Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Thread should be a lot of fun.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This Thread should be a lot of fun.....

[B][SIZE="3"]STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All[/SIZE][/B]

Read more: [url]http://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5#ixzz1vmjAbm1m[/url]

Media outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC have a negative impact on people’s current events knowledge while NPR and Sunday morning political talk shows are the most informative sources of news, according to Fairleigh Dickinson University’s newest PublicMind survey.
    Researchers asked 1,185 random nationwide respondents what news sources they had consumed in the past week and then asked them questions about events in the U.S. and abroad.

On average, people correctly answered 1.6 of 5 questions about domestic affairs.

Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all. Those watching only "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" answered 1.42 questions correctly and people who only listened to NPR or only watched Sunday morning political talk shows answered 1.51 questions correctly.

In terms of international news, people correctly answered an average of 1.8 of 4 questions.

With all else being equal, people who watched no news were expected to answer 1.28 correctly; those watching only Sunday morning shows figured at 1.52; those watching only "The Daily Show" figured at 1.60; and those just listening to NPR were expected to correctly answer 1.97 international questions.

Those watching only MSNBC were expected to correctly answer only 1.23 out of 4, while viewers of only Fox News figured at 1.08. The study noted that the effects of Fox News, MSNBC and talk radio depended on the ideology of the consumer.

“Ideological news sources, like Fox and MSNBC, are really just talking to one audience,” Political scientist and poll analyst Dan Cassino said in a press release. “This is solid evidence that if you’re not in that audience, you’re not going to get anything out of watching them.”

Thus, those who watched no news—answering questions by guessing or relying on existing knowledge—fared much better than those who watched the most popular 24-hour cable news network (i.e. Fox News).
    Cassino concluded that "the most popular of the national media sources—Fox, CNN, MSNBC—seem to be the least informative."

It is a follow-up to a 2011 survey of 612 New Jerseyans that found, among other things, that those who watched Fox News were 18 points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government than those who watch no news at all.

Read more: [url]http://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5#ixzz1vmjWepCy[/url]

In other news, water is wet and the sun is hot.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all know that NY Times, NPR and PBS viewers are the most informed on national and world events.

That begs the question, why do viewers of NPR advocate government policy that would redistribute their wealth to the viewers of Fox News?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I have said numerous times I don't watch the news, I read, so I have no horse in the race.

There are several things that beg questioning in this article:

1. What was the size of the study group?
    2. It says, "Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors." What were those "controls"? Were they different questions, different subjects, etc?
    3. What were the questions? If they were questions slanted toward liberals or even content on the Daily Show (since they did the best) the study is meaningless. This is akin to the supposed racial bias of other testing processes.
    4. The logic that guessing produces better scores than watching Fox News suggests that Fox is purposely misinforming their viewers since the Fox viewers should fall into the same average approximately as the uninformed if there was no value to the content.
    5. The article which I assume is mimicking the wording of the study repeatedly uses the words "would be expected to" when describing answering questions. Since they are discussing the results not the hypothesis shoudln't they be stating how many questions people DID answer not how many they "would be expected to" answer?
    <edit>6. The Egyptians overthrew their government?!?!?! Who knew!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol - reminds me of that SNL 2008 Dem debate skit about Hillary being asked really hard questions and Obuttocks being asked how to spell Iran.

How ridiculous. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4476185]lol - reminds me of that SNL 2008 Dem debate skit about Hillary being asked really hard questions and Obuttocks being asked how to spell Iran.

How ridiculous. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How does that disprove anything from the study? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4476165]As I have said numerous times I don't watch the news, I read, so I have no horse in the race.

There are several things that beg questioning in this article:

1. What was the size of the study group?
    2. It says, "Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors." What were those "controls"? Were they different questions, different subjects, etc?
    3. What were the questions? If they were questions slanted toward liberals or even content on the Daily Show (since they did the best) the study is meaningless. This is akin to the supposed racial bias of other testing processes.
    [B]4. The logic that guessing produces better scores than watching Fox News suggests that Fox is purposely misinforming their viewers since the Fox viewers should fall into the same average approximately as the uninformed if there was no value to the content.[/B]
    5. The article which I assume is mimicking the wording of the study repeatedly uses the words "would be expected to" when describing answering questions. Since they are discussing the results not the hypothesis shoudln't they be stating how many questions people DID answer not how many they "would be expected to" answer?
    <edit>6. The Egyptians overthrew their government?!?!?! Who knew![/QUOTE]

1. I am looking for an article that expands on the machinations of the study.

2. I think #4 is pretty obvious. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4476193]1. I am looking for an article that expands on the machinations of the study.

2. I think #4 is pretty obvious. ;)[/QUOTE]

The only thing that is obvious is your Bias against Fox News.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. I don't belive the articles premise. I simply do not belive that two individuals, one who partakes of no news whatsoever, and one who only partakes of Fox News (The News coverage, NOT the opinion shows) would result in the person guessing, the non-news-watcher, being more "informed" than the Fox News viewer.

