Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4-6 Defense

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 4-6 is a great d if you have the fs for it. Do we have the fs for it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4478120][B]Published: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 5:15 AM
    [/B]
    Karl Dunbar thinks he has it pretty good in his new gig as the Jets’ defensive line coach. He has two first-round picks, a pair of trusty veterans in Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito, and a supporting cast of young linemen with upside. He sees great potential for the Jets to mix up their fronts, moving players into spots where they’ll be most successful and throwing off opponents.

And one iteration that has Dunbar particularly excited? The 46 defense, invented by Buddy Ryan on the successful 1980s Bears teams and carried on by Rex Ryan. Dunbar said the Jets used the formation “a bunch” last year and plan to use it even more — “as much as we can” — in 2012.

“We’re going to play a lot of that 46 defense,” Dunbar said with a grin. “You get in that 46 defense, you’re going to get a lot of one-on-one blocks, and when we put athletic guys on the field, bad things happen for the offense.”

The 46 defense is one variation of a 4-3 front, with four down linemen and eight men in the box. Dunbar has a long history with it, dating back to his days as a defensive lineman for the Arizona Cardinals from 1994-95, when Buddy Ryan was his head coach and Rex was his position coach.

He can’t wait to coach it here with the Jets, particularly because he feels like it’s a perfect fit for their personnel.

The Jets have used a base 3-4 front under Ryan, but they’ve always mixed and matched schemes and personnel groupings. They have used many calls with four down linemen and many in the 46 defense.

Their selection of Quinton Coples, a defensive end out of North Carolina, 16th overall, may allow them to use even more fronts with four down linemen. Dunbar pointed out that the Jets often used four-down fronts last year, but outside linebackers Calvin Pace and Aaron Maybin were at the ends. Now, Coples can be on the edge, with Pouha, Kenrick Ellis or Muhammad Wilkerson inside, he said.

[B]The objective will be to put players in spots where they can be most successful, and they’ll be “a little mixture of it all.” And Dunbar believes the plan will include a lot of the 46 defense.[/B]

“As much as our guys do well in it, you’re going to see it,” said Dunbar, who coached stars like Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams in the past six seasons with the Vikings. “We put in the 46 today, and coach was telling the front we still call it the 46 because of his daddy, and we’re going to play it the way his daddy taught it.”

[B]Dunbar continued to explain: “It’s attack, it’s getting up the field, we’re not holding blocks. Every man for himself, we’re going to get to the quarterback.”

Dunbar explained that the “bear front” associated with the 46 defense gives offenses fits because the offensive linemen have to block defenders one on one, instead of double teaming or zone blocking. Passes come out more quickly as a result, and if the opponent does look to throw deep, Dunbar said the Jets have an advantage because of their two elite cornerbacks.[/B] [B]

Dunbar believes Coples is “an awesome fit” for the 46 defense. He said Coples could line up as a “3-technique,” which is over the outside shoulder of the guard, or as a defensive end. He also sees Coples used as a “wide nine,” a pure pass-rushing spot outside the tight end.[/B]

When Coples was still on the board in the first round of last month’s draft, Dunbar perked up. Coples’ 6-6, 285-pound frame and 4.7 speed offer a unique skill set, and Dunbar said he didn’t worry about his production dropping from 10 sacks as a junior to 7½ as a senior.

“I don’t see a problem with that,” Dunbar said. “I saw a great athlete, and he’s going to get a chance to show who he is. From the things I’ve seen in the three days of practice and mini-camp we had, I’m loving every minute.”

[B]And he’s loving every minute, too, of coaching the 46 defense he once played nearly two decades ago.

“And it’s still working,” he said. “I think when you’ve got the right pieces of the puzzle in, it’s a great defense.”[/B]

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_defensive_line_coach_karl.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Awesome read. Thank you.

---
    I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mik0q1[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4478859]The 4-6 prolly won't be the base D as the spread offense will shred it if Jets stick to it in prolonged periods. But used judiciously from time to time to confuse qb's and teams which already look vulnerable to it, it could pay dividends.

