Thread: Joe McKnights new role?

Joe McKnights new role?

I was watching in jets.com the other day and saw that he's put on weight and is upto 215 (started last year at 185) but plans to play around 205-210. Do you guys see him being a major part of the offense this year or do you think he'll stay primarily as a return man?

Rookie
    [QUOTE=sharachow;4476273]I was watching in jets.com the other day and saw that he's put on weight and is upto 215 (started last year at 185) but plans to play around 205-210. Do you guys see him being a major part of the offense this year or do you think he'll stay primarily as a return man?[/QUOTE]

I don't the team will have the #2 RB be the return man.

He's gonna get the opportunity to take LT's spot - mainly 3rd down and to relieve Greene.

The real question is what's going to happen with Powell? Has he shown anything to earn him some snaps.

im pretty sure he bulked up knowing he will be our #2 back and knowing that shonn doesnt usually stay in all the time and gets banged up here and there

[QUOTE=MagroCrag;4476293]He's gonna get the opportunity to take LT's spot - mainly 3rd down and to relieve Greene.

The real question is what's going to happen with Powell? Has he shown anything to earn him some snaps.[/QUOTE]

this is exactly why he was drafted...and this is the year he is going to be expected to step into that role...JMO.

Now I can't help but wonder if Powell/Ganaway are set to be a backup plan to Greene in a couple of years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsonly;4476290]I don't the team will have the #2 RB be the return man.[/QUOTE]

You mean like they did with L Washington, B Harper, etc?

Why not

[IMG]http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/581951/990030.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    [QUOTE=sharachow;4476273]I was watching in jets.com the other day and saw that he's put on weight and is upto 215 (started last year at 185) but plans to play around 205-210. Do you guys see him being a major part of the offense this year or do you think he'll stay primarily as a return man?[/QUOTE]

if he's really put on 30 pounds, it's likely he's lost the burst and breakaway speed to be a really effective a return man. the weight will help him if he has to step in for green as an early down runner, and it shouldn't really take much away from his 3rd down role either...but if he's going to be carrying that much extra weight, we might be looking for a new returner in camp.

are you sure he played last year at 185? that's really surprising to me.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4476325][IMG]http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/581951/990030.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

... $i$$y !!! ... doesn't even have beer in his pitcher :cool: ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4476322]You mean like they did with L Washington, B Harper, etc?

Why not[/QUOTE]

Not another RB on the team with his skills to play LT's roll - 3rd down back. to risky.
    Just my op

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsonly;4476445]Not another RB on the team with his skills to play LT's roll - 3rd down back. to risky.
    Just my op[/QUOTE]

Sounds good but the same situation as with LW and BH.

And they did a much more than adequate job with both jobs. He could do it, not an issue.

I also think there's a possibility that Ganaway could be in the mix. Admittedly this assessment is coming mostly from highlights, but with his running style and familiarity with blitz pickup from the shotgun, he could take some snaps away from Mcknight if he also shows some hands.

Nothing against JM, but in my opinion he's going to be pushed hard by Ganaway.

Book is still open on Powell, but nothing I saw last year in limited exposure was very exciting.

I'd like to see what McKnight can do in space on screens and catching out of the backfield. Leon Washington was money on screens. I can see us calling a lot more screens in this offense. For some reason, Schotty never called the screen and it always seemed effective the one or two times a game he called it

[QUOTE=suprjet;4477042]I'd like to see what McKnight can do in space on screens and catching out of the backfield. Leon Washington was money on screens. I can see us calling a lot more screens in this offense. For some reason, Schotty never called the screen and it always seemed effective the one or two times a game he called it[/QUOTE]

Shotty was more into the old 2 yard pass on 3rd and 20... why stray from a winner?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=DaBallhawk;4476301]im pretty sure he bulked up knowing he will be our #2 back and knowing that shonn doesnt usually stay in all the time and gets banged up here and there[/QUOTE]

Exactly right