Sorry, just don't believe it.

2. With that said, partaking of any one, singular, source of news is a mistake. Compounding that by partaking of only one form of opinion, one in line with the source of news, is a much bigger mistake. An informed person should, in my view, partake of news from a variety of sources, and sample opinion from a similar varied selection of idealogical sources.

Personally, I read CNN and FOX news websites every day for general news, and listen to both Conservative and Liberal radio on Sirius, with BBC, NPR and POTUS as well, all of which claim to be "neutral", unlike Right and Left radio who clearly is of one bias or another.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [U]Giant headline:[/U]

[SIZE="5"]STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All[/SIZE]

[U]First line of copy:[/U]

Media outlets such as Fox News [B]and MSNBC[/B] have a negative impact on people’s current events knowledge...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4476206][U]Giant headline:[/U]

[SIZE=5]STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All[/SIZE]

Media outlets such as Fox News [B]and MSNBC[/B] have a negative impact on people’s current events knowledge...[/QUOTE]

lol, I meant to add that one as well. Too funny.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4476221]lol, I meant to add that one as well. Too funny.[/QUOTE]

It's a giant conspiracy!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4476204]1. I don't belive the articles premise. I simply do not belive that two individuals, one who partakes of no news whatsoever, and one who only partakes of Fox News (The News coverage, NOT the opinion shows) would result in the person guessing, the non-news-watcher, being more "informed" than the Fox News viewer.

Sorry, just don't believe it.

2. With that said, partaking of any one, singular, source of news is a mistake. Compounding that by partaking of only one form of opinion, one in line with the source of news, is a much bigger mistake. An informed person should, in my view, partake of news from a variety of sources, and sample opinion from a similar varied selection of idealogical sources.

Personally, I read CNN and FOX news websites every day for general news, and listen to both Conservative and Liberal radio on Sirius, with BBC, NPR and POTUS as well, all of which claim to be "neutral", unlike Right and Left radio who clearly is of one bias or another.[/QUOTE]

Considering the propaganda that is spewed on outlets like Fox and MSNBC why is not believable to think that someone who does not watch them can be more knowledgeable? Why go through the excercise of putting on a "news" program if the content is filled with half-truths and spin?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4476127]We all know that NY Times, NPR and PBS viewers are the most informed on national and world events.
    [/QUOTE]

[I]Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so[/I]. -- Ronald Reagan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

[SIZE="5"]STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All[/SIZE]

Media outlets such as Fox News [B]and MSNBC[/B] have a negative impact on people’s current events knowledge...[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4476234][I]Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so[/I]. -- Ronald Reagan[/QUOTE]

Quoted from someone who defended the Vietnam War even after the Pentagon Papers revealed the government lied to the country. :rolleyes:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon_papers#Impact[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4476237]Quoted from someone who defended the Vietnam War even after the Pentagon Papers revealed the government lied to the country. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Pretty funny that you'd take that 'honesty' stance after posting an article that clearly and blatantly and purposely tried to misinform readers with its own headline.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4476241]Pretty funny that you'd take that 'honesty' stance after posting an article that clearly and blatantly and purposely tried to [B]misinform[/B] readers with its own headline.[/QUOTE]

Here is the definition of misinform;

[B]mis·in·form[/B] (msn-fôrm)
    tr.v. mis·in·formed, mis·in·form·ing, mis·in·forms
    [B]To provide with incorrect information.[/B]

The headline stated the following;[I] Watching Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All[/I]. Based on the study how was the headline misinforming the public? Based on the data, the viewers of fox were the only people to score below the men and women who watched no news at all.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-24-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

My initial reaction as well.

Tells you all you need to know.

Just another subliminal attack on conservatives by the back-slapping liberals. Nothing more, nothing less. Congratulations pretentious liberals, you are better informed. :rolleyes:

I tell you what, since I have been watching FOX, I have been better informed about things that matter such as our President. I really don't care about Egypt or the rest of the world. If people really want to learn about what is going on there, they should move there. ASAP. :D
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-24-2012 at 10:40 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read through the methodology and interestingly liberals watching only fox news scored a .81 while conservatives watching only fox news scored a 1.4. Conservatives watching only MSNBC were equally inept. The entire premise of the article is absurd because the percentage of people that "only get their news from one source" is minuscule. I watch Fox, CNN, MSNBC, Sunday Talk and local news. Anyone that is so small minded that they only ever tune to one channel is rightfully a moron. The questions they asked were actually quite easy for a political wonk. That said if you aren't a wonk they would be difficult.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4476264]My initial reaction as well.

Tells you all you need to know.

Just another subliminal attack on conservatives by the back-slapping liberals. Nothing more, nothing less. Congratulations pretentious liberals, you are better informed. :rolleyes:

[B]I tell you what, since I have been watching FOX, I have been better informed about things that matter such as our President. I really don't care about Egypt or the rest of the world[/B].[B] If people really want to learn about what is going on there, they should move there[/B]. ASAP. :D[/QUOTE]

And your post tells us a lot too. :yes: