Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparano vs Schottenheimer

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sparano vs Schottenheimer

[URL="http://www.nyjetsoverthepond.com/home/2012/5/24/sparano-vs-schottenheimer-same-old-jets-or-a-brand-new-start.html"]http://www.nyjetsoverthepond.com/home/2012/5/24/sparano-vs-schottenheimer-same-old-jets-or-a-brand-new-start.html[/URL]

[B][SIZE="3"]Sparano vs. Schottenheimer: Same Old Jets or a Brand New Start?[/SIZE][/B]

In the Jets upcoming season there are a lot of positives to look forward to. Some fans will say that the revamped defense that will most certainly increase the pass rush is the biggest positive. Others will say getting much needed weapons on offense including Stephen Hill and Tim Tebow is the biggest positive. On the other hand there are fans that will say that the biggest positive going into this season is a subtraction rather than an addition.

Although losing questionable players such as Plaxico Burress is a very positive step, I am instead talking about a coach. This particular coach has been torn apart by fans and the media alike for the past few years, of course I am referring to former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

The day that Schottenheimer was stripped of his duties in New York the fan base rejoiced and many compared it to a second Christmas, including myself. Fans were overjoyed with the idea that one of the main problems holding back this struggling offense was finally free to hamper another organization. Not soon later the news broke that his incumbent would be none other than former Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano. When he was officially signed there was a split reaction between confusion and happiness. There were even a select few who said that keeping Schottenheimer would have been a better option. Each man has glaring positives and negatives but the question is did the Jets make the right decision?

Brian Schottenheimer, son of Marty Schottenheimer began his coaching career in 1997 after graduatingfrom the University of Florida. Being the son of a coach the path was basically set for Brian to follow in his father’s footsteps. Right after Schottenheimer graduated he latched on with the St Louis Rams which is where he currently resides. It’s fitting that he may very well end his days where he started them, deciphering if that is a positive or negative statement is still to be determined.

He had the tendency early in his career to only stay with an organization for a year. In 1998 it was with his father on the Kansas City Chiefs, 1999 with Syracuse, 2000 with Southern California, then back with his father in 2001 with the Washington Redskins as the quarterbacks coach. The following year he remained with his father becoming the San Diego Chargers quarterback coach. The reason all these mentions of his father are important is that fact that many of Brian’s coaching opportunities may have not happened without him. There is no denying that his father is responsible for most of his career employment.

After his tenure in San Diego ended in 2005 Brian was promoted to the highest position of his career, offensive coordinator for the New York Jets. In Brian’s first season with the Jets the team posted an impressive 10-6 record with their leader Chad Pennington as the Comeback Player of the Year. Schottenheimer is a quarterback oriented coach so this award further justified his selection as offensive coordinator. The following two years the Jets failed to reach the post season and as a result coach Eric Mangini was fired. Schottenheimer stayed on and quickly started forming a relationship with Rex Ryan.

The first two years with Rex Ryan were great for Schottenheimer’s confidence and it helped the team post a record of 24-14 record including back to back AFC Championship games. Even though the Jets were doing great things as an organization a fan could tell there was something wrong. The play calling seemed irregular and even confusing at times. It was said by players across the league that the play calling was so predictable that the defense would actually announce the play before the ball was even snapped.

The fans were getting tired of the predictable play calling and subpar selection, something had to change. It is hard to replace an offensive coordinator after they helped you reach back to back AFC Championship games, so the 8-8 finish last season was what the Jets needed to make the release happen.

Tony Sparano has been coaching since 1984, two years after he graduated from the University of New Haven where he was a four year letterman. Sparano played center while in college so the obvious choice was to coach the offensive line for his alma mater. Sparano stayed in the college ranks for 14 years serving as offensive line coach, offensive coordinator, and head coach before going to the Browns in 1999.

Sparano has served at many positions since entering the National Football League including offensive quality control, offensive line coach, tight ends coach, assistant head coach, head coach, and currently offensive coordinator. Sparano started off very strong as a head coach helping his team to a ten game turnaround in his first year which is an NFL record. This success did not stay for very long and as a head coach he ended up posting a record of 29-32 including 1 playoff loss in his time with the Miami Dolphins.

