Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing the Gap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Bills always get me worried, not a gimme game despite the Jets' success against them. And the Bills always seem like they are ready to take the next step. But until they stop giving up over 5 yards per carry, as they have the past few seasons, they won't be a playoff team. They are switching to a 4-3 and they have that personnel (the experts say) but I'll believe it when it happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad Facts ....

1. Jets had a 'decent' offseason and draft (B)
    2. Pats had a very good draft and still have Brady (B+)
    3. Bills had a superb offseason and a good draft

The way I see it ...

Pats far ahead of the pack, Bills close gap on Jets to share second spot, Miami far behind ...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EternalChampion;4475282][B]Let's see, Brady is entering his twilight years? Check[/B]. Very few coaches in the NFL have success for more than 10 years with a team and Belichick is in year 13? Check. Our QB finally has experience and competition to push him? Check. The gap is closing for sure, even if we hadn't had a better draft than the Pats. Savor every minute as we enter the promised land.[/QUOTE]

So true. Brady may only throw for the third most yards in NFL history now that he's entering his twilight years. Check.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4475317]
    The way I see it ...

Pats far ahead of the pack, Bills close gap on Jets to share second spot, Miami far behind ...[/QUOTE]

You are dead on.

Pats- 14-2
    Bills- 9-7 (Wild Card)
    Jets- 7-9
    Phins- 5-11

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475323]You are dead on.

Pats- 14-2
    Bills- 9-7 (Wild Card)
    Jets- 7-9
    Phins- 5-11[/QUOTE]

Id say realistically ...

Pats - 12 - 4
    Jets - 10 -6
    Bills - 9-7
    Phins - 2 - 14

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4475330]Id say realistically ...

Pats - 12 - 4
    Jets - 10 -6
    Bills - 9-7
    Phins - 2 - 14[/QUOTE]

Paats schedule is really light. Only way they go 12-4 is if the Bills and the Jets each take a game from them. Otherwise, they do better than 12-4.

Jets and Bills can both go 7-9 to 10-6. Jets need to show up and play to what they are capable of, and that D needs to step up. Hunter has to be better. It's amazing how much affect a RT could have on the team.

Fish could go 2-14. I think they could really be awful, and that rookie QB is gonna get blasted if they put him in there.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;4475346]Paats schedule is really light. Only way they go 12-4 is if the Bills and the Jets each take a game from them. [/QUOTE]

... unfortunately this seems true ... outside of the dvision only 4 tough games & 3 of those at home ...

wk 3 - @ balt

wk 5 - denver

wk 14 - houston

wk 15 - s.f.

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EternalChampion;4475282]Let's see, Brady is entering his twilight years? Check. Very few coaches in the NFL have success for more than 10 years with a team and Belichick is in year 13? Check. Our QB finally has experience and competition to push him? Check. The gap is closing for sure, even if we hadn't had a better draft than the Pats. Savor every minute as we enter the promised land.[/QUOTE]

Twilight: Let's see.
    Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Otto Graham, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning.That's a HOF list. Add Brady.

Coaches who lasted a bit: Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll.
    Lombardi would have been around if he didn't die. He left GB knowing the situation.I'msure I missed a bunch.
    As far as Sanchez, his next good year will be his first. His biggest problen is between his ears. He's heard how good he is so a little setback is a catastophe to him. Little resilliance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of early to be talking about what record a team is going to have in January.

But I see the Pats improving a lot more than what the jets did over the off season.

The Pats lost a very good situational pass rusher in Anderson, and a very solid rb in Green Ellis. I believe Solder in his 2nd year will be equal to Light overall, better in the pass game but not as good in the running game.

But,
    Fanane is an upgrade over Shaun Ellis
    Fells is an upgrade over Gronk's brother Dan
    Gaffney is an upgrade over ocho cinco
    Gregory is an upgrade over Inhibigio
    Gallery is an upgrade over Wendell
    Dowling will be an upgrade over Barret
    Stallworth is an upgrade over Underwood
    Koppen is an upgrade over McDonald
    Carpenter and Guyton are a wash of scrubs.

We also picked up Addai, Trevor Scott, Gonsalez, Carpenter,

We had no one the equal of Lloyd on the team last year, The jets lost their #2 wr and rb in Burress and LT.

