Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Namath's best game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Namath's best game

Just saw on NFL channel on 10 Best that Broadway Joe threw for 496 yards on 15-26 passing in his last meeting with Johnny Unitas. What freakish #'s. Unitas was 26-42 for 372 I think they said. I was 3 and missed that one.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;4479093]Just saw on NFL channel on 10 Best that Broadway Joe threw for 496 yards on 15-26 passing in his last meeting with Johnny Unitas. What freakish #'s. Unitas was 26-42 for 372 I think they said. I was 3 and missed that one.[/QUOTE]

Remember it well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;4479093]Just saw on NFL channel on 10 Best that Broadway Joe threw for 496 yards on 15-26 passing in his last meeting with Johnny Unitas. What freakish #'s. Unitas was 26-42 for 372 I think they said. I was 3 and missed that one.[/QUOTE]

In before all the ahole Namath haters. Namath was scary good but came into the league with bad knees.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to explain to people that weren't there for Namath just how good he was.

Even before adding his whole rock star persona into the equation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember it well also. John Riggens had an amazing play pulling away from a CB on a deep throw down the sidelines. Unbelievable for a FB to be able to do that. Rich Caster and Ed Bell also had really good days.

Not such a good day for our D though. :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479111]It's hard to explain to people that weren't there for Namath just how good he was.

Even before adding his whole rock star persona into the equation.[/QUOTE]

All they do is compare to modern day stats without realizing that the rules back then were skewed incredibly towards defense. DBs could make contact virtually anywhere on the field, interference was rare by today's standards, QBs went almost completely unprotected from blows to head and roughing, it was just lopsided in favor of defenses molesting offensive players. Namath was incredible. But the haters will be haters. Not worth even trying to convince them. Don't waste your time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4479121]All they do is compare to modern day stats without realizing that the rules back then were skewed incredibly towards defense. DBs could make contact virtually anywhere on the field, interference was rare by today's standards, QBs went almost completely unprotected from blows to head and roughing, it was just lopsided in favor of defenses molesting offensive players. Namath was incredible. But the haters will be haters. Not worth even trying to convince them. Don't waste your time.[/QUOTE]

This...... x 1000

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    remember it well

Richard Caster caught something like 142 TD passes in that game

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4479121]All they do is compare to modern day stats without realizing that the rules back then were skewed incredibly towards defense. DBs could make contact virtually anywhere on the field, interference was rare by today's standards, QBs went almost completely unprotected from blows to head and roughing, it was just lopsided in favor of defenses molesting offensive players. Namath was incredible. But the haters will be haters. Not worth even trying to convince them. Don't waste your time.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to find someone who played in that era who wasn't impressed with Namaths arm and vision.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4479124]It's hard to find someone who played in that era who wasn't impressed with Namaths arm and vision.[/QUOTE]

In addition, something I never saw for myself until the Namath Biography was aired on HBO, how athletic he was with his legs of all things in highschool and beofre the knee injuries in college. I was astonished at the films. If Namath was in college now, with all the sophisticated surgical repair jobs available nowadays, he would soon be dominating the NFL along with or even above the likes of Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Marino or any other top flight QB of the modern era.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4479128]In addition, something I never saw for myself until the Namath Biography was aired on HBO, how athletic he was with his legs of all things in highschool and beofre the knee injuries in college. I was astonished at the films. If Namath was in college now, with all the sophisticated surgical repair jobs available nowadays, he would soon be dominating the NFL along with or even above the likes of Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Marino or any other top flight QB of the modern era.[/QUOTE]

In the minds of many...you and I are homers. I absolutely chose the Jets over the Giants, to the dismay of many when as a young boy I watched Namath in the Yale bowl tie the Giants and win in OT.

The mink coat, Raquel on his arm..... What could be better. yet here I am...no SBs in 42 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Given what I see today, I seriously doubt that many would have been able to play in that era.

Can you imagine Tommy girl getting hit as hard and as often as a well protected QB like Namath was hit?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4479128]In addition, something I never saw for myself until the Namath Biography was aired on HBO, how athletic he was with his legs of all things in highschool and beofre the knee injuries in college. I was astonished at the films. If Namath was in college now, with all the sophisticated surgical repair jobs available nowadays, he would soon be dominating the NFL along with or even above the likes of Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Marino or any other top flight QB of the modern era.[/QUOTE]

Namaths original injury would have been scoped. Never would have played to the point of needing additional surgery.

The process of going into the knee to repair it caused more problems down the road than the original injury would have.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479130]Given what I see today, I seriously doubt that many would have been able to play in that era.

Can you imagine Tommy girl getting hit as hard and as often as a well protected QB like Namath was hit?[/QUOTE]

Brady is the perfect example of the pussification of the QB position. King of the pusssies, if you will. He would have been destroyed in a single season the 1960's.

EDIT: I probably should delete this post because now all the Pats trolls will hijack this thread to defend Brady's sandy vagina. It's a thread on Namath boys. Back off.
    Last edited by Dcat; 05-28-2012 at 04:10 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

hey! you can't make that any clearer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4479133]Brady is the perfect example of the pussification of the QB position. King of the pusssies, if you will. He would have been destroyed in a single season the 1960's.

EDIT: I probably should delete this post because now all the Pats trolls will hijack this thread to defend Brady's sandy vagina. It's a thread on Namath boys. Back off.[/QUOTE]

Sandy Vagina????? That's a first for me.....:P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Namath was a marvel in his prime. The guy had it all, the physical ability, the looks, the charisma and the ability to put it all together. Simply magnificent. Damn those knee injuries.

Roooll Tiiide!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4479133]Brady is the perfect example of the pussification of the QB position. King of the pusssies, if you will. He would have been destroyed in a single season the 1960's.

EDIT: I probably should delete this post because now all the Pats trolls will hijack this thread to defend Brady's sandy vagina. It's a thread on Namath boys. Back off.[/QUOTE]

If by pussification you mean takes advantage of the current rules to throw for a gazillion yards, I agree.

Namath was the greatest QB of his time, Brady the greatest of his.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4479183]Namath was a marvel in his prime. The guy had it all, the physical ability, the looks, the charisma and the ability to put it all together. Simply magnificent. Damn those knee injuries.

Roooll Tiiide!!![/QUOTE]

You really should put NO HOMO on a post like this.:D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    THAT was the game that made me a Jets fan for life, that's how well I remember it. Both D's sucked that day and it turned into an old-fashioned AFL-style shootout, similar to when O'Brien and Marino kept slinging TDs against each other 14 years later.

IIRC, that 1972 classic was the only regular-season meeting between Namath and Unitas (I guess one or the other was hurt in other match-ups), and also in that game the Colts successfully pulled off the same flea flicker for a TD that they had tried and botched in Super Bowl III, and many of the same players were in both games. Don't remember if Jimmy Orr was also the receiver the second time, though.