Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 for 30

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know if it was part of the 30 for 30 thing but the documentary "Catching Hell" was pretty good as well.

All League
    [QUOTE=LSJF;4475735][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt65UxXjj7o&feature=player_embedded[/url][/QUOTE]

This guy needs to be in the hall of fame...good episode...[/QUOTE]

He will get in one day. He is not in already because he refused to tell the truth. His own fault

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Peebag;4475442]also the one about 1994 was pretty good...[/QUOTE]

Yes, that one was another example of old-school documentary style where the cameras roll and the footage - not a narrator and/or a series of interviews - tell the story.

As much as I enjoyed the U, I don't consider it a great documentary because it had an overt agenda and like most modern "docs" feels more like a VH1 "I love the 80s" episode than an actual documentary film. I feel a lot of the 30 for 30s fall into this category. The LA Raider one was another example...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The absolute WORST 30 for 30 was the one about the first Fantasy Baseball League, complete with bizarre theatrical re-enactments... Truly awful.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Most of them are excellent...I've seen the ones about SMU, The U, Steve Bartman, Marcus Dupree, Vlade Divzac/Drazen Petrovic, The "real" Rocky, Alabama/Auburn...

Unfortunately, the only bad one I saw (and I think it was pretty bad) was the one about the old Yankee Stadium. Seemed like some high school kid's first documentary....could have been SO much better considering the topic. And way too much weeping...

The one about the Miami football program (don't give me that "The U" bull****) was an infomercial and should have been kicked out of the series. It is absolute garbage.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I watched the Lenny Bias one last night, I'll never forget when that happened, what I didn't realize is his younger brother got murdered a couple of years later. So sad for that family.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The one about the drug addict basketball player from Boston (not Bias) was pretty good too.

Jets Insider VIP
    I watched last night The 16th Man (South African Rugby World Cup victory after Mandela's liberation) and Winning Time (Reggie Miller vs. NY Knicks).

Both were pretty good. Wanted to kick Spike Lee's teeth in :steamin:

[QUOTE=shakin318;4476276]The one about the drug addict basketball player from Boston (not Bias) was pretty good too.[/QUOTE]

Chris Herren...It was excellent!

30 for 30 is the best thing on ESPN, by far!
    E:60 is also good!

[QUOTE=C Mart;4482483]Chris Herren...It was excellent!

30 for 30 is the best thing on ESPN, by far!
    E:60 is also good![/QUOTE]

I saw Chris Herren speak at the local hs last week.

He has an amazing ability to connect with the kids. Great to see him doing something positive after wasting so many years.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4476269]I watched the Lenny Bias one last night, I'll never forget when that happened, what I didn't realize is his younger brother got murdered a couple of years later. So sad for that family.[/QUOTE]

I remember when that happened, very sad, the ultimate yeah boo.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4482486]I saw Chris Herren speak at the local hs last week.

He has an amazing ability to connect with the kids. Great to see him doing something positive after wasting so many years.[/QUOTE]

Glad you got the chance to see him speak...He's a guy you want to root for! What a great cause trying to prevent what happened to him for other young kids/adults.

[CENTER]Chris Herren of Fall River, Massachusetts was a high school basketball stand-out who battled the pressures of making it big from an early age.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#800000][B][I]Recipient of 2 Emmy Nominations: Outstanding Sports Documentary & Outstanding Editing[/I][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#800000][B]“Best Documentary of 2011″ – [I]Sports Illustrated[/I][/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#800000][B][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [B] [COLOR=#ffffff]·[/COLOR]FILM SUMMARY: UNGUARDED[/B]

[url]http://www.ahoopdream.com/espn-unguarded/[/url]

[QUOTE=C Mart;4482514]Glad you got the chance to see him speak...He's a guy you want to root for! What a great cause trying to prevent what happened to him for other young kids/adults.

[CENTER]Chris Herren of Fall River, Massachusetts was a high school basketball stand-out who battled the pressures of making it big from an early age.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#800000][B][I]Recipient of 2 Emmy Nominations: Outstanding Sports Documentary & Outstanding Editing[/I][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#800000][B]“Best Documentary of 2011″ – [I]Sports Illustrated[/I][/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#800000][B][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [B] [COLOR=#ffffff]·[/COLOR]FILM SUMMARY: UNGUARDED[/B]

[url]http://www.ahoopdream.com/espn-unguarded/[/url][/QUOTE]

I know some people will come down on him for his wasted years, but he takes full responsibility and is blatantly honest about it. And the fact that it's still a daily struggle.

I can't tell you how impressed I was wratching after the talk, speaking with kids one on one. whatever his past sins, he'S doing good work now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm hooked on these things, I've probably sen like half of then, just ordered the 'collectors box set' of all 30 on blu ray via Groupon for like 30 bucks today. They're calling it 'volume 1' or something, so I guess they're doing more.

Jets Insider VIP
    I watched the Steve Bartman one this weekend. Geez poor guy...

It was funny listening to some fans talk about the pain of being a Cubs or Red Sox fan. Sounded a lot like the Landing Strip :D

[IMG]http://diamondhoggers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bartman.jpg[/IMG]