Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The Jets have 2 roster spots still open...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The Jets have 2 roster spots still open...

...give this guy a shot. What a brutal story, and what a greedy *****.

[B]Onetime top California football prospect Brian Banks exonerated of kidnap-rape conviction [/B]

[B]Banks' accuser met with him and said she had lied, according to documents in the case[/B]

[URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/onetime-top-california-football-prospect-brian-banks-exonerated-kidnap-rape-conviction-article-1.1084001#commentpostform"]Comments (2)[/URL] [B]By [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/authors?author=The Associated Press"]The Associated Press[/URL] [/B]

[B]Thursday, May 24, 2012, 1:54 PM[/B]

[IMG]http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1084000.1337883470!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg[/IMG]
    [B]AP[/B]

[B]This undated image provided by the California Western School of Law shows Brian Banks, whose 2002 kidnap-rape conviction was dropped after his accuser, Wanetta Gibson, recanted her testimony.
    [/B]

LONG BEACH, Calif. — The kidnap-rape conviction of a once-promising prep football star was dismissed Thursday following a recantation by his accuser.
    [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Brian+Banks"]Brian Banks[/URL] collapsed in sobs on the counsel table during a court hearing where a prosecutor quickly conceded the decade-old case and moved for the dismissal.
    In the summer of 2002, Banks’ future looked bright: He was a 17-year-old high school football star being heavily recruited by a number of colleges. But in a single day that changed with the accusations of kidnapping and rape by a female student.
    He maintained there was no rape and their sexual contact was consensual, but his lawyer urged him to plead no contest rather than risk a sentence of 41 years to life in prison if convicted. He followed the advice and went to prison for six years, shattering his dreams of gridiron glory.
    Lawyers for the California Innocence Project were prepared Thursday to argue he should be exonerated.
    In a strange turn of events, the woman who accused him a decade ago friended him on Facebook when he got out of prison. Wanetta Gibson explained she wanted to “let bygones be bygones.”
    According to documents in the case, she met with Banks and said she had lied; there had been was no kidnap and no rape and she offered to help him clear his record.
    But she subsequently refused to repeat the story to prosecutors because she feared she would have to return a $1.5 million payment from a civil suit brought by her mother against Long Beach schools.
    She was quoted as telling Banks: “I will go through with helping you but it’s like at the same time all that money they gave us, I mean gave me, I don’t want to have to pay it back.”
    Justin Brooks, a lawyer who heads the innocence project, said that Banks has remained on probation, under electronic monitoring, has had to register as a sex offender and has had trouble getting a job.
    He said Banks continues to train for what he hopes will be a future chance at a football career.

Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/onetime-top-california-football-prospect-brian-banks-exonerated-kidnap-rape-conviction-article-1.1084001#ixzz1voUCOJdw[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a cold brutal world....:(

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope karma catches up with those two twats.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap! What a ****ing *****. "Let bygones be bygones"?! Not only should she obviously give the money back, but she should go to jail for as long as he was in there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh.:(

I would love to talk to the original prosecutor, the Detectives etc.

Look at the case file.

I hope this chick does time.

-

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4476666]Holy crap! What a ****ing *****. "Let bygones be bygones"?! Not only should she obviously give the money back, but she should go to jail for as long as he was in there.[/QUOTE]

B!tch should be in jail a LOT longer than he was. She effectively destroyed his life and any potential of playing Pro ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kind of sh*t probably happens A LOT more than people think....

Link to his personal site...showing pictures and descriptions of his daily workouts. [url]http://brianbanks.org/[/url]

Some team ought to give the guy a chance.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 05-24-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sickening.

Stuff like this really makes you wonder if the world would be a better place with out humans. Just gross.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a horrible story!
    I despise women who wrongly accuse guys of rape. Hey, you had sex, big deal, doesn't mean you should get a million dollars and ruin a man's life.
    This woman is scum.
    She should pay back all the money with interest and spend a lot of time behind bars.

Plus, stories like this make it harder for the women who actually are raped.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has she repeated her recant to anybody else. Not that I'm doubting the guy but it sounds like he's the only witness to her admitting she lied.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lone Star Lady;4477095]

Plus, stories like this make it harder for the women who actually are raped.[/QUOTE]

great point

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's like my old man told me when I was four. "Son, they're all c--ts."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=movethechains;4477104]Has she repeated her recant to anybody else. Not that I'm doubting the guy but it sounds like he's the only witness to her admitting she lied.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it helped his case when he secretly videotaped her confessing :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]But according to defense attorneys, Gibson admitted she was worried about having to pay back the money during a second meeting with Banks that was secretly recorded. Defense attorneys quoted Gibson as saying, "'I will go through with helping you but it's like at the same time all that money they gave us, I mean gave me, I don't want to have to pay it back.'"

Her admission was everything Banks had been waiting for.

"We got it!" said Banks when asked what thoughts ran through his mind.

Gibson did not attend the hearing on Thursday. It remained unclear if she would have to pay back the money. Nonetheless, Gibson's admission paved the way for Banks' exoneration.[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4477157]I'm sure it helped his case when he secretly videotaped her confessing :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

you're such a stickler for details

lol

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4477157]I'm sure it helped his case when he secretly videotaped her confessing :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

that ***** should fry big time. I hope she has to repay the money and go to jail.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to having to pay back the money, with interest, how is she not facing criminal charges? :confused:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4476666]Holy crap! What a ****ing *****. "Let bygones be bygones"?! Not only should she obviously give the money back, but she should go to jail for as long as he was in there.[/QUOTE]

+1

She should serve every day that he did.

What kind of piece of s**t collects 1.5 million and sits around while someone else is in jail based on a lie she made up? What a horrible human being.