Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Sapp ran a 4.61 40 at the combine...

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475562]In theory it sounds good but I'm afraid it would cause too much in-fighting if posters didn't agree with their characterizations.[/QUOTE]

kind of hard to disagree with averages based on poster ratings!

Some people feel the need to let kids know they might not grow up to be successful . . . or to let the newlywed know marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be . . . or let the person going on a diet know it probably won't last, and they'll end up heavier than they started . . .

In every case, they could very well be right. But they could also be wrong, and that's why some people would rather not hear it. Not because it's not possible, but because they'd rather focus on the positive.

I doubt anyone is jumping off a bridge if Sapp doesn't pan out. But that doesn't mean we can't dream about the possibilities in MAY . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4475534]I'll be busy beating Potvin's wife!![/QUOTE]

His 2nd or 3rd?:D

[QUOTE=OCCH;4475741]Some people feel the need to let kids know they might not grow up to be successful . . . or to let the newlywed know marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be . . . or let the person going on a diet know it probably won't last, and they'll end up heavier than they started . . .

In every case, they could very well be right. But they could also be wrong, and that's why some people would rather not hear it. Not because it's not possible, but because they'd rather focus on the positive.

I doubt anyone is jumping off a bridge if Sapp doesn't pan out. But that doesn't mean we can't dream about the possibilities in MAY . . .[/QUOTE]
    Yes. Let's enjoy the developments in OTA and TC. Let the cream rise to the top, if Sapp is productive and is retained then it was a great pickup by the Jets. If not, so be it - Jets got him for cheap anyways.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Two things, this kid was if i remember correctly a 5 star recruit, everyone wanted him incliding my Noles but he chose Clemson, his numbers were solid at Clemson not spectacular but you have to consider he was playing behind Gaines Adams? Clemson's DL was just stacked the time he was there. His knee definitely hurt his draft stock, but i dont know too many 6.5 250 pound people that can run 4.6 with a bum knee. Dont know why Philly let him go, i read somewhere he didnt show the proper motivation, who knows.... All i know is that a reclamation project of this nature can work sometimes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4475821]Two things, this kid was if i remember correctly a 5 star recruit, everyone wanted him incliding my Noles but he chose Clemson, his numbers were solid at Clemson not spectacular but you have to consider he was playing behind Gaines Adams? Clemson's DL was just stacked the time he was there. His knee definitely hurt his draft stock, but i dont know too many 6.5 250 pound people that can run 4.6 with a bum knee. Dont know why Philly let him go, [B]i read somewhere he didnt show the proper motivation[/B], who knows.... All i know is that a reclamation project of this nature can work sometimes.[/QUOTE]
    Isn't that enough to be concerned?

I can't imagine not being motivated on an Andy Reid team.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4475741]Some people feel the need to let kids know they might not grow up to be successful . . . or to let the newlywed know marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be . . . or let the person going on a diet know it probably won't last, and they'll end up heavier than they started . . .

I doubt anyone is jumping off a bridge if Sapp doesn't pan out. But that doesn't mean we can't dream about the possibilities in MAY . . .[/QUOTE]

+1000000000000000000000000000000

I just don't understand why some people must always focus on the negative. If you tend to have slightest positive expectation for a player, there is always some know it all to "rain on your parade" and your "green colored glasses". Very sad and one of the reasons I refrain from posting as much...

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475828]Isn't that enough to be concerned?

I can't imagine not being motivated on an Andy Reid team.[/QUOTE]

I believe there was an article during last seasons Philly TC that Sapp was frustrated that his knee was still bothering him. Reportedly he walked out of camp and subsequently released. The jets worked him out shortly after that and told him to go rehab his knee and come back in 6 weeks or so. He did and was signed to the PS.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475828]Isn't that enough to be concerned?

[B]I can't imagine not being motivated on an Andy Reid team.[/B][/QUOTE]

Did you not watch football last year? "Dream team" was a complete failure and almost cost Reid his job.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4475922]I believe there was an article during last seasons Philly TC that Sapp was frustrated that his knee was still bothering him. Reportedly he walked out of camp and subsequently released. The jets worked him out shortly after that and told him to go rehab his knee and come back in 6 weeks or so. He did and was signed to the PS.[/QUOTE]

This.

I also remember this now that you mention it

As I said, injuries and this personal issue derailed the start of his career.

This is a player with 1st or 2nd round ability

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but he's a hell of a reclamation project given his talent, and they got him for peanuts, Sapp is essentially another high round draft pick.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4475933]This.

I also remember this now that you mention it

As I said, injuries and this personal issue derailed the start of his career.

This is a player with 1st or 2nd round ability

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but he's a hell of a reclamation project given his talent, and they got him for peanuts, Sapp is essentially another high round draft pick.[/QUOTE]

No risk, high reward. Simple as that. If healthy, at worst he is the 2012 version of Westerman.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4475937]No risk, high reward. Simple as that. If healthy, at worst he is the 2012 version of Westerman.[/QUOTE]

Time will tell but it's entirely possible.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him during the pre-season.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4475714][B][SIZE=2]Clemson outside linebacker Ricky Sapp could be option for Jets in NFL Draft [/SIZE][/B]

[B]Published: Friday, April 09, 2010, 3:48 PM
    [/B]
    Rex Ryan was talking shop inside the Jets’ film room, showing off some of the nuances of the league’s elite defense, when Clemson outside linebacker Ricky Sapp came to this realization: [I]How cool would it be to play for this guy?[/I]

The 6-5, 252-pound Sapp, a projected late first-round/early second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, could be an ideal fit for a team looking for an edge pass rusher.

