Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing the Gap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bullitt929;4475517]I'm with Rex--shoot for the moon. Unless and until the results demand that I do a recount, I'm looking at this as the year we win the division. Jets and Pats will each finish at 12-4 and the Jets get the tiebreaker on division record because they'll split their two games but the Pats will lose a game to the Bills, who will go 7-9. Miami goes 4-12. Jets will lose to Pats, Seahawks, Titans and 49ers.

If you didn't buy Facebook stock, you can use the money on these predictions. :)[/QUOTE]

Pats schedule is easily 100x easier than the Jets schedule this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4475523]Pats schedule is easily 100x easier than the Jets schedule this year.[/QUOTE]

Only because they can't play against [I]themselves[/I].

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4475523]Pats schedule is easily 100x easier than the Jets schedule this year.[/QUOTE]

No it's not. Ours is actually easier if you're simply comparing the two teams (factoring out our games vs. each other.)

We play the exact same teams with two exceptions:

We play the Steelers while they play the Ravens (advantage us, if anything)

We play the Chargers while they play the Broncos (advantage us, if anything)

The rest of the discrepency in schedule difficulty is based on the fact that they play us twice while we play them twice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4475527]No it's not. Ours is actually easier if you're simply comparing the two teams (factoring out our games vs. each other.)

We play the exact same teams with two exceptions:

We play the Steelers while they play the Ravens (advantage us, if anything)

We play the Chargers while they play the Broncos (advantage us, if anything)

The rest of the discrepency in schedule difficulty is based on the fact that they play us twice while we play them twice.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Also, the Charger game is at night at Metlife stadium on December 23. Not exactly ideal conditions for San Diego.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bullitt929;4475538]I agree with you. Also, the Charger game is at night at Metlife stadium on December 23. Not exactly ideal conditions for San Diego.[/QUOTE]

Right.

The main point should be this -- the AFC East plays the NFC West (consensus worst division in the NFC) and the AFC South (consensus worst division in the AFC) this year. We absoltuley have to take advantage of that -- last year the AFC North played this same soft schedule and put three teams in the playoffs.

Unfortunately for us, teams like the Seahawks and Cardinals look like they could be better this year than they were last, but it's still something working very well in our favor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EternalChampion;4475476]None of those examples except for Favre, Manning, and maybe Elway are relevant, this ain't your granddaddy's NFL. Baseball players can play into their late 30's and even early 40's, modern football is way too fast. Don't expect much out of Peyton this year, either. Elway, by the way, couldn't win until his team cheated by violating the salary cap. Sound like another QB?

So none in the modern era? Gotcha.

He's had flashes of brilliance but I won't argue that he hasn't maintained that level for an entire season. Do or die this year.[/QUOTE]

Football is football. A winner is a winner. Sorry, my examples DO count.
    I could actually have gone back further. These guys are all all time greats. Perhaps, Jim Brown was a bum. Gale Sayers?
    So now you're arguing that Sanchez is the equivalent of someone like Staubach?
    Your age is indeed showing. Grass and coke are very available for that train of thought.
    BTW, baseball players in their 30's and 40s. You are familiar with Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Pete Rose, Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Willy Mays, Walter Johnson, Grover Cleveland Alexander.
    What a list losers. Let me know the next time somebody hits .400 or wins 400 games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4475520]Until the Bills are able to show something on the field I am not considering them a threat.[/QUOTE]

The Bills started last year 5-2, including quality wins over the Patriots and Eagles.

Don't think they will go on another 7 game losing streak this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475559]The Bills started last year 5-2, including quality wins over the Patriots and Eagles.

Don't think they will go on another 7 game losing streak this year.[/QUOTE]

From Weeks 4-10 (which includes their bye), the Bills play the Patriots twice, road games against the Cardinals, 49ers, and Texans, and a home game against the Titans. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they're ready for a stretch like this. I know you like them this year, but I remain a skeptic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475559]The Bills started last year 5-2, including quality wins over the Patriots and Eagles.

we are talking about 2 entirely different scenarios...

Last year Bills came out of nowhere and overracheived for 7 games....

This year Bills have expectations and have added a wide variety of new pieces of the puzzle...1) Can they perform with expectations? Because last year when those expectations developed they crumbled. 2) Can they perform under those expectations while trying to develop as a team?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bullitt929;4475574]From Weeks 4-10 (which includes their bye), the Bills play the Patriots twice, road games against the Cardinals, 49ers, and Texans, and a home game against the Titans. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they're ready for a stretch like this. I know you like them this year, but I remain a skeptic.[/QUOTE]

As do I...Of course on paper they have made tremendous leaps and as a franchise have finally taken strides...

