Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Little Perspective on the Current FO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4479842]
    But I know, that makes me a homer. The fact that we've still had a better run than most teams in the NFL pales in comparison to Manning missing 1/2 a game . . .:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

No. It doesnt make you a homer, but you are being a hypochondriac. Nobody would "throw back" a SB b.c we backed into the playoffs. You are taking a minor point some of us have made and are taking it to the extreme.

I believe 2009 was a gift from Polian. I didn't say it doesn't count, nor did I say I would throw it back. We take what we get, but there has to be an acknowledgement of the circumstances. That is all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4479851]No. It doesnt make you a homer, but you are being a hypochondriac. Nobody would "throw back" a SB b.c we backed into the playoffs. You are taking a minor point some of us have made and are taking it to the extreme.

I believe 2009 was a gift from Polian. I didn't say it doesn't count, nor did I say I would throw it back. We take what we get, but there has to be an acknowledgement of the circumstances. That is all.[/QUOTE]

You call it a minor point, but we have people calling for a FO overhaul if we don't make the playoffs this year, and a new QB if the current one doesn't improve by leaps and bounds.

So no, it doesn't come across as "minor points" . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4479853]You call it a minor point, but we have people calling for a FO overhaul if we don't make the playoffs this year, and a new QB if the current one doesn't improve by leaps and bounds.

So no, it doesn't come across as "minor points" . . .[/QUOTE]

Let me preface this by saying that I think Tanny has a Glenn Sather type of deal with Woody so I do not think he will ever be in danger.

But for the sake of entertaining the thought . . . If we don't make the playoffs this year I wouldn't cry if there were changes in the FO. NFL is a performance based business and Tanny has been somewhat inconsistent. I do not think he is a great evaluator of talent, however I do think he is good at contracts and controlling the cap even though I do think he does gamble a little too much. But I would rather have a GM/owner that were willing to take some risks than have one that was gun shy.

Also if the team crumbles like it did last year then I think it would be very fair to call for a change b.c IMO that would show an inability to adapt and make corrections.

I do not think Rex and Tanny are on the hot seat with Woody, they may be on the hot seat with some media but that doesn't count. I like Rex but I think he would get fired before Tanny. Like I said before, I think he might have a lifetime contract. And I do think Rex might get a shot at another QB if Sanchez doesn't work out. So IMO, I do not think Tanny is in any danger and I think Rex is only in danger if the team ends up being like it was last year.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4479784]A gun-slinging QB at the top of his game.
    Big-time playmakers on offense.
    A team that won 10 of its last 11, including 3 huge wins against the AFC East (all playoff contenders at that point) to close out the year.
    A defense that put on the clamps on for most of the games down the stretch.

If this isn't your favorite season as a fan, then I think you've forgotten the 4th-quarter comeback against Seattle (plus the Vinny T bad call), the Chad Cascadden fumble return for a TD to beat Marino and the Dolphins, and the bomb to Dedric Ward to win the division the following week.

As great as that three-game stretch was in '10 with the two OT wins and the Texans miracle, those three games in '98 were much better (IMO) b/c they were against playoff-caliber teams.

I don't think anyone here is ****ting on the team. '09 & '10 were great runs that could have easily ended in SB appearances had a couple of plays gone differently.

But if you're a Jets fan like me who missed Namath but watched the misery of the '80s & '90s, I can't see how the '98 season isn't still the best memory you have of this team.[/QUOTE]

I'm not taking anything away from that team, but it wasn't any better than the 2010 team. Yes QB play was better and we had CM. As I said the O was much better, but the Rex Jets are fun to watch when the Jets are on D. While BPs Jets had a nice D they were not in the same league.

Sh1tting on the Jets was in response to being told that if the Bengals had played the last game of the 09 season that we wouldn't have made the playoffs. I'm saying they played everyone who wasn't hurt and were losing 27-0 at half. They then pulled everyone. So I don't get that comment. Outside of Francessa it's nonsense. Given that we easily beat them a week later in the playoff game in Cincy I don't get why anyone would think that the Bengals would have beaten the Jets at GS even if they had to. I assume they knew they had to bat them a week later in Cincy.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.