Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sparano vs Schottenheimer

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4479615]I bolded what I think was the worst aspect of the Schotty offense.

No tempo and no continuity. When the run would work he would inexplicably call a pass just for the sake of trying to be unpredictable. Too much motion, too much misdirection. Drives would be going smooth and then [B]all of a sudden we would have to call a timeout, on offense, AT HOME![/B]!![/QUOTE]

I think the worst (or best) example of this was last year, pretty sure it was against the Chiefs, when we called a timeout before our first play from scrimmage!

If memory serves me right and it was against the Chiefs, we drove for a TD on that opening drive, and blew them out, so it didn't matter. But still was a classic hilarious and pathetic Schotty moment.

Schotty's offense sucks!! If Brett Farve thought it sucked, Then it Sucks!! Bradford won't have any success as long as Schotty's calling the plays.

[QUOTE=jpoppy7;4479643]I think the worst (or best) example of this was last year, pretty sure it was against the Chiefs, when we called a timeout before our first play from scrimmage!

If memory serves me right and it was against the Chiefs, we drove for a TD on that opening drive, and blew them out, so it didn't matter. But still was a classic hilarious and pathetic Schotty moment.[/QUOTE]

How many times did we come OUT OF A TIMEOUT & look completely lost, run the clock down & get a delay of game penalty?

Or, we would call a timeout, then run a dive play for a 1 or zero yard gain?

[QUOTE=jpoppy7;4479643]I think the worst (or best) example of this was last year, pretty sure it was against the Chiefs, when we called a timeout before our first play from scrimmage!

If memory serves me right and it was against the Chiefs, we drove for a TD on that opening drive, and blew them out, so it didn't matter. But still was a classic hilarious and pathetic Schotty moment.[/QUOTE]

That in itself should be a fireable offense! A whole week to work on your stupid scripted plays & you call a timeout before your 1st offensive play! Classic!

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4479017]I have never been a big fan of shotty.... I recognize that he did some things well, but overall, he seemed to come up short in many areas.....

Thought his play calling was streaky and lacked tempo.... always left defense out to dry with quick 3 and outs... Worst team in league when Jets defense forced a turnover..... His offensive unit would come on field and seemed lost and disorganized...... He could be creative, but too a fault..
    His team didn't always seem to buy into his calls..

He put together some real nice game plans and nice drives.. but his overalll impact on Jets was a negative in my mind..
    [/QUOTE]

This.

It seemed Schotty would gameplan with all of these creative formation shifts and audibles and what would happen is that the defense would be ready to suffocate it at the line and the offense would look confused, not sharp, mistake-laden and have absolutely no tempo. No setting the tone, no flow, nothing but slow, agonizing 3-and-outs. Every once in a while, he'd cook up a great drive and make you think we had some genius plan in place and we'd be slicing up defenses several times a game, every game. Then, the rest of the game it would be 3-and-outs or turnovers over and over (last year's Giants game comes to mind recently, but you can go back and find losses littered with similar scenarios). After a turnover you want the team to use that momentum to take that stab at the heart of the other team - in so many sports momentum decides the outcome postive or negative. Common sense and psycologically it's effective to go for it when you get that turnover and tons of energy from the fans and players. What would Schotty do? Why, of course! He would run a 1-3 yard run up the gut or a 7-8 yard hook or 3-5 yard slant. And 3 and out. Huh? Glad he's gone. He had to go, and he should've been fired after the '08 collapse. I was livid when he stayed then!
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 05-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4479140]Here is my problem. Miami Dolphins coach Sparano, king of the running game.

The phins have been 14th, 22nd, 4th and 11th the last 4 years.
    The Jets have been 22nd, 4th, 1st, 9th the last 4 years.

I have no problem with change in the OC it was totally necessary, I just don't think Sparano has been that great at the things he's supposed to be great at over the last number of years.[/QUOTE]

I'm not ultra-optimistic on Sparano either but ANYTHING is better at this point than Schittyhymen.

I can't wait to watch Schotty implode and get exposed in St Louis without the talent he had to work with up here. All of his apologists will be hiding underneath a rock somewhere just like the Eric Mangini and Herman Edwards defenders.

kind of like what edison said of invention (90%perspiration 10% inspiration) the same is roughly the same in the nfl. it's all about getting your guys to beat up on the other guys. schitty made the jet offense into a bunch of finesse wimps. they just weren't capable of going out and blowing the other team off the line consistently. hence the large number of 3 and outs. good riddance to the piece of schitty.

the comparison of the two coaches is fairly meaningless because even though they've had the same number of nfl years, schitty has been with the jets for 6 seasons. six seasons of poor offense. kind of magnifies what rex has been able to do with the defense.

the bottom line sparano may not have such a complex playbook but the jets will come out fired up and ready to play. as long as they win, who cares.