But I'm not ready to anoint them a legit threat until I see it on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

And the Jets were 8-5 at one point, whats your point?

Let alone the fact that the Eagles couldn't get out of there own way at the beginning of last year.

Fitz is a JAG, they lack offensive weapons, and Williams isn't a fix all. They have a shot for 8-9 wins, but are not on the Jets level.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4475576]we are talking about 2 entirely different scenarios...

Last year Bills came out of nowhere and overracheived for 7 games....

This year Bills have expectations and have added a wide variety of new pieces of the puzzle...1) Can they perform with expectations? Because last year when those expectations developed they crumbled. 2) Can they perform under those expectations while trying to develop as a team?[/QUOTE]

Much will depend on which Fitzpatrick shows up. Similar to the Jets with Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4475581]Much will depend on which Fitzpatrick shows up. Similar to the Jets with Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

Agreed...And it's more of which Fitz shows up second half...because over his body of work he struggles mightily second half of the season...until he proves otherwise Bills are messy.

As for Jets, Sanchez success to me is a bit different. His O Line needs to give him the support as does his gameplan. I really do believe Sanchez success is a lot to do with things external to him. JMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4475580]And the Jets were 8-5 at one point, whats your point?

Let alone the fact that the Eagles couldn't get out of there own way at the beginning of last year.

Fitz is a JAG, they lack offensive weapons, and Williams isn't a fix all. They have a shot for 8-9 wins, but are not on the Jets level.[/QUOTE]

Agreed...unless Spiller makes big strides, which he very well may, I'd be concerned about their running game. FJAX isnt repeating what he did last year at his age, and coming off a broken leg. Sorry, just not happening. FJAX has always been an underrated running back but he performed way over his head last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Explain to me why the 5-2 stretch is more indicative of their quality than the 0-7 stretch.

In 2008 they got off to a hot start and extended Dick Jauron. That worked out well...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4475585]Agreed...And it's more of which Fitz shows up second half...because over his body of work he struggles mightily second half of the season...until he proves otherwise Bills are messy.

[B]As for Jets, Sanchez success to me is a bit different. His O Line needs to give him the support as does his gameplan. I really do believe Sanchez success is a lot to do with things external to him[/B]. JMO.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. I'm sure the hope is that his decision making improves dramatically with better front line performance and a simplified game plan.

Just my opinion, but I think the lack of addressing the Hunter/Ducasse situation and going to a ground and pound offense with the personel you have, in a pass happy league, may both pose problems.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4475589]Explain to me why the 5-2 stretch is more indicative of their quality than the 0-7 stretch.

In 2008 they got off to a hot start and extended Dick Jauron. That worked out well...[/QUOTE]

+1 as usual.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4475580]And the Jets were 8-5 at one point, whats your point?

Fitz is a JAG, they lack offensive weapons, and Williams isn't a fix all. [B]They have a shot for 8-9 wins, [U]but are not on the Jets level[/U].[/B][/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, the Jets were an 8 win team. ;)

Seriously, the Bills are in the same situation as the Jets, they will only contend if Fitz plays consistently well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4475599]Perhaps. I'm sure the hope is that his decision making improves dramatically with better front line performance and a simplified game plan.

Just my opinion, but I think the lack of addressing the Hunter/Ducasse situation and going to a ground and pound offense with the personel you have, in a pass happy league, may both pose problems.[/QUOTE]

I think anyones decision making process is effected when they have no time to make decisions, don't care who you are, in what industry or what your job is.

I agree and I'd of liked to see Hunter/Ducasse upgraded. However, Ducasse is better in run situations. Hunter who performed well in a running offense struggled mightily in a passing offense...

Again, I think both should have been and still likely will be upgraded, meaning singing a cap casualty vet to start...But I'm not sure Hunter's season last year translates directly to what the Jets are trying to do this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475611]Last time I checked, the Jets were an 8 win team. ;)

Seriously, the Bills are in the same situation as the Jets, they will only contend if Fitz plays consistently well.[/QUOTE]

the Jets and Bills are not even close to in the same situation...and yes the Jets won 8 games last year, which you, I and anyone paying attention knows was a failure...it was considered a failure because they are better than an 8 win team...if they were considered and had the talent of an 8 win team the backlash of the 8 win season wouldnt exist.