facility in Florham Park, has aleardy worked out for the Patriots and Eagles.

After playing on his surgically repaired knee at “60 percent” last season, Sapp skipped the Senior Bowl to make sure he could prove to NFL scouts and evaluators that his injury is a thing of the past.

“Right now my knee feels great,” Sapp said. “I feel like I’m back to my old self. When I’m running and working out, I don’t even remember getting hurt or even thinking about it.”

Sapp made a seamless transition from defensive end to stand-up outside linebacker in Clemson’s 3-4 alignments last season.

“It was natural,” Sapp said. “I played a little bit (at outside linebacker) over the past four years. Last year, I stood up a whole lot more. I had no problem with dropping back and covering running backs and receivers. I enjoyed it. It was very natural for me.”

“Playing in a 3-4 scheme is a challenge … and I love a challenge,” he added.

“I just love competition.”

[I]For more Jets information, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at [URL]http://twitter.com/ManishMehta1[/URL]

[URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/clemson_outside_linebacker_ric.html"]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...acker_ric.html[/URL]

[/I] [B]Ricky Sapp-A Name to Rember for '12 NY Jets?[/B]
    Ricky Sapp (DE)
    #92 New York Jets
    Hometown: Bamburg, SC
    DOB: 11-14-1986
    Height: 6’4
    Weight: 252
    College: Clemson
    *2010 5th round pick Philadelphia Eagles
    **10/31/11 Signed to NYJ’s practice squad ; 12/29/11 signed to NYJ’s active roster

The Philidelphia Eagles believed they had a steal in the 5th round of the 2010 NFL draft when they selected Clemson DE Ricky Sapp. Sapp was graded out as first round talent prior to the draft, but due to off the field issues sunk to the 5th round where the Eagles snatched him up. A knee injury further exasperated his problems, causing him to miss the entire 2010 NFL season. The rough start for the young defensive end only got stranger at the beginning of the 2011, when Sapp was placed on the exempt/left squad list after leaving camp for undisclosed reasons. Sapp was subsequently waived on August 5th 2011.

On Halloween of this year Ricky Sapp’s luck seemed to take a turn for the better. He managed to get signed by one of the perennial top defenses in the league, the New York Jets.

An interesting segue into the Sapp situation lies in the early career of ousted Buffalo BIlls DE/OLB Aaron Maybin. Only a month earlier Tannenbaum & Ryan added Maybin, who for one reason or another didn’t live up to the lofty first round expectations and was cut after the Bills’ 2011 training camp.

It is the Maybin signing which may be a precursor of things to come from the 25 year old Sapp. Two years after Maybin was drafted and declared a bust, Maybin finished 2011 with 11 tackles, 6 sacks, & 4 forced fumbles.

Can Sapp flourish in New York as did Aaron “Mayhem” Maybin? The answer is, yes.

After a disappointing end to the 2011 Jets campaign, fans need to realize that Rex Ryan is a good football coach and knows what the 6’4 252 pound Sapp is capable of. Analysts consider Sapp a force, being able to perform at many of the front seven defensive positions. Sapp is quick off the line of scrimmage and athletic enough to play the run. With a little work on his hands and a some schooling on how to shed blockers, Ricky Sapp might just be another nightmare for the Jets division rivals.

A lot of pundits have previously written how Sapp, with ten more pounds added to his frame, would be most comparable to Demarcus Ware. Who knows, maybe they’re right…but smart money knows that if any coach can get through to Ricky Sapp it would be coach Ryan. This time next year Rex’s hybrid 46 defense might have just enough ‘Mayhem’ to ‘Sapp’ the life out of the high flying AFC & NFC offenses.

[URL]http://www.practice-squad.com/[/URL]