Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing the Gap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Closing the Gap.

The Jets made some off season moves and looks like they may have had a solid to a good draft, time will tell. We all have our opinions about our Jets.

Have the Jets closed the gap with the top teams in the league?
    Are they actually going to use the younger players that were just drafted?
    Will they actually get rid of players that are over priced, too old and slow?
    Will the coaching be better?

Are the Jets actually better? Your thoughts...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm somewhat concerned that Buffalo is becoming a serious team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I like our draft, I like the the coaching changes we've made and the few guys we signed.

But unless Sanchez becomes the QB we all expected this could still be an 8-8 team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defense should definitely be improved this season. Wilkerson was solid in season one and should be better with a year of experience. Couples is a major upgrade over DeVito. Ellis should improve in year two. Davis adds much needed speed to the Lb position and Maybin should be better this year as well. In the secondary it would be difficult to be as bad as Smith and Leonard were last season. The safety position should be the same or better by default.

On offense the outlook is more questionable but last season we were awful. Schottys departure is improvement by subtraction. Hill adds a dimension we were sorely lacking last season. If he plays up to even half his potential the WR position will be improved. At TE we get Cumberland back and Baker in his second season with the team. Should be ok there. The RB, QB and the oline are big question marks. At RB we lack a proven playmaker that can catch the rock. I'd like to target a player like that before camp begins. Maybe Hillis or a trade for Pierre Thomas. At QB who knows. Will Sanchez be better in a new system? What will the Tebow effect be? No one can tell for sure. I'm hoping that Sanchez shows improvement in the new system and he becomes the franchise QB we all hoped he would become when he was drafted.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=srobjets;4475218]The Jets made some off season moves and looks like they may have had a solid to a good draft, time will tell. We all have our opinions about our Jets.

Have the Jets closed the gap with the top teams in the league?
    [B]I am going to say yes, instead of a strong maybe
    [/B]

Are they actually going to use the younger players that were just drafted?
    [b]helps with the first part: I think starting Coples and Hill, AND hopefully Hayden Smith is going to add a needed spark in their respective roles..[/b]

Will they actually get rid of players that are over priced, too old and slow?
    [b] makes sense, but I am clueless about who..other than some guesses.[/b]
    Will the coaching be better?

[b] waiting...to see [/b]

Are the Jets actually better? Your thoughts...[/QUOTE]

I think they are..Coples and Smith are the ones I am anxious to see get it on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4475223]I like our draft, I like the the coaching changes we've made and the few guys we signed.

But unless Sanchez becomes the QB we all expected this could still be an 8-8 team.[/QUOTE]

An honest and accurate assessment.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What was the gap? 5 games.

5 games is a lot. And if you go by what the experts say, NE had a great draft. :P

Are we talking making the playoffs or winning the division? Sure the Jets can make the playoffs this year. But to win the division they will likely have to sweep NE and go 5-1 or 6-0 within the division. Even then, we still might not win the division.

But anything is possible. And I do believe the team has seen an overall improvement from a year ago. But the RT is a major Achilles heel and if it doesn't improve then it may just cripple the offense like it did in 2011.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4475219]I'm somewhat concerned that Buffalo is becoming a serious team.[/QUOTE]

The Bills will be the Pats major competition in the AFCE for the next 5 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Jets will be an improved team in 2012, and with the exception of the Tebow move I liked pretty much everything they did this offseason.

As for the gap - the only way to close the gap is to make bigger moves than the team you're trying to catch. The Pats' acquisition of Lloyd could be a nightmare, and sadly I think that pickup outshines any one offseason move the Jets made.

On third down, who's going to cover Welker, Lloyd, Branch & Gronk, with Hernandez possibly coming out of the backfield?

Jets are better, but we can't speak on the gap until we know for sure that the team really acquired an immediate difference-maker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475233]The Bills will be the Pats major competition in the AFCE for the next 5 years.[/QUOTE]

In your dreams. The gap between the Jets and the Pats is not as wide as the gap between your ears.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4475219]I'm somewhat concerned that Buffalo is becoming a serious team.[/QUOTE]

Buffalo and the Jets are similar in that both teams have highly questionable QBs. Still, the Jets defense is better, Mario Williams notwithstanding. Williams is no Bruce Smith. Not even close.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4475236]

On third down, who's going to cover Welker, Lloyd, Branch & Gronk, with Hernandez possibly coming out of the backfield?

[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]The Bills will be the Pats major competition in the AFCE for the next 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Thats nonsense. The Bills have improved, but they havent put together a solid 16 games in over 12 years.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475233]The Bills will be the Pats major competition in the AFCE for the next 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Buffalo has improved but until they can prove they wont impload for half a season and actually play solid football ALL YEAR then they will still be a bottom feeder

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see, Brady is entering his twilight years? Check. Very few coaches in the NFL have success for more than 10 years with a team and Belichick is in year 13? Check. Our QB finally has experience and competition to push him? Check. The gap is closing for sure, even if we hadn't had a better draft than the Pats. Savor every minute as we enter the promised land.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4475241]Buffalo and the Jets are similar in that both teams have highly questionable QBs. Still, the Jets defense is better, Mario Williams notwithstanding. Williams is no Bruce Smith. Not even close.[/QUOTE]

and not to mention we have yet to see the buffalo team on the field...they could flop for all we know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a worse QB than we do. They are going to be in alot of 17-14 type games though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;4475288]They have a worse QB than we do. [/QUOTE]

Fitz > Sanchez

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475294]Fitz > Sanchez[/QUOTE]

why? because Fitz throws for a few more yards per game (literally about 20)? because Fitz completes 2 more passes out of 100 than Sanchez does? that makes him better? Sanchez puts more points on the board per game than Fitz does.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475294]Fitz > Sanchez[/QUOTE]

Get out of here, OLD MAN