Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparano vs Schottenheimer

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetster;4479070]As everyone here knows I was & still am a Shotty hater. I knew that for the Jets to get rid of him we needed a bad year & we got it with the entire offense finally imploding, the defense finally unable to keep from pointing fingers & Woody giving in to the hangmans noose & letting Rex pull the trigger.

Shottys passing offense is a ***** offense that consistantly leaves Olineman
    with no help. Plus his offenses for whatever reason always seem unprepared & the "details" are always missing.

Sparano is the perfect elixer, with a mix of toughness & attention to detail. He won't be afraid to let Sanchez challenge on deeper playaction routes. Shotty killed whatever confidence & moxie Sanchez had, Sparano will be building it back.

Parcells loves this guy, that's all I need to know. Now the Jets have 3 very experienced coordinators in Westhoff, Rex & now Tony. Rex won't have to baby sit anymore & I can guarantee you that Sanchez won't be putting gay unicorns on Sparanos computer screen.

Jets clubhouse was way too lax & adding idiots like Plaxico & Mason didn't help. It's time to become that team that noone wants to play. It's time for the Jets to punch somebody in the mouth. It's time to have both Rex & Tony strolling the sidelines with determined looks fist pumping great plays on both sides of the ball for a change.

Can't Wait[/QUOTE]
    me too.......

Here is my problem. Miami Dolphins coach Sparano, king of the running game.

The phins have been 14th, 22nd, 4th and 11th the last 4 years.
    The Jets have been 22nd, 4th, 1st, 9th the last 4 years.

I have no problem with change in the OC it was totally necessary, I just don't think Sparano has been that great at the things he's supposed to be great at over the last number of years.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4479020]Yea Maine, Sanchez did have 3 bad games to close out the season but it wasn't all on him either - the team had 3 bad games.

The defense couldn't get off the field and make stops when they needed to, special teams was nothing to rave about, the WR's/TE's weren't catching balls that were catchable and the RB's weren't busting any long runs in large part because of the subpar run-blocking of the O-Line.

I agree Sanchez had 3 bad games to close out the season, but, so did the rest of the team.

Now, all that being said, I'll still take Sanchez over Freeman or Bradford.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Sanchez gets a clean slate and a fresh start with Sparano. From OTA reports he seems to be proving his mettle and appears highly motivated to succeed this year.

Wouldn't change Sanchez for either Freeman or Bradford. Happy that Shoddy's gone, now he can be someone else's problems. Poor bastids.

Good bye and good riddance to bad luck.

How come the media isn't all over Josh Freeman for having the year he had??? Oh yea the media hates the Jets...

As I said in a previous thread I think Schotty is a good OC. Just not a good fit with the Jets....It was a bad mix even Chad was here. The reason why Mangini hired Schotty is that the Pats had problems with an offense that had shifts and motions...we are that team we need to be more vertical and run the ball more...

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4479140]Here is my problem. Miami Dolphins coach Sparano, king of the running game.

The phins have been 14th, 22nd, 4th and 11th the last 4 years.
    The Jets have been 22nd, 4th, 1st, 9th the last 4 years.

I have no problem with change in the OC it was totally necessary, I just don't think Sparano has been that great at the things he's supposed to be great at over the last number of years.[/QUOTE] Sparano never developed a qb in Miami,or an o-line and watching the phins play I never remember them throwing the ball deep .Except last year after the 0-7 start when he admitted he needed to give up control of the offense to Daboll. The media can shine up Sparano all they want,Sparano is not the answer

Hall Of Fame
    We shall see.

I like Sparano but he is somewhat unproven as an OC. But I think he will work well with Rex and I like that he has HC experience.

The accountability and "in your face" approach is appealing right now b.c it is a complete 180 from Schitty. But it will wear thin if things get off to a slow start. Players are pampered prima donnas these days. They don't like to look in the mirror and blame themselves. He is going to make them do that.

[QUOTE=auctionking;4479274]Sparano never developed a qb in Miami,or an o-line and watching the phins play I never remember them throwing the ball deep .Except last year after the 0-7 start when he admitted he needed to give up control of the offense to Daboll. The media can shine up Sparano all they want,Sparano is not the answer[/QUOTE]

Sparano never called plays in Miami. Dan Henning and Daboll did..he called plays in Dallas under Parcells....

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4479275]We shall see.

I like Sparano but he is somewhat unproven as an OC. But I think he will work well with Rex and I like that he has HC experience.

