Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Dallas Cowboys still America's team...ranked#1 by fan poll

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dallas Cowboys still America's team...ranked#1 by fan poll

Apparently ESPN has an annual poll of a national sampling of fans to rank teams in the order of popularity. This year the Cowboys are #1, followed by the Packers, Giants, Steelers, and Pats. Jets are ranked #19. I thought the Pats at #5 are particularly interesting given all the claims, recent and past, that the "far majority" of fans think the Pats' accomplishments are tainted. I'm sure the local explaination will be all this proves is America loves a cheater.

Every few months or so, we come across a survey that claims to have determined who is the NFL's most popular team.

We always figured this was just a way to rile up Dallas Cowboys fans (this is not difficult), a notable example coming last December when a poll found that the Packers had discount-double checked the Cowboys out of the title of "America's Team."

But in the latest study to hit the mainstream, the Cowboys have gotten their mojo back. According to ESPN Sports Polls, 8.8 percent of fans root for Big D on Sunday, good for No. 1 on the list.

According to ESPN, Pollsters conduct 1,500 monthly telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of Americans age 12 and older. They have reached 390,000 Americans since 1994 via land lines and cell phones, in English and Spanish.

The Packers came in second with 7.2 percent of the vote, with the New York Giants (7.1), Pittsburgh Steelers (7.1) and New England Patriots (6.8) rounding out the top five.

We have a feeling Shahid Khan won't like what he sees here, as it appears the poor Jaguars will be going stag to prom again this year. In a related story, Justin Blackmon has called his agent three times since the beginning of this story to find out if he can file for free agency.

So what can we take from this list? Well, winning Super Bowls will certainly boost your popularity. The Packers, Giants and Steelers have all hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in the last five years, while the Patriots have won three rings and appeared in two more Super Bowls in the past decade.

The Cowboys haven't sniffed the Big Game since the 1995 season, but they've undoubtedly been helped along by history and an unending parade of primetime showcases. And as much as Dallas fans hate to hear it, kudos to supporters of the Eagles, who cracked the top 10 without a single Super Bowl triumph.

That is what you call a backhanded compliment

full chart is linked:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas Sucks!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to see we've shed the bandwagoners!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bandwagoners. What I thought, too. Hello Patsiefans!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't care less. Being popular in a nationwide sense just means you have a bunch of bandwagon jumping frauds who say they're fans of your team.

Went to college with a Cowboys fan from New York and a Steelers fan from New Jeresey. Also knew a Chicago Bulls fan from Pennsylvania. Some guys are just born that way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't this have some correlation to ticket prices Woodster? Face value of a 4th row 50 yardline ticket for the supposedly much more popular Eagles is $95. I don't think even our highest heaven seats can be had for that price.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for them