Now Jets D personnel certainly seem to have the tools to pull it off for big plays. We'll soon see. Can't wait!![/QUOTE]

I mentioned this in a previous thread....we can't forget that the "46" is a formation not a personnel group. The NFL is a passing league now, and while it is still important to stop the run, you also have to defend the short passing game.

So when we think of the "46" lets think of it more like the TCU 4-2-5 defense that they have been running with huge success in college. All we would be doing is playing 4 lineman and 4 "men" in the box, they don't have to necessarily be LBs...we can easily run this defense with 4 DL, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs, especially when Pace can play OLB or DE, with Coples shifting to DT. Plus, Kyle Wilson, for all the heat he takes on this board for his coverage, is actually a pretty good tackler, and can handle a slot position "in the box" along with yerimah bell and make our defense very unique.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanna know about the 46??

[url]https://www.coacheschoice.com/m-179-rex-ryan.aspx[/url]

Straight from Rex too!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanna see this defense rise again.Combine this 46 front with Tony Dungy's cover 2 and tell me that the WCO can defeat it.Now i realize that to the naked eye,the cover employs 2 deep safeties and a MLber running deep down the middle while the 46 calls for a safety up on the LOS causing a problem.

How can u have 2 safeties running the deep middle and another safety at the LOS with a middle LBer running the deep middle.If you have safeties that are capable of playing like LBers(Landry,Bell, Allen & Smith)you can now move this player from the Mike to the LOS,and then drop him back into the deep middle.I think the fact that the Jets are making their Lbers lose weight combine with the size and speed of some of the new ILBes(Davis,Dowtin) is evident of this and also,the size and speed of some of our New safeties speaks to this.

I can't wait to see how these guys impliment this and how it actually works.Going to take alot of practice,but it could be fun.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 05-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good breakdown by Bucky Brooks from NFL.com on the 46 defense.. I'm liking the coples pick more and more.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d8296be13/Jets-to-use-famed-46-defense-in-2012"]http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d8296be13/Jets-to-use-famed-46-defense-in-2012[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not "4-6" its "46". Just a friendly FYI to those who make that common mistake.

Listening to the Pettine interview I was relieved to hear that the Jets have the package but are not going to feature it anymore than they would normally do. The 46 defense is nice but it is has some flaws. It leaves teams susceptible to the outside run, an area the Jets struggled with last year.

The Jets really do not have a standard base defense. The play a wide variation of fronts. As Rex likes to put it, they are "multiple". Gives teams a lot to prepare for.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone who says the 46 is "outdated" or "Spread offenses will destroy the 46" or, "west coast, Bill Walsh"

46 is a front. It's an alignment! That doesn't mean we're going man to man everytime. Rex will mix in some zone blitzes etc. We'll come out in 46 fronts vs spread offense but we'll match personnel. Rex ain't stupid, he won't have LB's covering WRs. We're going to make offenses think "get it out quick", we're going to make O linemen think "Oh sh*t, they're bringing 7".

I can't wait to have a record setting D this year!!
    Last edited by endgameeugenics; 05-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=endgameeugenics;4480328]Rex ain't stupid, he won't have LB's covering WRs. We're going to make offenses think "get it out quick", we're going to make O linemen think "Oh sh*t, they're bringing 7".

[B][I]I can't wait to have a record setting D this year!![/I][/B][/QUOTE]

The reason I'm thinking about going out on a limb and drafting the JETS D 2nd or 3rd round in my fantasy league draft...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4478397]The WCo offense basically made what was a great defense 46 defense obsolete. Bill Walsh showed everyone had to beat that defense.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. Walsh began developing the west coast when he was with Cincinnati in 1970 when a strong armed QB by the name of Greg Cook got hurt and was replaced with a weak armed QB named Virgil Carter. It was not developed to beat the 46 per se.