Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick take on QBs, Hill's vertical speed, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quick take on QBs, Hill's vertical speed, etc.

[QUOTE]Observations on OTA No. 3 (the first session open to the media):

1. Yes, Mark Sanchez outplayed Tim Tebow. So what? It's only May, and it's only OTAs. In the big picture, this means very little. It's almost laughable how some have jumped to conclusions. Chill, people. Frankly, Sanchez should outplay Tebow because he's a better thrower of the football and, with no live pass rush, that's all they're doing -- throwing.

2. There were some dropsies in the early portion of team drills. WR Jeremy Kerley let a well-thrown Sanchez pass sail through his hands, rookie WR Stephen Hill dropped a throw from Sanchez (had plenty of zip on it) and TE Dustin Keller dropped a Tebow pass. Keller rebounded with a diving catch on a Sanchez pass.

3. The play of the day was an 80-yard pass from Sanchez to Hill. The second-round pick got past CB Kyle Wilson on a fly pattern and turned on the jets. He was wide open and Sanchez hit him in stride. As Rex Ryan noted afterward, the Jets want to emphasize vertical passing this season. That's the Tony Sparano philosophy: Hammer them with the running game and hit 'em deep on play-action.

4. RB Shonn Greene is listed at 226 pounds, but it looks like he dropped a few. He ran with a little extra giddy-up. I even saw a little something out of Bilal Powell. Yeah, Powell.

5. The defense, which has three-plus years in Ryan's system, is way ahead of the offense, which is just learning Sparano's scheme. RG Brandon Moore noted how the defense showed a few wrinkles, including a "Bear" front and third-down pressures, forcing the offense to react quickly. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. On a couple of plays, Tebow was scrambling around the backfield, looking to escape an unblocked rusher.

6. You'd better be prepared for a summer-long battle, Nick Folk. Recently signed PK Josh Brown impressed at the end of practice, nailing five of six FGAs. His only miss came from 45 yards.

7. No doubt, LB Bart Scott, 12 pounds lighter than last season, is moving better in coverage. He made a nice interception on a Tebow pass.

8. Sparano is big on tempo. In practice, he's always preaching the offense to pick up the pace. You don't want to be the guy who slows down the rest of the group.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12620/quick-take-on-qbs-hills-vertical-speed-etc?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

Veteran
    Thanks for the summary.

My take on the QBs: easily the most jacked starter and backup tandem in the league. I know, being ripped doesn't make you an all pro QB (duh), but it is quite encouraging that these two obviously busted their arses in the offseason. Can't say they don't have the work ethic and/or are lazy, like many floated about Sanchez shortly after the season ended.

A lot of the Jets (Scott, Greene, etc.) looked to be physically ready for OTAs. Many players come to training camp out of shape. Again, doesn't make them great football players, but it's all about the work ethic. And it looks like a lot of the players have been busting it this offseason.

Before anyone calls this BS, if you have ever played football before, you would know this is true. You need to be dedicated and committed all year around. It does not mean the Jets are going to win it all, but it is an encouraging sign that many appear to have taken the right attitude in the offseason. After how last season ended, that is a very positive step.

two cents ends ...... now

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;4477078]Nice write up[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Green + White;4477123]Thanks for the summary.[/QUOTE]

You guys do know this is a Semeni article?

I'm starting to learn that whenever I read "the defense is ahead of the offense" it's because the offense just sucks. Last year reading camp reports I was just hoping the defense was just THAT good. But clearly that was not the case.

But hey, i'll give it time. Loving what I'm hearing from Sparano more and more. Really do think he'll make a difference. It's gonna be great to not see our guys line up and have to wait there and wait till all this shifting is done to snap the ball. Line up and play.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;4477196]I'm starting to learn that whenever I read "the defense is ahead of the offense" it's because the offense just sucks. Last year reading camp reports I was just hoping the defense was just THAT good. But clearly that was not the case.

But hey, i'll give it time. Loving what I'm hearing from Sparano more and more. Really do think he'll make a difference. It's gonna be great to not see our guys line up and have to wait there and wait till all this shifting is done to snap the ball. Line up and play.[/QUOTE]

While that could ultimately be true, I think there's legit reasons for a defense to be ahead of an offense at this time of year. Typically there's much more terminology and variability on the offensive side, and on top of that the Jets had to deal with Schotty's expansive playbook.

Now, they're learning the new Sparano offense, while the defense has only made minor changes since Rex came on board three years ago. So it does make some sense.

Or maybe I'd just rather believe that then think that the offense might suck (again).

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;4477196]I'm starting to learn that whenever I read "the defense is ahead of the offense" it's because the offense just sucks. Last year reading camp reports I was just hoping the defense was just THAT good. But clearly that was not the case.

