Thread: Memorial Day

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Memorial Day

Before the inevitable discussion of what everyone is doing for the long weekend, I thought I would post an article I received in an email. Let's not forget that there are brave men and women sacrificing their lives for our great country.

God Bless.

[B]Tom Manion: Why They Serve—'If Not Me, Then Who?' [/B]
    [B][SIZE=5][B]After more than a decade of war, remarkable men and women are still stepping forward.[/B][/SIZE][/B]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I served in the military for 30 years. But it was impossible to fully understand the sacrifices of our troops and their families until April 29, 2007, the day my son, First Lt. Travis Manion, was killed in Iraq. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Travis was just 26 years old when an enemy sniper's bullet pierced his heart after he had just helped save two wounded comrades. Even though our family knew the risks of Travis fighting on the violent streets of Fallujah, being notified of his death on a warm Sunday afternoon in Doylestown, Pa., was the worst moment of our lives. While my son's life was relatively short, I spend every day marveling at his courage and wisdom. Before his second and final combat deployment, Travis said he wanted to go back to Iraq in order to spare a less-experienced Marine from going in his place. His words—"If not me, then who . . . "—continue to inspire me. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My son is one of thousands to die in combat since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Because of their sacrifices, as well as the heroism of previous generations, Memorial Day 2012 should have tremendous importance to our entire nation, with an impact stretching far beyond one day on the calendar. In Afghanistan, tens of thousands of American troops continue to sweat, fight and bleed. In April alone, 35 U.S. troops were killed there, including Army Capt. Nick Rozanski, 36, who made the difficult decision to leave his wife and children to serve our country overseas. "My brother didn't necessarily have to go to Afghanistan," Spc. Alex Rozanski, Nick's younger brother and fellow Ohio National Guard soldier, said. "He chose to because he felt an obligation." Sgt. Devin Snyder "loved being a girly-girl, wearing her heels and carrying her purses," according to her mother, Dineen Snyder. But Sgt. Snyder, 20, also took it upon herself to put on an Army uniform and serve in the mountains of northeastern Afghanistan as a military police officer. She was killed by an enemy roadside bomb, alongside three fellow soldiers and a civilian contractor, on June 4, 2011. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Daniel Douville was an explosive ordnance disposal technician, doing an incredibly dangerous job depicted in "The Hurt Locker." He was a loving husband and father of three children. "He was my best friend," his wife, LaShana Douville, said. "He was a good person." Douville, 33, was killed in a June 26, 2011, explosion in Afghanistan's Helmand province, where some of the fiercest fighting of the decade-long conflict continues to this day. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]When my son died in Iraq, his U.S. Naval Academy roommate, Brendan Looney, was in the middle of BUD/S (basic underwater demolition) training to become a Navy SEAL. Devastated by his good friend's death, Brendan called us in anguish, telling my wife and me that losing Travis was too much for him to handle during the grueling training regimen. Lt. Brendan Looney overcame his grief to become "Honor Man" of his SEAL class, and he served in Iraq before later deploying to Afghanistan. On Sept. 21, 2010, after completing 58 combat missions, Brendan died with eight fellow warriors when their helicopter crashed in Zabul province. He was 29. Brendan and Travis now rest side-by-side in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]"The friendship between First Lt. Travis Manion and Lt. Brendan Looney reflects the meaning of Memorial Day: brotherhood, sacrifice, love of country," President Obama said at Arlington on Memorial Day 2011. "And it is my fervent prayer that we may honor the memory of the fallen by living out those ideals every day of our lives, in the military and beyond." But the essence of our country, which makes me even prouder than the president's speech, is the way our nation's military families continue to serve. Even after more than a decade of war, these remarkable men and women are still stepping forward. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]As the father of a fallen Marine, I hope Americans will treat this Memorial Day as more than a time for pools to open, for barbecues or for a holiday from work. It should be a solemn day to remember heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice, and also a stark reminder that our country is still at war. For the Rozanskis, Snyders, Douvilles, Looneys and thousands more like us, every day is Memorial Day. If the rest of the nation joins us to renew the spirit of patriotism, service and sacrifice, perhaps America can reunite, on this day of reverence, around the men and women who risk their lives to defend it. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Col. Manion, USMCR (Ret.), is on the board of the Travis Manion Foundation, which assists veterans and the families of the fallen.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is pretty moving...

Best of the best.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fallen, and Only Ultimate Sacrifice.

[IMG]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2804/img0455so.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Apache 51; 05-25-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, for all the troops that have the courage to do what most of us never want to do. Thank you, for all the troops on JI. Heroes does not explain what type of people you guys are. Thank you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, emotional.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    May God watch over them all.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you vets

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen. Our country wouldn't be what it is today without the sacrifice of a brave few.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote]If not me, then who . . . [/quote]

Thank you to all the men and women that serve, have served and to all who are willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice for all Americans...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/America/AmericanFlagHalfStaff.gif[/IMG]
    [B][SIZE="5"]
    God bless our soldiers; past and present and future.

On this weekend, we honor those who have lost
    their lives defending the freedoms that we all enjoy.

On behalf of my entire family, we thank you all from
    the bottom of our hearts. You are true American heroes
    and the foundation that our wonderful country was built upon.

I also thank all of the family members that you have left behind.
    Your sacrifice was shared with them but your loss is felt by all.

So as our families gather together
    this weekend, we will say a prayer for you all.
    You will never be forgotten and we are proud of you.

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

THANK YOU!!!
    [/SIZE][/B]
    [IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/America/TomboftheUnknownSoldier.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/America/Vietnam-Veterans-Memorial1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/America/Vietnam-Veterans-Memorial-3.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam ..

It's November 11, 1967.
    LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
    Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
    You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!! Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
    He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure heard a whole bunch about Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan, Dr. Murray, that sicko Sandusky , and a 72- day sham marriage.

Shame on the media !!!

Medal of Honor Winner Captain Ed Freeman

Now... YOU pass this along.
    Honor this real hero.

Please.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who's Dr. Murray? :confused:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4480641]Who's Dr. Murray? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I had to google him, evidently he was Michael Jackson's personal physician. :eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4480641]Who's Dr. Murray? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Racist

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;4480636]You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam ..

It's November 11, 1967.
    LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
    Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
    You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!! Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
    He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure heard a whole bunch about Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan, Dr. Murray, that sicko Sandusky , and a 72- day sham marriage.

Shame on the media !!!

Medal of Honor Winner Captain Ed Freeman

Now... YOU pass this along.
    Honor this real hero.

Please.[/QUOTE]
    This is old, and Memorial day has nothing to do with this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    God bless all those who made the ultimate sacrifice

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just started watching The Pacific this Memorial Day weekend (already saw Band of Brothers) . . .

Adding my humble and heartfelt thanks to all the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives for our country . . . you are not forgotten