Bell is better than Pool
    Tebow is better than last year's #2

Draft choices should not even get mentioned until Sept 1st. What Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Dennard , and Wilson or Coples, Hill and Davis do is just a wild guess.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patman;4475444]Kind of early to be talking about what record a team is going to have in January.

But I see the Pats improving a lot more than what the jets did over the off season.

The Pats lost a very good situational pass rusher in Anderson, and a very solid rb in Green Ellis. I believe Solder in his 2nd year will be equal to Light overall, better in the pass game but not as good in the running game.

But,
    Fanane is an upgrade over Shaun Ellis
    Fells is an upgrade over Gronk's brother Dan
    Gaffney is an upgrade over ocho cinco
    Gregory is an upgrade over Inhibigio
    Gallery is an upgrade over Wendell
    Dowling will be an upgrade over Barret
    Stallworth is an upgrade over Underwood
    Koppen is an upgrade over McDonald
    Carpenter and Guyton are a wash of scrubs.

We also picked up Addai, Trevor Scott, Gonsalez, Carpenter,

We had no one the equal of Lloyd on the team last year, The jets lost their #2 wr and rb in Burress and LT.

Bell is better than Pool
    Tebow is better than last year's #2

Draft choices should not even get mentioned until Sept 1st. What Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Dennard , and Wilson or Coples, Hill and Davis do is just a wild guess.[/QUOTE]

If Carter retires that's a significant loss as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475233]The Bills will be the Pats major competition in the AFCE for the next 5 years.[/QUOTE]

The PASTS wont be relevant the next 5 years...2 maybe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475323]You are dead on.

Pats- 14-2
    Bills- 9-7 (Wild Card)
    Jets- 7-9
    Phins- 5-11[/QUOTE]

Pats- 12-4, possibly 11-5
    Bills- 8-8
    Jets- 10-6 (Wild Card)
    Phins- 5-11

That is more like it..... Mario Williams made almost NO Difference for Houston for years and the QB situation in Buffalo is not stable.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4475433]Twilight: Let's see.
    Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Otto Graham, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning.That's a HOF list. Add Brady.[/QUOTE]None of those examples except for Favre, Manning, and maybe Elway are relevant, this ain't your granddaddy's NFL. Baseball players can play into their late 30's and even early 40's, modern football is way too fast. Don't expect much out of Peyton this year, either. Elway, by the way, couldn't win until his team cheated by violating the salary cap. Sound like another QB?

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4475433]Coaches who lasted a bit: Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll.
    Lombardi would have been around if he didn't die. He left GB knowing the situation.I'msure I missed a bunch.[/QUOTE]So none in the modern era? Gotcha.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4475433]As far as Sanchez, his next good year will be his first. His biggest problen is between his ears. He's heard how good he is so a little setback is a catastophe to him. Little resilliance.[/QUOTE]He's had flashes of brilliance but I won't argue that he hasn't maintained that level for an entire season. Do or die this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4475471]The PASTS wont be relevant the next 5 years...2 maybe.[/QUOTE]

or 3 maybe...

...or 4....

....possibly....

but definately not 5.....;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO:

Pats are great team, have gotten better on paper, and have a soft as charmin schedule. Less that 14 wins is disapointing for them, IMO, barring a Brady injury or something else catastrophic. They're as likely to get upset as the 1 seed as anyone, but they're favorites for the 1 seed.

Jets are a pretty good team who has gotten better, but how Sanchez plays will determine their fate. Top 5 defense, improved running game, but how does Sanchez A) play in the new system and B) react to the Tebow adversity. Because he's gonna be feeling it from the media, fans, and probably people in his own locker room (thanks Jets brain trust). Hopefully he rises to the occasion. Fortuanately the Jets also have a soft as charmin schedule. Worst case scenario -- 7-9 (I just think the Jets are too good to be worse than that, even if Sanchez sucks and Tebow is starting by week 5). Best case scenario -- 12-4. Everything goes right and no crucial injuries; we beat the crappy teams and don't give anyway any gimmes.. My ballpark guess is 9-7 or 10-6.... I'll go 10-6 in an effort to be optimistic.

Bills should be good, but they won't. I'll beleive in the Bills when I see it. They've gotten better, particularly on defense, had a great draft etc... I just find them hard to beleive in until they prove it. 8-8, with half their losses coming to the Pats and Jets.

Fins are the only team in the East that got worse -- I think they could be awful, worse than last year.

So my guesstimates:

Patriots 14-2
    Jets 10-6
    Bills 8-8
    Fish 4-12

[B]The real question we should be asking ourselves is how we stack up with other Wild Card teams.[/B] I know I'll get crucified for a defeatist attitude but the Pats are too good and more importantly TOO CONSISTENT for us to win the East unless Sanchez takes a massive step forward.

So really -- how do we match up with the Steelers, Bengals, Titans, Chiefs, Chargers and Bills. Those will end up being our main competition (list obviously changes if Pats, Ravens, Texans or Broncos underperform, but the idea is still the same.) Raiders, Jaguars, Colts, Browns, and Fish will all suck.
    Last edited by Austin; 05-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4475479]or 3 maybe...

...or 4....

....possibly....

but definately not 5.....;)[/QUOTE]

The kneepads will help Tom protect his knees....;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4475471]The PASTS wont be relevant the next 5 years...2 maybe.[/QUOTE]

Not sold on the McDaniels (HC)/Mallet (QB1) pairing yet, eh?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4475487]IMHO:

Pats are great team, have gotten better on paper, and have a soft as charmin schedule. Less that 14 wins is disapointing for them, IMO, barring a Brady injury or something else catastrophic. They're as likely to get upset as the 1 seed as anyone, but they're favorites for the 1 seed.

Jets are a pretty good team who has gotten better, but how Sanchez plays will determine their fate. Top 5 defense, improved running game, but how does Sanchez A) play in the new system and B) react to the Tebow adversity. Because he's gonna be feeling it from the media, fans, and probably people in his own locker room (thanks Jets brain trust). Hopefully he rises to the occasion. Fortuanately the Jets also have a soft as charmin schedule. Worst case scenario -- 7-9 (I just think the Jets are too good to be worse than that, even if Sanchez sucks and Tebow is starting by week 5). Best case scenario -- 12-4. Everything goes right and no crucial injuries; we beat the crappy teams and don't give anyway any gimmes.. My ballpark guess is 9-7 or 10-6.... I'll go 10-6 in an effort to be optimistic.

Bills should be good, but they won't. I'll beleive in the Bills when I see it. They've gotten better, particularly on defense, had a great draft etc... I just find them hard to beleive in until they prove it. 8-8, with half their losses coming to the Pats and Jets.

Fins are the only team in the East that got worse -- I think they could be awful, worse than last year.

So my guesstimates:

Patriots 14-2
    Jets 10-6
    Bills 8-8
    Fish 4-12

[B]The real question we should be asking ourselves is how we stack up with other Wild Card teams.[/B] I know I'll get crucified for a defeatist attitude but the Pats are too good and more importantly TOO CONSISTENT for us to win the East unless Sanchez takes a massive step forward.

So really -- how do we match up with the Steelers, Bengals, Titans, Chiefs, Chargers and Bills. Those will end up being our main competition (list obviously changes if Pats, Ravens, Texans or Broncos underperform, but the idea is still the same.) Raiders, Jaguars, Colts, Browns, and Fish will all suck.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much agree with this assessment.

It is laughable that people are automatically penciling the Bills in as some sort of legit contender.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Rex--shoot for the moon. Unless and until the results demand that I do a recount, I'm looking at this as the year we win the division. Jets and Pats will each finish at 12-4 and the Jets get the tiebreaker on division record because they'll split their two games but the Pats will lose a game to the Bills, who will go 7-9. Miami goes 4-12. Jets will lose to Pats, Seahawks, Titans and 49ers.

If you didn't buy Facebook stock, you can use the money on these predictions. :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4475474]Pats- 12-4, possibly 11-5
    Bills- 8-8
    Jets- 10-6 (Wild Card)
    Phins- 5-11

That is more like it..... Mario Williams made almost NO Difference for Houston for years and the QB situation in Buffalo is not stable.[/QUOTE]

Until the Bills are able to show something on the field I am not considering them a threat.