After looking at the back story the question still remains did the Jets make the right choice? Each man has similar stories and backgrounds, but what are the positives and negatives that make one man better than the other. There are so many different aspects that go into making a good coach and each man has distinct traits that the other is missing. Examining their traits is the best thing to do to see who has the better chance to succeed.

The first factor that makes a great coach is experience. Sparano wins this battle with ease based on years served, but strangely enough both men have exactly the same years of NFL service. College football is very different than the NFL so although Sparano has been coaching for thirteen more years this category is somewhat of a tie. Experience is not only about years served it is also about mastering different aspects of the profession.

There are many positions on offense and having a good grasp on all of them is what makes the difference between good and great coordinators. Tony Sparano is the clear cut favorite when discussing variation of skills. While Schottenheimer solely has experience as a quarterbacks coach before rising to the ranks of offensive coordinator, Sparano has experience with the offensive line and tight ends. The presence of a two tight end set is something the Jets have been lacking so with Sparano this situation can only get better. Having one of Schottenheimer’s “favorities” Matthew Mulligan was definitely not the answer and now that he is gone it opens the door for great tight ends to emerge.

A huge part of being an offensive coordinator is the ability to call plays. Even though his play selection may have been unorthodox at times, Schottenheimer has years of experience calling plays. Sparano on the other hand only called plays for one year in 2006 for the Dallas Cowboys. Even though he was still the offensive line coach and assistant coach the following year he turned over his play calling which is concerning. Sparano has a lot of work to put in if he wants to be a play caller in the NFL especially with the “what have you done for me lately” Jets fans.

The real question that looms is would it be better to have an offensive coordinator who is predictable and calls questionable plays or one who barely has any experience. This is an issue much like others between these two men that can only be decided in time. The positive about not knowing a lot about play calling is the playbook will be much simpler to master. Joe McKnight for example was quoted as saying he is relieved about the new playbook.

The quarterback play will be more important than ever in this upcoming season. Although Sanchez’snumbers have gone up every year, his decision making seems to be at a standstill. The one obvious positive that Schottenheimer has over Sparano is his experience with quarterbacks. The fact that he was one in college made the relationship very easy with his players. Sparano needs to form this same relationship or there is a chance that Sanchez and Tebow may have a drop in play. With questionable quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh coming back for another year, Tony Sparano has to pick up even more slack. This aspect of the job will make or break Sparano’s rookie season because the quarterback is the player that needs to progress the most for New York to be successful.

Attitude is everything when it comes to coaching in the NFL. If you do not have a positive attitude your team will be doomed to fail. The way you address your team will greatly affect how they play. Brian Schottenheimer had a very passive attitude and due to this he completely lost the team last year. You can see that his discipline of his players was so detrimental to the point that Santonio Holmes had a hissy fit on the field. If your offense is not on the same page nothing good with come from it. When people think of the Jets last year I am sure that scene of Santonio Holmes pouting on the bench plays over and over in their heads.

Tony Sparano is a no nonsense kind of guy which is exactly what this team needs. He seems to be rubbing off on Rex Ryan who is reported to having a more hands on approach with the offense. There is a time to play and a time to work and Sparano makes it known that the players are there to work. You want your team to know that they need to improve and sometime constructive criticism is a new way to do this. Dustin Keller, Joe McKnight, and Josh Baker for example have already came out and told the media that hiring Tony Sparano is exactly what the team needed. The best quote to describe Sparano came from Baker in which he said

“This offense is a hard-nosed, tough-running, downhill kind of game, his persona is like his scheme.”

Based on these words alone there is a sense that great things are on the horizon for this team.

Everything in life is shown to us in time and this offensive coordinator battle is no different. There are two sides and two men who are completely different. Depending on the situation either man could be better or worse than the other one. The St. Louis Rams may need a passive coordinator who focuses on the quarterback position first and foremost.

The Jets on the other hand need a man who can come in here and let his voice be heard because they are lacking leadership in the locker-room. They need a man who has experience at numerous positions on the offense and is not afraid to use his weapons. They need a man who will not run on 3rd and long because they think the punt is inevitable. They need a man who is not predictable and keeps the defense guessing. They need a man whose passing attack does not rely on five yard slants. They need a man like Tony Sparano.

Jets Insider VIP
    tl;dr

Hall Of Fame
    summary:

I am soooo ****ing glad to be rid of that idiot.

Jets Insider VIP
    thank god he's gone

poor sam bradford, you are doomed

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=sg3;4478710]thank god he's gone

poor sam bradford, you are doomed[/QUOTE]

You know sg3 your post raised a thought for me.

2 "Young up & coming Qb's" who many (football talking heads) have proclaimed as having a brighter future & more upside then Mark Sanchez had terrible sophmore seasons last year and yet you have not heard much about it in comparison to the ripping Mark Sanchez has taken - even before the trade for Tebow.

Sam Bradford & Josh Freeman - Bradford starting only 10 games (6TD's & 6 INT's) with the Rams going 2-14 last year and Freeman starting 15 games with the Bucs going 4-12 last year with 16 TD's & 22 INT's.

Mark Sanchez threw 26 TD's & 18 INT's and the Jets finished 8-8 last season - the worst record we have had since Sanchez has been the starting QB & I won't even get into Sanchez's post-season accomplishments in comparison to Freeman & Bradford's because there is no comparison.

I am glad we have Mark Sanchez over the other 2 and I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-27-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4478736]You know sg3 your post raises a thought for me.

2 "Young up & coming Qb's" who many (football talking heads) have proclaimed as having a brighter future & more upside then Mark Sanchez had terrible sophmore seasons last year and yet you have not heard much about it in comparison to the ripping Mark Sanchez has taken - even before the trade for Tebow.

Sam Bradford & Josh Freeman - Bradford starting only 10 games (6TD's & 6 INT's) with the Rams going 2-14 last year and Freeman starting 15 games with the Bucs going 4-12 last year with 16 TD's & 22 INT's.

Mark Sanchez threw 26 TD's & 18 INT's and the Jets finished 8-8 last season - the worst record we have had since Sanchez has been the starting QB & I won't even get into Sanchez's post-season accomplishments in comparison to Freeman & Bradford's because there is no comparison.

I am glad we have Mark Sanchez over the other 2 and I'll just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

+1
    Media in New York is brutal. #6 is my QB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=freestater;4478708]summary:

I am soooo ****ing glad to be rid of that idiot.[/QUOTE]

Well said

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=IX 7 III;4478738]+1
    Media in New York is brutal. #6 is my QB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

+1000

the Dick Semen-i and SOJF exacta is a tough combo to battle against

Last season around game 10 the brutal media was screaming for the firing of Coughlin

Banned
    Sparano vs. Schotttenheimer

One is a worthless f*cking POS who has no business being in the NFL.

The other is Tony Sparano.

Rookie
    I was one of the happiest people the night I found out about Schotty's defection. Prior to that I had considered assassination.

However, that said, you heard it here first:

Sam Bradford will have his best year this year under Schottenheimer. His offense utilizes horizontal space, tempo, and quick short passes, just like any spread offense so widely-used in college and specifically at Oklahoma.

[QUOTE=Braumeister;4478879]Sparano vs. Schotttenheimer

One is a worthless f*cking POS who has no business being in the NFL.

The other is Tony Sparano.[/QUOTE]

Going along these same lines...

One is Schitty,

The other is a football coach.

[QUOTE=Jasper17;4478884]I was one of the happiest people the night I found out about Schotty's defection. Prior to that I had considered assassination.

However, that said, you heard it here first:

Sam Bradford will have his best year this year under Schottenheimer. His offense utilizes horizontal space, tempo, and quick short passes, just like any spread offense so widely-used in college and specifically at Oklahoma.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, that while schotty was a complete disaster here (mainly for not tailoring the offense to sanchez' strengths) bradford's skill set is ideal for a schotty offense. He is tall and accurate on short/intermediate throws which is all schotty likes to do.

More importantly, I thought Sparano had play calling duties in Miami, at least for one of the years? Having only 1 season of play calling is a bit concerning, especially with cavanaugh as QB coach (did he call plays in baltimore when he was OC?) but hopefully it isn't a problem.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4478948]I have to agree, that while schotty was a complete disaster here (mainly for not tailoring the offense to sanchez' strengths) bradford's skill set is ideal for a schotty offense. He is tall and accurate on short/intermediate throws which is all schotty likes to do.

More importantly, I thought Sparano had play calling duties in Miami, at least for one of the years? Having only 1 season of play calling is a bit concerning, especially with cavanaugh as QB coach (did he call plays in baltimore when he was OC?) but hopefully it isn't a problem.[/QUOTE]

I thought he had more experience as well. How the hell did he get a head coaching job? At least he put up some pretty good numbers the one year. 4th in points, 5th in yards, 2nd in 1st downs. Considering he had Drew Bledsoe for 6 games and then basically a rookie QB, it's pretty reassuring.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4478736]You know sg3 your post raised a thought for me.

[B]Mark Sanchez threw 26 TD's & 18 INT's and the Jets finished 8-8 last season - the worst record we have had since Sanchez has been the starting QB & I won't even get into Sanchez's post-season accomplishments in comparison to Freeman & Bradford's because there is no comparison.
    [/B]
    I am glad we have Mark Sanchez over the other 2 and I'll just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Arod, that paragraph is a little misleading. The truth is, Sanchez had as many turnovers as TD's in 2011 and he also failed miserably in the last 3 games when the season was on the line.

I'll admit if it weren't for the horrible last 3 games of the season that Sanchez had, his numbers would have likely been much more respectable. But that line of thinking is irrelevant, the fact is, he did have 3 bad games to close out the season and it did cost the Jets their season.

For me, the addition of Sparano will just bring a lot more focus and clarity on the QB spot. Sanchez apologists make no bones about blaming everyone, including god, for Sanchez's failures. Critics contend that all of the bad that occurred with Sanchez cannot possibly be all Schotty's fault.

I happen to believe it's a lot of both. I think Sanchez feels entitled based on all the A$$ kissing Rex Ryan has spent time doing. Sanchez started to believe all of the praise that Rex was giving him and didn't work to prove it on the field. Schotty was just a f*cking disaster who did nothing but aggravate an already bad situation.

Sanchez still has a very long way to go to become a good QB. I still question if Sanchez is capable of reading defenses. I think he needs to work on ball security. I think he needs to work on his accuracy, among many other things.

But I am excited about having Sparano around. Once and for all, we'll be able to see if the offenses problems are due to Sanchez or if they were problematic due to Schotty not knowing how to do his job.

I have never been a big fan of shotty.... I recognize that he did some things well, but overall, he seemed to come up short in many areas.....

Thought his play calling was streaky and lacked tempo.... always left defense out to dry with quick 3 and outs... Worst team in league when Jets defense forced a turnover..... His offensive unit would come on field and seemed lost and disorganized...... He could be creative, but too a fault..
    His team didn't always seem to buy into his calls..

He put together some real nice game plans and nice drives.. but his overalll impact on Jets was a negative in my mind..

Sparano is a Teacher, Motivator, Coach... He will command respect and no question will be the Leader on that side of ball. He will hold players accountable and feel that they will be a more more effective unit..... They will not play scared... they will attack.... They will use the weapons that they have.. run the ball. play action pass, stretch field and in red zone, what out for no. 15...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4478991]Arod, that paragraph is a little misleading. The truth is, Sanchez had as many turnovers as TD's in 2011 and he also failed miserably in the last 3 games when the season was on the line.

I'll admit if it weren't for the horrible last 3 games of the season that Sanchez had, his numbers would have likely been much more respectable. But that line of thinking is irrelevant, the fact is, he did have 3 bad games to close out the season and it did cost the Jets their season.

For me, the addition of Sparano will just bring a lot more focus and clarity on the QB spot. Sanchez apologists make no bones about blaming everyone, including god, for Sanchez's failures. Critics contend that all of the bad that occurred with Sanchez cannot possibly be all Schotty's fault.

I happen to believe it's a lot of both. I think Sanchez feels entitled based on all the A$$ kissing Rex Ryan has spent time doing. Sanchez started to believe all of the praise that Rex was giving him and didn't work to prove it on the field. Schotty was just a f*cking disaster who did nothing but aggravate an already bad situation.

Sanchez still has a very long way to go to become a good QB. I still question if Sanchez is capable of reading defenses. I think he needs to work on ball security. I think he needs to work on his accuracy, among many other things.

But I am excited about having Sparano around. Once and for all, we'll be able to see if the offenses problems are due to Sanchez or if they were problematic due to Schotty not knowing how to do his job.[/QUOTE]

Yea Maine, Sanchez did have 3 bad games to close out the season but it wasn't all on him either - the team had 3 bad games.

The defense couldn't get off the field and make stops when they needed to, special teams was nothing to rave about, the WR's/TE's weren't catching balls that were catchable and the RB's weren't busting any long runs in large part because of the subpar run-blocking of the O-Line.

I agree Sanchez had 3 bad games to close out the season, but, so did the rest of the team.

Now, all that being said, I'll still take Sanchez over Freeman or Bradford.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4479020]Yea Maine, Sanchez did have 3 bad games to close out the season but it wasn't all on him either - the team had 3 bad games.

The defense couldn't get off the field and make stops when they needed to, special teams was nothing to rave about, the WR's/TE's weren't catching balls that were catchable and the RB's weren't busting any long runs in large part because of the subpar run-blocking of the O-Line.

I agree Sanchez had 3 bad games to close out the season, but, so did the rest of the team.

Now, all that being said, I'll still take Sanchez over Freeman or Bradford.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

As everyone here knows I was & still am a Shotty hater. I knew that for the Jets to get rid of him we needed a bad year & we got it with the entire offense finally imploding, the defense finally unable to keep from pointing fingers & Woody giving in to the hangmans noose & letting Rex pull the trigger.

Shottys passing offense is a ***** offense that consistantly leaves Olineman
    with no help. Plus his offenses for whatever reason always seem unprepared & the "details" are always missing.

Sparano is the perfect elixer, with a mix of toughness & attention to detail. He won't be afraid to let Sanchez challenge on deeper playaction routes. Shotty killed whatever confidence & moxie Sanchez had, Sparano will be building it back.

Parcells loves this guy, that's all I need to know. Now the Jets have 3 very experienced coordinators in Westhoff, Rex & now Tony. Rex won't have to baby sit anymore & I can guarantee you that Sanchez won't be putting gay unicorns on Sparanos computer screen.

Jets clubhouse was way too lax & adding idiots like Plaxico & Mason didn't help. It's time to become that team that noone wants to play. It's time for the Jets to punch somebody in the mouth. It's time to have both Rex & Tony strolling the sidelines with determined looks fist pumping great plays on both sides of the ball for a change.

Can't Wait

Jets Insider VIP
    [B][QUOTE=jetster;4479070]

Sparano is the perfect elixer, with a mix of toughness & attention to detail. He won't be afraid to let Sanchez challenge on deeper playaction routes. Shotty killed whatever confidence & moxie Sanchez had, Sparano will be building it back.

Parcells loves this guy, that's all I need to know. Now the Jets have 3 very experienced coordinators in Westhoff, Rex & now Tony. Rex won't have to baby sit anymore & I can guarantee you that Sanchez won't be putting gay unicorns on Sparanos computer screen.

Jets clubhouse was way too lax & adding idiots like Plaxico & Mason didn't help. It's time to become that team that noone wants to play. It's time for the Jets to punch somebody in the mouth. It's time to have both Rex & Tony strolling the sidelines with determined looks fist pumping great plays on both sides of the ball for a change.

Can't Wait[/QUOTE][/B]

I couldn't agree more with what you said......

I too Can't Wait!!!!

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4478991]Arod, that paragraph is a little misleading. The truth is, Sanchez had as many turnovers as TD's in 2011 and he also failed miserably in the last 3 games when the season was on the line.

But I am excited about having Sparano around. Once and for all, we'll be able to see if the offenses problems are due to Sanchez or if they were problematic due to Schotty not knowing how to do his job.[/QUOTE]

People forget things (Sanchez's performance during playoffs) quickly and you are one of them. He had a mediocre season when many other things were wrong to include: turmoil in the locker room, Mangold's injury, many dropped passes, a weak OL and a questionable game-calling from the OC.

I believe Sanchez will blossom this year under Saprano. With that said, you need to get off Sanchez's dik once for all!
    Last edited by Sports; 05-28-2012 at 03:39 PM.