But hey, i'll give it time. Loving what I'm hearing from Sparano more and more. Really do think he'll make a difference. It's gonna be great to not see our guys line up and have to wait there and wait till all this shifting is done to snap the ball. Line up and play.[/QUOTE]

The defense is ALWAYS ahead of the offense early on. Always at every level.
    The offense is based on timing and precision, the defense not.
    Plus, in fact, the Jets defense IS better than the offense. A top 8? defense versus a 16-18 offense.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4477069][url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12620/quick-take-on-qbs-hills-vertical-speed-etc?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url][/QUOTE]

"Bilal Powell. Yeah, Powell."

I am [U]very[/U] excited about the Jets' stable of young backs. All have good size, and all should be very hungry to produce.

42 Ganaway, Terrance RB 6-1 240 [B]23[/B]
    23 Greene, Shonn RB 5-11 226 [B]26[/B]
    25 McKnight, Joe RB 5-11 205 [B]24[/B]
    29 Powell, Bilal RB 5-10 204 [B]23[/B]

[QUOTE]
    1. Yes, Mark Sanchez outplayed Tim Tebow. So what? It's only May, and it's only OTAs. In the big picture, this means very little. It's almost laughable how some have jumped to conclusions. Chill, people. Frankly, Sanchez should outplay Tebow because he's a better thrower of the football and, with no live pass rush, that's all they're doing -- throwing.[/QUOTE]

Translation: I want to cover a QB controversy and I'll do whatever I need to do to make that happen

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4477210]While that could ultimately be true, I think there's legit reasons for a defense to be ahead of an offense at this time of year. Typically there's much more terminology and variability on the offensive side, and on top of that the Jets had to deal with Schotty's expansive playbook.

Now, they're learning the new Sparano offense, while the defense has only made minor changes since Rex came on board three years ago. So it does make some sense.

Or maybe I'd just rather believe that then think that the offense might suck (again).[/QUOTE]

I completely understand they're learning a new offense.

I'm just stating that like last year, we heard the same thing. This was before we knew the offense would be a total disaster. I just took it as our defense being THAT good. So it would give any offense trouble.

Then later found out our defense wasn't as good as advertised, and our terrible offense made them look elite in practice everyday.

Reallllllly can't wait to see what Hill does for us this year. He should get plenty of opportunities. Who's in his way? Schillens?

All Pro
    Love the fact that Sparano is big on tempo ... our O last year seemed very slow and ponderous to me, taking forever to get lined up, call the play etc.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4477147]You guys do know this is a Semeni article?[/QUOTE]
    Aye. And even though it's about football on the field.

[QUOTE=JamesR;4477583]Love the fact that Sparano is big on tempo ... our O last year seemed very slow and ponderous to me, taking forever to get lined up, call the play etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy about that too. I feel like 80% of the time we were breaking the huddle with 12 seconds left and then snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds on the play clock.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4477069]
    3. The play of the day was an 80-yard pass from Sanchez to Hill. The second-round pick got past CB Kyle Wilson on a fly pattern and turned on the jets. He was wide open and Sanchez hit him in stride. As Rex Ryan noted afterward, the Jets want to emphasize vertical passing this season. [B]That's the Tony Sparano philosophy: Hammer them with the running game and hit 'em deep on play-action.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Bingo. Exactly what Mark does well. What a novel concept, accenting a player's strengths. Schitty put him in the shotgun exposing his weaknesses. The Jets will be so much better without dinglenuts running the offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JamesR;4477583]Love the fact that Sparano is big on tempo ... our O last year seemed very slow and ponderous to me, taking forever to get lined up, call the play etc.[/QUOTE]

This

+1

many times i thought the jets offense was too slow, doing all that pre-snap crap, and it helped the defense more than the offense.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4477069][URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12620/quick-take-on-qbs-hills-vertical-speed-etc?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/URL][/QUOTE]

[B]4.[/B] RB [B]Shonn Greene[/B] is listed at 226 pounds, but it looks like he dropped a few. He ran with a little extra giddy-up. I even saw a little something out of [B]Bilal Powell[/B]. Yeah, Powell.

Contract year for Greene...Hopefully, that means he has been working his butt off this offseason and will be coming in TC in the best shape of his life..

And catching 250 passes a day from a jugs machine or QB would be nice too

[QUOTE=JB1089;4477730]I'm happy about that too. I feel like 80% of the time we were breaking the huddle with 12 seconds left and then snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds on the play clock.[/QUOTE]

Whats funny about this statement, is that the Sanchez haters love to say "he has trouble with pre-snap reads and more importantly can't find his second or third option."

Could it be that he HAD NO TIME to survey the coverage or find his second option? How many times did we see him gesturing to get the play in faster and add to that multiple line shifts and motion....how would he have time to read the coverage?

Seems like he didn't have a problem reading the defense and finding open WRs when he was in the 2 minute offense calling his own plays!

All Pro
    I am also very happy with drafting Hill, but before we get to excited we need to see how handles getting off the line in the pro's especially coming off triple option and how will he read defenses which will be very different in the NFL. Lets not put to much pressure because this is a kid who will be a rookie and lots to learn. Nobody in OTA's or 7 on 7 is scheming or jamming him.