Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simplified offense a boon to ______

Simplified offense a boon to ______

Nope, not a story about the Jets/Sparano...But I found it interesting the Bears are saying the same things as the Jets players..

AND...Tice, as we all know, was also an OL Coach.....

[SIZE=3][B]Spaeth: Tice's simplified offense a boon to Bears[/B][/SIZE]

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter 9:57 a.m. CDT, May 23, 2012

Veteran tight end [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/matt-spaeth-PESPT00008952.topic"]Matt Spaeth[/URL] sees a noticeable difference in the offense from last season and its not just because the Chicago Bears added All-Pro receiver [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/brandon-marshall-PESPT00008889.topic"]Brandon Marshall[/URL].

"Weve got a lot of stuff in this offense, but its a lot simpler," Spaeth said.

"I think youre going to notice on game day that were going to be really confident in what were doing.

"I can only speak for last year and it was, at times, very confusing. You were still kind of second-guessing yourself as to what you were supposed to be doing. And when youre doing that, youre never playing full-speed. ...

We have pretty much our whole offense in already, and guys get it. It makes sense."

The media get a first chance to view the revamped offense during Wednesday's organized team activities at Halas Hall.

The Bears elevated offensive line coach [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/mike-tice-PESPT0014445.topic"]Mike Tice[/URL] to offensive coordinator and brought in quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates to help implement the scheme. Tice, a former tight end, understands the importance of that position in the offense. His background should only benefit projected starter [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/kellen-davis-PESPT0013497.topic"]Kellen Davis[/URL], Spaeth and the rest of the tight ends on the roster.

Last year, Davis and Spaeth combined for 25 catches and 256 yards. Davis had five touchdowns and Spaeth recorded two.

Former offensive coordinator [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/mike-martz-PESPT000009061.topic"]Mike Martz[/URL]s system relied more on blocking tight ends. In 2009, under Ron Turner, tight end [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/greg-olsen-PESPT008269.topic"]Greg Olsen[/URL] caught a team-high 60 passes for 612 yards and eight touchdowns. Fellow tight [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/desmond-clark-PESPT001299.topic"]Desmond Clark[/URL] had 19 catches that year, while Davis added nine.

"Absolutely, I think the tight end will have a role in this offense," Spaeth said of Tice's scheme. "Its tough to say how much because were just getting started. We dont know what our identity is yet. But we know what we want to do. As of right now, I would say yes, the tight end is going to be involved a lot more."

The Bears signed Spaeth to a three-year contract last July and he has a base salary of $1.76 million this season. He also was a role player in Pittsburgh behind [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/heath-miller-PESPT0012781.topic"]Heath Miller[/URL]. His career-high in receptions for a season was 17 in 08.

"I think people get on me for not catching enough passes. Well, I wasnt necessarily brought here to catch passes," Spaeth said. "I want to catch passes. But whatever they ask me to do to help the team win, thats what Im going to do."

Although there was plenty of offseason chatter about the Bears needing to add a pass-catching tight end in the same mold as Olsen, who was traded to the Carolina Panthers for a third-round pick before the start of the 2011 season, Spaeth expressed a lot of faith in fellow tight end Davis.

"I think Kellen is a tremendous, tremendous talent," Spaeth said. "Hes a freakish athlete. His best stuff is yet to come."

The Bears hope such is the case.

[URL]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-matt-spaeth-mike-tices-simplified-offense-a-boon-to-chicago-bears-20120523,0,4879612.story[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    As usual, nice read/post. Apparently players don't like to think. LOL.

FWIW Soprano > Tice.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is all "training camp everything is roses" stories.

When the Bears brought Martz in, it was so great to have an offensive mind likes his around to teach Cutler. Now, it was all martz fault for the bears failures.

If Sparano fails, we will bring in a new OC and you will hear stuff like, "Tony micromanaged to much. He was too on top of the players etc etc etc.

Take all these "training camp roses" stories with a grain of salt.

All League
    Its the same thing on defense. Players will always rather play in an aggressive one gap, attacking style of defense. Its simpler, more fun, and easier than 2 gap read and react styles.

The problem with "simple offenses" is that they are also easier to defend. Fewer reads from different formations, make it easier on defenses to plan and to coach during the week.

Like everything in life, there are always trade offs. An advantage here is off set by a disadvantage there. Simplify for execution vs scheme for an advantage has been a tug of war in football for 100 years. It will be interesting to see how it works out for the Jets

BTW-I think the Pats caught a break not playing the Jets until the 5 game of the season. By then whatever the Jets plan to do with Tebow will be on tape and whatever major changes Sparano has made to the Sanchez part of the offense will be apparent. It will also give the Pats several weeks to get their young D in order. I thought that if we played you in the first or 2nd week, it would have been a big advantage for the Jets.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4476875]
    The problem with "simple offenses" is that they are also easier to defend. Fewer reads from different formations, make it easier on defenses to plan and to coach during the week.

Like everything in life, there are always trade offs. An advantage here is off set by a disadvantage there. Simplify for execution vs scheme for an advantage has been a tug of war in football for 100 years. It will be interesting to see how it works out for the Jets
    [/QUOTE]

Except in the Jets case, they're going from complex/predictable to simplified/predictable.

There's no proof to substantiate that Schotty's "deception" actually led to fooling the defense -- in fact, we've heard quotes that the other team knew what we were doing anyway. Whether that was on Schotty or Sanchez is irrelevant -- we were running something the players found complex, yet didn't pay off on the field.

So now we'll run something more simplified. The defense may still know what we're doing, but at least the offense can run it more confidently (and likely successfully).

Execution is a way bigger factor for us than the actual play being called. Homerism aside, we have more talent than we've shown on offense the past few years. Whatever it takes to better utilize that talent, I'm all for it . . .

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4476817]This is all "training camp everything is roses" stories.

When the Bears brought Martz in, it was so great to have an offensive mind likes his around to teach Cutler. Now, it was all martz fault for the bears failures.

If Sparano fails, we will bring in a new OC and you will hear stuff like, "Tony micromanaged to much. He was too on top of the players etc etc etc.

Take all these "training camp roses" stories with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

I guess that means your sig is sarcasm?:confused:

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4476875]Its the same thing on defense. Players will always rather play in an aggressive one gap, attacking style of defense. Its simpler, more fun, and easier than 2 gap read and react styles.

BTW-I think the Pats caught a break not playing the Jets until the 5 game of the season. By then whatever the Jets plan to do with Tebow will be on tape and whatever major changes Sparano has made to the Sanchez part of the offense will be apparent. It will also give the Pats several weeks to get their young D in order. I thought that if we played you in the first or 2nd week, it would have been a big advantage for the Jets.[/QUOTE]
    TAPE???!??!!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4476875]

BTW-I think the Pats caught a break not playing the Jets until the 5 game of the season. By then whatever the Jets plan to do with Tebow will be on tape and whatever major changes Sparano has made to the Sanchez part of the offense will be apparent. It will also give the Pats several weeks to get their young D in order. I thought that if we played you in the first or 2nd week, it would have been a big advantage for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

We first meet on Week 7, and that's better for the Jets, IMO.

Gives us more time to experiment, find what works and what doesn't, and see how bad Tebow really is.

I imagine the first couple weeks will be conservative.

You might've been better off playing us then.

yeah, the patsie offense is soooooooo complicated. not. the bottom line is and has always been execution. execute the plays and either the defense or offense will be successful. there are extremes in both directions but all of the mumbo jumbo reads that guys like schitty put into the play book are simply stupid.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4476875]Its the same thing on defense. Players will always rather play in an aggressive one gap, attacking style of defense. Its simpler, more fun, and easier than 2 gap read and react styles.

All Pro
    Tice knows offense he is from that Denny Green tree. this guy had some great offense's when he was a Viking Head Coach..

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=heschertheo;4477142]Mãe de vestidos de noiva, a mãe de tomada de vestidos de noiva, comprar Mãe de vestidos de noiva, mãe barata de vestidos de noiva, mãe de desconto de vestidos de noiva[/QUOTE]

Stop speaking phuckin sputnik.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Complicated offenses never work long term, we as Jets fans know that first hand from years ago with Joe Walton. As to fooling defenses, as Shotty thought he was doing by constantly shifting and running men in motion, that stopped working after Landry's Cowboys. Quick reads, smart routes, good blocking schemes, and good football players make for a good offense imho.

I'll take a simple offense over a stupid one any day of the week.

My favorite Schitty example.Last year against Philly,Greene was tearing off chunks of yards.The Jets moved the ball from their own 6 to around midfield,so then on first down Sh@t for brains runs a shotgun formation...pick 2 plays later.

Gashing the d and you put run a shotgun formation,if anything playaction should have been called.

The simplified ground and pound offense will be great if we can physically win the one on one battle. If we face teams that we try and punch in the mouth who actually punch us in the mouth simple is going to be demoralizing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4477179]The simplified ground and pound offense will be great if we can physically win the one on one battle. If we face teams that we try and punch in the mouth who actually punch us in the mouth simple is going to be demoralizing.[/QUOTE]

a simplified offense does not merely mean ground and pound, we still have a QB and easier decision making will only help him succeed.

[QUOTE=jetswin;4477181]a simplified offense does not merely mean ground and pound, we still have a QB and easier decision making will only help him succeed.[/QUOTE]

Only if our guys actually can win the one on one battles. If they can't easier decision making will not help him succeed at all.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4477186]Only if our guys actually can win the one on one battles. If they can't easier decision making will not help him succeed at all.[/QUOTE]

you're talking about the o line, I agree to an extent, but even simple offenses can hide a weakness if the coach knows what he is doing, everything I've read about Sparano since he has been here has been encouraging so I'm optimistic.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4476795]Nope, not a story about the Jets/Sparano...But I found it interesting the Bears are saying the same things as the Jets players..

AND...Tice, as we all know, was also an OL Coach.....

[SIZE=3][B]Spaeth: Tice's simplified offense a boon to Bears[/B][/SIZE]

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter JMO thAT 9:57 a.m. CDT, May 23, 2012

Veteran tight end [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/matt-spaeth-PESPT00008952.topic"]Matt Spaeth[/URL] sees a noticeable difference in the offense from last season and its not just because the Chicago Bears added All-Pro receiver [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/brandon-marshall-PESPT00008889.topic"]Brandon Marshall[/URL].

"Weve got a lot of stuff in this offense, but its a lot simpler," Spaeth said.

"I think youre going to notice on game day that were going to be really confident in what were doing.

"I can only speak for last year and it was, at times, very confusing. You were still kind of second-guessing yourself as to what you were supposed to be doing. And when youre doing that, youre never playing full-speed. ...

We have pretty much our whole offense in already, and guys get it. It makes sense."

The media get a first chance to view the revamped offense during Wednesday's organized team activities at Halas Hall.

The Bears elevated offensive line coach [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/mike-tice-PESPT0014445.topic"]Mike Tice[/URL] to offensive coordinator and brought in quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates to help implement the scheme. Tice, a former tight end, understands the importance of that position in the offense. His background should only benefit projected starter [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/kellen-davis-PESPT0013497.topic"]Kellen Davis[/URL], Spaeth and the rest of the tight ends on the roster.

Last year, Davis and Spaeth combined for 25 catches and 256 yards. Davis had five touchdowns and Spaeth recorded two.

Former offensive coordinator [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/mike-martz-PESPT000009061.topic"]Mike Martz[/URL]s system relied more on blocking tight ends. In 2009, under Ron Turner, tight end [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/greg-olsen-PESPT008269.topic"]Greg Olsen[/URL] caught a team-high 60 passes for 612 yards and eight touchdowns. Fellow tight [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/desmond-clark-PESPT001299.topic"]Desmond Clark[/URL] had 19 catches that year, while Davis added nine.

"Absolutely, I think the tight end will have a role in this offense," Spaeth said of Tice's scheme. "Its tough to say how much because were just getting started. We dont know what our identity is yet. But we know what we want to do. As of right now, I would say yes, the tight end is going to be involved a lot more."

The Bears signed Spaeth to a three-year contract last July and he has a base salary of $1.76 million this season. He also was a role player in Pittsburgh behind [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/heath-miller-PESPT0012781.topic"]Heath Miller[/URL]. His career-high in receptions for a season was 17 in 08.

"I think people get on me for not catching enough passes. Well, I wasnt necessarily brought here to catch passes," Spaeth said. "I want to catch passes. But whatever they ask me to do to help the team win, thats what Im going to do."

Although there was plenty of offseason chatter about the Bears needing to add a pass-catching tight end in the same mold as Olsen, who was traded to the Carolina Panthers for a third-round pick before the start of the 2011 season, Spaeth expressed a lot of faith in fellow tight end Davis.

"I think Kellen is a tremendous, tremendous talent," Spaeth said. "Hes a freakish athlete. His best stuff is yet to come."

The Bears hope such is the case.

[URL]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-matt-spaeth-mike-tices-simplified-offense-a-boon-to-chicago-bears-20120523,0,4879612.story[/URL][/QUOTE]

jmo That was al Davis philosphy to be very simple on both sides of the ball. My great athletes will simply line up and beat your guys . The problem with that simple approach is you better have better players than the other team everywhere. That hard to do in today's game when there isn't that much disparity of talent from each team.

JMO I think the name of the game today is confusion not simplicity.
    Both offenses and defenses are so good that if they can know what your going to do they can pretty much devise something to beat it.

Case In point your going to line up with say the Ravens defense and dictate your will, by being simple on offense. My beast on oline going to move that Dline off the line of scrimmage. Good Luck with that.

Take the Jets defense outside of CB(they are superior to every team there) where else do the Jets have unbelievable talent on defense. That defense is one of the best due to Rex Ryan devising schemes that the offense not really sure what they are3 going to do. (it a game of chess between a OC and Rex ryan)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4477179]The simplified ground and pound offense will be great if we can physically win the one on one battle. If we face teams that we try and punch in the mouth who actually punch us in the mouth simple is going to be demoralizing.[/QUOTE]

Really doesn't matter if its a simplified O or not if the D stops you, does it? Either way you have to adjust and counter what the D is doing. Another thing ****ty wasn't good at.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4477186]Only if our guys actually can win the one on one battles. If they can't easier decision making will not help him succeed at all.[/QUOTE]

Exactly everything the jets do on offense will be dictated by how successful is their running game.(winning the matchup up front) They are able to establish the run and it opens the deep passing game. Teams take away that run now the Oline strength which isn't pass protection, become a bigger factor in the equation.