Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little Perspective on the Current FO

A Little Perspective on the Current FO

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ranking-york-jets-top-five-best-seasons-time-165400155--nfl.html[/url]

Definitely up for debate, but the first two years in the Ryan administration made it into the top 5 seasons of all time according this this list. Yes, the ship is looking a little questionable right now, but you can't take away what Ryan has done for this organization. I'm a younger Jet fan, only been following the team for 15 years or so, but the more I dive into the history of this team, the easier it is to appreciate the recent success this team has had.

[QUOTE=MagroCrag;4478976][url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ranking-york-jets-top-five-best-seasons-time-165400155--nfl.html[/url]

Definitely up for debate, but the first two years in the Ryan administration made it into the top 5 seasons of all time according this this list. Yes, the ship is looking a little questionable right now, but you can't take away what Ryan has done for this organization. I'm a younger Jet fan, only been following the team for 15 years or so, but the more I dive into the history of this team, the easier it is to appreciate the recent success this team has had.[/QUOTE]
    I think we'll see some positive changes to the offense this season, now that Schotty has taken his "geometry playcalling" to St.Louis. The defense will always be in good hands as long as Rexy is here.

The big question mark is the lockeroom, I hope the team can put 2011 behind them and start with a clean slate.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MagroCrag;4478976][url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ranking-york-jets-top-five-best-seasons-time-165400155--nfl.html[/url]

Definitely up for debate, but the first two years in the Ryan administration made it into the top 5 seasons of all time according this this list. Yes, the ship is looking a little questionable right now, but you can't take away what Ryan has done for this organization. I'm a younger Jet fan, only been following the team for 15 years or so, but the more I dive into the history of this team, the easier it is to appreciate the recent success this team has had.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for having a Sane prespective. To many out here like the Jets have been a powerhouse for the last three decades when we have not. It is nice to see a poster understand that we are in a good time and we had better enjoy it because many us have been here when the Jets had NO CHANCE of winning.

[QUOTE=dustykeller;4478985]I think we'll see some positive changes to the offense this season, now that Schotty has taken his "geometry playcalling" to St.Louis. The defense will always be in good hands as long as Rexy is here.

The big question mark is the lockeroom, I hope the team can put 2011 behind them and start with a clean slate.[/QUOTE]

The Locker room will be fine this season...The ability to have an offseason program, OTAs, TC in Cortland will all help, as will the departure of Plax..And, as reported, Rex's more involvement with the team (meetings, teaching etc...)

Hard to argue with two seasons that ended in championship games losses, but looking purely at the regular season, 1985 has to be on the list before either '09 or '10. We gagged in the wildcard game but that team won 11 games - only the '98 and '10 teams won as many in my lifetime - and played the eventual-champion Bears pretty tough, at least defensively.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    On the field, Rex Era > Parcells Era.

Parcells only gets credit for "changing the culture". His actual on-field and front-office work was, overall, very average. One amazing year.....to Rex's two.

Cue the Parcells Cult.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479437]On the field, Rex Era > Parcells Era.

Parcells only gets credit for "changing the culture". His actual on-field and front-office work was, overall, very average. One amazing year.....to Rex's two.

Cue the Parcells Cult.[/QUOTE]

Why, it's true.

Parcells made the playoffs once in three seasons.

He won one game, home vs Jax.

Rex has [B]FOUR[/B] (thanks Savage) road victories on his resume.

Parcells went to a AFCCG and Rex to two.

Hard to ague the point, if Parcells did change the culture of the team, the way it was perceived.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479447]Why, it's true.

Parcells made the playoffs once in three seasons.

He won one game, home vs Jax.

[B]Rex has three road victories on his resume[/B].

Parcells went to a AFCCG and Rex to two.

Hard to ague the point, if Parcells did change the culture of the team, the way it was perceived.[/QUOTE]

Make that 4..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Savage69;4479452]Make that 4..:yes:[/QUOTE]

What the hell, how did I write that?

Edit time.Thanks!

Banned
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4479452]Make that 4..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Yep.

2009: @Cincinnati, @San Diego
    2010: @Indy, @New England

Imagine what could have been if we had a real offensive coordinator for those two seasons....

All Pro
    Weeb is the only coach to take us to and win a super bowl.

Only Jet fans with low standards are going to argue which coach who couldn't win the AFC Championship game is better.

I want to change the culture on this board. Lets stop talking about AFC Championship losses as some type of badge of honor. Its been over 40 years. it is time to get a Super Bowl. Anything less is a failure.

Crazy. Parcells inherited a team with a combined 4-28 record the previous two seasons. He then went 9-7, missing the playoffs by one game, then 12-4, losing in the AFCCG after reviving Vinny Testaverde's career. Had Vinny not gone down on opening day '99, who knows what that team could have done.

Rex (who I like) inherited a team that contended until the final month in '08. Rex has done a very good job, but he is not Parcells.

All Pro
    It's worth noting that Parcells won the division and delivered a home playoff game (Rex has yet to) and the main reason Parcells only had one playoff win is that we had a first round bye that year, which is practically a playoff win itself.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4479459]Weeb is the only coach to take us to and win a super bowl.

Only Jet fans with low standards are going to argue which coach who couldn't win the AFC Championship game is better.

I want to change the culture on this board. Lets stop talking about AFC Championship losses as some type of badge of honor. Its been over 40 years. it is time to get a Super Bowl. Anything less is a failure.[/QUOTE]

Weeb was retired before I was born.

Nothing wrong with discussing coaches I've actually seen coach.

Don't know if I would call myself part of the Parcells cult...but I do agree with this statement. However, changing the culture of the Jets in 97 was a monumental task, which made almost making the playoffs in '97 and the magic carpet ride in '98 all the more impressive. After the decade of losing and losing miserably, for me the only thing that can possibly top '98 is a superbowl win....and I can guarantee I won't enjoy the ride nearly as much as I enjoyed '98.

[QUOTE=PAJET;4479466]Don't know if I would call myself part of the Parcells cult...but I do agree with this statement. However, changing the culture of the Jets in 97 was a monumental task, which made almost making the playoffs in '97 and the magic carpet ride in '98 all the more impressive. After the decade of losing and losing miserably, for me the only thing that can possibly top '98 is a superbowl win....and I can guarantee I won't enjoy the ride nearly as much as I enjoyed '98.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Rex's stats may look better on paper, but Parcells took a perennial loser and turned them into a powerhouse in two years.

'09 and '10 were fun for us fans, there's no denying that. But in parts of both seasons, the team looked very weak offensively. In '09, they were only in the playoffs because of how dominant the Colts had been all season. In '10, the painful losses to GB & MIA plus 45-3 on Monday night had this team looking like the benefactors of a weak schedule and a handful of miracle wins.

That '98 team though was dominant. When they went on the run late in the season, there was no doubt that the team was going to make noise in the playoffs. There were no question marks on that roster.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Toooon;4479460]Crazy. Parcells inherited a team with a combined 4-28 record the previous two seasons. Rex has done a very good job, but he is not Parcells.[/QUOTE]

What Parcells did his first two years, two, was admirable and vital to the franchise. No question about it.

With that said, it was one average year, and one truly great (for us) year.

It was followed by a horrible year that was equally Parcells mismanagement as it was Vinny's fluke injury. Parcells drafted poorly. Parcells handed a Hall of Fame Head Coach to one of our most bitter rivals by his personal mismanagement. And he left the franchise almost in as bad a shape with Groh, massive too-old-veterans contracts and a lack of talent as it was when he got there. Parcells mistakes at least equal his successes in New York Green and White.

Frankly, Parcells last season, and Groh's only year, were not much better than much of the late 80's early 90's period before Parcells, average to below average. But because Parcells followed the worst Coach in franchise history, he get more points than his on-field results and off-field bungling and disloyalty warrant.

Rex, thus far, has had unquestionably more on-field success, more playoff years, more AFCCG's, drafting success, with vastly better picks than under Parcells, and overall success than Parcells had. He also stuck around (Parcells would have quit after last season and leaft the Jets in a lurch) when things got difficult. Adn he didn't give the Dolphins the next Multi-Super Bowl Winning Coach by being totally inept as a front office person.
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-29-2012 at 12:25 PM.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4479476]Exactly. Rex's stats may look better on paper, but Parcells took a perennial loser and turned them into a powerhouse in two years.

'09 and '10 were fun for us fans, there's no denying that. But in parts of both seasons, the team looked very weak offensively. In '09, they were only in the playoffs because of how dominant the Colts had been all season. In '10, the painful losses to GB & MIA plus 45-3 on Monday night had this team looking like the benefactors of a weak schedule and a handful of miracle wins.

That '98 team though was dominant. When they went on the run late in the season, there was no doubt that the team was going to make noise in the playoffs. There were no question marks on that roster.[/QUOTE]

Agree, that '98 team was a lot better IMO than the '09 or '10 teams. Though both got to the same place, the '98 team was legitimately one of the 3 best teams in the league, and would've had a great chance of winning the Super Bowl had they made it. People forget that not only was the team 12-4, they were 12-1 with Vinny as QB (or 13-2 including playoffs; of course Parcells could be criticized for not starting Vinny earlier, and/or for going back to Foley briefly) The '09 team needed a lot of luck to get in, and the '10 team also was just a wild card.

Hall Of Fame
    '98 > '09,'10.

Hell, I think the 2008 roster was better than the 2009 and 2010 ones.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Toooon;4479460]Crazy. Parcells inherited a team with a combined 4-28 record the previous two seasons. He then went 9-7, missing the playoffs by one game, then 12-4, losing in the AFCCG after reviving Vinny Testaverde's career. Had Vinny not gone down on opening day '99, who knows what that team could have done.

Rex (who I like) inherited a team that contended until the final month in '08. Rex has done a very good job, but he is not Parcells.[/QUOTE]

1. That team should never have gone 4-28. Kotite and no QB play led us there.

2. Parcells used to say it all the time, "you are what your record says you are." Parcells was one mediocre season, one 9-7 season and one great season in NY.

Then he ran and left a mess in his wake.

Parcells, amazingly enough, can't match up with Rex. BPs one great season happened in both of Rex 1st two seasons, with a rookie QB.