Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your favorite/least favorite offseason move by the Jets?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4475315]
    least

[B]By far.[/B]
    Giving more money and a extension to a JAG QB you think we would have learned from the pennington debacle that stole money from the team for years now we get another in sanchez.

[/QUOTE]

What a fraud troll you are.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is going to be a bit strange, but my least favorite move was trading Drew Stanton. I wasn't a big fan of the whole Tebow move at the outset, but I'm generally OK with it....provided he is not considered a traditional QB. While not loving the off the field issues it brought to the team, I like that he will be able to be used in various different situations, formations and can generally wreak havoc on a DC trying to game plan for the Jets.

What I don't like is the fact that in addition to all these roles, he's also the backup QB. In my mind, if Sanchez goes down, Tebow's role shouldn't materially change. Sure he would get more focus, but I'm not sure he should be under Center 100% of the time. For starters, he is not an NFL caliber QB. He's an NFL caliber player and can be effective when used appropriately, but he's simply not an NFL QB. The Broncos last year absolutely maximized

Also, utilizing him in the manner that the Jets intend to puts our backup QB in serious jeopardy of getting injured. That's obviously a risk I'm willing to take if the Jets had someone else they deemed to be the #2 guy - which they did in Drew Stanton. But, if Tebow goes down while running the spread, blocking for the Punter or doing something else the Jets want him to do, we are then stuck with Greg Mcelroy or the UDFA we picked up as our only other QBs. Not a very good situation.

I guess, at the end of the day, no one is winning the Lombardi anymore with a backup QB, so its mostly academic, but you can't really operate under that assumption. The task of a GM is to put the best team possible out there and that includes planning for the situation of your QB going down.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4475565]This is going to be a bit strange, but my least favorite move was trading Drew Stanton. I wasn't a big fan of the whole Tebow move at the outset, but I'm generally OK with it....provided he is not considered a traditional QB. While not loving the off the field issues it brought to the team, I like that he will be able to be used in various different situations, formations and can generally wreak havoc on a DC trying to game plan for the Jets.

What I don't like is the fact that in addition to all these roles, he's also the backup QB. In my mind, if Sanchez goes down, Tebow's role shouldn't materially change. Sure he would get more focus, but I'm not sure he should be under Center 100% of the time. For starters, he is not an NFL caliber QB. He's an NFL caliber player and can be effective when used appropriately, but he's simply not an NFL QB. The Broncos last year absolutely maximized

Also, utilizing him in the manner that the Jets intend to puts our backup QB in serious jeopardy of getting injured. That's obviously a risk I'm willing to take if the Jets had someone else they deemed to be the #2 guy - which they did in Drew Stanton. But, if Tebow goes down while running the spread, blocking for the Punter or doing something else the Jets want him to do, we are then stuck with Greg Mcelroy or the UDFA we picked up as our only other QBs. Not a very good situation.

I guess, at the end of the day, no one is winning the Lombardi anymore with a backup QB, so its mostly academic, but you can't really operate under that assumption. The task of a GM is to put the best team possible out there and that includes planning for the situation of your QB going down.[/QUOTE]

Really nice post. I agree with your post 100%. The problem with Tebow on the roster will be the way the media and some fans make it a circus the first negative play you will hear the cat calls for Tebow regardless of who's mistake it is. Tebow the utility player will be good for the Jets, Tebow the QB is not good for the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Drafting Stephen Hill for favorite

Least favorite was trading for Tebow. I think he can help the team but the Tebots are unbearable and will be much worse when the season starts, which could be detrimental to the team. First int from Sanchez, even in training camp, will have them foaming at the mouth.

All Pro
    At least if Sanchez goes down Tebow > Brunell.

And honestly, while I'm not a Tebow supporter, I'm not sure Drew Stanton is any more of an NFL caliber QB than he is.

Favorites
    Dumping Schotty
    The Draft - I think we did well

The bad
    Tebowmania - I think he can bring something to the team but the circus and the controversy he'll bring might not be worth it.

Veteran
    Bottom line, Jets needed a backup QB and Tebow is heads above all other options.

Jets Insider VIP
    I actually had a positive feeling about the Tebow trade but [B]ucrenegade[/B] has absolutely ruined that feeling for me.

Truth.

Favorite: Sparano (we needed a disciplinarian on the coaching staff to kick some ass, especially on offense. Sparano was a great choice who will surprise the doubters)

Least Favorite: Tebow (we needed a legit back up QB and instead signed a FB/TE hybrid to back Sanchez up)

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4475593]I actually had a positive feeling about the Tebow trade but [B]ucrenegade[/B] has absolutely ruined that feeling for me.

Truth.[/QUOTE]

My prediction is urengrenade won't be here come September.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4475594]Favorite: Sparano (we needed a disciplinarian on the coaching staff to kick some ass, especially on offense. Sparano was a great choice who will surprise the doubters)

Least Favorite: Tebow (we needed a legit back up QB and instead signed a [B]FB/TE hybrid [/B]to back Sanchez up)[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand how Tebow is a good "football player"/FB/TE/punt protector when he's never played any of those positions. He's a quarterback, plain and simple. A very flawed one, but still a QB. If the Jets can successfully transition him to any of those positions, that's great. But he isn't any of those things right now.