The accountability and "in your face" approach is appealing right now b.c it is a complete 180 from Schitty. But it will wear thin if things get off to a slow start. Players are pampered prima donnas these days. They don't like to look in the mirror and blame themselves. He is going to make them do that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah, we know. Nothing new here.

Before the end of last season, the Jets lockerroom overall was of rather rather high character. To put the "prima donna" label on this Jets team as a whole is a bit naive. You can surely make valid arguments about some select players, but I can't think of any players be cause for concern with Sparano's style.

While Sparano will demand accountability, his work in Miami is proof he not only can have a positive affect on players with his style, but he can also have a profound affect on players who are questionable character players, his work alone and affect with Brandon Marshal is noteworthy. Sparano had a big effect on many players in that Miami lockerroom, and the team as a whole. There is another thread that talks about Sparano's in your face style, but that he also has the capacity to understand when to pull the reigns back a bit.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-29-2012 at 12:31 AM.

[QUOTE=auctionking;4479274]Sparano never developed a qb in Miami,or an o-line and watching the phins play I never remember them throwing the ball deep .Except last year after the 0-7 start when he admitted he needed to give up control of the offense to Daboll. The media can shine up Sparano all they want,Sparano is not the answer[/QUOTE]

While you can certainly question whether or not Sparano is the answer, there is no ****ing way you can sit here and say he is "not" the answer, that's just silly.

[QUOTE=jetster;4479070].... I knew that for the Jets to get rid of him we needed a bad year & we got it with the entire offense finally imploding, the defense finally unable to keep from pointing fingers & Woody giving in to the hangmans noose & letting Rex pull the trigger.
    [/QUOTE]

So for the consipircy theoroists, was our last 3 games the NY version of "suck for Luck?"

Our WRs went to Rex, he wouldn't listen, the whole team was frustrated based on the comments they are making now.... maybe they knew the season was shot and said f it for the last three games... let's suck and we'll finally be rid of Sh1tty....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4479299]While you can certainly question whether or not Sparano is the answer, there is no ****ing way you can sit here and say he is "not" the answer, that's just silly.[/QUOTE]

I think Sparano deserves his shot and I am certain the Jets are going to give him plenty of opportunity. I know Rex says he wants to be more involved with the Offense, but I still feel he will be delegating that responsibility to his OC. I think with Sparano he feels more comfortable delegating responsibility b.c Sparano has experience as an HC and they offensive philosophies are similar.

But there are some question marks with Sparano. Lets not act like he wasn't fired. I know he didn't have a QB and that is a big piece, but his expertise is supposed to be the OL and Miami's wasn't anything to write home about.

Hall Of Fame
    One of the biggest failings a coach can have is forcing his system upon his players, and not coaching to the strengths of his players. The best coaches evaluate their talent and tailor the system to their strengths. Sure you have a certain philosophy you want to stick to, but if your players do not match that then you must be able to adapt. This was Shottys biggest failure. To go into last season with the limited talent at WR, and a developing young QB, and try to run a pass first offense was just stupid. Add to that his complete lack of a feel for the game, and you have what happened last season.

This is the kind of negativity that sours this board. Really? & you know this how?
    Belichick didn't get it done in Cleveland so I guess he was a bad choice by Kraft.

Experience is what counts in this league. Knowing how to deal with todays players, & get the most out of them. I'm not saying this is the greatest offensive coach around, I'm saying players "respect" him. That is huge in todays NFL. You don't think the players knew that Shoddy got his position through nepotism?
    Shoddy is the David Shula of coaching.
    Just because you have the last name it doesn't mean squat. Shoddy had more WTF moments of playcalling than any team I remember watching.
    If we're running it down someones throat he got cute & passed it 50 times. Then he would give the ball to LT on 3rd & 2? or bad angle swing passes to stone hands Greene, or have Mulligan involved in WAY TOO MANY PLAYS.
    He only knows one way to play the game!
    Sanchez is not a great touch passer, so what does this idiot do? runs an offense with short routes requiring lighting quick decisions & 7 choices?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4479373]One of the biggest failings a coach can have is forcing his system upon his players, and not coaching to the strengths of his players. The best coaches evaluate their talent and tailor the system to their strengths. Sure you have a certain philosophy you want to stick to, but if your players do not match that then you must be able to adapt. This was Shottys biggest failure. To go into last season with the limited talent at WR, and a developing young QB, and try to run a pass first offense was just stupid. Add to that his complete lack of a feel for the game, and you have what happened last season.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!! I agree 100 percent!!!!

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4479386]BINGO!!! I agree 100 percent!!!![/QUOTE]

Another thing people forget is that Plaxico was in prison for 2 freaking years!
    The guy could not shake loose!
    When teams took Keller & Holmes away Sanchez was a sitting duck.
    Then Rex also picks up an ancient Mason that comes in with bad attitude.

Talk about setting up your young QB to fail.
    Let me tell you guys something, if Tom Brady was playing with the Jets receivers last year he would have been UP THEIR AZZES about the lazy route running.
    Instead we have players rolling their eyes to the TV cameras, with that, "it's not my fault look".
    There is a reason that Plaxico is still a free agent, Mason is out of the league & Holmes was given away for a 5th round pick. Add Shoddys playcalling & Sanchez being hit after taking two steps in his dropback & you end up with a shellshocked QB.
    Tom Brady didn't look to good in the 2010 playoff game when Ellis & Pace were teeing off on him did he?

Hall Of Fame
    I agree, but at what point do the players have to become coachable? There are certain things that are needed to be done to be successful in the NFL. Players must either have the ability to do or be willing to learn these things. I hope we get a combination of the two--Sparano not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and the players willing to buy in and do the necessary things to be successful in the new system.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4479510]I agree, but at what point do the players have to become coachable? There are certain things that are needed to be done to be successful in the NFL. Players must either have the ability to do or be willing to learn these things. I hope we get a combination of the two--Sparano not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and the players willing to buy in and do the necessary things to be successful in the new system.[/QUOTE]

Here is one of my biggest gripes with Shoddy. His playbook is too big! & because of this players never fully grasped the details of any particular play.
    They were okay at everything & experts of nothing!
    They couldn't even successfully run one of the more basic plays in NFL football, a freaking slip screen.
    The TEMPO of his offense was HORRIBLE!
    I've always said that watching his offense was like driving a 12 cylinder Jag with 4 cylinders out & sputtering around.
    Heres a question I've asked many times regarding Shoddys offense.
    How often did we score after a turnover?
    When did we ever hurry up to the line of scrimmage in short yardage to get the opposing team to use their TOs?
    Anyone that remembers Parcells 98 team knows that offense was very basic, bland, & you might say a little boring, but, they were very good at EXECUTING those plays. I was just thinking about our road win vs the Bills in 98. Vinnie hit Dedrick Ward I believe on a beautifully executed playaction pass, might have been the turning point, I hope we see some of that in 2012.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetster;4479574]Here is one of my biggest gripes with Shoddy. His playbook is too big! & because of this players never fully grasped the details of any particular play.
    They were okay at everything & experts of nothing!
    They couldn't even successfully run one of the more basic plays in NFL football, a freaking slip screen.
    [B][SIZE="4"]The TEMPO of his offense was HORRIBLE!
    [/SIZE][/B]I've always said that watching his offense was like driving a 12 cylinder Jag with 4 cylinders out & sputtering around.
    Heres a question I've asked many times regarding Shoddys offense.
    How often did we score after a turnover?
    When did we ever hurry up to the line of scrimmage in short yardage to get the opposing team to use their TOs?
    Anyone that remembers Parcells 98 team knows that offense was very basic, bland, & you might say a little boring, but, they were very good at EXECUTING those plays. I was just thinking about our road win vs the Bills in 98. Vinnie hit Dedrick Ward I believe on a beautifully executed playaction pass, might have been the turning point, I hope we see some of that in 2012.[/QUOTE]

I bolded what I think was the worst aspect of the Schotty offense.

No tempo and no continuity. When the run would work he would inexplicably call a pass just for the sake of trying to be unpredictable. Too much motion, too much misdirection. Drives would be going smooth and then all of a sudden we would have to call a timeout, on offense, AT HOME!!!

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4478736]You know sg3 your post raised a thought for me.

2 "Young up & coming Qb's" who many (football talking heads) have proclaimed as having a brighter future & more upside then Mark Sanchez had terrible sophmore seasons last year and yet you have not heard much about it in comparison to the ripping Mark Sanchez has taken - even before the trade for Tebow.

Sam Bradford & Josh Freeman - Bradford starting only 10 games (6TD's & 6 INT's) with the Rams going 2-14 last year and Freeman starting 15 games with the Bucs going 4-12 last year with 16 TD's & 22 INT's.

Mark Sanchez threw 26 TD's & 18 INT's and the Jets finished 8-8 last season - the worst record we have had since Sanchez has been the starting QB & I won't even get into Sanchez's post-season accomplishments in comparison to Freeman & Bradford's because there is no comparison.

I am glad we have Mark Sanchez over the other 2 and I'll just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Great post AROD, Im not surprised..............