Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets sign FB Fui Vakapuna

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets sign FB Fui Vakapuna

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_to_sign_free-agent_fullba.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/url]

Head scratcher. He has no track record, and Sparano isn't big on pure FB anyway.

The scenario that makes most sense: Josh Baker likely to make team as swing-back, giving you at least the option of running sets with FB. John Conner trade bait or cut candidate, but you want a body you can bring to camp, stick on the practice squad to prep for opposing teams, etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sends a message to John Conner that he needs to be better

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4475336][URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_to_sign_free-agent_fullba.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/URL]

Head scratcher. He has no track record, and Sparano isn't big on pure FB anyway.

The scenario that makes most sense: Josh Baker likely to make team as swing-back, giving you at least the option of running sets with FB. John Conner trade bait or cut candidate, but you want a body you can bring to camp, stick on the practice squad to prep for opposing teams, etc.[/QUOTE]
    Either that or Tanny overheard Rex yelling "Phooey!!" and enter Mr. Vakapuna.:O
    Last edited by Jordy; 05-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh, ST's?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4475336][url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_to_sign_free-agent_fullba.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/url]

The scenario that makes most sense: Josh Baker likely to make team as swing-back, giving you at least the option of running sets with FB. John Conner trade bait or cut candidate, but you want a body you can bring to camp, stick on the practice squad to prep for opposing teams, etc.[/QUOTE]

But I thought John Conner was hand picked by Rex and destined to be a star because of his unbelievable ability to block?

Again, free pass for Rex, but whatever right?

When the JETS start to take the draft serious again, and not let the defensive minded HC draft offensive players and then draft the BFF of the Qb, is when the JETS will get back on the right track for success.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4475395]But I thought John Conner was hand picked by Rex and destined to be a star because of his unbelievable ability to block?

When the JETS start to take the draft serious again, and not let the defensive minded HC draft offensive players and then draft the BFF of the Qb, is when the JETS will get back on the right track for success.[/QUOTE]

Coper....what the F are you talking about?

Connor was in his first year as a blocking FB in an offense that was a disaster; and this means the Jets are not taking the draft serious:eek:

Wait....:eek::eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4475395]But I thought John Conner was hand picked by Rex and destined to be a star because of his unbelievable ability to block?

When the JETS start to take the draft serious again, and not let the defensive minded HC draft offensive players and then draft the BFF of the Qb, is when the JETS will get back on the right track for success.[/QUOTE]
    Okay that was 2010 and 2011.

I think the FO did a very nice job this year in the draft. So, according to your comment, I think they are back on the right track. Do you agree?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

serious? Conner has played all of 2 seasons (basically only 1 as a fullback). Is he Tony Richardson? No, not many are. But did you know Shonn Greene's YPC was higher last season than it was in 2010? Barely, but it was. FB does have something to do with it.

Rex and Co. really have no idea what they are doing. I mean, there are only 24 other NFL teams who have less wins than the Jets over the past 3 seasons...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... any chance to expect his role to be the blocking te spot helping out hunter? ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a serious note, I believe Fui is just a TC body.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4475413]On a serious note, I believe Fui is just a TC body.[/QUOTE]

Most likely. You can not go through a whole off season of OTAs and training camp with just 1 true FB on your roster. While I dont like Conner that much, I doubt Fui is going to take his job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's an offseason body and maybe makes it to TC...Can't remember, did the Jets sign Joe Suhey (Matt's son)? or was he just on a tryout?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4475720]He's an offseason body and maybe makes it to TC...Can't remember, did the Jets sign Joe Suhey (Matt's son)? or was he just on a tryout?[/QUOTE]
    He's not on the roster nor on Jason's website so my guess is no.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, what did Bloomberg do now . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like just another TC body. Best of luck to him though

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Fui!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What? We signed Vai Sikahema?

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like

MAybe non of us really know what they are planning and everyone is *****ing and speculating because they have no clue...the JETS had a down year last season but they were in 2 AFCCG and they are doing the right thing you guys realize on 2 teams get to the bowl and 4 teams make the championships...

stuff happens Rex is a good coach and they are switching things up just bringing bodies in...because there are so many more media outlets we suspect something is happening that we don't know about...

Its really just a numbers game bringing guys in and seeing what they got...The FB position is almost a lost art and having a run heavy team makes more options better...holy smokes everyone is in crisis mode constantly on this board...

I joined here because I thought we would talk ball and crack jokes but its turned out to be the pre apocalyptic site...holy :steamin:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Vai makes the team so when he gets on the field we can yell "pooooooooooooooooooon"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...how about a TC body who plays Oline?

At least I could then pretend that we're addressing the depth issue...