The Jets, of course, rolled out the red-carpet for 13-year veteran Jason Taylor this week in their search to boost their pedestrian sack totals (32) last season.

“Are you kidding me? I would love to be a part of that defense,” Sapp said today. “Just seeing what they do scheme wise -- and seeing the talented players that they have -- is exciting. ... Talking to (Ryan) and watching film with him, I could tell he’s one of those guys that puts you in the right position to make plays. I definitely want to be a part of that.”

Sapp bounced back from a torn right ACL injury during his junior year to record career highs in tackles (60), tackles for loss (5) and sacks (5) last season. His blend of athleticism and smarts makes him an attractive option for the Jets at the 29th overall pick.

Sapp, who met with Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and a few players this week at the team’s practice facility in Florham Park, has aleardy worked out for the Patriots and Eagles.

After playing on his surgically repaired knee at “60 percent” last season, Sapp skipped the Senior Bowl to make sure he could prove to NFL scouts and evaluators that his injury is a thing of the past.

“Right now my knee feels great,” Sapp said. “I feel like I’m back to my old self. When I’m running and working out, I don’t even remember getting hurt or even thinking about it.”

Sapp made a seamless transition from defensive end to stand-up outside linebacker in Clemson’s 3-4 alignments last season.

“It was natural,” Sapp said. “I played a little bit (at outside linebacker) over the past four years. Last year, I stood up a whole lot more. I had no problem with dropping back and covering running backs and receivers. I enjoyed it. It was very natural for me.”

“Playing in a 3-4 scheme is a challenge … and I love a challenge,” he added.

“I just love competition.”

[I]For more Jets information, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at [URL]http://twitter.com/ManishMehta1[/URL]

[URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/clemson_outside_linebacker_ric.html"]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...acker_ric.html[/URL]

[/I] [B]Ricky Sapp-A Name to Rember for '12 NY Jets?[/B]
    Ricky Sapp (DE)
    #92 New York Jets
    Hometown: Bamburg, SC
    DOB: 11-14-1986
    Height: 6’4
    Weight: 252
    College: Clemson
    *2010 5th round pick Philadelphia Eagles
    **10/31/11 Signed to NYJ’s practice squad ; 12/29/11 signed to NYJ’s active roster

The Philidelphia Eagles believed they had a steal in the 5th round of the 2010 NFL draft when they selected Clemson DE Ricky Sapp. Sapp was graded out as first round talent prior to the draft, but due to off the field issues sunk to the 5th round where the Eagles snatched him up. A knee injury further exasperated his problems, causing him to miss the entire 2010 NFL season. The rough start for the young defensive end only got stranger at the beginning of the 2011, when Sapp was placed on the exempt/left squad list after leaving camp for undisclosed reasons. Sapp was subsequently waived on August 5th 2011.

On Halloween of this year Ricky Sapp’s luck seemed to take a turn for the better. He managed to get signed by one of the perennial top defenses in the league, the New York Jets.

An interesting segue into the Sapp situation lies in the early career of ousted Buffalo BIlls DE/OLB Aaron Maybin. Only a month earlier Tannenbaum & Ryan added Maybin, who for one reason or another didn’t live up to the lofty first round expectations and was cut after the Bills’ 2011 training camp.

It is the Maybin signing which may be a precursor of things to come from the 25 year old Sapp. Two years after Maybin was drafted and declared a bust, Maybin finished 2011 with 11 tackles, 6 sacks, & 4 forced fumbles.

Can Sapp flourish in New York as did Aaron “Mayhem” Maybin? The answer is, yes.

After a disappointing end to the 2011 Jets campaign, fans need to realize that Rex Ryan is a good football coach and knows what the 6’4 252 pound Sapp is capable of. Analysts consider Sapp a force, being able to perform at many of the front seven defensive positions. Sapp is quick off the line of scrimmage and athletic enough to play the run. With a little work on his hands and a some schooling on how to shed blockers, Ricky Sapp might just be another nightmare for the Jets division rivals.

A lot of pundits have previously written how Sapp, with ten more pounds added to his frame, would be most comparable to Demarcus Ware. Who knows, maybe they’re right…but smart money knows that if any coach can get through to Ricky Sapp it would be coach Ryan. This time next year Rex’s hybrid 46 defense might have just enough ‘Mayhem’ to ‘Sapp’ the life out of the high flying AFC & NFC offenses.

[URL]http://www.practice-squad.com/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thank you for a great read. It gets tiring reading some of the nonsense written here.

---
    I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y304gg[/url]

Veteran
    I forgot they put him on the active roster before the final game. Two months later he's on the active roster, maybe this is no fluke.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4476057]Thank you for a great read. It gets tiring reading some of the nonsense written here. [/QUOTE]

nonsense = anything that isn't pom pom waving?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

One thing that jumps out at me, Manish was so much better in 2010. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Jordy;4475534]I'll be busy beating Potvin's wife!![/QUOTE]

Potvin didn't beat his wife....he beat the Rags a whole bunch of times though!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4476352]Potvin didn't beat his wife....he beat the Rags a whole bunch of times though![/QUOTE]

What team did he play with? They used to play on LI, didn't they?

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4476342]One thing that jumps out at me, Manish was so much better in 2010. :yes:[/QUOTE]
    yep..It could be the switch to the Daily News...Maybe his DNs editors place more pressure on him for crap...

Hopefully, Jenny Vrentas stays at the Ledger for a long time..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4476360]What team did he play with? They used to play on LI, didn't they?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're playing golf now. Something the Rangers will be familiar with by this weekend. :D