Banned
    Favorite move: Getting that dogsh!t Offensive Coordinator out of here.

Least favorite: Keeping Wayne Hunter.

Favorite: Overall draft
    Least Favorite: The lack of anything regarding RT (as of today)

[B]Favorites: [/B]

Sparano -- Not because I'm in love with his offense, but because the presence he brings complements all the good parts of Rex (intensity, loyalty to his players) and fills in all the gaps (accountability and, uh, knowledge of offense).

Yeremiah Bell -- If we had signed Bell and one of Nelson/Leonhard/Otogwe (in that order, due to Leonhard's health risk) and then drafted young depth as we did, I would have sat back and not worried about the safety position all summer.

Demario Davis -- I've watched a lot of tape on him. Will be a special teams monster day one. Great intangibles and obviously great speed. Potential to blossom into a consistent contributor playing in a talented ILB rotation.

[B]Least Favorites:[/B]

Landry -- I was on record early saying I didn't like this move. The deal was well-structured but not the unit I wanted to take an injury risk, unless it was with our guy Leonhard. I think Landry will play a decent number of snaps and be a decent player this year, but we needed more than that with the closest thing we had to our big-ticket free agent signing.

Robert Griffin -- I just don't see anything to like, even with a late round pick. I would have preferred another project RT like that kid out of Columbia U.

Tebow -- impossible to evaluate because I agree that he's a nice get football-wise but a potential problem in this playing environment.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4475601]My prediction is urengrenade won't be here come September.[/QUOTE]
    Your fingers (since you typed it) to God's ears. :O

[QUOTE=Austin;4475420]It's a prediction -- obviously it might not come true.

But I'm very confident that a QB controversy will ruin the season and drive more people (coaches, FAs, etc.) running in droves away from the Jets. Rex has created a circus, and when that backfired we went out and brought in the biggest circus sideshow of all.

And this isn't even taking into account that Tim Tebow is a flat out terrible QB. I'll leave it at that so I don't highjack the thread, but I just don't beleive there is a very good chance the Tebow trade works out well for us in the end.[/QUOTE]

Then so be it. If we're that fragile-minded as a team, we have no right setting high expectations to begin with.

It's amazing how almost all of the "Tebow distractions" have anything to do with the man himself. It's the media, his fans/detractors . . . yet all you hear is how he's a good teammate.

Could it be a problem if the media swarms him after a big win, even though he had nothing to do with it? Sure -- but that's not his fault. That's the sign of a team who doesn't have enough control to keep things in check.

Is that us? Quite possibly, but I'll blame the team for that way before I blame the guy just trying to play football . . .

[QUOTE=jetrider;4475601]My prediction is urengrenade won't be here come September.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately i think we are stuck w him until tebow moves on to another team

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4475606]I still don't understand how Tebow is a good "football player"/FB/TE/punt protector when he's never played any of those positions. He's a quarterback, plain and simple. A very flawed one, but still a QB. If the Jets can successfully transition him to any of those positions, that's great. But he isn't any of those things right now.[/QUOTE]

Simple, in order to play QB you need to be able to throw the ball and read defenses. Tebow does neither. He is an athlete plain and simple. He has the size and athleticism to play a FB/TE hyprid. The guy can run the ball no doubt. I feel much more confident that he can be coached to block and catch rather than read defenses and complete passes.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4475646]Then so be it. If we're that fragile-minded as a team, we have no right setting high expectations to begin with.

[B]It's amazing how almost all of the "Tebow distractions" have anything to do with the man himself. It's the media, his fans/detractors . . . yet all you hear is how he's a good teammate.[/B]
    Could it be a problem if the media swarms him after a big win, even though he had nothing to do with it? Sure -- but that's not his fault. That's the sign of a team who doesn't have enough control to keep things in check.

Is that us? Quite possibly, but I'll blame the team for that way before I blame the guy just trying to play football . . .[/QUOTE]

There have been plenty of reports out of the Broncos that many players were annoyed with the coverage and credit Tebow got.

And I agree that it's not his fault as a teammate as much as a media/fan creation. But it's still an issue, IMO, and with things like Revis endorsing Tebow as a natural born leader you're already seeing that media creation grow...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4475593]I actually had a positive feeling about the Tebow trade but [B]ucrenegade[/B] has absolutely ruined that feeling for me.

Truth.[/QUOTE]

your welcome i guess you will be crushed if he outperforms sanchez and is named the starter because as of right now that is a 50-50 chance because they are learning the exact same play book at the exact same time.

I am in a great position because either tebow wins and starts or

sanchez starts then once he is not able to read defenses and starts being sanchez throwing those pick 6's then tebow will start.

If by some miracle sanchez plays well then the jets will do well and i can look forward to the playoffs.

either way I win.......:yes: